Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14 and audio units

Comments

• @god said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    I don't have this happen, so I haven't been able to test anything, but it feels to me like something is trashing or deleting the AU information cache. Something crashing, the system looking for space to recover because it's close to storage limits, a particular host or process that is causing the corruption, ...

Well, if that's the case, Apple should definitely be aware of this because this might be a security risk (app should not have the ability to crash AU cache irrecoverably). Personally I have plenty of storage on my device so space should not be a problem, though. I know there is a minority of other users in this forum who are experiencing this, maybe we should start a thread and compare our usage habits.. maybe it'll help us get to the bottom of it. BTW I'm also experiencing other issues with other common plugins, something that is not happening to other users. Like in Cubasis3 I actually can't use Moog Model D because it does not produce sound or produce weird sounds. Or Bleass Alpha and Zeeon crashes.

Model D is sensitive to Cubasis 3 audio settings on my iPad 8, I think the highest latency caused garbled mess, using multi-threading led to totally wonky timing...

• edited January 2021

Happens here on iPad, so no standard Home Screen widgets would apply. Don’t use an interface with iPad.

Could be completely irrelevant, but I keep thinking it might be a glitch with registry/apps. For years, when going to the updates section of the App Store, I have to pull down the screen three times before all the available apps to update get populated. Often, second or third time the available apps with updates icon’s show up with the status “open” then 15 or so second later, it will change to “update.” Makes me think the OS loses ability to connect with apps at times. Anyone else have this, or just standard App Store weirdness?

Only got a refund on one app and still had it on there, but wasn’t using it. Just deleted it to see if that does anything. Let’s see how 14.4 goes.

• @uncledave said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    I don't have this happen, so I haven't been able to test anything, but it feels to me like something is trashing or deleting the AU information cache. Something crashing, the system looking for space to recover because it's close to storage limits, a particular host or process that is causing the corruption, ...

Well, if that's the case, Apple should definitely be aware of this because this might be a security risk (app should not have the ability to crash AU cache irrecoverably). Personally I have plenty of storage on my device so space should not be a problem, though. I know there is a minority of other users in this forum who are experiencing this, maybe we should start a thread and compare our usage habits.. maybe it'll help us get to the bottom of it. BTW I'm also experiencing other issues with other common plugins, something that is not happening to other users. Like in Cubasis3 I actually can't use Moog Model D because it does not produce sound or produce weird sounds. Or Bleass Alpha and Zeeon crashes.

I wouldn't suspect a device storage limit would cause this. But shortage of processor memory definitely could. Most devices now have at least 2 GB, some have a couple more. Check gsmarena.com to see what your device has. Sometimes apps (even Apple ones) can leak memory and create a clog, which is easily resolved by a restart. Do you experience these problems immediately after restarting? Or do they build up over a few hours of usage?

No, these definitely seem to build up . After a restart it might be a few hours or even a whole day before the bug attacks again. My model has 3GB of RAM.. that should be enough, I think?

• @Model10000 said:
    Happens here on iPad, so no standard Home Screen widgets would apply. Don’t use an interface with iPad.

Could be completely irrelevant, but I keep thinking it might be a glitch with registry/apps. For years, when going to the updates section of the App Store, I have to pull down the screen three times before all the available apps to update get populated. Often, second or third time the available apps with updates icon’s show up with the status “open” then 15 or so second later, it will change to “update.” Makes me think the OS loses ability to connect with apps at times. Anyone else have this, or just standard App Store weirdness?

Only got a refund on one app and still had it on there, but wasn’t using it. Just deleted it to see if that does anything. Let’s see how 14.4 goes.

It could have something to do with an app cache somewhere. One thing that happens on macOS is that the system can get confused about where a sandboxed AUv3 is or even if it is installed. There are times that I have to open the container app to get the system to see the AUv3 when I'm installing a new test build. Another weird thing that can happen is that when I'm launching a debug session in a test host, I have to force the host to reload the available AU's a couple of times to see the AU I'm trying to debug.

One thing that might give some info is to see what happens with opening a container app for an AUv3 when the AU's disappear. So, before doing the reboot thing, try opening one of the AUv3 container apps and then try opening the host again. It could have a common path in the system that doing the thing of opening the list of IAA apps does.

• @MadGav said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Model D is sensitive to Cubasis 3 audio settings on my iPad 8, I think the highest latency caused garbled mess, using multi-threading led to totally wonky timing...

INDEED it is

• @god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I wouldn't suspect a device storage limit would cause this. But shortage of processor memory definitely could. Most devices now have at least 2 GB, some have a couple more. Check gsmarena.com to see what your device has. Sometimes apps (even Apple ones) can leak memory and create a clog, which is easily resolved by a restart. Do you experience these problems immediately after restarting? Or do they build up over a few hours of usage?

No, these definitely seem to build up . After a restart it might be a few hours or even a whole day before the bug attacks again. My model has 3GB of RAM.. that should be enough, I think?

3 GB should be enough, until it's not. Since installing iPadOS 14.2, I've experienced AppStore holding 30,000 pages (of 16 KB) after a search; that's 478 MB true. And sometimes it won't force-quit (status daemon), so the only cure is restarting. My solution is never to search AppStore. I use Appsliced or Google to find the exact AppStore page, and my jetsams have quiesced. So, if you have some bad apple like that, it could eat up memory and shut you down. Or you may have something else entirely.

Do you see any jetsam logs? Do you see a lot of jetsam logs? They might be telling you something.

And incidentally, I have read (here) that Model D cannot use the largest buffer size (2048), and I think Zeeon may have the same problem. Try a smaller buffer, lower latency, and see if that helps your synths.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    One thing that might give some info is to see what happens with opening a container app for an AUv3 when the AU's disappear. So, before doing the reboot thing, try opening one of the AUv3 container apps and then try opening the host again. It could have a common path in the system that doing the thing of opening the list of IAA apps does. >

Something I haven’t tried. If it happens on 14.4, will update after trying this. Thanks

• @uncledave said:

@god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

3 GB should be enough, until it's not. Since installing iPadOS 14.2, I've experienced AppStore holding 30,000 pages (of 16 KB) after a search; that's 478 MB true. And sometimes it won't force-quit (status daemon), so the only cure is restarting. My solution is never to search AppStore. I use Appsliced or Google to find the exact AppStore page, and my jetsams have quiesced. So, if you have some bad apple like that, it could eat up memory and shut you down. Or you may have something else entirely.

Do you see any jetsam logs? Do you see a lot of jetsam logs? They might be telling you something.

And incidentally, I have read (here) that Model D cannot use the largest buffer size (2048), and I think Zeeon may have the same problem. Try a smaller buffer, lower latency, and see if that helps your synths.

Your input is extremely useful. I should not be forced to not do App Store search but if that is indeed what’s causing the bug (indirectly) then I would stave off.

Just checked my reports and indeed I’ve a few dozens of Jetsams every day. I didn’t even know what these were until now! Is the amount of jetsams i got too high?

I can’t work with low latency because the output will crackle and stutter..

• I'm on iPadOS 14.4 and I got the error today, so it is not fixed:

• @White said:
    I'm on iPadOS 14.4 and I got the error today, so it is not fixed:

Apple should be ashamed of them selves...
    ...and WTF is the Core Audio Team doing nowadays ignoring these bugs for way too long.
    (WWDC'21 is just a few months away, do they plan to 'wait' until iOS15/iPadOS15 ships before they get their sh*t together?).

I'm not active on Twitter but bombarding AppleSupport and Tim Crook might get their attention...

• @Samu said:

@White said:

...and WTF is the Core Audio Team doing nowadays ignoring these bugs for way too long.
    (WWDC'21 is just a few months away, do they plan to 'wait' until iOS15/iPadOS15 ships before they get their sh*t together?).

I'm not active on Twitter but bombarding AppleSupport and Tim Crook might get their attention...

I don’t think these traditional methods of bug reporting even work anymore. We’ve been bombarding them since the major release. I think we need to physically get to the Apple campus and hand them hard-copied screenshots 😠

• @god said:

@Samu said:

@White said:

I don’t think these traditional methods of bug reporting even work anymore. We’ve been bombarding them since the major release. I think we need to physically get to the Apple campus and hand them hard-copied screenshots 😠

Given the current era and likely work from home - this may be “find out where they live” 😂

• @MadGav said:

Given the current era and likely work from home - this may be “find out where they live” 😂

If someone directly knows people in the CoreAudio or GarageBand teams they should be notified ASAP and bugged until the issues is solved...

They still have the 'bug' on all T2 based Mac's to FIX when using USB2 audio interfaces, I don't think it will ever get fixed.
    The solution for now is to get a 'real' USB3.0/USB-C interface, many with USB-C ports are USB2 devices and as such are affected by the 'bug' so the selection is quite limited...

It's a small audio drop-outs (few hundred samples causing a 'click') when the T2 chip synchronizes.
    This is a know issues but quite likely not very high on the priority list with new M1 Mac's taking all the focus.

It is what it is,

• @god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Your input is extremely useful. I should not be forced to not do App Store search but if that is indeed what’s causing the bug (indirectly) then I would stave off.

Just checked my reports and indeed I’ve a few dozens of Jetsams every day. I didn’t even know what these were until now! Is the amount of jetsams i got too high?

(geeky digression) Here's some info I've acquired while monitoring memory issues on my iPad: iOS memory management is an interesting hybrid, since it's a Unix-like system, but it has no swap. So apps, and system components, have to share physical RAM only. When a program requests memory and there's none available, the "jetsam" process is activated to find some. It creates a log file which (I think) lists all the processes, with the action taken. Sometimes it just prods the processes to release any extra (the logged "reason" is "compressor-space" or "vm-pageshortage"). But if it finds a process exceeding some internal limit (reason "highwater" or "per-process-limit"), it will kill the process. If the process is one of the many started automatically by launchd, it will automatically relaunch the process, but it will start without its accreted memory. This is a way of beating back processes that hold onto data "just in case", to enhance user response, or whatever. (/geeky)

Now, you said you see dozens of jetsams. That's a lot. It means your device is basically gasping for air. You can look at these logs right there in Settings. They're pretty long, and disordered, so not an easy read. But the first item after the header identifies the "largestProcess", which may be a clue as to who's eating your memory. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the size, so you don't know if it's just big, or really huge.

To go any farther, you need an app that can view and search a text file. I use the GoodReader app, which has excellent text file handling. Other file managers, like Documents, may work also. I've tried to find a way using iOS built-in apps, but cannot. Alternatively, you could copy the file to a computer and use its tools. If you're able to search a log, you can look for the name of the largestProcess, and see how many "rpages" it's using. A page is 16 KB, so 64 pages is a true megabyte (1024x1024). Also, look for the "highwater" and "per-process-limit" events, since they might be killing something important.

• @uncledave said:

@god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@uncledave said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

(geeky digression) Here's some info I've acquired while monitoring memory issues on my iPad: iOS memory management is an interesting hybrid, since it's a Unix-like system, but it has no swap. So apps, and system components, have to share physical RAM only. When a program requests memory and there's none available, the "jetsam" process is activated to find some. It creates a log file which (I think) lists all the processes, with the action taken. Sometimes it just prods the processes to release any extra (the logged "reason" is "compressor-space" or "vm-pageshortage"). But if it finds a process exceeding some internal limit (reason "highwater" or "per-process-limit"), it will kill the process. If the process is one of the many started automatically by launchd, it will automatically relaunch the process, but it will start without its accreted memory. This is a way of beating back processes that hold onto data "just in case", to enhance user response, or whatever. (/geeky)

Now, you said you see dozens of jetsams. That's a lot. It means your device is basically gasping for air. You can look at these logs right there in Settings. They're pretty long, and disordered, so not an easy read. But the first item after the header identifies the "largestProcess", which may be a clue as to who's eating your memory. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the size, so you don't know if it's just big, or really huge.

To go any farther, you need an app that can view and search a text file. I use the GoodReader app, which has excellent text file handling. Other file managers, like Documents, may work also. I've tried to find a way using iOS built-in apps, but cannot. Alternatively, you could copy the file to a computer and use its tools. If you're able to search a log, you can look for the name of the largestProcess, and see how many "rpages" it's using. A page is 16 KB, so 64 pages is a true megabyte (1024x1024). Also, look for the "highwater" and "per-process-limit" events, since they might be killing something important.

Thanks. I’m on the phone so won’t respond with a long and elaborate message. I have checked out the biggest process in some of these jetsams. They are usually games, like Pokémon go. Some of them is Cubasis 3. Some of them are Springboard.. or WebKit (Safari, I presume..). So basically a lot of possibilities...

• edited January 2021

After a few days, I confirm the bug got into my system.
    Come to think of it, I just installed Segments fx, could it be that? Installing a new app? Everything worked throughout the day. This evening I sat down, saw sEGmentsFX was released and installed. Opened Drambo, no audio units.

@god said:

@Frank303 said:

@god said:
    Did iOS 14.4 fix the disappearing AUv3 bug for anyone?

I only ever updated to iOS 14 just now, to 14.4. No issues so far, tried with AUM, Audiobus, Drambo, BM3. iPad mini 5th gen.

Heya, thanks!

Just so you know, this bug might now show itself immediately. It might take a few hours or even a whole day before it pops up, and then the only way to remedy it (temporarily) is a device restart.

I’ve updated my device about 12 hours ago and haven’t encountered the bug yet, but I will not know it’s solved before at least 2 or 3 days have passed.

UPDATE: not fixed 😢 😤

• @Frank303 said:
    After a few days, I confirm the bug got into my system.
    Come to think of it, I just installed Segments fx, could it be that? Installing a new app? Everything worked throughout the day. This evening I sat down, saw sEGmentsFX was released and installed. Opened Drambo, no audio units.

@god said:

@Frank303 said:

@god said:
    Did iOS 14.4 fix the disappearing AUv3 bug for anyone?

I only ever updated to iOS 14 just now, to 14.4. No issues so far, tried with AUM, Audiobus, Drambo, BM3. iPad mini 5th gen.

Heya, thanks!

Just so you know, this bug might now show itself immediately. It might take a few hours or even a whole day before it pops up, and then the only way to remedy it (temporarily) is a device restart.

I’ve updated my device about 12 hours ago and haven’t encountered the bug yet, but I will not know it’s solved before at least 2 or 3 days have passed.

UPDATE: not fixed 😢 😤

Yeah, that's my direction too. The thing is, it doesn't seem to happen if I install or update an app shortly after I make a device restart. It will just hit at random. But doing an install/update does seem to feel somewhat correlated. But there must be some other factor at play, for sure.

• edited January 2021

@uncledave hmmm nice findings, had a feeling this might have something to do with AppStore here. Seeing about 10 jetsam events each day. All so far are either “AppStore” or “ com.apple.webkit.webcontent.” The latter probably from tabs in web browsing or using third-party browsers. Range of “rpages” : lowest 52 Highest so far 4381.

"largestProcess" : "AppStore",
    "genCounter" : 0,
    "processes" : [
    {
    "uuid" : "6ac7af7a-b828-3dfa-89e1-3cfbe7843580",
    "states" : [
    "suspended"
    ],
    "lifetimeMax" : 1838,
    "age" : 281667570135,
    "purgeable" : 0,
    "fds" : 50,
    "coalition" : 578,
    "rpages" : 585,
    "priority" : 0,
    "physicalPages" : {
    "internal" : [

Wish I could batch export these and search with regex.

• @Model10000 said:
    @uncledave hmmm nice findings, had a feeling this might have something to do with AppStore here. Seeing about 10 jetsam events each day. All so far are either “AppStore” or “ com.apple.webkit.webcontent.” The latter probably from tabs in web browsing or using third-party browsers. Range of “rpages” : lowest 52 Highest so far 4381.

{
    "suspended"
    ],

I have lots of com.apple.webkit.webcontent , too. So this means that there is a chance that Safari might actually indirectly be responsible for the deaths of our AU caches?

• @god said:

@Model10000 said:

{
    "suspended"
    ],

I have lots of com.apple.webkit.webcontent , too. So this means that there is a chance that Safari might actually indirectly be responsible for the deaths of our AU caches?

Maybe Safari maybe not. WebKit is used all over the place in lots of apps. Every browser on iOS uses WebKit and anything that displays any kind of HTML will too. The App Store might use WebKit internally too.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@god said:

@Model10000 said:

{
    "suspended"
    ],

Maybe Safari maybe not. WebKit is used all over the place in lots of apps. Every browser on iOS uses WebKit and anything that displays any kind of HTML will too. The App Store might use WebKit internally too.

Exactly. Not sure about AppStore tho', unless you play the demo video maybe. I've seen webcontent items as large as 90,000 pages (huge). Normally, force-quitting browsers is enough to clean that up. It always helps to force-quit bulky apps, like browsers, before starting a music session.

• edited January 2021

Had the “Auv3 not installed” error on 14.4. Said Blackhole wasn’t installed, so I opened its container app outside of AUM. Came back and deleted it from the AUM node, then loaded it again. It came up, but the auv3 would only come up in full screen landscape mode with no ability to resize it. Also, there isn’t the mix knob as normal next to it in the AUM node. WTH?

• @Model10000 Have you tried restarting the device? That might shake out the cobwebs.

I believe the knob alongside the app in AUM is determined by the first parameter in the list of AU published parameters. It may change if the app dev changes the list, maybe not aware of this useful feature.

• I have played my "bug your internal contacts inside Apple" card recently to urge them to look into these AU issues with iOS14. You never know how many favors you get to ask them, but I figured the problems with iOS14 were serious enough to go straight to management (and all the 1-star reviews and refund requests are getting on my tits).

They are indeed looking into it now, but they asked me about crashlogs. Ugh... there are no crashes, so I have no crashlogs to share. Not even a way to reproduce the issues. So I hope they have the tenacity to sort it out and not wait for more reports or radars.

• @brambos said:
    I have played my "bug your internal contacts inside Apple" card recently to urge them to look into these AU issues with iOS14. You never know how many favors you get to ask them, but I figured the problems with iOS14 were serious enough to go straight to management (and all the 1-star reviews and refund requests are getting on my tits).

They are indeed looking into it now, but they asked me about crashlogs. Ugh... there are no crashes, so I have no crashlogs to share. Not even a way to reproduce the issues. So I hope they have the tenacity to sort it out and not wait for more reports or radars.

On theory that might trigger the missing AUv3 bug is to push memory usage limits to the max and force iPadOS to flush the ram caches. I've had the 'disappearing' AUv3's maybe 2-3 times since iPadOS14 was initially released and the missing AUv3 icons a handful of times.

I really have no clue which AUv3's tax the memory usage the most but a few fully loaded BeatHawk instances might be able to do it or something (I've been trying to provoke the bug so I can have peace of mind knowing what triggers it).

The 'corrupt ram cache' theory is based on the fact that rebooting the device rebuilds the cache files.

Hopefully this will get sorted out by Apple at some point before iPadOS15 arrives...

• @Model10000 said:
    Had the “Auv3 not installed” error on 14.4. Said Blackhole wasn’t installed, so I opened its container app outside of AUM. Came back and deleted it from the AUM node, then loaded it again. It came up, but the auv3 would only come up in full screen landscape mode with no ability to resize it. Also, there isn’t the mix knob as normal next to it in the AUM node. WTH?

Interesting. Were you seeing all the AU's missing or only Blackhole? One thing to note is that the MIDI version of the AU won't have the mix knob shown. The MIDI takes over that position. The non-MIDI version should show the mix control in AUM.

• @brambos said:
    I have played my "bug your internal contacts inside Apple" card recently to urge them to look into these AU issues with iOS14. You never know how many favors you get to ask them, but I figured the problems with iOS14 were serious enough to go straight to management (and all the 1-star reviews and refund requests are getting on my tits).

Thank you for using your status to push this forward, Bram. We regular folk apparently not worthy of Apple’s attention 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @uncledave a restart, so far, always fixes it. I'm trying to incorporate the ipad in a Live set and having the need to restart makes it a no go.

@brambos Thanks for that. I wish you could send other people's crash logs in!

@neonsilicon All of the Au's were missing. On a fresh AUM Session, on any of my idevices, putting Blackhole in the effects slot brings up the mix knob instantly like in this pic. Although, when I get the AU missing error, then delete/swipe closed the Blackhole icon from the AUM node, then open it's container outside of AUM, then reload it in the same effect slot in AUM I get the hamburger icon and not the mix knob. Weird.

Next time this happens, I'll try opening containers other than Blackhole and see what the behavior is.

• @brambos said:

I suppose someone with it happening regularly should send them some logs or send them to you to send to them. I haven’t had it return a single time since 14.1 or maybe the one after that. I think you do volume up, down, and power to trigger the logs, but I tried on my phone and it is obvious because you get a haptic buzz. The iPad has no haptics, so I’ll check my setting in 10-20 min or so to see if the logs are there. Not that my logs would be helpful, but I’m sure someone can generate them somehow.

• So if i haven’t updated, you’re saying shouldn’t?