Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

O.T.: An extraordinarily dark day in American history...

Comments

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Is multi-culturalism even a thing any more? Seems to me everything is cultural appropriation....

What does what you said even mean?

Yes, multi-culturalism is still a thing. Some people are comfortable living in a community with people that share different beliefs and cultural backgrounds and don't feel that their identity is threatened by such. Some people don't feel that white European culture needs to be the dominant one in the U.S -- and don't feel that society is made weaker when culture changes in response to those influences.

Cultural appropriation is another issue entirely.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @espiegel123 said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Is multi-culturalism even a thing any more? Seems to me everything is cultural appropriation....

Yes, multi-culturalism is still a thing. Some people are comfortable living in a community with people that share different beliefs and cultural backgrounds and don't feel that their identity is threatened by such. Some people don't feel that white European culture needs to be the dominant one in the U.S -- and don't feel that society is made weaker when culture changes in response to those influences.

What I mean is how can culture change for the better if some influences are off limits and attempts to adopt/adapt them are attacked as being cultural appropriation?

• edited January 2021
  • edited January 2021
  • @BiancaNeve said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

What I mean is how can culture change for the better if some influences are off limits and attempts to adopt/adapt them are attacked as being cultural appropriation?

Huh?

You are confusing multiculturalism and the issues of cultural appropriation.

In many parts of the country, people of different cultures live together and the people living there don’t feel threatened by it and don’t feel like their culture is the “correct” or true culture. In those parts of the country, people don’t feel that the country is made worse when the amount of Western European influence declines. They don’t view white Americans or farmers or Christians as somehow more American than people that aren’t those things.

——-

The issue of cultural appropriation isn’t about being influenced by other cultures, it has to do with taking ideas and work of disempowered peoples and claiming them as your own and profiting from them (when the people the ideas were taken from have not profited at all) and taking credit for them.

• edited January 2021
  • @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said: The issue of cultural appropriation isn’t about being influenced by other cultures, it has to do with taking ideas and work of disempowered peoples and claiming them as your own and profiting from them (when the people the ideas were taken from have not profited at all) and taking credit for them.

this is mega lame
    every word you say isn't your own creation.
    uh I'm exploiting things by opening my mouth :D
    absurd

uh im exploiting Bach every time I play c minor. :D

uh someone painted a picture before I did, now I need to credit every painter in the history of mankind. :D

uh elvis isnt suppossed to sing the blues. :D :s

get real.
    cultural appropriation is a cultural ghetto. yuck

culture belongs to everybody :)

I am sorry Max. You are way off-base with both what is meant by cultural appropriation and the history behind the issue. As I wrote earlier .. and have mentioned in other conversations with you... it is not about influence.

I think it is easy for white Europeans to have no idea of the social and economic impact that intellectual theft (not influence) has had on artists who had no access to the marketplace but whose work was generated huge profits for decades for people that simply repackaged that work and presented it as their own with access to a marketplace to which the creators were denied.

There is a difference between influence and theft.

In addition to the economic impact, there is a social impact. One hears white supremacists talk about the superiority of European culture to other cultures completely unaware how the music they listen to is largely the fruit of non-European and non-white influences.

• edited January 2021
  • @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said: The issue of cultural appropriation isn’t about being influenced by other cultures, it has to do with taking ideas and work of disempowered peoples and claiming them as your own and profiting from them (when the people the ideas were taken from have not profited at all) and taking credit for them.

this is mega lame
    absurd

uh someone painted a picture before I did, now I need to credit every painter in the history of mankind. :D

get real.

I am sorry Max. You are way off-base with both what is meant by cultural appropriation and the history behind the issue. As I wrote earlier .. and have mentioned in other conversations with you... it is not about influence.

I think it is easy for white Europeans to have no idea of the social and economic impact that intellectual theft (not influence) has had on artists who had no access to the marketplace but whose work was generated huge profits for decades for people that simply repackaged that work and presented it as their own with access to a marketplace to which the creators were denied.

In addition to the economic impact, there is a social impact. One hears white supremacists talk about the superiority of European culture to other cultures completely unaware how the music they listen to is largely the fruit of non-European and non-white influences.

lol, nope
    they all play the same scale
    hello bach
    where is that popular music that isnt temperate 12 tone? ;)

Sorry Max, there is more to music than the tuning system.

• edited January 2021
  • @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

this is mega lame
    absurd

get real.

lol, nope
    hello bach

Sorry Max, there is more to music than the tuning system.

what do you mean? rhythm?
    that isnt much music its just a beat

If you really feel that rhythm and structure and harmony aren’t equal partners, you are missing out on a lot..also if you don’t recognize the richness of various styles and eras of composition and orchestration., I don’t know what to say.

It is hard for me to believe that you really believe all music is the same and that creators shouldn’t be entitled to profit fairly from their creations or be given credit.

If you think jazz sounds the same as baroque music, that’s your loss.

• @Max23 said:
    "that creators shouldn’t be entitled to profit fairly from their creations or be given credit."

so people dont buy your stuff. bad luck. go cut your ear off. ;)

Not what I said or relevant to what I said. It is hard for me to see how your response is germane to anything that I said.

You are the person that argued that the distinguishing characteristic of music is the intonation system and dismissed rhythm as being important.

• Max just ejaculates words and when it is pointed out that they make no sense, his response is always the same: LOL.

• edited January 2021
  • Aren’t we going off-topic here?

• @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:
    "that creators shouldn’t be entitled to profit fairly from their creations or be given credit."

Not what I said or relevant to what I said. It is hard for me to see how your response is germane to anything that I said.

You are the person that argued that the distinguishing characteristic of music is the intonation system and dismissed rhythm as being important.

"... that creators shouldn’t be entitled to profit fairly from their creations or be given credit."

no, thats exactly what you are on about "profit" & "public recognition".

Not at all. Honestly, it doesn't seem like you are even making an attempt to understand the point I am making. It is hard for me to see how anything I said relates to me or some other individual having made money or not.

If that is how you interpreted my comments, that was not my point.

You seem uninterested in the fact that generations of artists were denied an ability to be compensated fairly for their work or even given credit for it -- you also seem to be totally dismissive that their work had a fundamental impact on modern music.

Now, of course, you didn't use those words because your responses have all been semi non-sequiturs

Such as:

lol, nope
    hello bach

dont try to drag European culture into your shit. ;)

And what is the defensiveness about European culture? I am simply pointing out that you as a person from the dominant culture are not in a place to be so dismissive of the legitimacy of arguments put forth by the people's that have made the case that their cultures have suffered as a result of generations of uncompensated and uncredited use of their work. You have seemed in this discussion and others totally dismissive (and uneducated) about the possibility that people of non-European cultures (African Americans, indigenous peoples, whatever) have been denied the compensation and credit which is their due.

• @michael_m said:
    Aren’t we going off-topic here?

Not really. In the end this is all about a group of very special people marching to the beat of their own drum. Sometimes you just gotta go zen and let the Orwellian rhythm of boots stomping on human faces wash over you. I mean what is the sound of one drum beating anyway? Not much!

• @Max23 said:

@michael_m said:
    Aren’t we going off-topic here?

its not really off-topic.
    its about the twisted view Americans have on the world ...

Why don’t you go back to the hole you came from??? Jesus don’t you have anything better to do then badger America???

• @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

"... that creators shouldn’t be entitled to profit fairly from their creations or be given credit."

no, thats exactly what you are on about "profit" & "public recognition".

Not at all. Honestly, it doesn't seem like you are even making an attempt to understand the point I am making. It is hard for me to see how anything I said relates to me or some other individual having made money or not.

If that is how you interpreted my comments, that was not my point.

You seem uninterested in the fact that generations of artists were denied an ability to be compensated fairly for their work or even given credit for it -- you also seem to be totally dismissive that their work had a fundamental impact on modern music.

Now, of course, you didn't use those words because your responses have all been semi non-sequiturs

Such as:

lol, nope
    hello bach

And what is the defensiveness about European culture? I am simply pointing out that you as a person from the dominant culture are not in a place to be so dismissive of the legitimacy of arguments put forth by the people's that have made the case that their cultures have suffered as a result of generations of uncompensated and uncredited use of their work. You have seemed in this discussion and others totally dismissive (and uneducated) about the possibility that people of non-European cultures (African Americans, indigenous peoples, whatever) have been denied the compensation and credit which is their due.

honey, im gay. so I cant be the dominant culture. :D
    btw, racism works very differently in the USA and Europe.
    Who had African slaves in Europe??? ;)

You keep side-stepping and confounding the issue raised. You don’t seem interested in exploring the question.

• edited January 2021

@Max23 said:

A brief goog seems to indicate there were tons of European owners but sounds like they kept most of that dirty business across the pond...?

• @Max23 said:

lol, nope
    hello bach

Maybe I can offer a reverse example to make a point. When Wynton Marsalis plays or records Bach, he does so with reference to the culture that produced Bach's music, i.e. the western twelve tone system developed over several centuries. When Eric Clapton pulls out his acoustic guitar and does a solo performance of a Robert Johnson or Bill Broonzy composition, he does so with praise for those performers and the culture that they were heir to, both its artistic positives and social constraints.

Another example in American culture shows the cultural appropriation model more clearly. In the early days of rock n' roll, black songwriters and performers often languished (or stagnated) in obscurity while white performers of their material (i.e. Elvis Presley) topped the charts. Racism and discrimination played a huge part in that situation. However, the black artists in those days dressed as white western culture did at the time. Shirts and ties, dresses, etc.

With the cultural awakening of the 60s, black artists and intellectuals began to explore the roots of their African heritage in dress, food, music, and artistic style. They did so in recognition of the fact that their adoption of western dress had been culturally imposed as a condition of their enslavement (and later segregation). A white person adopting African derived hairstyles or dress isn't getting in touch with their ancestral culture. Indeed to do that, a white person would just revert to dressing in an earlier western fashion from a previous century. (Doublets and stockings, anyone?)

Given the long sad history of slavery, segregation, discrimination, abuse, and murder, yes, murder inflicted on people of African descent, it should not be surprising that any attempts by white artists or social climbers looking to be "cool" by adopting now perceived "cool" black fashionable dress or artistic moves would be seen by the black community as offensive, and not a tribute to black "coolness".

Disclaimer: I'm not a person of colour so this view may be lacking. Maybe contributors to this thread who have experienced this directly can provide a more focused view (and/or correct my errors, omissions, etc.)

• edited January 2021
  • edited January 2021

@Max23 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Max23 said:

A brief goog seems to indicate there were tons of European owners but sounds like they kept most of that dirty business across the pond...?

not exactly, they kidtnapped ppl in Africa and sold them to america but didnt have slaves themselves.

Semantic dance. I suppose by ‘have’ and ‘had’ you mean serving tea and biscuits on Downing street?

My goog seemed to indicate the existence of tons of official legal european documents that said they were owned by Europeans. to ‘sell’ someone you claim to ‘own’ them, so you ‘have’ them. I ‘have’ funds in an offshore bank etc. Yeehaw, Semantic Dance!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/abolition/africa_article_01.shtml#four

This discussion has been closed.