Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What Powered USB-C Hub are you using?

Title says it all. Got the new iPad Air. Waited the week to get the official Apple "USB-C to female-USB" adapter. Plugged into my current hub but the ipad isn't charging, nor is it recognizing my audio-interface....

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ ︵ ┻━━┻

So I need a new powered hub...

There are a babillion out there. Would trust a recommendation from someone on this forum. I don't care about a 3.5" connection, I just want to reliably connect my USB audio interface to my iPad and have things work because right now I am super frustrated and want to cry. <(。_。)>

Comments

• I have 3, RSH 7 port USB 3.0 hubs. You can get them on Amazon for around £25 each. I bought one, then another one after a few months and the third one arrived today. I'm using 2 with my iPad Pro and 1 with my pc.

• edited January 2021

Lest I be scolded for not doing my homework from other threads on this board, here's a short list I have so far... Have you used any of these to charge your iPad while also connected to a USB audio-interface?

Please let me know your experiences...

• edited January 2021

I've had good success with Anker brand. great customer service.

Appologies, I misread the OP. I was thinking USB for desktop...

• @ashh said:
    I have 3, RSH 7 port USB 3.0 hubs. You can get them on Amazon for around £25 each. I bought one, then another one after a few months and the third one arrived today. I'm using 2 with my iPad Pro and 1 with my pc.

RSH? Is that a brand? I searched [US] Amazon and didn't come up with anything.

• @gkillmaster said:

I have lots of Anker kit, but do you use the model I listed?

In the fine-print of the Anker there are some confusing caveats about iPads, but I'm not sure if they just mean w/the USB-A ports on the adapter ("Only iPad Pros with iPad OS are compatible (Charging not supported)" + "Due to the power input limitations of mobile devices, this hub is not suitable for pass-through charging tablets(including iPad Pro) or phones.")

• (Sorry this thread is posted under "General App Discussion" - I guess I'm not allowed to delete my own thread or move it within the forum topics. Doh!)

• edited January 2021

@boberto said:

@gkillmaster said:

I have lots of Anker kit, but do you use the model I listed?

In the fine-print of the Anker there are some confusing caveats about iPads, but I'm not sure if they just mean w/the USB-A ports on the adapter ("Only iPad Pros with iPad OS are compatible (Charging not supported)" + "Due to the power input limitations of mobile devices, this hub is not suitable for pass-through charging tablets(including iPad Pro) or phones.")

I revised my post. So sorry, I misread the question... I'm still searching for one of these myself :)

• edited January 2021

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DW646GY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_qgD-FbKZX1BMY

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWP3F3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_LhD-Fb2VASXW4

Apanage 11 port and also the HyperDrive 6 in 1 kind of a double-hub deal but it works nice. This is for my Air 4. My interface is a Motu M2.

• I had Lention with presumed power delivery but it wasn’t charging the iPad for some reason. Sent it back. I’m using this one at the moment and it works great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0872V922X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @boberto To charge though USB-C, you need a hub or device with "USB Power Delivery". It will include a special USB-C port dedicated to power only. Actually, since you already have a hub, I'm surprised you didn't get the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter which includes the power capability, just like the older Lightning USB-3 Camera Adapter. It would probably let you run your gear with nothing else added.

• I have the HooToo one you linked. It's works great and has power delivery.

I also highly recommend these, probably not necessary, but slick and gives me some peace of mind. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TT6NGBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_N6D-FbGPGGV8K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• I'm running a Nucleum. I had issues with it until I also bought an official iOS power supply for my iPad pro (2018). With a non-official power supply my iPad would disconnect from the dock randomly. I bought a 30w one for fast charging but my guess is a 20w usb-c one would work.

I have an iPad air 2020 now and this works. I am using an iConnectivity Audio4+ as my interface fwiw.

• @NoiseHorse Do you have issues with the 1/8" audio port on the HyperDrive "interrupting" your MOTU? Or is it not an issue?

• edited January 2021

Following up about the HooToo, I did need to buy a higher wattage charger, 20w didn't cut it, wouldn't charge.

• @kawsy said:
    Following up about the HooToo, I did need to buy a higher wattage charger, 20w didn't cut it, wouldn't charge.

Right. Some of these gizmos siphon off a fair amount of power for themselves. So you need to add that to what the iPad needs when selecting a charger.

• https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerexpand-direct-6in1-usbc-pd-media-hub/A83620A1

Just got this a month ago. Seems good so far. Only thing I don't like is that it makes a very loud noise through your headphones when you plug them in.

• edited January 2021

Hello Crew!
    I don't know how it goes on iPad Air. My experience with Pro 11 inches is as follows:
    I got Nucleum - works Okay.
    Found on sale (this is called gold — no wonder that was on sale) this:
    https://www.innergiesg.com/products/magicable-usb-c-to-hdmi-multiport-adapter
    No searching at forums. Just bought it - works perfectly and it's small. Nucleum was not enough for my gear. I'm using a Unitec 7-port powered hub. As the power delivery, I use a product called Epico Charger 41W. No troubles at all.
    Greeting.
    P.S. With 20 inches extension USB-C cable everything looks better.

• @sharkytowers said:
    @NoiseHorse Do you have issues with the 1/8" audio port on the HyperDrive "interrupting" your MOTU? Or is it not an issue?

No issues, I can listen either way. I prefer the Motu 1/4” headphone jack naturally, I’ve got some ATH M50 headphones that I monitor stuff with through the M2.

• edited January 2021

I just got a new desktop style USB C hub for my iPad and it is a bit pricier than some others but absolutely perfect!!

5 USB A ports
    2 USB C ports
    Power Delivery in one of the A ports - can’t charge host iPad though
    Apple USB C to 3.5mm dongle provides audio out - confirmed
    Powered, so it’s easy to run multiple bus powered devices
    Power switch so you can leave all devices plugged in
    Much smaller than it looks - about 20% of an iConnectAudio4

This to me is the perfect device for my studio room. I do still also have a non-powered usb c hub for portability.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C69V6WZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• edited January 2021

@NoiseHorse Do you plug the APANAGE Powered USB 3.0 Hub, 11 Ports USB Hub Splitter into the hyperdrive?

I currently have a Nucleum which I like, but it only provides me with 2 usb (not C) ports and I need more! Ideally I end up with 4 or more usb ports for all my controllers and audio/midi interface (Zoom U-24). Suggestions welcome.

@marmakin That look promising but the reviews have me nervous

Ooooo this one looks like it might a nice alternative to the Nucleum and provide 4 usb ports
    https://www.amazon.com/Updated-POWLAKEN-Adapter-Ethernet-MacBook/dp/B07PPZPHV8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• @stown said:
    @NoiseHorse Do you plug the APANAGE Powered USB 3.0 Hub, 11 Ports USB Hub Splitter into the hyperdrive?

So ya, the Apanage has a usb A cord coming out of it that I stick into the hyperdrive to connect everything to the iPad. The Motu goes to the Apanage, and a midi keyboard.

• @stown said:

@marmakin That look promising but the reviews have me nervous

Well these devices are mostly all hit or miss depending on the application they’re used for etc. But it’s working perfectly for me in a setup probably a lot like yours and many others here 😉

• I have the HooToo one that you posted. I got it for this surface tablet I have and don’t use for music. I’ve been using it on my new Mac Mini lately. It does support Power Delivery so that is good because you can charge the iPad at the same time. I have definitely used the PD with my Surface.

You might be better off getting on of those Hyperdrive hubs or one of the other bands that snap it inline with the side of the iPad so you don’t have dongle hanging out all over the place.

• So wait, sorry to be naive here but with my "old" powered hubs they all always came with their own power adapters. [Almost] None of these have their own power adapters? I have to separately purchase a USB-C Power Plug that is rated more than the 20W one the iPad came with? (Sorry if this is obvious to you, in my mind it's the difference between a "powered" and "non-powered" hub.) So that means I need 3 purchases - a hub, a power supply, and a USB-C_to_C cable to go to a PD-power-pass-thru-port... (◕⌓◕;)

@NoiseHorse said:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DW646GY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_qgD-FbKZX1BMY
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWP3F3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_LhD-Fb2VASXW4
    Apanage 11 port and also the HyperDrive 6 in 1 kind of a double-hub deal but it works nice. This is for my Air 4. My interface is a Motu M2.

1. I'm confused, what does the 11-port hub have to do with anything? Wouldn't I just get the HyperDrive and plug my audio interface into the USB port on that? Or does the 11-port thingy somehow also provide power to the HyperDrive? Basically, what is providing the power for charging the iPad?
    2. $70? Ahjeez. I guess you get what you pay for but only 1 usb port is kinda weak at that pricepoint.
    3. Per what @sharkytowers asked - iOS only likes to handle one "external" audio input/output at a time so sometimes with an adapter with a 3.5" jack, the iPad will start forgetting about one connected via USB and flip flop between the outputs. Do you ever have audio interrupt/hardware issues and have to reconnect things because the HyperDrive has it's own headphone jack?

@supadom said:
    I had Lention with presumed power delivery but it wasn’t charging the iPad for some reason. Sent it back. I’m using this one at the moment and it works great.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0872V922X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the Lention warning. I'll cross those off the list above. Sadly, the one you linked isn't available on US Amazon (well, or UK amz for that matter). Clearly Vemont just does rebranding so I guess I can only keep an eye out for one with a matching spec+photo.

@uncledave said:
    I'm surprised you didn't get the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Honestly - I literally did not know that existed (Apple stores are all closed) and now it would be $70 in the hole. Might as well upgrade I guess. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

So you connect a USB-C_to_USB-C cable from your iPad into one of that hub's USB-C ports? Because I would think you need to plug it into the master/host port (the one with the funky stacked connector) on the other side. So does that charge the iPad while you use it? Or do you have more adapters in between your iPad and the hub?

How do you power your Nucleum? Let us know if the Powlaken one works out for you. Certainly seems well reviewed as far as iPad use goes. As for suggestions - USB is made to be daisy chained, just add another hub to your hub.

@mojozart said:
    Nucleum

What are you using for a power adapter?

@DMan said:
    I have the HooToo one

So what you're saying is that you haven't actually used the HooToo hub with the iPad as a host, only with the iPad attached as a device for your mac? And you bought a separate power supply just for it? (Personally I actually prefer to not have something form fit like the Hyperdrive because that little dongle is a lot easier to plug into anything else with a USB-C port + you don't have to worry about your dealing with your iPad's case if you have one.)

1. (aka https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VRG55W/)
    2. Any issues with the iPadOS getting confused between the hub's audio input/output and the plugged in USB audio interface's inputs/outputs?
    3. What are you using to power and charge the iPad?
    4. (Thanks for the YT-content!)
  • Thanks for the info all...

Looks like I'll try the following combo and will report back if there's anything worth noting...

• @boberto I power the nucleum with the usb-c Cable and adapter that I would normally have hooked up to my iPad. That uses up one of the usb-c ports on the nucleum.

• @boberto said:

So you connect a USB-C_to_USB-C cable from your iPad into one of that hub's USB-C ports? Because I would think you need to plug it into the master/host port (the one with the funky stacked connector) on the other side. So does that charge the iPad while you use it? Or do you have more adapters in between your iPad and the hub?

It comes with its own power supply as well as the funky connector cable (which is actually a USB B 3.0 to USB C cord). The iPad connects differently to device as a “host”, if you just plugged the iPad into a front port, it would not identify that all of the ports are meant as inputs to the iPad. This would not be uniquely true of my preferred usb hub, but really all of them to my knowledge, you want the iPad plugged into the back as the “host” device. Hope that makes sense.

• I think I answered the question other than the separate power supply. With a hub with power delivery you just plug any USB C that has enough watts into the PD port and it charges everything including your device. I never used the HooToo with the iPad because I have lightning iPads. The Surface is the same idea though.