Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14 and audio units

Comments

• I was thinking that there might be specific AUv3 plugin(s) that is somehow causing it.. that is why it happens to some users and not others.

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    Since 14.2 (?) and 14.3 I never had this in drambo anymore :)
    Before I could trigger it with letting the device run out of battery and after that it forgot about au every time ...

Haven’t seen this happening for quite some time now 😁 party 🎉
    Other hosts still have trouble from what I read

Since I ditched using anything iaa no more reboots for me. :)
    Have to say I’m smooth sailing now.

I guess what other people still see is IAA messing everything up and ghosting around in the background?

Funny for me it’s the other way around. I think it only happened since 14.2. And I never use IAA 😆

• @god said:

@Max23 said:
    Before I could trigger it with letting the device run out of battery and after that it forgot about au every time ...

I guess what other people still see is IAA messing everything up and ghosting around in the background?

Funny for me it’s the other way around. I think it only happened since 14.2. And I never use IAA 😆

Same here. It never happened to me before 14.2 and I also never use IAA on my iPhone.

• @Max23 said:

This issue is not triggered by using or having IAA.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@ahallam said: on my iPhone.

hm, im on iPad

I tend to use my phone more for making noises while I’m commuting, which is where I noticed the bug first. Still happened on my iPad though, where I have IAA apps installed, but haven’t used any in close to a year.

• Does not happen on my iPhone 11 with iOS 14.3

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

This issue is not triggered by using or having IAA.

yes, but iaa is a bag full of hurt, so avoid that ;)

Not all IAA are a bag of hurt. Some IAA apps are super solid. Some AUv3 are crashfests.

• When I went to bed last night AUv3s were working just fine but when I woke up this morning they were not . I’ve no idea what was the trigger for their deaths! 😠

But anyway those here who use 14.4 betas and had the problem on 14.2/3.. is the problem gone?

• @god or any other who has this bug did you actually file a bug with Apple?

• edited January 2021

I just got a reply from Apple saying that they can't reproduce the bug. I suspect that they have no idea that it's happening, and I would urge everyone to contact them about it if you're having issues. Maybe an experienced dev like @j_liljedahl will have more info to provide, though I'd be surprised if he hadn't already contacted someone at Apple.

I'll just do what they requested and submit after the next time I encounter the bug. I don't recall if I'd rebooted before sending feedback, but that's what they think happened.

Also tagging @LFS @Michael @giku_beepstreet since this appears to be an issue with all AU hosts, and @dendy so he can follow up with Matt.

• edited January 2021

Having everything broken each year, more and more and for a longer time become an issue. Is it really sustainable for us, not only devs but users? I’ve updated to 14.3 a few days ago because of Cubasis 3 which has AUV3 state saving completely broken (doesn’t fix it), and I’m lucky because almost everything else seems to work correctly including AUV3, but AUM landscape mode on iPhone has odd « jumps » issues and is not really usable anymore, and Lurrsen Mastering Console can’t export to AAC 320 kbps anymore. This sucks!! Apple don’t care about us and seems to know less and less about his stuff.

• @Janosax said:
    Having everything broken each year, more and more and for a longer time become an issue. Is it really sustainable for us, not only devs but users? I’ve updated to 14.3 a few days ago because of Cubasis 3 which has AUV3 state saving completely broken (doesn’t fix it), and I’m lucky because almost everything else seems to work correctly including AUV3, but AUM landscape mode on iPhone has odd « jumps » issues and is not really usable anymore, and Lurrsen Mastering Console can’t export to AAC 320 kbps anymore. This sucks!! Apple don’t care about us and seems to know less and less about his stuff.

Several users of this forum - including myself more than once- had reported this issue and not even a prompt response or acknowledgement by Apple had been recorded. 😠

• Did iOS 14.4 fix the disappearing AUv3 bug for anyone?

• edited January 2021

@god said:
    Did iOS 14.4 fix the disappearing AUv3 bug for anyone?

I only ever updated to iOS 14 just now, to 14.4. No issues so far, tried with AUM, Audiobus, Drambo, BM3. iPad mini 5th gen.

• godgod
    edited January 2021

@Frank303 said:

@god said:

I only ever updated to iOS 14 just now, to 14.4. No issues so far, tried with AUM, Audiobus, Drambo, BM3. iPad mini 5th gen.

Heya, thanks!

Just so you know, this bug might now show itself immediately. It might take a few hours or even a whole day before it pops up, and then the only way to remedy it (temporarily) is a device restart.

I’ve updated my device about 12 hours ago and haven’t encountered the bug yet, but I will not know it’s solved before at least 2 or 3 days have passed.

UPDATE: not fixed 😢 😤

• @god I wonder if your problem is related to something specific in your usage or configuration.

• Do you see any crash or jetsam logs synchronized with the time when you lose the AUv3s?
    • Is there a specific action that seems to trigger it?
    • Do you add/remove AUs on your device?
    • Do you have a huge number of AUs? I have 96 (or so) and no problem.
    • I suspect that something may be causing a server (daemon) to crash, losing its data until reloaded.

I updated to iPadOS 14.2 in November and have stayed current since. I have always been able to access my AUv3s in AudioBus. Once or twice it lost sight of the icons, resorting to generics, but that seems to have been fixed. But my usage is pretty light, less than 10 AUs in any preset.

• edited January 2021

@god said:

The last beta didn’t for me, haven’t used the release of 14.4 enough yet to know.

• Curious if those experiencing the disappearing AUv3 bug are using widgets on their home page? It seems like it may be connected?

• @uncledave said:
    @god I wonder if your problem is related to something specific in your usage or configuration.

• Do you see any crash or jetsam logs synchronized with the time when you lose the AUv3s?
    • Is there a specific action that seems to trigger it?
    • Do you add/remove AUs on your device?
    • Do you have a huge number of AUs? I have 96 (or so) and no problem.
    • I suspect that something may be causing a server (daemon) to crash, losing its data until reloaded.

I updated to iPadOS 14.2 in November and have stayed current since. I have always been able to access my AUv3s in AudioBus. Once or twice it lost sight of the icons, resorting to generics, but that seems to have been fixed. But my usage is pretty light, less than 10 AUs in any preset.

To be honest I've tried researching for a specific reason or reasons for why this is happening to me. I had a few ideas but ultimately all of them fell and I was back to square one. I have no idea what might be causing this anymore. Sent Apple several email about this. I have a lot of AU apps installed, instruments and effects. I have a lot of AU installed, maybe around 96 like you? Don't know.. what count but ballparking here the figure seems right. It never happened to me before iOS 14 - that I know for sure.

@musikeer said:
    Curious if those experiencing the disappearing AUv3 bug are using widgets on their home page? It seems like it may be connected?

None on my device.

• I don't have this happen, so I haven't been able to test anything, but it feels to me like something is trashing or deleting the AU information cache. Something crashing, the system looking for space to recover because it's close to storage limits, a particular host or process that is causing the corruption, ...

• godgod
    edited January 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    I don't have this happen, so I haven't been able to test anything, but it feels to me like something is trashing or deleting the AU information cache. Something crashing, the system looking for space to recover because it's close to storage limits, a particular host or process that is causing the corruption, ...

Well, if that's the case, Apple should definitely be aware of this because this might be a security risk (app should not have the ability to crash AU cache irrecoverably). Personally I have plenty of storage on my device so space should not be a problem, though. I know there is a minority of other users in this forum who are experiencing this, maybe we should start a thread and compare our usage habits.. maybe it'll help us get to the bottom of it. BTW I'm also experiencing other issues with other common plugins, something that is not happening to other users. Like in Cubasis3 I actually can't use Moog Model D because it does not produce sound or produce weird sounds. Or Bleass Alpha and Zeeon crashes.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I don't have this happen, so I haven't been able to test anything, but it feels to me like something is trashing or deleting the AU information cache. Something crashing, the system looking for space to recover because it's close to storage limits, a particular host or process that is causing the corruption, ...

Right. My guess is similar, maybe the same. Since a restart "fixes" it, I assume the data in storage is still valid, and the daemon loads it on startup. But something is causing the daemon to fail, and it doesn't reload the database until the system restarts. Do you know what manages the "App Extensions" (which include Audio Units, and incidentally, Widgets)? Is it possibly pkd?

• @god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Well, if that's the case, Apple should definitely be aware of this because this might be a security risk (app should not have the ability to crash AU cache irrecoverably). Personally I have plenty of storage on my device so space should not be a problem, though. I know there is a minority of other users in this forum who are experiencing this, maybe we should start a thread and compare our usage habits.. maybe it'll help us get to the bottom of it. BTW I'm also experiencing other issues with other common plugins, something that is not happening to other users. Like in Cubasis3 I actually can't use Moog Model D because it does not produce sound or produce weird sounds. Or Bleass Alpha and Zeeon crashes.

It wouldn't need to be a security issue (although it could be). It could be something that an app is doing that causes the system to invalidate the cache in an unexpected way.

Those other issues sound like they might be related to your audio interface. Is there a commonality between people who see the AU issue and audio interfaces?

@uncledave said:
    [...]
    Right. My guess is similar, maybe the same. Since a restart "fixes" it, I assume the data in storage is still valid, and the daemon loads it on startup. But something is causing the daemon to fail, and it doesn't reload the database until the system restarts. Do you know what manages the "App Extensions" (which include Audio Units, and incidentally, Widgets)? Is it possibly pkd?

I don't know what manages the extensions, but this does sound like a good direction to explore.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

It wouldn't need to be a security issue (although it could be). It could be something that an app is doing that causes the system to invalidate the cache in an unexpected way.

Those other issues sound like they might be related to your audio interface. Is there a commonality between people who see the AU issue and audio interfaces?

@uncledave said:
    [...]

I don't know what manages the extensions, but this does sound like a good direction to explore.

I could not find any commonalities between the users. At times I though it happens because I have an older device (iPhone 8 Plus), but I've seen people in this forum with new devices reporting this and people with even older model than mine not experiencing this. I have a suspicion that installing or updating an AU app is increasing the chance for this to happen, but when I am fresh after restart and I do an app update it will not happen.

• Since there are so many types of App Extension, the list of potential trouble sources is almost unlimited. I suppose a problem with any of them could take down the database. Makes it hard to find a root cause. Back in iPasOS 13, I had a problem with SpringBoard, which turned out to be triggered by Reduce Motion. The solution then was "don't do that". So, it could be any, seemingly unrelated, thing.

• @uncledave said:
    Since there are so many types of App Extension, the list of potential trouble sources is almost unlimited. I suppose a problem with any of them could take down the database. Makes it hard to find a root cause. Back in iPasOS 13, I had a problem with SpringBoard, which turned out to be triggered by Reduce Motion. The solution then was "don't do that". So, it could be any, seemingly unrelated, thing.

the list of potential trouble sources is almost unlimited.
    Ouch. This is troubling. I've kinda lost hope that this will get fixed intentionally by Apple. I think me and the other users who are experiencing this are kind of an edge case, and fell between the chairs, into oblivion, where no one can hear our screams :)

• @god said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I wouldn't suspect a device storage limit would cause this. But shortage of processor memory definitely could. Most devices now have at least 2 GB, some have a couple more. Check gsmarena.com to see what your device has. Sometimes apps (even Apple ones) can leak memory and create a clog, which is easily resolved by a restart. Do you experience these problems immediately after restarting? Or do they build up over a few hours of usage?