Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

After 10 years, I'm back on a PC (Mac Mini M1)

Simply because I can't do two things on my iPad(s)

1) Use high end cameras as input
2) Run obscure 32 bit Windows programs

I can do both on a Mac mini m1.

Canon released a utility last year that allows you to use a DSLR/fancy lens combo as a videoconferencing camera. This works perfectly with Zoom. (Imagine if we could not use high end audio interfaces with our iPads, btw.)

I am also running a Windows science simulation from 1999 and capturing it with a 32-bit screen recorder, on Windows 10 ARM beta, on Parallels beta, running on my Mini. I'm thrilled.

As a bonus, I am now back with Logic, and MainStage, and FCP, and Motion. Etc.

What is old is new again.

Comments

• That's a lot of layers of emulation. I didn't know that MS had out the x86 layer for Windows ARM. How's the general speed of the emulation for the x86 programs?

• edited February 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    That's a lot of layers of emulation. I didn't know that MS had out the x86 layer for Windows ARM. How's the general speed of the emulation for the x86 programs?

I wasn’t sure they had it out either. So I investigated. It flies.

• edited February 2021

I designed this as a headless set up. Using Luna, Which is a little hardware dongle, I can use my iPad Pro as a monitor when I do not have access to my 42 inch 4K TV panel. The set up exceeds my expectations in every possible way

In addition to the science simulation, which is actually an interactive visualization, I have access to a number of incredibly innovative music education programs. Is anyone here familiar with guitar and bass ear trainer, for example? Gbet?

• I am also running a Windows science simulation from 1999 and capturing it with a 32-bit screen recorder, on Windows 10 ARM beta, on Parallels beta, running on my Mini. I'm thrilled.

What is the performance of Windows 10 arm on parallels beta for M1?
    Does Windows10 arm run x86 apps?

• @ecstaticax said:

I am also running a Windows science simulation from 1999 and capturing it with a 32-bit screen recorder, on Windows 10 ARM beta, on Parallels beta, running on my Mini. I'm thrilled.

Good and yes

• Luna looks very interesting !

• @audiobussy said:

@ecstaticax said:

Good and yes

Thanks

• edited February 2021

@CRAKROX said:
    Luna looks very interesting !

The performance of Luna, especially wired, is stunning without a doubt

This current set up is ridiculously good and not that expensive. I got the entry level Mac mini with no insurance, etc. on sale. Especially easy if you have lots of iPad USB-C, BT, & hdmi stuff etc. (i’ve been using Apple magic keyboards with my iPad set up for years, with a multifunction mouse). I’m using a $200 4K TV panel as well. It looks unbelievable. Things are razor sharp, etc.

• @audiobussy said:

@CRAKROX said:

This current set up is ridiculously good and not that expensive. I got the entry level Mac mini with no insurance, etc. on sale. Especially easy if you have lots of iPad USB-C, BT, & hdmi stuff etc. (i’ve been using Apple magic keyboards with my iPad set up for years, with a multifunction mouse). I’m using a $200 4K TV panel as well. It looks unbelievable. Things are razor sharp, etc.

I’ve been thinking about getting a new Mac for ages, was going to go the MacBook route after my last two iMac’s however I’m being swayed towards a Mac Mini as well after reading this thread.

• edited February 2021

@CRAKROX said:

@audiobussy said:

@CRAKROX said:

I’ve been thinking about getting a new Mac for ages, was going to go the MacBook route after my last two iMac’s however I’m being swayed towards a Mac Mini as well after reading this thread.

With Luna, and an iPad, it’s just a tiny little box to throw into a bag

Would I break it out in a café? Of course not. I prefer my iPad for 90% of the stuff that I do casually

My only recommendation would be to resist the temptation to upgrade. Rely instead on external SSD’s etc.