Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT- Plasmonic synth for desktop

By the creator of Absynth. Just released. It sounds great and has a wonderful MPE implementation.
It’s 99$/EUR right now.

https://rhizomatic.fr/

Plasmonic combines the resonant depth of physical modeling with subtractive synthesis. Our goal is for Plasmonic to approach the depth and detail of an acoustic instrument, while making it easy to shape the sound into anything you want. Its deep modulation capability and MPE support make it very playable and expressive.

Comments

• @despego said:
    By the creator of Absynth. Just released. It sounds great and has a wonderful MPE implementation.
    It’s 99$/EUR right now.

https://rhizomatic.fr/

Could be tempted by this , but ...and it’s a Big But , if this is it launching then I think they’ve shot themselves in the foot. The last demo video seems to be from 5 months ago. Plus they are not very good demos, I’ve watched all of them & they show ONE sound being played. There’s no demo that shows the UI which people in the comments are not exactly impressed with anyway.
    I think they needed to up their game if they want to sell it.
    Like I said I’m interested but even at an introductory price....I’m not jumping yet

• Agree, they are maybe not that good at marketing. I baked the synth and have been playing with it for a while now.

It’s really well designed, there are tons of modulation options (MPE or otherwise) and sounds very special, with the resonator and the two wave table oscillators. Everything is one click away although you have to get acquainted with its workflow.

Maybe too ambient for my taste ( the fx are otherworldly) but that’s an option (just lower the wet).

I am a bit maniac about UX and MPE implementation but this has both very well for my taste.

I think it would suit your style.

And as far as I know more videos are coming.

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Hmmmm...

Exactly.

Yuli yolo has designed some of the percussive sounds. Very organic, metallic and fm’ish

• @despego how does it compare to Equator, Cypher 2, Strobe 2?

• edited December 2020

@Gavinski I don't know where to start... I'd say Equator is a workhorse, version 2.0 has 6 sound sources: wavetable, noise, sample and granular, etc. Cypher is more focused with 3 osc and Strobe is a modern version of an analog. Of these, Equator 2 is the winner, it sums up the experiences with their predecessors.

Plasmonic is more... "simple", 2 wavetable osc, impulse generator and noise as sound sources and then a resonator and a multimode ladder filter. As FX: saturation, EQ and two time based FX reaaaaaly spacey.

So in terms of sound it lends towards the atmospheric, physical modelling thing. Not a surprise as the developer is the one behind Absynth (Native Instruments) but it definitely can be used in other contexts (ie not so ambient). It can also sound pretty dirty.

There is a slightly different workflow too but everything is modulatable and there is a lot of detail regarding expression and, of course, MPE. I believe there is a demo?

The graphics are a bit dark to my taste but everything is in one page or at least one click away.

Anyway, see the screenshots.

Here the main window showing the "Expression" tab in the modulation section.

Here showing what you can assign to any parameter. In the picture the decay fase of the 1st ADSR

I think it's time to have some serious physical modelling synths on iOS, don't you think?

Take care!

• edited December 2020

Plasmonic is really one of the more interesting new synths but i still prefer Logic´s Sculpture for similar sounds I would made with Plasmonic. Not sure but this old thing beats them all in terms of morphing organic timbres from out of this world but still can emulate realistic sounds as well.
    The GUI from Plasmonic is a bit hard on my eyes and its not something I want to work with for hours.
    For MPE I think Equator is still king and more so Equator 2 but I do not use MPE that much these days since its easy to overdose it as well. In most of all these MPE demos they really go way to far with pitchblende and modulate it to white noise. Its like spice, use it subtle.

• Trying the demo for this now, really like it, I wish we had more of this kind of thing for iOS. The presets are totally my cup of tea too

• edited December 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Trying the demo for this now, really like it, I wish we had more of this kind of thing for iOS. The presets are totally my cup of tea too

Did you know how much physical modeling gold you can find inside Drambo, apart from the great synthesis and processing options?
    They'll give you desktop class power without a doubt.

• edited December 2020

@rs2000 I didn't! This would definitely be beyond me to put together, I assume there are some good patches available on patchstorage?

• @Gavinski said:
    @rs2000 I didn't! This would definitely be beyond me to put together, I assume there are some good patches available on patchstorage?

Maybe. Anyway, let's start super simple with a sound going in the same direction as the flut'ish sound @Liquidmantis posted:

"Key" is set up by tapping the Pitch knob, then tap the note symbol in MIDI to CV. Then turn "Key" up 100%.
    Tap the Modal Resonator input and connect it to the noise generator.
    Now turn all the knobs on the Modal Res. and listen to what happens.
    Wanna play the sound like a synth? Add a Processor > Amp env ADSR.

• Thanks @rs2000 will give that a try later, though this is just an impulse and a resonator, can already use Burns resonator for that. Does Drambo have mpe capabilities?

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks @rs2000 will give that a try later, though this is just an impulse and a resonator, can already use Burns resonator for that. Does Drambo have mpe capabilities?

You're right, I've ignored that but it seems to be one major strength of Plasmonic. MPE and more MIDI control is yet to be done in D.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks @rs2000 will give that a try later, though this is just an impulse and a resonator, can already use Burns resonator for that. Does Drambo have mpe capabilities?

You're right, I've ignored that but it seems to be one major strength of Plasmonic. MPE and more MIDI control is yet to be done in D.

Yeah, and it is really quite a nice mpe implementation. On the other hand, it is on desktop, which is a major downside in my book as I vastly prefer touch screen.

• That will really be amazing if Drambo gets mpe though!

• @Gavinski said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

Yeah, and it is really quite a nice mpe implementation. On the other hand, it is on desktop, which is a major downside in my book as I vastly prefer touch screen.

If you can't live without, translating MPE to CC using Streambyter might be an option... I haven't tried though.

• @Gavinski said:
    That will really be amazing if Drambo gets mpe though!

What MPE features do you use? Can you record an example MIDI track?

• Drambo is really great but a kind of do it all but not all perfect thing (which is O.K., I love Drambo).
    In terms of live playable organic timbres Plasmonic is way more advanced, at least for me.
    A reason why such special synth exist and hopefully will more so in the future.
    There is so much Drambo cannot do or is so far away, however hard i try so you cannot replace everything with Drambo (and again, that is O.k. and I still really love Drambo).
    Plasmonic has also much better FX (the most weak point still with Drambo) and some special things like interesting self oscillating delay effects and also things like sympathetic resonance which adds to a real organic sound.
    That said, Drambo is THE ONE iOS app I really would like to run perfect one day within Logic on my M1 as well.
    And while I still try the demo of Plasmonic, having lots of other physical modelling tools and tried a lot with Drambo I don't know why but Sculpture stays the king by a country mile for me. It just does the organic morphing so well.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

I use all of them if the synth has them, if I record something I will send it to you, cheers 👍

• Mind you, I don't see how cc messages will enable things like per note pitch bend!

• @Gavinski said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

I use all of them if the synth has them, if I record something I will send it to you, cheers 👍

Great!

• But Drambo has MPE , hasn’t it? I believe there is a starter patch and all.

Anyway, regarding the usual “why should I buy this if I can do it with Drambo” my take is exactly the opposite: why should I make it with Drambo if I can buy it.

• @Clueless said:
    Plasmonic is really one of the more interesting new synths but i still prefer Logic´s Sculpture for similar sounds I would made with Plasmonic. Not sure but this old thing beats them all in terms of morphing organic timbres from out of this world but still can emulate realistic sounds as well.
    The GUI from Plasmonic is a bit hard on my eyes and its not something I want to work with for hours.
    For MPE I think Equator is still king and more so Equator 2 but I do not use MPE that much these days since its easy to overdose it as well. In most of all these MPE demos they really go way to far with pitchblende and modulate it to white noise. Its like spice, use it subtle.

Agree with most of it.

I think Sculpture and Plasmonic are two different toys. Plasmonic is more straightforward and has a few tricks up it’s sleeve.

Yes, the GUI is hard to look at. My idea with it is find or create a patch you like and play the hell out of it. I mean, bury your face in your MPE controller of choice rather than in the screen.

And yes Eq2 is king of MPE but still believe they cover different grounds.

• This thing sounds wonderful. Here I'm playing it via Polyphase

• Lovely stuff Gav, I’ve been playing with the demo just with normal MIDI in and off the last few days and it is so rich, really simple to tweak as well!

• @Krupa yes, it is so beautiful

• I love the sound but I’ll be honest I’m not a fan of the GUI and the color scheme. I wish there were different skins.

• @yowza said:
    I love the sound but I’ll be honest I’m not a fan of the GUI and the color scheme. I wish there were different skins.

Have to say I don't mind it, though the way the coarse is on the left on vertical sliders and on the top in vertical ones takes some getting used to.

• The GUI is practical but I agree in that there could be more color schemes.
    It is kind if different in every way and takes time getting used too. Did you see there is mouse wheel support? Hover over a control and scroll.

• Heads up: Plasmonic’s introductory discount ends this Sunday, January 17th at midnight PST. Price will go up to 150 dollars instead of 100. Absolutely loving this and was worth every penny.