Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No drone unturned - Monolithic Undertow - new book about drone music

Just saw this article on a new book about drone music in the Guardian now.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/10/drone-music-ancient-modern-history-monolithic-undertow-harry-sword?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Seems like a good chance to ask people what their fave apps for making drone music are. 😍 Obviously there is Droneo, what else? And feel free to share your favourite drone artists/tracks.

Comments

• edited February 2021

Been waiting for this to drop for months. His musical selections for that article are killer.

• Yeah - been really enjoying a few of them

• @celtic_elk said:
    Been waiting for this to drop for months. His musical selections for that article are killer.

I totally agree.

• La Monte Young. Visiting his Dream House installation back when I lived in NY was a truly profound experience.

John Cage, specifically his piece ASAP as performed in Halberstadt. Duration 639 years. Hard to top as far as drones go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_as_Possible

Apps: mononoke, Fundamental, homebrews in miRack.

• I like a good drone! GeoShred has a Sympathetic Resonator effect which has quite a sophisticated drone facility. Taqs.Im World Synth is also good.

• Yeah! Love that drone in Geoshred. > @GeoTony said:

I like a good drone! GeoShred has a Sympathetic Resonator effect which has quite a sophisticated drone facility. Taqs.Im World Synth is also good.

• mIKA vAINIO / Pan Sonic. Currently app wise : koala - chop to single wave cycles - loop and hold then go to work on the FX page

• iTabla is my go-to.

• I've found the best drones are made by routing freezeverb FX (of electric guitar sounds in my case but could be any sound source) to its own track where you apply filters, pitch shifting, you name it. If we're mentioning specific apps, I've used the freezeverbs in Discord4 and Turnado for this to great effect.

I'm also about to buy Humbletune's Elsa and I'm pretty sure someone said that's capable of wondrous drone sounds

• A less obvious choice, I make all my drones on Magellan and Sunrizer.

• Nice play on words @Gavinski

Borderlands Granular would be my pick

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Nice play on words @Gavinski

Not my okay on words unfortunately, that was the title of the Guardian article hehe

• Wotja for the starter track and then noodle over it in Noise. Hours later, notice that night has fallen and you need to eat food.

• I completely missed that [obviously] 😂

@Gavinski said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Nice play on words @Gavinski

Not my okay on words unfortunately, that was the title of the Guardian article hehe

• Any pad type sound could work.
    Pads and drones are practically synonymous, just drones tend to be monotone and pads are used more harmonically.
    Ambient and drone are also very related. Ambient is mainly the background only, drone has some contemplative soloing going on over the ambient drone backing.

All in general sense, of course.

• Spacecraft and borderlands granular are the drone apps for me. One instance for each drone layer, drop in a few appropriate samples, done.
    And with multiple open windows, you can play them live - simple, fun and works with the eyes closed.

• Virtual ANS 3 is a fantastic choice. Import + spectralize audio, + a suite of drawing tools.
    Hexaglyphics is great for all kinds of noise.
    SonicLab Fundamental, while not perfect, never fails to create something interesting.
    Gauss, because tape loops.
    iVCS3, because its an unpredictable beast that seems more suited for beep making than actual melodicism.
    iDensity, and as a couple people already mentioned, Borderlands and Spacecraft. Granular is just fantastic for droning and creating breathing textures.
    Drambo, cause you can do just about anything. 100 oscillators, why not?
    Audiostretch - which can turn absolutely any source into a drone.

• edited February 2021

Nice one @Gavinski. Think I’ll order that book, love the history of music and especially when it crosses the avant--garde and electronic realms. My go to drone apps would be Spacecraft, FRMS and Continua. A mix of all three with a touch of Alteza keeps me amused for eons!

• @rs2000 said:
    Spacecraft and borderlands granular are the drone apps for me

Spacecraft, yes! How could I forget? Been lost in there for hours...

• i’m still hoping to one day stumble across the ideal AUM set up for an automated eternal Jon Hassell circa 1984 sound

• Drone FX can generate some nice drones. If, however, you want to use
    it in a project, you’ll have to make a screenrecording because there’s no
    connectivity, not even background audio. Check out the website, where
    you can hear some drone examples. https://www.dronefx.com/
    If you press the play button (top left) and wait a couple of seconds,
    the app automatically generates a 5-Part drone with some of it’s 200
    included sounds. Or you can try it yourself by pressing the little keyboard
    icons at the very bottom to reveal a playing surface for each of the 5 parts.

https://apps.apple.com/app/drone-fx/id499500746?l=nl

• Particularly enjoying the Sarah Davachi album from the list in the article. Here's one of the tracks

• Mononoke gives me endless hours of enjoyment.

• Just started reading this (ebook is out already, physical book not yet) - seems very promising indeed!

• edited February 2021

Oh, I almost forgot our Drambone (Dronebo?) done in collab with one of the great D beta testers.

Starting from a private discussion about wavetable distortion and looking for sweet curves and shapes B) this was kind of a side product that came out of a weird experiment I just had to do when he sent me the Graphic Shaper presets:
    https://patchstorage.com/instant-meditation/

Hit Play and turn down the Oscillator "Tune" if you think it sounds not droney enough.
    Headphones recommended.

• @rs2000 said:
    Oh, I almost forgot our Drambone (Dronebo?) done in collab with one of the great D beta testers.

Starting from a private discussion about wavetable distortion and looking for sweet curves and shapes B) this was kind of a side product that came out of a weird experiment I just had to do when he sent me the Graphic Shaper presets:
    https://patchstorage.com/instant-meditation/

Hit Play and turn down the Oscillator "Tune" if you think it sounds not droney enough.
    Headphones recommended.

Sounds great, will try to check that out.

• One technique I use is a simple latched arp with a low pass filter to take out the high frequencies, drenched in long-tail reverb. Really any synth app will do but lately I’ve been using Volt Synth with Eventide’s Blackhole ‘verb, or sometimes Stratosphere Cloud. I sometimes put a slow rate LFO on the filter to periodically let some of the higher frequencies slip out. Fun!

• @Sciential said:
    One technique I use is a simple latched arp with a low pass filter to take out the high frequencies, drenched in long-tail reverb. Really any synth app will do but lately I’ve been using Volt Synth with Eventide’s Blackhole ‘verb, or sometimes Stratosphere Cloud. I sometimes put a slow rate LFO on the filter to periodically let some of the higher frequencies slip out. Fun!

That sounds like a cool technique 👍

• I made a drone last night featuring Borderlands. I was in a dark place.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I made a drone last night featuring Borderlands. I was in a dark place.

I like that. Hope you feel better today.