Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence and iPhone drum machines

Just wondering what success people are having in this area?
I’m talking specifically about triggering pads just in Xequence.
It seems like the only ones I own that keep their timing now are Fractal and DM1. Used to use SeekBeats and FunkBox but these seem to no longer hold timing.
Is it because these are kind of abandoned? Maybe I’ve got some settings wrong?
Any others work? I like the two that do work but kind of restricting!
Thanks

Comments

• Are you using a host app, (ie Audiobus 3, AUM, Apematrix) or turning Ableton Link ON for each app?

• Yes! Audiobus

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

I don't understand. Where does timing come in if you're "triggering pads just in Xequence"? Are you saying that you get latency between when you send a note from Xequence to the time it sounds in the app?

Or are you actually triggering sequences in the other apps and experiencing those sequences drifting out of time?

• Yes to the 1st paragraph and no to the 2nd.
    Hitting play in Audiobus runs the drum app’s internal sequences fine. Unfortunately that’s not my workflow.
    It’s playing a song from Xequence that has the issue. Hit play and it sounds like the drum apps mentioned have been in the pub all day (latency).
    As I say, didn’t used to be an issue and others working fine....

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@Zerozerozero said:
    Yes to the 1st paragraph and no to the 2nd.
    Hitting play in Audiobus runs the drum app’s internal sequences fine. Unfortunately that’s not my workflow.
    It’s playing a song from Xequence that has the issue. Hit play and it sounds like the drum apps mentioned have been in the pub all day (latency).
    As I say, didn’t used to be an issue and others working fine....

Thanks for the clarification. I have those apps, so I can do some tests. That seems pretty odd.

What is your latency control setting in Audiobus?
    Are you by chance using Bluetooth headphones or speakers?

• 512 in Audiobus ( noticed in SeekBeats the numbers are slightly different).
    No Bluetooth stuff going on.
    Very interested in results. Will be gutted if these apps are kind of defunct for me. Thanks

• Are you loading SeekBeats and X2 in Audiobus, or just running either alongside? The reason I ask is because Audiobus will should manage the buffer size for all of them if they're loaded in the app itself.

At any rate, if SeekBeats is showing a different buffer setting, that could be the issue. Latency settings (or buffer settings or whatever each app calls them) need to be the same or timing issues will occur. You might try manually setting AB and Seekbeats to the same settings. Also, disable Link and all midi clock in SeekBeats. You don't need that if you're not playing back patterns, and it is just one more thing that could be getting in the way.

I'm off to do some testing.

What iPhone and iOS version are you on?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Hey @Zerozerozero - yeh, if you load Seekbeats in a midi output slot in AB3, the timing is totally off. This rings some bells. I think this issue came up a long time ago, and the cause was SeekBeats using an outdated version of the Audiobus SDK, or something like that

Fortunately there’s a workaround that should help. Don’t load Seekbeats in the midi page of Audiobus. You can load it as an input in the Audio page though.

Enable Virtual In and background Audio, disable link and midi clock. Set the destination of the Xequence instrument to Seekbeats.

This setup works for me with no mor timing issues.

• @wim does it again.
    You should probably charge me for the next one.
    Very happy to have this app back in the fold.
    Such a shame the dev’s left it.
    Thanks again, nuts amount of knowledge 👍🏻🤯

• @Zerozerozero said:
    @wim does it again.
    You should probably charge me for the next one.

He's already on my payroll 😉

• So when I want to make a jump to Hyperspace, I dont load the details into the Nav Computer..... I just ask @wim. 😂😂

• Thanks for the kind words guys.

• edited December 2020

@wim said:
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Well that's because you're a lifesaver.

And now onto my question... :D

How do I use Drumcomputer with Xequence 2? I can open the Alpha demo and use Gadget 2's drum modules but if I try to swap out Gadget for Dc with the same midi channels turned on in Dc and everything left the same in X2 then I get no sound for whatever channels I've put Dc on.

Oh and thanks for yesterday. Soundformore offered to look at the Aum project file, so I'll give that a go next.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@ashh said:

@wim said:

How do I use Drumcomputer with Xequence 2? I can open the Alpha demo and use Gadget 2's drum modules but if I try to swap out Gadget for Dc with the same midi channels turned on in Dc and everything left the same in X2 then I get no sound for whatever channels I've put Dc on.

Oh and thanks for yesterday. Soundformore offered to look at the Aum project file, so I'll give that a go next.

Ahh ... that's not super easy to answer. Drum Computer has a fancy way of mapping notes to its sounds. You can map one note to each pad, or different ranges to them so that you can play each drum at different pitches.

Gadget pads trigger using chromatic notes starting from C2 (note 36).

You can set up Drum Computer so that it triggers its pads using this system too. Tap the Rainbow Colored button to get to the mapping screen. Drag the red 1 to note 36, 2 to note 37 (C#), 3 to note 38, etc.

tap where it says "default" to bring up the mapping presets, then click save, and name it "Gadget Mapping" or something.

[edit, It took me some time to figure out how to find notes that weren't showing in the mapping. There's a thin multicolored bar below the keyboard. Tap the color of the pad you're trying to map on this thin bar to get to the area of the keyboard where it's mapped. You can drag the color along that thin bar to bring it into the octave you want it in.]

• edited December 2020

@wim said:

@ashh said:

@wim said:

Ahh ... that's not super easy to answer. Drum Computer has a fancy way of mapping notes to its sounds. You can map one note to each pad, or different ranges to them so that you can play each drum at different pitches.

Gadget pads trigger using chromatic notes starting from C2 (note 36).

You can set up Drum Computer so that it triggers its pads using this system too. Tap the Rainbow Colored button to get to the mapping screen. Drag the red 1 to note 36, 2 to note 37 (C#), 3 to note 38, etc.

tap where it says "default" to bring up the mapping presets, then click save, and name it "Gadget Mapping" or something.

You da real mvp. I'm not even joking.

I just bluetoothed my Launchpad Pro Mk3 to X2 and it (the note board) played the drums from Dc no bother. So that confirms your answer. Not that it needed it.

Cheers Yoda!

Oh and the rainbow coloured button is the only button I hadnt tried. Aaaaaaargh!

• As old as Yoda I may be. Ear hairs like him I have mmmmmhhh.