Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cranborne Audio 500R8 with iPad?

Has anyone successfully used the Cranborne R8 interface/mixer/lunchbox with an iOS device. I’m in need of compact solution and this checks a lot of boxes. Website doesn’t explicitly state it will work with iOS, but it is class compliant.

Cheers

Comments

• If it’s class compliant it should work. And thanks for posting that, I didn’t realize that had so much connectivity on the back- amazing.

• @mrufino1 said:
    If it’s class compliant it should work. And thanks for posting that, I didn’t realize that had so much connectivity on the back- amazing.

Yeah the connectivity is comprehensive. Signal routing is good too. There’s even switches to bypass the 500 slots and use it purely as a mixer.

I kind of figured it’ll work. I’ve plugged in crazy old audio interfaces into my ipad and got them to show up. It’s kind of a longshot, but I’m hoping somebody has tried it out before I committ to buying one. All my internet searching has yeilded nothing. I’m going to shoot Cranborne an email and see what they say. I might have to end up being the test-pilot for this one.

• @Apex said:

@mrufino1 said:
    If it’s class compliant it should work. And thanks for posting that, I didn’t realize that had so much connectivity on the back- amazing.

Yeah the connectivity is comprehensive. Signal routing is good too. There’s even switches to bypass the 500 slots and use it purely as a mixer.

I kind of figured it’ll work. I’ve plugged in crazy old audio interfaces into my ipad and got them to show up. It’s kind of a longshot, but I’m hoping somebody has tried it out before I committ to buying one. All my internet searching has yeilded nothing. I’m going to shoot Cranborne an email and see what they say. I might have to end up being the test-pilot for this one.

Here is the thing. If it is a class-compliant interface that means that it will work as an interface -- there is a slight catch in that not all class-compliant interfaces make all the features of the interface available via the class-compliant drivers. Feature-rich interfaces sometimes have features that require configuring on a desktop device or require a non-compliant driver to access.

• If I understood a review of the 500R8 correctly it has 3 operation modes and if switched to USB then features of the other 2 aren‘t available to the host anyway.
    Imho it‘s a very (!) expensive solution for a very limited kind of application.

• @Telefunky said:
    If I understood a review of the 500R8 correctly it has 3 operation modes and if switched to USB then features of the other 2 aren‘t available to the host anyway.

It gives you quite a bit of option for the io in your interface though. Not in my price range right now, or maybe ever, but I have read fantastic things about Cranborne’s products. I just got an 11 space 500 rack from reverb for $100, it was made by an electronics place in Chicago, because my API rack developed power supply issues. I don’t really have any fancy modules, but the preamps I do have work really well.
    500 series can be cool, although with my recent rack switch I now have a better understanding of the power issues inherent to the format, or better stated, the lack of standardization for power consumption in the format. But still, it’s a good way to be able to build a nice preamp collection a step at a time.

@apex I think my friend has the ID14, I can see if he can try it with his iPad or bring it by for me to try. I do know he is very happy with the sound quality.

Also, the SSL 2 and 2+ are both excellent. I’ve recommended them to a few people and they are all REALLY happy with the sound quality.

• @Telefunky said:
    If I understood a review of the 500R8 correctly it has 3 operation modes and if switched to USB then features of the other 2 aren‘t available to the host anyway.

The whole point is that it can function as a standalone mixer/lunchbox on top of being an interface. The switches are simply routing choices (like on an actual console). It obviously has a set of very specific features that most iOS people are not going to need. But I also have hardware synths, samplers, etc. Price wise I think its fair for the quality and what you’re getting (8 space lunchbox, mixer, monitoring/speaker management, 10 ch interface, MIDI, etc).

@espiegel123 the “features” of the interface are really just the ability to route stuff around in the hardware. There’s nothing going on there except sending and receiving signal as far as the digital side of things goes. As long as all the I/O shows up it should be good.

I’m debating either the Cranborne 500R8 or a SSL Six + an interface (which I already have a few). I’m currently without any sort of a “console” and its killing me. I’m just too used to working with a hardware mixer.

• Hi @Apex did you have any good news from the Cranborne Audio team?