Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

Comments

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@Samu said:
    @tja Hope you've already figured out the 'force quit' Alt+Command+ESC :)
    It can be pretty handy if apps should get 'stuck' or become unresponsive at some point.

option-command-Esc, I assume

Thanks, will try to remember that!

Onyx also has some nice Tweaks, some of them are also present in Thinker Tool but options are good right?
    (Onyx needs a bit more FIleSystem permissions so you need to drag the app-icon to System Preferences ->Security & Privacy/Privacy 'Full Disk Access' and it may ask you for permission to use Accessibility for the automated tasks).

Personally I try to keep the system 'as clean as possible' so updates will not cause issues with 3rd party stuff.
    (Both Onyx and ThinkerTool usually get updated after each system update so it's good to make sure the versions are up to date).

I feel the same.

As for file extraction I use the free The Unarchiver (from the Appstore) it unpacks just about anything.

Installed, thanks :smile:

There is an overwhelming amount of Apps in this area :o :o :o

For generic text-editing I use the free SubEthaEdit (It has some nice optional terminal extensions in case you need to edit files).
    https://subethaedit.net (I'm using the AppStore version to keep it up-to-date).

I have a Drafts subscription, but that is not a generic editor.
    On iPad, i use Textastic and iA Writer, but iA Writer is quite expensive ... and I am not sure how the Mac version of Textastic compares to the iPad version ... the versions numbers are quite different...

So for now, I gladly took your advice and installed SubEthaEdit, thanks :smile:

I'm also lazy so most of the time I launch applications using SpotLight (Command+Space) and partially type the app name.
    I also leave many applications in fullscreen mode and use expose or two finger swipe on the Magic Mouse to swap apps/desktops when needed. (Also I'm lazy organizing files so I use spotlight to find the files).

I seldom turn off my MacMini. I just put it to sleep so it's up and ready when I wake up in the morning :)

I disabled spotlight :D

And about my "pmset" experiments, I just want to understand those things and be able to get the Mini sleep deep enough to do nothing.

I like it, when my computers don't loose nothing at a power failure .... but i prefer a "suspend to disk" over a "not really sleep at all, but pretend to do" modus.
    After i understood everything, I may opt for some other final configuration - but first, I need to understand.

Thanks for your hints!

• edited January 2021

@tja said:

@Samu said:
    For generic text-editing I use the free SubEthaEdit (It has some nice optional terminal extensions in case you need to edit files).

On iPad, i use Textastic and iA Writer, but iA Writer is quite expensive ... and I am not sure how the Mac version of Textastic compares to the iPad version ... the versions numbers are quite different...

The venerable BBEdit is a very popular and versatile paid editor worth checking out. I've been using it so long that I don't really know whether it's actually better, but it does almost everything I want (and Nisus does all the rest - alongside DEVONthink, it's one of the all-time Mac killer apps).

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@Masanga said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

The venerable BBEdit is a very popular and versatile paid editor worth checking out. I've been using it so long that I don't really know whether it's actually better, but it does almost everything I want (and Nisus does all the rest - alongside DEVONthink, it's one of the all-time Mac killer apps).

Will try out BBEdit too, thanks!
    EDIT: It now seems to require a subscription ... I would rather prefer to buy something, but SubEthaEdit may be enough already.

Bought DEVONthink yesterday .... thanks to you :D

• edited January 2021

@tja said:
    Hehehe :D

Now, i think i used "FVWM" long time ago and after that probably "awesome".

The window manager only needed to open lots and lots of terminal windows and offer many ways to auto-arrange them.

"KDE" seems quite bloated :smile:

People are stuck in the past there (I'm not blaming you!) -- KDE (Plasma) nowadays is among the most resource efficient (both RAM and CPU/GPU use) desktop environments out there, plus it has gone from "pretty buggy" in the 4.x series to "virtually bug-free" in 5.x. If you ever return to Linux for desktop use, you should check out KDE Neon. It's just amazing. (and it still retains that legendary everything is 150% customizable flair).

(no, I'm not on their open-source payroll :D )

• @tja said:

That may be the cause of your problem with the AppStore.

The Spotlight index gets used by the system for a number of purposes, such as populating the "Open With" list when you right-click a file. It's often cited as a cause of problems when the AppStore starts showing updates for apps you no longer have installed, and rebuilding the index is sometimes suggested as a possible solution to the AppStore updates page being blank when updates are actually available.

Apple have been changing how the internals work a lot over the last few versions in the name of security so I'm not 100% sure it's still the case.

• Thanks for that hint, @SevenSystems
    But I don't see me using Linux Desktop for anytime soon anyways, only remote over PuTTY and ssh ...

• @AlanC3 said:

@tja said:

That may be the cause of your problem with the AppStore.

The Spotlight index gets used by the system for a number of purposes, such as populating the "Open With" list when you right-click a file. It's often cited as a cause of problems when the AppStore starts showing updates for apps you no longer have installed, and rebuilding the index is sometimes suggested as a possible solution to the AppStore updates page being blank when updates are actually available.

Apple have been changing how the internals work a lot over the last few versions in the name of security so I'm not 100% sure it's still the case.

I hope, that this is not the case anymore.

Bundling App Store updates together with Spotlight ... is a strange idea.

I simply don't want Apple / macOS to index any files or their content.

This content is mine only and no process shall look into that stuff.
    And if I need to find something, I can use the "find" command instead - but I never need that, I know where my files are.

BTW, my Mac says that "their" is written wrong and offers "they're" or "there" instead.

• @tja said:

Not really. The AppStore needs to know what's installed, as does Open With, and you don't have to keep apps in the Applications folder, so why not use the service that indexes the filesystem to get that information.

• @AlanC3 said:

@tja said:

Not really. The AppStore needs to know what's installed, as does Open With, and you don't have to keep apps in the Applications folder, so why not use the service that indexes the filesystem to get that information.

Sorry, but this argument is not very valid.

The App Store App already knows exactly, which Apps i have installed and even ever had installed!

And if Apple does not use some list of installed Apps on a device itself, that would be very very strange.
    Normally, there is a package manager for something like this.

It would be very strange to install Apps to a system and just forget about them and then needing to search the whole system over and over again to remember which Apps are installed.

If Apple did it this way, it is simply a bad idea.

• Nobody knows any public Xcode repository that compiles on M1 Big Sur out of the box?

At best some iOS / iPadOS software, but macOS would be OK too.

Everything I tried so far, could either not be downloaded or did not compile.

I only tried "Clone an existing project" and then hit the Xcode play button, nothing else.

I also experienced several Xcode crashes already.

• You could try something from here:

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/sample-code/

Bear in mind you'll be limited to running iOS projects in the simulator without a (free) developer account.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@AlanC3 said:
    You could try something from here:

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/sample-code/

Bear in mind you'll be limited to running iOS projects in the simulator without a (free) developer account.

Many, many thanks!

I downloaded "Fruta", which compiled flawlessly and got opened in the Simulator - everything seems to work.

I'm happy :smile: :blush:

Yes, i will read about such a developer account soon, but I do not really expect to produce anything "soon" or at all ever :D
    So maybe, I will never need such an account.
    We will see.

• @tja said:

Yes, i will read about such a developer account soon, but I do not really expect to produce anything "soon" or at all ever :D
    We will see.

One of the few reasons would be to be able to side-load (ie. compile and install on the device) apps that Apple for one reason or another doesn't approve on the AppStore. I've not done it but know some who have...

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

We will see.

One of the few reasons would be to be able to side-load (ie. compile and install on the device) apps that Apple for one reason or another doesn't approve on the AppStore. I've not done it but know some who have...

Ah, that's new to me.

Thanks for the advice!

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@Samu said:

@tja said:

We will see.

I tried.

First, I created a new Apple Id.

Then i tried to "enroll"....

But I ended with Apple expecting $99 from me.

I used "Individual"... maybe I should have used "Nonprofit"?

Again, totally cryptic for me.
    Why can't Apple explain the options and what they mean?

I already fear, that I cannot change this anymore.
    And that I will not be able to create another Apple Id with my phone number.

EDIT: I contacted Apple by mail, hopefully this can be fixed...

• The above changes to "pmset" worked!

Last message in log yesterday and first message today, nothing happened in between:

2021-01-02 22:44:19 +0100 Wake Requests         [*process=powerd request=UserWake deltaSecs=97627 wakeAt=2021-01-04 01:51:27 info="com.apple.alarm.user-visible-Weekly Usage Report
    ,668"]           
    2021-01-03 16:08:56 +0100 Assertions            PID 399(mDNSResponder) Created MaintenanceWake "mDNSResponder:maintenance" 00:00:00  id:0x0xd00008933 [System: DeclUser BGTask SRPr
    evSleep kCPU kDisp]    

And waking up is practically instant, no need to wake from RAM :) :) :)

• Sadly, it did NOT work ...

2021-01-04 01:52:12 +0100 Sleep                 Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using AC (Charge:0%) 18281 secs
    2021-01-04 01:52:12 +0100 Wake Requests         [*process=powerd request=UserWake deltaSecs=18280 wakeAt=2021-01-04 06:56:52 info="com.apple.alarm.user-visible-Weekly Usage Report,535"]
    2021-01-04 06:56:52 +0100 Assertions            PID 285(powerd) Created InternalPreventSleep "com.apple.powermanagement.wakeschedule" 00:00:00  id:0x0xd0000a03d [System: DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep IPushSrvc kCPU kDisp]

The "powerd" saved some wake request, that did wake the system at 06:56 in the morning.

This is unbelievable.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

MacOS is massively frustrating me.

Those commands should stop and disable the powerd daemon:

bash-3.2# launchctl stop system/com.apple.powerd
    bash-3.2# launchctl disable system/com.apple.powerd

But it does not work:

bash-3.2# ps auxwww | grep powerd$
    root              1818   0.0  0.0 408241040   7248   ??  Ss    7:14PM   0:00.79 /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd

I even tried to rename the binary, or change it's config file /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist but even as root, i cannot rename or change those files.

After some research, this seems to be part of the "System Integrity Protection".

And this again can only be changed by booting from a recovery system.
    This is nothing I would try to do for now.

It seems, I simply cannot get rid of the powerd!

This mean, I will need to migrate the power cord of the Mini to a switchable hub and then power it off after suspending to disk.

I can only say that - again - Apple is simply taking WAYYY to much control over a system.
    Apple tried to control everything and that get's worse and worse.

• edited January 2021

I use launchctl unload -w on my jailbroken iPhone to permanently disable services (persists through reboots), might work on macOS too?

i.e.:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd

(I also remember now I disabled SIP when I had to "modify" my Mac in order to be usable :D )

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@SevenSystems said:
    I use launchctl unload -w on my jailbroken iPhone to permanently disable services (persists through reboots), might work on macOS too?

i.e.:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd

(I also remember now I disabled SIP when I had to "modify" my Mac in order to be usable :D )

Thanks for the idea, but as you suspected, i first will need to enter the recovery boot and disable SIP ...

bash-3.2# launchctl unload -w /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd: Not a directory
    Unload failed: 20: Not a directory

bash-3.2# launchctl unload -w /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/swd: Invalid path
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/uk.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/English.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/Dutch.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/German.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/en_GB.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/fi.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/es_419.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/sv.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/hu.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/zh_TW.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/Italian.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/pt_PT.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/cs.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/tr.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/French.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ru.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/en_AU.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/da.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ms.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ko.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/vi.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ro.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/id.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/hi.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd.codes: Invalid path
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/sk.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/no.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/Spanish.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/pl.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.iokit.power: Invalid path
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/_CodeSignature: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ar.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/el.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/zh_CN.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/AppWorkaround.plist: Invalid property list
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/fr_CA.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/version.plist: Invalid property list
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/pt.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/ca.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/hr.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/Japanese.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/powerd: Invalid path
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/he.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/zh_HK.lproj: Path not searched for services
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/Info.plist: Invalid property list
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/th.lproj: Path not searched for services
    Unload failed: 133: Multiple errors were returned; see stderr

I also tried "-F".

• This would be the right syntax:

bash-3.2# launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist
    /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged
    Unload failed: 150: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged

And it shows, what will be required.

• @tja heh, that's funny because the exact commandline that I posted works on iOS. I'd have thought iOS and macOS are much more similar than they apparently are.

So hope you can get it to work then after disabling SIP. (If you dare! :))

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

Another nitpick with macOS and Apple:

App windows that are minimised by their window menu button get "totally" minimised:

They do not come back when clicking the App icon in the tool bar, which is OK ... kind of.
    At least, this helps with the problem that all windows of an App are otherwise handled together.

But "Bring all to front" should un-minimise those windows!

Otherwise, you would need to click all of them one after the other (with the diamond symbol in the list of windows) to bring them to the foreground again!

At work, I often have 40 or more ssh sessions - that could never ever work at all.
    There needs to be a way to get all windows together back to the front .... as long as there is no real taskbar, offering an icon for each single window, I see no other way to handle them otherwise.

Apple does things in a certain way, but does not think about the consequences and what exactly will be required to handle the whole situation with all implications.

Maybe there is some trick to fix this and bring back all of the windows of an App, but I fear that Apple only thought about 1 or 2 windows and never saw a need for this essential feature.

If this is true, macOS is on the border of being un-useable for many sorts of usage - all that require lots of windows from an App.
    For me, those are primarily Terminal windows, ssh-Client windows, Webbrowser windows, mind mapping windows.

I am sure, that most of our Mac users will not understand my kind of problems with this.
    Maybe @SevenSystems :D

• I found this about the M1 boot-modes, but nothing from Apple:

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/28/startup-modes-for-m1-macs/

Going to try tomorrow ...

• @tja said:
    I am sure, that most of our Mac users will not understand my kind of problems with this.

:D well yeah. I mean, there's a huge bandwidth of available functionality in that arena between desktop environments... let's put Windows 7 at 100%. macOS would then be around 20%, and KDE / Plasma at 2000% :)

In Plasma, I've defined Window Rules for every single application window / use case, so any and all windows, dialogs and whatever else always open on the correct virtual desktop, in the correct position and size, with a titlebar color scheme matching the app's theme (or no titlebar at all for some). Even though Plasma offers 29384742389723489 ways to efficiently manage windows, I don't have to manage windows because I've already told it how to do it for me :D (I know I'm not converting you into a desktop Linux user anytime soon ;))

• @tja said:

Because most of us with that many windows have found other solutions, like tabbed applications. Having 40 concurrent SSH sessions sounds like smell that there’s a different workflow problem. I obviously don’t know what your use case is, but that madness would have me looking at automation/centralization/orchestration.

• @tja said:

@Samu said:

I'm partial to Textastic mainly because I use it on iOS. With iCloud, switching between all my devices is totally seamless. It's also terrific for editing Mozaic scripts thanks to @_ki 's fantastic Mozaic Language Support syntax extension for it. With Handoff enabled I can do my editing on the Mac and with a few keystrokes and iPad taps, paste right into Mozaic on the iPad. It also has an amazing array of language syntax supports.

It's not the ultimate editor I've ever used (Notepad ++ probably gets that prize), but it's good enough for my purposes.

• edited January 2021

@Liquidmantis said:
    Because most of us with that many windows have found other solutions, like tabbed applications.

I can't speak for @tja, but in my view, tabs are a flawed concept to begin with, and I have struggled for a long time to make applications NOT use them (especially difficult with Chromium/Chrome, but doable with lots of hacks and flags).

If you have a competent window manager (like KWin/Plasma), tabs are just a nuisance, for various reasons:

1. Every application has a different UI / concept / keyboard shortcuts for managing tabs, which breaks mental flow
    2. Centralization of task / window management is broken because suddenly, tasks move into applications, instead of being a global entity
    3. The window manager has a much better position to manage documents because it has more control and can control ALL documents of ALL applications, giving more flexibility
    4. Tabs cannot be integrated into central task management overviews like "Present Windows" in KDE Plasma.
    5. Tabs cannot be moved between virtual desktops
    6. etc.

Again, I deeply despise tabs and anyone with a sane window manager would agree.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

I will reply to the other postings later.
    For now some feedback about what I tried with the problems of "powerd" and SIP:

I booted into the recover mode, enabled installation of kernel extensions and then entered a terminal, where I issued "csrutil disable".

After that I rebooted, but the system seemed to hang and after some tries and using Google on an iPad, I rebooted again.

This time, I would open Applications again.

Trying this, did still not work:

mini:~ tja$ launchctl unload -w /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist
    Unload failed: 5: Input/output error
    mini:~ tja$ launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist

But stopping the service now works:

mini:~ tja$ launchctl stop /System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle/com.apple.powerd.plist
    mini:~ tja$ pgrep -f powerd
    mini:~ tja$

Even as I have ZERO knowledge of macOS, I'm somewhat fluent in *nix in general and this is similar enough.

Strangely, the root filesystem is still mounted read-only, so I still cannot modify any plist configuration file:

root@mini:/System/Library/CoreServices/powerd.bundle touch test
    touch: test: Read-only file system

I wanted to make sure that powerd does not get started after a reboot, as I fear that "launchctl stop ..." will not prevent this. Will see after next reboot.

I found some remarks about iOS Apps not working anymore, when SIP is disabled.

So I tested this and it seems to be true - I cannot open any of the iOS Apps anymore!
    I know too few about macOS, so I have no idea which logfile could contain more information about the actual problems.

And as I do not yet know if powerd stays disabled, I will not yet re-enable SIP again.

We will see.

What more:

Again, the wrong monitor was chosen as primary display!

I have the feeling, that macOS cannot configured this correctly and that probably the monitor connected over HDMI will always fall back to be the primary display.
    I will later check this by change of the cables.
    Very bad, Apple.

One final comment: In the Recovery Mode, I was not able to use mouse and keyboard at all, when they were connected over my USB Hub!
    I needed to unpluck them and use the USB ports on the Mac Mini directly!

• Very interesting:

After rebooting again:

mini:~ tja$ ps auxwww | grep powerd
    tja                742   0.0  0.0 408121728   1392 s000  S+   10:26PM   0:00.00 grep powerd

So, powerd is still gone!
    Great!

So, I will not try to re-enable SIP and check if this is still true.