Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3

Comments

• edited May 2020

Can the Launchkey Mini Mk3 change the midi channels of the knobs as well (if not the pads, since I think they're stuck in Ch 10)? I literally can't find any info on this. All that's mentioned in the manual is that shift + transpose + pad# can be used to change the midi channel of the keyboard.

The Mk2 series can at least change the channels of the knobs (from what I've read of the Mini 25 manual, and from my experience with my Launchkey 61).

Although based on my recent troubles with mapping my Launchkey 61... might go with an Akai Mini or the Minilab 😂 I really want a more normal key 25 key midi keyboard as an alternative to my Nanokey Studio 😂 I can't play that thing without looking at the keys all the time 😂 The Minilab's horizontal 8 pads and lack of non-endless encoders is just the bummer with it.

• @valcroft said:
    Can the Launchkey Mini Mk3 change the midi channels of the knobs as well (if not the pads, since I think they're stuck in Ch 10)? I literally can't find any info on this. All that's mentioned in the manual is it can be used change the midi channel of the keyboard.

The Mk2 series can at least change the channels of the knobs (from what I've read of the Mini 25 manual, and from my experience with my Launchkey 61).

Although based on my recent troubles with mapping my Launchkey 61... might go with an Akai Mini or the Minilab 😂 I really want a more normal key 25 key midi keyboard as an alternative to my Nanokey Studio 😂 I can't play that thing without looking at the keys all the time 😂 The Minilab's horizontal 8 pads and lack of non-endless encoders is just the bummer with it.

Nope! Major bonehead move. All controls are on the main/master channel. Makes it’s value waaaayyyy lower.

It’s stupid. My ancient maudio axiom blows this (and to be honest most newly released) midi controller out of the water. It’s just so damn big...

• Agreed, I had to let mine go for this reason (among others).

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:
    Can the Launchkey Mini Mk3 change the midi channels of the knobs as well (if not the pads, since I think they're stuck in Ch 10)? I literally can't find any info on this. All that's mentioned in the manual is it can be used change the midi channel of the keyboard.

Nope! Major bonehead move. All controls are on the main/master channel. Makes it’s value waaaayyyy lower.

It’s stupid. My ancient maudio axiom blows this (and to be honest most newly released) midi controller out of the water. It’s just so damn big...

Hey just confirming, when you mean main channel, do you mean it's like stuck in Channel 1 or Channel 16? Or is it that the channel of the knobs follow the channel of the keyboard, like shift + transpose + pad# change then knobs follow?

If the Launchkey Mini Mk3 doesn't do that following the channel of the keyboard that's so much of a bummer! Too reliant on scripts :O

• edited May 2020

@supadom said:
    Agreed, I had to let mine go for this reason (among others).

What 25 midi keyboard did you stick to the most then? Am debating on whether to wait for Minilabs to restock, or get a Launchkey Mini Mk3 or an Akai MPK Mini Mk2. Although, the fragile keys on the Akai's turning me way off. I'm looking for an alternative to my Nanokey Studio for the keys, so size doesn't really matter.

I just want the 16 pads lol. But if the LK's knobs doesn't even follow the MIDI Channel of the keyboard from 1-16, that makes the device super wtf.

• And while I'm here asking for help (super thanks to you guys who replied, and advanced thanks to those who would reply), are the buttons beside the 16 pads, the arrow and mute pad, re-assignable? And does it change midi channel along with the keyboard? I find assigning two buttons to previous and next preset too valuable. And also assigning two buttons to undo and redo.

Due to the accidental phrasing of my initial question, it's still not clear to me whether the control knobs follow the midi channel set to the keyboard via shift + transpose + pad #. Would be a way to assign more things tho :)))

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Which Axiom model do you use?
    I need a keyboard with pots and pads with selectable midi output but the fact many controller has all control on the main master channel is really bad.

• @Hkor said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Which Axiom model do you use?
    I need a keyboard with pots and pads with selectable midi output but the fact many controller has all control on the main master channel is really bad.

It’s an ancient Axiom 25.

The ONLY downside is the size. It’s cool that it can connect to iPad via usb, then work as a din midi interface.

Programming it is weird, but once you get it, pretty powerful.

I’ve never understood, over the past 10 years, why it seems midi controllers seem to be getting worse in terms of features and functions... weird.

There’s also a ginormous version out there with sliders, more keys, hot tub and an extra bedroom...

• I just got my LaunchKey Mini MK3. I love it! However, since I am completely only using iPad Pro for ALL of my computer needs (just retired the desktop a month ago) I have no access to Novation Components . I will be using a friends computer to set up custom templates in my LaunchKey 3. Can anyone tell me how many custom modes/templates one can have on their LaunchKey Mini MK3?

Novation really needs to give iPad musicians the option to at least buy Components for their new LaunchPad mini and LaunchKey mini MK3s. Hey @AmpifyxNovation can you guys help make this happen? There is no reason to continue to leave iOS musicians without a truly mobile way of editing their templates for their Novation controllers. Again please make this a premium app to buy.

Alright, that’s it from me.

• @SMKArtist said:
    I just got my LaunchKey Mini MK3. I love it! However, since I am completely only using iPad Pro for ALL of my computer needs (just retired the desktop a month ago) I have no access to Novation Components . I will be using a friends computer to set up custom templates in my LaunchKey 3. Can anyone tell me how many custom modes/templates one can have on their LaunchKey Mini MK3?

Novation really needs to give iPad musicians the option to at least buy Components for their new LaunchPad mini and LaunchKey mini MK3s. Hey @AmpifyxNovation can you guys help make this happen? There is no reason to continue to leave iOS musicians without a truly mobile way of editing their templates for their Novation controllers. Again please make this a premium app to buy.

@SMKArtist I use to set up components on my old android phone for my Circuit no problems with that apart from screen size of course!

• @valcroft said:

@supadom said:
    Agreed, I had to let mine go for this reason (among others).

What 25 midi keyboard did you stick to the most then? Am debating on whether to wait for Minilabs to restock, or get a Launchkey Mini Mk3 or an Akai MPK Mini Mk2. Although, the fragile keys on the Akai's turning me way off. I'm looking for an alternative to my Nanokey Studio for the keys, so size doesn't really matter.

I just want the 16 pads lol. But if the LK's knobs doesn't even follow the MIDI Channel of the keyboard from 1-16, that makes the device super wtf.

Sorry I’ve missed your question. I actually haven’t bought anything to replace it. I did buy midiplus X3 but that has no pads at all but the keyboard is awesome and it can be programmed from the unit itself. It also powers off the device.

TBH I’m kinda waiting for Drambo to get proper midi control and that should inform my choice in terms of midi controllers.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:
    I just got my LaunchKey Mini MK3. I love it! However, since I am completely only using iPad Pro for ALL of my computer needs (just retired the desktop a month ago) I have no access to Novation Components . I will be using a friends computer to set up custom templates in my LaunchKey 3. Can anyone tell me how many custom modes/templates one can have on their LaunchKey Mini MK3?

@SMKArtist I use to set up components on my old android phone for my Circuit no problems with that apart from screen size of course!

Sigh...Oh boy... That’s Android. I am talking about iOS.

For iOS there is no Web Midi for iPhone, iPad, and iPad Pro. There is nothing for the iOS musician Who wishes to edit their custom template for the LaunchKey Mini MK3, on the go (with out having to drag a laptop around). I have been talking about this for a while now. I have sort of backed off from the subject only because at the time I was using LaunchPad Mini MK3 and Lee Huddleston of MIdiSynth was awesome enough to make the editor for the custom templates. I just purchased the LaunchKey Mini MK3 and unfortunately, Lee will not be getting the resources needed to make a template editor for the new LaunchKey. That, being said I will be bugging Novation to basically be doing the one thing that Novation should have done a while back.

The reason Novation did not make a Components for iOS is because they actually thought and believed that Web Midi was supported on iOS. I guess it is supported on Android? Cool! But, most mobile music making is on iOS and It really makes sense to support iOS musicians that use their new 2019/2020.

Anyhow I will be pushing for an iOS version of Components. Even ask that they charge for the app since it would be a premium need for iOS musicians. By getting someone to convert the Web Midi version of Components to iOS should be worth making the extra $10 or $20 to Novation. I mean hell it’s already built, now make it iOS compatible now.

The other option is @AmpifyxNovation does it but parts. Basically for the LaunchPad template editor, they offer that as IAP in their LaunchPad App. $6 to have the privilege to edit their LaunchPad MK3s on iOS. The LaunchKey Mini MK3 Editor would be an IAP in their GrooveBox. Again $6 or $10.

IMHO, Novation really built some amazing midi controllers with their new 2019/2020 line up. It’s just a shame that Novation never made sure that every platform user has access to edit their new controllers “when-ever where-ever”.

• @SMKArtist said:

Hey!

This isn't something that Ampify are working on, but I can pass your feedback on to the Novation components team.

Best wishes

Beth (Ampify)

• @AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

Hey!

This isn't something that Ampify are working on, but I can pass your feedback on to the Novation components team.

Best wishes

Beth (Ampify)

Oh man, thank you guys. Please do. It’s so strange that with all the amazing controllers hardware coming out from Novation, that they have not made Components iOS compatible. I was hoping you guys @AmpifyxNovation were the originators of Components but then again, if you were, we would have had an iOS version of the editor suit by now. Oh well.

Off topic question, you all ever thought of getting into the iOS AUV3 host game? It would be a welcome move. I was playing GrooveBox with my new LaunchKey and was thinking; “it would be so awesome if I could use my favorite AUV3 apps in GrooveBox because of the sequencer built in.” Just an idea.

Keep up the good work. Thanks!

• @SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

For iOS there is no Web Midi for iPhone, iPad, and iPad Pro. There is nothing for the iOS musician Who wishes to edit their custom template for the LaunchKey Mini MK3, on the go (with out having to drag a laptop around). I have been talking about this for a while now. I have sort of backed off from the subject only because at the time I was using LaunchPad Mini MK3 and Lee Huddleston of MIdiSynth was awesome enough to make the editor for the custom templates. I just purchased the LaunchKey Mini MK3 and unfortunately, Lee will not be getting the resources needed to make a template editor for the new LaunchKey. That, being said I will be bugging Novation to basically be doing the one thing that Novation should have done a while back.

The reason Novation did not make a Components for iOS is because they actually thought and believed that Web Midi was supported on iOS. I guess it is supported on Android? Cool! But, most mobile music making is on iOS and It really makes sense to support iOS musicians that use their new 2019/2020.

Anyhow I will be pushing for an iOS version of Components. Even ask that they charge for the app since it would be a premium need for iOS musicians. By getting someone to convert the Web Midi version of Components to iOS should be worth making the extra $10 or $20 to Novation. I mean hell it’s already built, now make it iOS compatible now.

The other option is @AmpifyxNovation does it but parts. Basically for the LaunchPad template editor, they offer that as IAP in their LaunchPad App. $6 to have the privilege to edit their LaunchPad MK3s on iOS. The LaunchKey Mini MK3 Editor would be an IAP in their GrooveBox. Again $6 or $10.

IMHO, Novation really built some amazing midi controllers with their new 2019/2020 line up. It’s just a shame that Novation never made sure that every platform user has access to edit their new controllers “when-ever where-ever”.

Yes I agree would be great if Components came to iOS however I think it’s the iOS Apple side that’s the problem not Novation.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

Yes I agree would be great if Components came to iOS however I think it’s the iOS Apple side that’s the problem not Novation.

Nope!

It’s actually the Novation side. I know this for a fact. Novation and I had a back and forth on Twitter about this. They clearly had NO IDEA that iOS did not support Web Midi. Novation truly thought they got it right when they decided to to make Components a web midi app suite. The intent was to make their controller editing software be accessible to all users be it from PC to Mac, Android to iOS. Because Novation is corporation they go through meetings about stuff, figure out how to schedule projects and so forth, they need a constant reminder that they need to fix wide scale things like making a proper iOS app for the controller products their customers love. Obviously they are responsive here in the US (not so much in England) but they need to hear more voices to let them know that; “HEY! We still need this!”. Be polite about it. Just don’t let up.

It’s so awesome of Lee of @Midisynth to have built the Template Editor he did for the new 2019/2020 LaunchPad MK3s. It was a lot of work. However he has not had the time to dive into making the template editor to go with the LaunchKey Mini MK3. It’s not something that will be offered as part of MidiSynth’s IAP. I would pay $10 for that feature in MidiSynth, but I guess there wasn’t enough of a demand for that feature.

Anyhow. First party companies need to get used to iOS as part of the list of operating systems they need to comply with when making software editors for their midi controllers and other synth hardware.

To be fair, Novation as done the best at “trying” to meet the demands of their mobile musicians (I guess Android users can use components). They just didn’t complete their homework and it showed in their response to me.

• @SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

Nope!

It’s actually the Novation side. I know this for a fact. Novation and I had a back and forth on Twitter about this. They clearly had NO IDEA that iOS did not support Web Midi. Novation truly thought they got it right when they decided to to make Components a web midi app suite. The intent was to make their controller editing software be accessible to all users be it from PC to Mac, Android to iOS. Because Novation is corporation they go through meetings about stuff, figure out how to schedule projects and so forth, they need a constant reminder that they need to fix wide scale things like making a proper iOS app for the controller products their customers love. Obviously they are responsive here in the US (not so much in England) but they need to hear more voices to let them know that; “HEY! We still need this!”. Be polite about it. Just don’t let up.

It’s so awesome of Lee of @Midisynth to have built the Template Editor he did for the new 2019/2020 LaunchPad MK3s. It was a lot of work. However he has not had the time to dive into making the template editor to go with the LaunchKey Mini MK3. It’s not something that will be offered as part of MidiSynth’s IAP. I would pay $10 for that feature in MidiSynth, but I guess there wasn’t enough of a demand for that feature.

Anyhow. First party companies need to get used to iOS as part of the list of operating systems they need to comply with when making software editors for their midi controllers and other synth hardware.

To be fair, Novation as done the best at “trying” to meet the demands of their mobile musicians (I guess Android users can use components). They just didn’t complete their homework and it showed in their response to me.

Yes been a lot written about this problem if that’s the case hopefully Novation can fix it as I’m sure it would actually boost sales on certain controllers.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@SMKArtist said:

Nope!

Yes been a lot written about this problem if that’s the case hopefully Novation can fix it as I’m sure it would actually boost sales on certain controllers.

Even better, I think they should charge money for it. Id pay!

• @SMKArtist said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

Hey!

Best wishes

Beth (Ampify)

Oh man, thank you guys. Please do. It’s so strange that with all the amazing controllers hardware coming out from Novation, that they have not made Components iOS compatible. I was hoping you guys @AmpifyxNovation were the originators of Components but then again, if you were, we would have had an iOS version of the editor suit by now. Oh well.

Off topic question, you all ever thought of getting into the iOS AUV3 host game? It would be a welcome move. I was playing GrooveBox with my new LaunchKey and was thinking; “it would be so awesome if I could use my favorite AUV3 apps in GrooveBox because of the sequencer built in.” Just an idea.

Ah interesting, that request actually hasn't come up before (as far as I can remember). I'll raise it with the team, it is certainly a cool idea.

Cheers,
    Beth (Ampify)

• edited May 2020

@AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

Hey!

Best wishes

Beth (Ampify)

Ah interesting, that request actually hasn't come up before (as far as I can remember). I'll raise it with the team, it is certainly a cool idea.

Cheers,
    Beth (Ampify)

Could I request pan for the mixer, and an Arpeggiator mode for the keyboard. Thanks

Also, when using the Launchkey mini mk3 with groovebox does the hardware keyboard respect the scale chosen in the app? So the white keys play the scale notes? If not, can I request that if possible?

• @AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:

@SMKArtist said:

Hey!

Best wishes

Beth (Ampify)

Cheers,
    Beth (Ampify)

Beth at @AmpifyxNovation , thank you for your response.

I hope the idea was received well. The main feature of an iOS synth host from Ampify would be your built in sequencer. Expanding GrooveBox in this way would be a serious game changer.

Also is there anyway we could have GrooveBox be fully integrated with LaunchPad in the same way BlocksWave works with LaunchPad?

It would be so nice to take the color coded creations made by my new LaunchKey mini MK3 in GrooveBox and have those loops dropped seamlessly into LaunchPad app.

• Sorry to revive an old thread ... but this has come the closest to answering my question about the LaunchKey mini Mk3 ... but not quite.

Does this keyboard send PC (Program Change) midi messages in standalone mode ? (And if so, how ?)

Lending weight to NO;

• Neither 'Program Change', or 'PC' appears in the manual.
    • Earlier in this thread someone ( @supadom ) appeared to state a preference for an MPK in order to get PC midi.
    • No apparent support for PC in the components website.

Lending weight to YES;

• 'Program Change' appears on the front panel
    • Promotional materials say "take Launchkey Mini anywhere, send arps and program changes to your hardware synths"

Maybe @AmpifyxNovation can confirm one way or the other ?

• Btw: here is the programmers reference

https://www.kraftmusic.com/media/ownersmanual/Novation_Launchkey_Programmers_Reference_Manual.pdf

I don’t see PC referenced. One could write a Mozaic or StreamByter script to translate its buttons however you’d like.

• Alright, I get it (I think) ... loopop's video says it does do PC midi, so I can only suppose it must be the '+/-' pads combined with shift. Too 'obvious' to get a mention in the manual [sigh].

• edited January 2021

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Hey just confirming, when you mean main channel, do you mean it's like stuck in Channel 1 or Channel 16? Or is it that the channel of the knobs follow the channel of the keyboard, like shift + transpose + pad# change then knobs follow?

If the Launchkey Mini Mk3 doesn't do that following the channel of the keyboard that's so much of a bummer! Too reliant on scripts :O

Just to triple check, this question was answered with a no? The knobs are stuck to 1 channel and it is not possible to use them on different channels?

• @Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Just to triple check, this question was answered with a no? The knobs are stuck to 1 channel and it is not possible to use them on different channels?

I have a mk2 and wrote a Mozaic script that I use to sit between the launchkey and other MIDI apps -- and have set it up so that I can map the lkey's midi to whatever I want. I set up pages so that I could have different sets of dials that I can page through. It is fairly easy to set that up in Mozaic or Streambyter.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

I have a mk2 and wrote a Mozaic script that I use to sit between the launchkey and other MIDI apps -- and have set it up so that I can map the lkey's midi to whatever I want. I set up pages so that I could have different sets of dials that I can page through. It is fairly easy to set that up in Mozaic or Streambyter.

That's pretty interesting, I like the bram bos apps alot.

I'd love to control every parameter of ampify groovebox with external knobs, but as it is neither auv3 nor supports different midi channel I guess this won't be possible in the foreseeable future. Even the launchkey mini supports only the first 3 knobs on an instrument inside the app.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Do you happen to have a copy of the script with you? Wondering if I could modify it for my Launchkey.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

Do you happen to have a copy of the script with you? Wondering if I could modify it for my Launchkey.

I will post it on patchstorage when I test a few recent changes. Probably in the coming week.

• @Bele said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bele said:

@valcroft said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@valcroft said:

That's pretty interesting, I like the bram bos apps alot.

I'd love to control every parameter of ampify groovebox with external knobs, but as it is neither auv3 nor supports different midi channel I guess this won't be possible in the foreseeable future. Even the launchkey mini supports only the first 3 knobs on an instrument inside the app.

Yeah, this wouldn't work for Groovebox because it talks to the hardware directly.