Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

Comments

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

And of course, this changed the whole behaviour to the version before:

mini:~ tja$ csrutil status
    System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
    mini:~ tja$ pgrep -f powerd
    mini:~ tja$ ps auxwww | grep powerd$
    root              283   0.0  0.0 408257424   7504   ??  Ss   10:35PM   0:00.14 /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd

And this is, why I hate Apple more and more!

This is all wrong!
    It is simply wrong!

Having Unix systems where central parts cannot be changed in the normal run-time, is quite common!
    But you should be able to enter some boot mode, where you can apply changes.

Apple tries to control too much and give no real documentation.

I will probably later try this again, with an attempt to change the plist files by making the root file system read-write.

This is my last hope, Obi Wan.
    I would not like to be forced to really power-off the device.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@tja said:

I am sure, that most of our Mac users will not understand my kind of problems with this.
    Maybe @SevenSystems :D

Because most of us with that many windows have found other solutions, like tabbed applications. Having 40 concurrent SSH sessions sounds like smell that there’s a different workflow problem. I obviously don’t know what your use case is, but that madness would have me looking at automation/centralization/orchestration.

I am an *nix System Administrator with quite a number of servers in several data centers, many of them cluster-nodes.
    When I do something on a cluster, I often open a ssh session to each of the cluster nodes, which could be from 2 to 32.
    Also we have "strings" of applications running on a selection of nodes, where I often need 4 to 16 ssh sessions - and probably for more than one string.

The sessions get sorted over my 3 monitors, so that i can separate and order clusters and strings and get pairs of relevant sessions in full screen to the front and back again to their position.
    Of those windows are heavily sorted and arranged and I already felt in love with what @SevenSystems wrote about KDE / Prisma. Need to seek out if this is available for Windows. For now, I use PowerToys.

There are also applications that allow to have multiple tabs and windows in one larger window (similar to PuTTY Connection Manager), but i REALY hate them out of multiple reasons. Finally, they don't give me what i need.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:
    For generic text-editing I use the free SubEthaEdit (It has some nice optional terminal extensions in case you need to edit files).
    https://subethaedit.net (I'm using the AppStore version to keep it up-to-date).

I have a Drafts subscription, but that is not a generic editor.
    On iPad, i use Textastic and iA Writer, but iA Writer is quite expensive ... and I am not sure how the Mac version of Textastic compares to the iPad version ... the versions numbers are quite different...

So for now, I gladly took your advice and installed SubEthaEdit, thanks :smile:

I'm partial to Textastic mainly because I use it on iOS. With iCloud, switching between all my devices is totally seamless. It's also terrific for editing Mozaic scripts thanks to @_ki 's fantastic Mozaic Language Support syntax extension for it. With Handoff enabled I can do my editing on the Mac and with a few keystrokes and iPad taps, paste right into Mozaic on the iPad. It also has an amazing array of language syntax supports.

It's not the ultimate editor I've ever used (Notepad ++ probably gets that prize), but it's good enough for my purposes.

I love Textastic on iOS and if you cannot say something negative about the macOS version, I will buy it too.
    On iOS / iPadOS, I mostly use Drafts for anything that I just need to write down, MarkDown documents get written in iA Writer and anything technical in Textastic. But I am checking out iVim too :smile:

I also bought iA Writer for Windows, but I hesitate to pay over 30 Euro again for the Mac version.
    Yes, NotePad++ also saw usage on my PC.

Finally, I just have too few time to do everything I would like to do, see, test and try.
    But we all know this :smile:

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

BTW, re-enabled the SIP also re-enabled the iOS / iPadOS Apps!
    So it definitely is coupled to this mode.

Some thread about this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/if-you-disable-sip-all-you-ios-apps-will-stop-working-on-your-m1.2269661/

• @tja said:

Of those windows are heavily sorted and arranged and I already felt in love with what @SevenSystems wrote about KDE / Prisma. Need to seek out if this is available for Windows. For now, I use PowerToys.

Dexpot was probably what you wanted for Windows, but it's abandonware. Maybe look for alternatives to it? It's been a long time since I've looked for alternative shells or Explorer enhancements for Windows.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@tja said:

Dexpot was probably what you wanted for Windows, but it's abandonware. Maybe look for alternatives to it? It's been a long time since I've looked for alternative shells or Explorer enhancements for Windows.

Thanks for the hint! :smile:

• @tja said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@tja said:

Thanks for the hint! :smile:

Ah! Actual Window Manager is still alive!

https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/features/individual_settings/

If you often use such folders as My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places etc., and you want to open them where you indicate, our Actual Window Manager program is made for you. You can set the position and size of any folder's window. Like magic, Actual Window Manager will remember your wish and implement it properly. Now when you click My Computer or My Documents, you will be sure where the window will appear exactly.

• edited January 2021

(Oops) Quoted myself instead of editing.

And so is DisplayFusion, which was one of my favorites. (Taking a stroll down memory lane, here...)

• Thanks, @Liquidmantis

Both are interesting window managers!
    I added them to my list to check out for Windows!

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

As matter of interest, I started the iOS App "Drambo" on macOS and later closed the App again.

But I still see this in the output of "df -k":

/Applications/Drambo.app/Wrapper                                482797652 64285616 402449940    14% 1076816 4826899704    0%   /private/var/folders/ww/_thbkctx6gv24sgjzmlggxkm0000gn/X/18CADE88-BF49-5A35-86AC-9C74361BDF35

So, this filesystem is still mounted after closing Drambo.

I cannot umount it, not even as root.
    No idea, why it is still mounted and how I could get rid of it.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@Samu said:

I've heard from other Windows users that the easiest way to really learn MacOS is to not try and replicate the windows way of doing things but rather just ask the simple question what do I want to do? Mac != Windows or vice versa :)

This. I've made a living supporting Windows at some level or another for 25 years, from Win95 to Server 2019, and switched to Macs for my primary personal workstation a little over six years ago. I still don't feel quite up to the same level, and still get occasionally frustrated by fewer options with things like right-clicking and context menus. Like why can't I right-click a process in Activity Monitor to inspect or kill it? Why can't I right-click in Finder to create a new folder or file?

You can right click to make a new folder, just not while in list view. I just use cmd-shift-n though, because I’m always in list view.

• @mrufino1 said:

You can right click to make a new folder, just not while in list view. I just use cmd-shift-n though, because I’m always in list view.

List view is the only sane view. :wink: Thanks! That hotkey will be helpful.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

I ran into more problems with macOS:

As HDMI seems to be the default primary display, with no way to change this (no, the movable toolbar in the display setting does NOT work!), I simply exchanged my monitors.

The smaller - connected over HDMI - is now in landscape more directly in from of me.
    And the larger - connected over USB-C to DisplayPort - is now in portrait mode to my right.
    This is the same cabling as before.

But in portrait mode, this monitor cannot be configured with it's native 2560x1440 resolution!
    It only features 756x1344 or 720x1280!

As soon as I set it to landscape mode (needing to turn the head), it offers all resolutions again.

I am speechless.

And no, this is not a problem of the monitor, it is a problem of macOS!

The only solution would be to use both monitors in landscape mode - which is not what I need and want.
    BUMMER.

Is there some other way than the "Feedback" webpage to submit macOS bugs to Apple?

• edited January 2021

@tja said:
    I ran into more problems with macOS:

As HDMI seems to be the default primary display, with no way to change this (no, the movable toolbar in the display setting does NOT work!), I simply exchanged my monitors.

The smaller - connected over HDMI - is now in landscape more directly in from of me.
    And the larger - connected over USB-C to DisplayPort - is now in portrait mode to my right.
    This is the same cabling as before.

But in portrait mode, this monitor cannot be configured with it's native 2560x1440 resolution!
    It only features 756x1344 or 720x1280!

As soon as I set it to landscape mode (needing to turn the head), it offers all resolutions again.

I am speechless.

And no, this is not a problem of the monitor, it is a problem of macOS!

The only solution would be to use both monitors in landscape mode - which is not what I need and want.
    BUMMER.

Interesting, surprising, and useful to know; I've never encountered a configuration where dragging the menu bar across didn't work, but maybe it's a Big Sur thing (I'm still on Mojave for now.)

You've probably already considered and rejected this, but are you able to use something other than HDMI for your primary monitor? I just tried this with my 2019 mini (running Mojave) by running Duet on my iPad as a primary monitor and my portrait monitor on 1920 x 1200 as secondary over a DisplayPort-to-VGA connector, which preserved the native resolution in Portrait mode.

(As a footnote, in Settings => Displays => Display => Resolution, the Scaled option displays differently for me for Duet and for the DisplayPort/VGA connection monitors: the pane on the iPad screen shows a series of icons labelled from "Larger Text" to "More Space" without specifying what the resolution actually is in each case, but the one on the DisplayPort/VGA connection shows a list of numerical resolutions, in landscape proportion, from 1200 x 1920 down to 600 x 960 HiDPI. I don't know why this is, or what use it is to know, but I note it in case it suggests anything…)

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@Masanga I think, this may be a Big Sur and / or M1 problem.

The draggable toolbar works for the OS, but not for things like the recovery mode. This always defaults to the monitor connected by HDMI, and I also had this after a macOS update.

So, the HDMI port finally decides which monitor is the primary display.

I ordered a USC-C to HDMI cable, so I can try to revert the situation, connect the larger monitor in landscape mode as primary display over HDMI to DisplayPort and the second monitor in portrait mode over USB-C to HDMI (what a nonsense).

Right now, I will need to use both monitors in landscape orientation.
    :'(

• Your display problems are interesting. I remember when I wanted to get my LG 2560 x 1080 monitor to work. The maximum resolution I could ever get was 1920 x 1080.

The solution was hilarious: I actually had to get MODELINES (you know, like in 1997 in Linux!) for my monitor and hack them in somewhere!

(that was another situation that kind of confirmed my general impression that macOS is Linux, but with all the advantages removed :D )

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@SevenSystems said:
    Your display problems are interesting. I remember when I wanted to get my LG 2560 x 1080 monitor to work. The maximum resolution I could ever get was 1920 x 1080.

The solution was hilarious: I actually had to get MODELINES (you know, like in 1997 in Linux!) for my monitor and hack them in somewhere!

I tried to find a solution, but with no results.
    I may report this to the Feedback site, when there is no other way.

Anyways, I now changed the cabling:

The Mini get's connected over HDMI to HDMI to the larger monitor in landscape mode.
    And the second monitor get's connected by USB-C to DisplayPort.

The Laptop uses the same cables, but with the monitors exchanged.

The PC only offers DVI.

This way, I don't need a new cable, even if the Mac now is "reduced" to HDMI for the primary display.

(that was another situation that kind of confirmed my general impression that macOS is Linux, but with all the advantages removed :D )

:D :D :D

• I noticed some flashing of the monitors .... every few minutes.

No idea what causes this.

• edited January 2021

@tja said:
    I noticed some flashing of the monitors .... every few minutes.

If it's only one, a higher-quality cable and clearing out the plugs / sockets with pressurized air (read: blow into them) might help. If it's always both at once, then it sounds like a GPU / OS problem and pretty scary.

Maybe you pmset'ted a bit too much :D

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@SevenSystems said:

@tja said:
    I noticed some flashing of the monitors .... every few minutes.

If it's only one, a higher-quality cable and clearing out the plugs / sockets with pressurized air (read: blow into them) might help. If it's always both at once, then it sounds like a GPU / OS problem and pretty scary.

Maybe you pmset'ted a bit too much :D

I feels like some notification.
    Will watch this some time.
    All cable are new, no need to clean them.

Next thing: Safari is hanging on some some webpages!
    EDIT: Same page works without problem in Firefox

• @tja, this flashing is confirmation you've been hacked! You need to go right now into your spam folder and find one of the emails there that offers to help. They will ask you for a credit card number and some personal information to verify your identity, but trust me, any small fee they do charge to fix your problem is worth it!

You need to check the spam folder to find these emails though because the hackers make it a practice of redirecting those messages there to keep you from getting the help you need to disable the hack. Oh, and don't be put off by bad spelling or grammar, cryptic email addresses, duplicate messages, etc. These are necessary tactics that the people who really want to help you use to try to fool the hackers from detecting their emails. The more poorly crafted the email the more likely you're dealing with a true professional. Trust me.

Do it now. Thank me later!

• @wim said:
    @tja, this flashing is confirmation you've been hacked! You need to go right now into your spam folder and find one of the emails there that offers to help. They will ask you for a credit card number and some personal information to verify your identity, but trust me, any small fee they do charge to fix your problem is worth it!

You need to check the spam folder to find these emails though because the hackers make it a practice of redirecting those messages there to keep you from getting the help you need to disable the hack. Oh, and don't be put off by bad spelling or grammar, cryptic email addresses, duplicate messages, etc. These are necessary tactics that the people who really want to help you use to try to fool the hackers from detecting their emails. The more poorly crafted the email the more likely you're dealing with a true professional. Trust me.

Do it now. Thank me later!

Luckily, I have no Mail on this system :-D

I still think, that this is some notification ...

• Next macOS Bug:

Trying to use AirDrop, the Mini offers me to send to all device that are in WiFi and Bluetooth.
    Sadly, it only offer the name of the iCloud contact and the type of device.

That list could look like this:

TJA, iPad
    TJA, iPad
    TJA, iPad
    TJA, iPhone
    TJA, iPhone

No, it does NOT show the device names!!!

• I had several strange effects with SIP disabled.

Some websites resulted in a hanging Safari tabs.
    Telegram could not be started anymore - no window did show up, similar to iOS Apps.

I enabled it again.
    The flashing of the screens is also gone, as it seems.

macOS is frustrating, to be honest.
    And I am just trying some basics:

1. Suspend to disk, without ANY activity
    2. Have a 2560x1440 monitor also running in portrait mode
    3. Sent stuff to iPads and iPhones over AirDrop
    4. Controlling, which monitor is the main monitor, which also shows the login-mask
    5. Delete content without confirmation or additional required steps
    6. Click on any control in a window that not currently has the focus / is active
    7. Close Apps on closing their last windows (at least optionally)
    8. Bring all windows of an App to the front, also those that were minimised before
  • @Liquidmantis said:

@mrufino1 said:

List view is the only sane view. :wink: Thanks! That hotkey will be helpful.

I agree, I can’t stand any of the icon views.

• Next problem ....

I tried to test Sidecar between Mac and iPad.

It requires Two Factor Authentication.
    Why, Apple, why?!?

I planned to use this at best for a secondary account, to be used as developer account.

But now, I need to think about enabling this for my main account and open doors to hack into my account.
    And this will even more prevent me from using iCloud.

This is a massive bummer.

But then ... do i really need Sidecar?!?

Still, Apple frustrates me again ... over and over again

• What I noticed while testing AirDrop:

My Mac knew my WiFi password!

I cannot remember to ever have typed this in!

• @tja said:
    What I noticed while testing AirDrop:

AirDrop does not use existing WiFi infrastructure, it creates an Ad-Hoc network.

• @SevenSystems said:

@tja said:
    What I noticed while testing AirDrop:

AirDrop does not use existing WiFi infrastructure, it creates an Ad-Hoc network.

That does not seem to be true, to be honest.

All iPads are connected to my regular WiFi and now, the Mac is also connected to my regular WiFi!

This AdHoc WiFi may be used, when the devices are not in a regular WiFi.