Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to build an iPad Groovebox?

Hi folks,

I need some advice again: before I give in the hype around the new Circuit Tracks, I'd like to explore the possibilities that go with my iPad Pro (from 2016 ;-) )

Which app and which controller would you recommend to make a simple Groovebox like the Circuit out of your iPad? As for apps: I got em all, except Drambo, which seems daunting to me, but I might be wrong. I like Grooverider, but the menu-diving is not Circuit-y enough for me. Koala is great as a Sampler and together with Novations own Groovebox app it might be just the deal!

And in terms of controllers: I have the Korg Nano Key Studio, but I find it kind of odd mashing out beats with it, since it only has 8 pads. I sold my Midifighter 3D and Twister btw :-( I'm looking for a pad controller, that not only works as a normal trigger controller, but has predefined scales to jam out with synths and also got additional knobs. Is the the little Beatstep a viable option? Or shall I go Pro and buy the bigger brother? I actually haven't looked at, what Akai has to offer. Or maybe a Launchpad X? I'm totally undecisive :-D Please help!

Cheers
osKar

Comments

• Drambo is by far the most flexible app with the deepest MIDI control options.
    You can basically build a Groovebox to match your own spec, much more than just a "Circuit Tracks".
    The only MIDI feature not supported currently is LED feedback to light up these controller buttons 😉

• ok great!
    and what controller pairs perfectly with Drambo?

• edited February 2021

@osKar said:
    ok great!
    and what controller pairs perfectly with Drambo?

You can pair them all.
    Seriously, both the cheapo and the better ones with incremental encoder knobs can be used, it's totally a matter of your personal taste which one to use. Just don't trust any "must have" recommendation 😅

• Arturia Beatstep: 16 velocity and pressure pads plus 16 endless encoders - great bang for the buck
    • Hercules Starlight if you want DJ style control with crossfader for extensive use of Drambo scenes, scratch wheels and a few knobs too
    • Novation Launch Control XL if the mixer is the most important part of Drambo to you
    • Arturia Keystep if you need a keyboard anyway and don't need too many knobs to map
    • The KORG nanoKontrol series are great too
  • edited February 2021

Thanks a looot. That's what I was looking for! awesome
    Do you know by any chance if the beatstep does have note input assistances like scales? It has labels that indicate that...

• I’m attempting to build something with Drambo and a Beatstep using MIDI Designer on my iPhone as a screen for the controller so I know what the knobs control. It’s become quite complicated but should be cool once I’m done. The Beatstep doesn’t have a scale mode, the labels are for the on board sequencer, though for my project I intend to build a scale mode in MIDI Designer.

The MIDI Designer element is potentially unnecessary and over complicated but I want to have as many controls as possible and have to touch the iPad screen as little as possible. If I can get it working how I’d like I can stop trawling eBay for MPCs, Octatracks, MC-707s and the like and save myself some money.

TLDR My vote goes to Drambo with a Beatstep.

• Thanks! that sounds pretty complicated though. Does Navichord work with Beatstep? That would be wonderful.
    I know it did with my QuNexus before it got sticky and icky :-(

• Depends on what exactly you want. If you exactly want Circuit just on iPad with MIDI controller, I recommend you simply buying Circuit ;) Otherwise, you'd be disappointed by trying out to mimic it and it'd never be close enough. The integration of MIDI controllers with iOS apps is just the bare minimum currently, you'd never get such deep integration. I can tell as I already wrote thousand lines of code in Mozaic and monstrous project including both Drambo and AUM to get most out of AKAI APC40, which is BTW quite similar to Circuit, but still the result is full of compromises. For me, it's OK because I can tailor it to my needs, but for the costs of spending incredible amount of time on writing scripts and building crazy interconnected projects, which is definitely not for everyone and will never be as polished as any commercially available solution.
    So don't expect miracles, but you can still get a lot out of what people recommended you, rs2000 provided very nice list of controllers that you can use. And I am of course a bit biased but I'd also vote for Drambo, it's the closest you can get to "groovebox" while still having extremely broad options either by building own instruments in Drambo or using any of the AUs out there.

• @osKar I haven’t used Navichord personally but having looked at the app description it should work.

@skrat APC 40 looks like a great Drambo controller. How customisable is it? Do you get multiple banks of encoders or is it just one CC per knob?

• edited February 2021

@osKar said:
    Thanks a looot. That's what I was looking for! awesome
    Do you know by any chance if the beatstep does have note input assistances like scales? It has labels that indicate that...

I would do that inside Drambo. Here's an example with 3 different scales that you can switch between either by assigning MIDI pads or a knob:

Edit: Yes, the Beatstep supports a few preset and one custom scale but that's only for note entry in the onboard sequencer when using the knobs, not for live playing on the pads.

• I've got my eye on the oxi one as an ios sequencer. Very powerful, bluetooth midi, plus lots more connectivity for outboard gear. This running whatever you want in AUM might close to turning the ipad into a groovebox.

• Since you have a nano key studio you could just use Korg Gadget, but I guess it’s too daw-like for you.
    I would actually recommend Drambo too. Probably my most valued app buy since AUM.
    Regarding controllers: My new Launchpad Pro just arrived at home (while I‘m still at work 😓). It has a lot of features you are looking for (scales, a sequencer, but no knobs), though it is quite pricey. I‘ll have to see how well it plays with the different setups in the coming days.

Btw. I sold my Circuit to get a launchpad, because the circuit never really clicked for me. I always thought, that I could do the same stuff better on the iPad. When Drambo released there was even less incentive to grab the circuit.

• @skrat @Artvarg thanks for your advices! I actually have the original Circuit and I'm quite fond of using it. I had never produced that many loops before - that's quite amazing. That's why I'm so keen on the new Circuit Tracks and whether it's possible to emulate such a fast workflow on the iPad - because more possibilities!

For me the DAWs on iOS are a bit to much. The fun gets lost pretty fast, when it comes to the technical stuff and the precision work. I mean the apps out there are highly professional these days, but also very complicated and time consuming. I often caught myself spending to much time on eqing and mixing in the writing phase, which hinders creativity. Therefore I welcome anything that's like a groovebox. However I'll buy Drambo next month for sure! I don't assume there'll be any sale on this soon ;-)

• @rs2000 thanks, another point for buying Drambo!

@kveis Yes I thought so. So the Beatstep it is then. It might be a while before I get one though.

Thanks guys for your support! This forum is always really helpful in such situations :smile:

• "Groovebox" by Ampify (Novation) is worth checking out before you start spending any money.

It is fairly limited, but so is the circuit and that's a good thing if you get option paralysis. It's also very quick to use and actually make music with. You can get quite a bit done with the free version and it's thankfully very hands on... No menu diving, face LCD screen or emulated shift keys ;-)

I like it for just playing; without any ulterior motives, as an instrument in and of itself.

Otherwise, you can build your own in Drambo or AUM (or a combination of both).

Groovebox is the polar opposite of Drambo/AUM in that it's easy to get right in there without complications but it will get to a point where you want more. But IMHO that's perfect, as one you get to the needing more phase, the idea has been generated, so job done :-)

• yes Groovebox is one of my personal favs. This and Koala is quite a cool combo!

• edited February 2021

Drambo+Launchpad X MK3 everyday:

• @kveis said:
    @osKar I haven’t used Navichord personally but having looked at the app description it should work.

@skrat APC 40 looks like a great Drambo controller. How customisable is it? Do you get multiple banks of encoders or is it just one CC per knob?

Depending which track you've selected with track selection buttons, the CCs are sent on respective MIDI channel. That means for the "device control" part (8 encoders + 8 buttons) you get 8 x 9 = 72 unique CCs and 8 x 9 = 72 unique buttons. These are banked within APC40 so as you switch the tracks using track switch buttons, the encoders and buttons remember the values saved for each track.

The top row of encoders is always sent with the same CCs on the same channel, but I made a script so you can make use of the 3 switches on the left (pan / sends / user) so you have 3 x 8 = 24 additional unique CCs and they switch and save similar to track switching. Of course, no need to use them for pan / send / user, I use them for gain / filter / last touched device control encoder.

Other than that, it's "just" a MIDI controller - buttons send note on/off messages, encoders and faders send MIDI CCs. So you can map basically everything you can touch. Only exception are track switch buttons, they instead send a "snapshot" of device encoder CCs. I used a trick that captures this and sends extra note on/off message, which then allows you to MIDI map also these buttons (which is very handy for Drambo as it can MIDI map track focus switch).

What may be a bit disappointing is the fact that the biggest part of the controller - the grid of 8x5 LED buttons - is by default just a simple buttons sending notes 0 - 39 (which is C-2 - D#1 which is not so useful for playing melodies). If you hold it, it will light up with green light and that's it. Also beware, they're not velocity sensitive, they're just a "trigger" buttons. I even made a script that transposes them and you can move octaves up/down, so you can use them similar to Circuit or Push, even with scale lock. I have abandoned this script as it doesn't fit to my setup as for manually playing melodies and drums I do have Korg nanokey studio, but I can provide the script as is.

So I rather use this grid of buttons on APC40 similar to how they work with Ableton Live: For triggering "clips" and scenes. I again made a Mozaic script and routing inside Drambo in a way that every track listens to its "column" of buttons and you can choose which MIDI messages will these buttons be transformed to (note, CC or PC + values range). This way you can e.g. control Rozeta Bassline / XOX / ... patterns, or Sugar bytes Egoist or Pure Acid or even Drambo patterns (I prefer to use Drambo as AU, also known as "Dramboception" as a drum sequencer). For piano roll kind, LK seems to be the best option so far and also works with this setup.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention you're not limited to just 5 patterns (which is one column of buttons) but you have 3 pages for 5 rows of buttons = 15 + 16th track is reserved for stop button (simply leaving 16th pattern empty). You switch patterns by up/down arrow buttons on APC40.

I also made use of instrument racks in Drambo where these settings (including encoder and button values for the track) are saved and whenever you load the instrument rack (or whole Drambo project), everything gets initialized on APC40 for that track. You can even load these instrument racks while playing live, so you can switch instrument racks and thus play endless "DJ-like" live sets, which was actually my initial motivation to create this whole setup.

I have added much more improvements like making tempo knob and tempo nudge buttons working as expected, or small details like syncing green LED on top of play button with playback state inside Drambo (so even if you hit play on touchscreen, APC40 "knows" it is playing). Also my own inovation is a live loop recorder which records selected tracks into audio and keeps it looped on side B of the crossfader. This way you can easily switch instrument racks while playing live without worrying that you're limited to 8 tracks. You just keep a loop playing on side B, switch instrument racks on tracks you wish (e.g. switching to a different beat and bass) and then do the transition to side A (which plays what you'd normally expect as master), just like when a DJ make a transition to another song. The great thing is that you can "pick" which parts you record and will be switched and which you keep. Then a sugar on top is a post-fader effect rack where you e.g. add a delay or reverb on the recorded loop, switch the crossfader to the new "song" and the nice "tail" of delay or reverb will be preserved, allowing for very smooth transitions.

Definitely this is better to see (and hear) than to explain. There's quite a lot of going on, so I definitely plan to make a tutorial video + publish the whole example project with everything already set up. The thing is I made most of the progress during holidays, now as I am back to work I have very little time for finishing it. Good news is there is fortunately not so much missing, actually it's nearly complete and already pretty usable. Still: polishing, testing and documenting will take some time.

To sum it up, not sure if this "sold" you APC40 or rather the opposite :lol: Sorry for lengthy post, as I started writing it, I realized I can use it as a base for documentation while I was in the flow so I made it quite exhaustive. But hopefully it gives you a picture on what is the state of MIDI controllers integration capabilities. I went to the edge of capabilities, let's see how it will survive battle-tests when it comes to stability and there are still too many limitations. I have to say it still can't be compared with some standalone hardware solution where hardware and software are made for each other like Circuit or AKAI MPC series.
    On the other hand, if you love iPad apps like me, it's too tempting to not give it a try ;)

• edited February 2021

Here are the Drambo setup (with included Instrument Racks for Aparillo, Continua, FRMS, Quanta, DrumComputer and FlexiSampler) and the LaunchPadX template (just use the Novation Component app to transfer it to the LPXMK3)

Drambo Template with Midi Mapped to LPX:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrjxvTXqUaMePPigY?e=heg3dG

LPX Template:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrj88NmRyQlxgyZnN?e=Ja6W6f

• @osKar said:
    @skrat @Artvarg thanks for your advices! I actually have the original Circuit and I'm quite fond of using it. I had never produced that many loops before - that's quite amazing. That's why I'm so keen on the new Circuit Tracks and whether it's possible to emulate such a fast workflow on the iPad - because more possibilities!

For me the DAWs on iOS are a bit to much. The fun gets lost pretty fast, when it comes to the technical stuff and the precision work. I mean the apps out there are highly professional these days, but also very complicated and time consuming. I often caught myself spending to much time on eqing and mixing in the writing phase, which hinders creativity. Therefore I welcome anything that's like a groovebox. However I'll buy Drambo next month for sure! I don't assume there'll be any sale on this soon ;-)

I feel you man. I’m in a similar situation. The good news is that the next batch of Drambo beta will be going in the right direction ie making Drambo’s sequencer more flexible. This should take it closer to that quick live workflow.
    I loved my circuit but it was definitely lacking in the sampling department as well as the sound.

• @iansainsbury said:
    I've got my eye on the oxi one as an ios sequencer. Very powerful, bluetooth midi, plus lots more connectivity for outboard gear. This running whatever you want in AUM might close to turning the ipad into a groovebox.

God, those pads are tiiiiiny! Unless the guy has XL hands.

• @echoopera said:
    Here are the Drambo setup (with included Instrument Racks for Aparillo, Continua, FRMS, Quanta, DrumComputer and FlexiSampler) and the LaunchPadX template (just use the Novation Component app to transfer it to the LPXMK3)

Drambo Template with Midi Mapped to LPX:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrjxvTXqUaMePPigY?e=heg3dG

LPX Template:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrj88NmRyQlxgyZnN?e=Ja6W6f

I’m eyeing up a used launchpad X but I so wish they’d added some knobs to it.

• @supadom said:

I just built a separate encoder box for my LPP
    Working on the translator now so the encoders save their values and assign correct values and light up correctly (rgb encoders) when the corresponding buttons are pushed on the launchpad.

@echoopera said:

All of this was just done in components? No sysex coding in programmers mode.
    Grabbed them, thank you for that share. Just can’t look until tomorrow.

• edited February 2021

Random somewhat related question:
    Does drambo have a high note resolution? Like can you accurately record fast shredding unquantized solos?

I love grooveboxes and groovebox workflow, but this limitation is by far the biggest deal breaker for me, and it's very hard to get a solid answer for some boxes. I adore gr-16, but it has very low note resolution, so I gotta solo live. Elektron boxes have the same problem, as does the 1010 blackbox from what I've looked into. Mc101 has the perfect note resolution! But it's 4 tracks and limited parameters (still love it though). Ielectribe wave and I assume the actual electribes don't quite cut it without doubling the bpm, although gadget can record with pin point accuracy (as can most daws).

I never dove deep into rambo, but if I can accomplish very accurate fast and complex midi recording, I might finally take the plunge.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@supadom said:

I just built a separate encoder box for my LPP
    Working on the translator now so the encoders save their values and assign correct values and light up correctly (rgb encoders) when the corresponding buttons are pushed on the launchpad.

@echoopera said:

All of this was just done in components? No sysex coding in programmers mode.

Yep. Components handles it for you. Just transfer the file to the LPX via the desktop app

Grabbed them, thank you for that share. Just can’t look until tomorrow.

Sure thing. Enjoy :)

• @osKar said:
    Thanks! that sounds pretty complicated though. Does Navichord work with Beatstep? That would be wonderful.

Rubbing alcohol, a microfiber towel, and some tedious scrubbing fixes the qunexus and quneo nastiness they get when the coating breaks down. I brought mine out of retirement after a long scrub.

• @Shiloh Really? I might try that out. Yesterday I read something about covering old rubber in Baby Powder. But the effect is only short-term. Thanks!

• @GeorgeL909 said:
    Random somewhat related question:
    Does drambo have a high note resolution?

Yes

Like can you accurately record fast shredding unquantized solos?

No. Recordings are quantized in the first place and notes can only be moved in fine resolutions afterwards.
    This is something that will likely only change when piano roll editing is added one day.

I love grooveboxes and groovebox workflow, but this limitation is by far the biggest deal breaker for me, and it's very hard to get a solid answer for some boxes. I adore gr-16, but it has very low note resolution, so I gotta solo live. Elektron boxes have the same problem, as does the 1010 blackbox from what I've looked into. Mc101 has the perfect note resolution! But it's 4 tracks and limited parameters (still love it though). Ielectribe wave and I assume the actual electribes don't quite cut it without doubling the bpm, although gadget can record with pin point accuracy (as can most daws).

Don't forget we're in the iOS world. The more specific your requirements, the lower your chance that you'll find an app that does it all and you'll rather need to find a solution using more than one app.

I never dove deep into rambo, but if I can accomplish very accurate fast and complex midi recording, I might finally take the plunge.

Drambo hosted inside a dedicated MIDI sequencer like Nanostudio 2 or Audio Evolution would be a better option I guess.

• @Shiloh said:

@osKar said:
    Thanks! that sounds pretty complicated though. Does Navichord work with Beatstep? That would be wonderful.

Rubbing alcohol, a microfiber towel, and some tedious scrubbing fixes the qunexus and quneo nastiness they get when the coating breaks down. I brought mine out of retirement after a long scrub.

This is worthy of a recall, such a design flaw. I had a very sticky qunexus once and it was impossible to ignore. I’m glad the white rubber isn’t affected.
    Still, such a mess in under 10 years of use is unacceptable.

• I totally get it. Even in the hardware world your advice applies.

That being said, ns2 coupled with an audio daw like cubasis or audio evolution is hands down the best audio workflow I've ever had. So iOS has more than impressed me to the point where every time a new groovebox or hardware synth comes out I ask, 'can I just do that in ns2 with obsidian and a few plugins'. The answer is often yes or mostly.

I just feel like all these grooveboxes and mini daws are so incredibly close to doing everything I need all on their own, just a tricky feature or two away (note resolution for one, built in audio tracks for another etc etc). One day soon I feel like there will be a single all in one package, and I have a feeling it's eventually gonna be drambo...

Drambo still seems phenomenal at the moment as a sound module. I just gotta know what exactly I wanna build in it, which is the tough part.

• edited February 2021

I looked at the Launchpad Pro and can anyone confirm that it sequences like the Circuit but without the Synth and Sample parts with Ableton style midi clips and so on? just like the LK Auv3 but in hardware form? that would be just awesome!