Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EG Pulse - ElliottGarage new AU3 Drum Machine - available right now on App Store

Comments

• I’ve been trying to figure out what the ‘reverse’ feature that was mentioned in the change logs a few versions back refers to; is it a sample edit function, or something that can be applied per step?

I’ve been through the manual, and skipped through a good few YouTube’s but I’m still coming up blank on this - if anyone has pulse and knows I’d be all ears :)

• I see Reverse mentioned in that log, but I can’t find it anywhere in the app. Strange.

• @bleep said:
    I see Reverse mentioned in that log, but I can’t find it anywhere in the app. Strange.

Cheers, that is odd...

• edited November 2020

@Knoepfe said:

@bleep said:
    Good question. There was even a short video demonstrating how dragging multiple samples onto a pad was implemented and used as velocity layers.

I remember that. Grabbed Pulse now and didn‘t found it. One can call it a disappointment.

Must have seen that video too, cos I was sure Pulse had velocity layers. I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise. A must for acoustic kits.

Good question. There was even a short video demonstrating how dragging multiple samples onto a pad was implemented and used as velocity layers. I suppose the Segments app has taken all the development time lately.

I find this to be a bit inconsistent. You get a nice drum loop, slice it in Segments... end up with cool and dynamic variations of kicks and snares. Sort of a waste if you can only use one of the hits when exporting to Pulse, you loose the “vibe”.

Is it correct, ok and “ethical” to solicit a refund in cases like this?. > @bleep said:

• @bleep said:
    I see Reverse mentioned in that log, but I can’t find it anywhere in the app. Strange.

There is a reverse bottun in the sample editor.
    Or maybe that is not what you mean ??

• @Lorichs said:

@bleep said:

There is a reverse bottun in the sample editor.
    Or maybe that is not what you mean ??

Ah that looks like it, as I suspected it’s just an editing feature rather than in the sequencer,

Thanks 🙏

• @Lorichs I see what happened there. I only opened pads from factory kits, and for those samples the Norm, Trim, Rev buttons are removed.

• @bleep hmm you are right. No reverse in the factory banks for me either. I don’t know why that option is not available. 🤔

You are welcome @Krupa 😊

• edited November 2020

"Program change to change patterns" How do I do this? What is program change? :D A third kind of "message" besides notes and CC I guess? So to change patterns I have to send MIDI PC 1-16?

Edit: Remapping keys to PC messages with MIDIflow works. PC 1-14 changes pattern to 1-14.

• edited December 2020

@dobbs Jep thats right. However i would say 1-16. The thing isthat in some converters and mozaic 0 counts as 1 an 2 as 1 ect. There are people on this forum who can explain this far better than me 😆. Note that there might be a little bug because i can’t get pattern 16 to change with pc. First i thought i was my mozaic script skills that came in short😂 but i had the same problem in LK.

• Yep you're right, 1-16 ;) And yes, I also can't change to pattern 16. That's odd...

• @dobbs said:
    Yep you're right, 1-16 ;) And yes, I also can't change to pattern 16. That's odd...

Are patterns 1-16 triggered by program change 0-15?

Computer counting usually starts at 0. What we all call midi channel 1 is really channel 0. So program 1 is usually triggered by sending a 0. I haven't tried with this app though.

• @espiegel123
    I think that it depends on what sends the program chance. Sometimes 0 is a value and then the number sequence starts with 0 instead of 1. In that case midi ch 1 is noted as midi ch 0.
    I’m really not good at explaining this because i don’t really understand it. I just accept that it is that way and go along with it 😉. Trial and error 😊

• @Lorichs said:
    @bleep hmm you are right. No reverse in the factory banks for me either. I don’t know why that option is not available. 🤔

You are welcome @Krupa 😊

@ElliottGarage is the reverse button not supposed to be available for factory samples?

• edited December 2020

Pattern 1 is triggered by PC1. But the PC range begins at PC0. At least that's what MIDIflow tells me.

• @DukeWonder yes, because the reverse in the pad audio edit view is destructive and modifies the original file. Anyway the update should include the not-destructive sample reverse per step (as on sEGments).

About the update it's on developing...it becames pretty huge after sEGments additions and it needs a lot of testing...

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @DukeWonder yes, because the reverse in the pad audio edit view is destructive and modifies the original file. Anyway the update should include the not-destructive sample reverse per step (as on sEGments).

About the update it's on developing...it becames pretty huge after sEGments additions and it needs a lot of testing...

Awesome to hear!

• Yessss. Nice to hear 😊

• I'd like to use EG Pulse for professional performance (pianobar). I can not access / touch the iPad when playing the piano so I need to use pedals. I'm able to change patterns via PC (I use iRig BlueBoard) but how do I start/stop playing and how can I trigger a fill ?

It would be nice if drum machine apps in general could be able to replicate the rather simple but very useful functionality of Alesis SR16 and the likes (Footswitch Jacks/Functions: 2; start/stop, count/A/B/fill).

Except for for Lumbeat drum apps, no drum apps in the App Store have this functionality. (Unfortunately Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 and the start/stop, count/A/B/fill can't be selected/loaded via PC or CC)

• @kjetilge said:

Except for for Lumbeat drum apps, no drum apps in the App Store have this functionality. (Unfortunately Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 and the start/stop, count/A/B/fill can't be selected/loaded via PC or CC)

Yes the Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 but they can be controlled by Midi CC PC and notes. Go to the App Store page of your Lumbeat app and expand the app notes to see the Midi mapping. I wish there were a few more midi options there but you can start, stop, fill, switch patterns etc now.

• @kjetilge

Maybe you can load EGpulse in AUM. In AUM play and stop can be midi mapped

• edited December 2020

@yowza said:

@kjetilge said:

Yes the Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 but they can be controlled by Midi CC PC and notes. Go to the App Store page of your Lumbeat app and expand the app notes to see the Midi mapping. I wish there were a few more midi options there but you can start, stop, fill, switch patterns etc now.

I've already spent months trying to make Lumbeat apps work for me. The BIG problem is that the /A/B/fill functionality exists in loadable "templates" called Live Pads. Thes livepads are very nice because they load pads that remember the rythm and the sound (drumkit) but they (the templates) can not be selected/loaded via midi a message. (Though each individual "Pad" can ble played/selected via Notes or PC).

So if you are a typical modern live musician using a setlist app for setting up your sounds and displaying the lyrics/notes (camelot pro, onSong etc..) you will not be able to set up a Lumbeat app with it.

You will have to switch manually to the Lumbeat app, then (with your head tilted 90 degres because you use portrait mode for lyrics) press the "Load" button and scroll through hundreds of pad "files" and select one before you go back to your setlist / lyrics app and start the next (often randomly requested) song. Thre's simply not enough time for that in a live setting.

I've tried to select BANK, RYTHM and SOUND via CC/PC but it's not possible. And even if it was, I would still noe be able to use the otherwise greate "Live Pads" pads feature, which is a shame. 😭

• edited December 2020

@Lorichs said:
    @kjetilge

Maybe you can load EGpulse in AUM. In AUM play and stop can be midi mapped

I've actually managed to start/stop EGpulse from the camelot app by enabling sync. But what is really needed is being able to select next pattern in a more sophisticated way.

On the SR-16 and many other real drum machines from the 90's made for live use you would typically press "foot switch 1" then the "count in" starts followed by "intro fill" and then followed by "pattern A".

If you then press "footswitch 2" while playing "pattern A" you could have a "fill" on top of "pattern A" before automatically transitioning to "pattern B".

If I remember right you can then click twice on "footswitch 1" to get back to "pattern A". If you then press "footswitch 1" once you would trigger the "outro fill" and "Outro/Ending" as the next pattern.

These things where solved 20-30 years ago. Similar or preferably even more sophisticated functionality shuld be standard in all apps that claimes to be a "drum machine" app.

99% of the "drum machine" apps in the app store are just scaled downs sequencers that are (sometimes) better drum composition/production tools.

• @kjetilge said:

I've tried to select BANK, RYTHM and SOUND via CC/PC but it's not possible. And even if it was, I would still noe be able to use the otherwise grate "Live Pads" pads feature, which is a shame. 😭

You've obviously taken this farther than I have but I always thought live pads would be saved if you created a song in the Lumbeat app and songs appear to be MIDI selectable. I never tried it but always assumed that saving a song would save the Live pads too. Does it not work like that?

• @yowza said:

@kjetilge said:

I've tried to select BANK, RYTHM and SOUND via CC/PC but it's not possible. And even if it was, I would still noe be able to use the otherwise grate "Live Pads" pads feature, which is a shame. 😭

You've obviously taken this farther than I have but I always thought live pads would be saved if you created a song in the Lumbeat app and songs appear to be MIDI selectable. I never tried it but always assumed that saving a song would save the Live pads too. Does it not work like that?

In "Song mode" you can define Bank/Rythm, symbals/fills and "jam intensity" for each part. If standard midi "Song select" would have been implemented (which it isn't) and it would be possible to select parts via midi (nope) and control fills via midi (nix) then much of what is needed for live performance would be there. No such joy I'm afraid.

However, you can select next song via midi in "Song mode"

Midi Note C2: Preview Song
    Midi Note D2: Next Song

So you could use this for performing a concert type performance (but with limited ability for changing the arrangement live) by arranging the songs in playing order.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    EG Pulse is now available on the App Store!
    http://app.elliottgarage.com/Pulse

Full feature list:

• Fill & Autofill (every 2, 4, 8, 16 bars)

How can we do start, stop, fill and autofill triggering via midi ?

• edited December 2020

If it isn't supported natively you might create midi clips that contain the single notes to change patterns. For example with LK as clip launcher. Then you could launch the LK clips with a hardware controller or whatever you use...

LK supports probability so you might also make the pattern switches probability based...

• I'm about to give up waiting for drum app vendors to provide this basic functionality. Been researching and testing different apps for a year now. Bought Mozaic yesterday. Next is swift UI / Swift.

• I am finding that in AUM with Pulse set to host sync is not starting to play until 2.1.0 or 3.1.0.

I am running with countoff turned off and no sync options in AUM to confuse things.

Anyone else?

@ElliottGarage ?

• Does anyone find the interface difficult to navigate on this app? Segments has a very nice interface IMO. Functionality is good but I feel like sample manipulation and envelope settings (in additon to pads) should be front and center on the interface. This is a sampler after all. I shouldn’t be navigating to other pages when all I want to do is just shorten the decay of a sample or turn down the gain slightly. Am I missing something?