Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poll: Funding of apps moving to AUv3?

Following on from the discussion started by @michael_m , I thought it might be nice to see if people would fund the developers to carry out the necessary work...

Updating existing apps to AUv3
  1. What would you be happy to do?75 votes
    1. Pay the full price for a new AUv3 version of the App
      49.33%
    2. Pay a reduced upgrade price for a new AUv3 version of the App
      42.67%
    3. Make an optional donation to the Developer
        2.67%
    4. Wouldn't want to pay any additional money at all
        5.33%

Comments

• Personally happy to pay the full price. IOS apps are cheap. Developers need supporting. We should be thankful for what they do and how much pleasure it brings us!

• I would pay full price for a new AU app. That said, I’m quite full in terms of GAS so I’m limiting my purchases a lot.
    I’m looking a lot at design and functionality.
    If it’s a synth, I will only purchase if it has proper MPE support and external midi controllers are taken into account.
    FX: I’m well served.
    Sequencers: don’t mind MPE but it has to offer something new.

I’m looking forward Atom 2. Waiting patiently. The dev has mentioned something about a bundle for previous owners of version 1 but it is something I could pay full price for.

• Thanks to those that voted. I have analysed the results and applied a number of advanced statistical techniques and the conclusion is that some of us would be happy to pay some money to some of the developers to carry out some work to convert some of their apps to AUv3. And there you have it!

• I've been thinking a lot about this lately, for months actually. I wonder if developers could just add an IAP that doesn’t really do anything, except allow the app to be updated. Meaning, you’re running version 1.0 of app. Developer releases updates like normal, then towards the end of the year or the next year or whenever they are close to having a major update, they have an IAP. If you purchase the IAP then the next time they have a major release with a big update, you’ll be eligible. And they basically just use that option for when they have done some extensive new features, etc. That way you wouldn’t have to get a completely new version of said app whoever they do a huge update. I feel like if they could do that then it would incentivize developers to keep making new features.

• I’d be willing to rebuy Bebot if it was made AUv3.

Honestly same for Universal. There are several apps that I’d be willing to buy a second time (or at least a first) if made Universal.

Let’s make AUv3 and Universal the standard in 2021!

• Depends on the app obviously but I'd happily pay an upgrade fee for many apps. Imagine having to buy Gadget at full price for auv3. Not a chance.

• edited January 2021

I guess developers should be obviously motivated by the needs of the market to make their apps AUv3 ready. Adding this feature equals a significant increase in sales.
    Some people (like me) would never buy a synth or other sound generating app without AUv3 support because it makes it useless in their workflow.

• I voted “pay full price...”, but it would depend on the app in question. Would definitely pay full price again for iWavestation if it went AUv3. As well as the other Korg synths. Would pay MORE than full price for Waldorf Nave.

• Would definitely pay full price for the apps I use often to see them as AUv3.

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@Brad said:
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately, for months actually. I wonder if developers could just add an IAP that doesn’t really do anything, except allow the app to be updated. Meaning, you’re running version 1.0 of app. Developer releases updates like normal, then towards the end of the year or the next year or whenever they are close to having a major update, they have an IAP. If you purchase the IAP then the next time they have a major release with a big update, you’ll be eligible. And they basically just use that option for when they have done some extensive new features, etc. That way you wouldn’t have to get a completely new version of said app whoever they do a huge update. I feel like if they could do that then it would incentivize developers to keep making new features.

Good idea, but the App Store doesn't make it possible to do that.

Coding-wise too, it's not possible to have a general upgrade that works for some people and not for others. Yes, specific features can be isolated, but general improvements just can't be pulled out of the code. It's kind of like serving two versions of a soup out of the same pot. You can choose whether or not to garnish it with a bit of cream on the top of the bowl for some people, but you can't separate out the extra garlic and salt for some people once it's been added to the pot.

• @Ailerom said:
    Depends on the app obviously but I'd happily pay an upgrade fee for many apps. Imagine having to buy Gadget at full price for auv3. Not a chance.

What if they made each Gadget available separately with their own little sequencers built in?😛

• @Apex said:
    I voted “pay full price...”, but it would depend on the app in question. Would definitely pay full price again for iWavestation if it went AUv3. As well as the other Korg synths. Would pay MORE than full price for Waldorf Nave.

Same here. There's a lot of new stuff which cover some of iOS classic apps. For example I barely use SeekBeats and Pattering after I got my hands on Drambo and Drumcomputer. So not sure here. But I'll pay full price (and maybe more) for some unique or irreplaceable apps like Sample, Sector, Yellofier, Nave or Fieldscaper.

• @robosardine said:

@Ailerom said:
    Depends on the app obviously but I'd happily pay an upgrade fee for many apps. Imagine having to buy Gadget at full price for auv3. Not a chance.

What if they made each Gadget available separately with their own little sequencers built in?😛

I would be all over Madrid, and to hell with the rest of them.