Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14 and audio units

all my hosts show that i have no audio units installed, on my iphone XS max, since updating to iOS 14.
rebooting is a temporary fix, but i have to reboot almost every time i open up a host to load an auv3.
is there a good way to report this so that it gets attention and not just sent to some spam box at apple?

also are any of you experiencing this?

my ipad pro seems to be just fine

Comments

• edited October 2020

It is reported that iOS 14.2 (still in beta) fixes this. Meanwhile, try viewing IAAs first in your host. Apparently, that performs some initialization that makes the AUv3 list work. This problem, and the work-around, were reported when 14 was released last month.

There's quite a lot of detail in the original thread.

• Been having the same problem on my iPad Pro, good to hear a possible fix is incoming.

• So, I have been having that problem since I put my Air 2 on the beta. It has been off and on and hasn’t affected any sound for me.

I will say that ever since I updated to 14.0.1 the issue has not returned for me.

I’ve been packing for a trip and haven’t used it much on 14.1, so can’t comment on that. I haven’t put my 2nd gen pro on it yet, so can’t say if it’s across the board. Also, I don’t use my iphone but every time I checked the AUv3 icons were showing.

• @DMan said:
    So, I have been having that problem since I put my Air 2 on the beta. It has been off and on and hasn’t affected any sound for me.

I will say that ever since I updated to 14.0.1 the issue has not returned for me.

I’ve been packing for a trip and haven’t used it much on 14.1, so can’t comment on that. I haven’t put my 2nd gen pro on it yet, so can’t say if it’s across the board. Also, I don’t use my iphone but every time I checked the AUv3 icons were showing.

It depends on the host app you're using. AUM was updated with a hack to silently request the list of IAA before listing the AUv3, so it works despite the flaw. Other apps may have also implemented this.

• Still experiencing this in latest OS (iOS 14.2) when NanoStudio2, Cubasis3 or even GarageBand. iPhone 8 Plus.

This issue is so effing frustrating! 😤

• @reasOne said:
    also are any of you experiencing this?

Same problem here. iPad Pro (2017, 10.5”) running iPadOS 14.2 (the current version).
    Had this problem with all 14.x versions.

Not sure if this is a factor, but there are hundreds of AUv3s on the device. And hundreds of other apps.

There was this other bug in 14.0 when the new search on the home screen couldn’t find any of my apps. They said it happened for people with many apps. Fixed in 14.1 or so.
    Maybe this AUv3 bug is similar?

This is really annoying and prevents me from making music. And restarting the iPad several times per day doesn’t work for me. I use the same iPad for many things (no budget for another one).

is there a good way to report this so that it gets attention and not just sent to some spam box at apple?

I really hope Apple is aware of this. Please fix, Apple.

• @Orafu I wonder how many others this is happening with a 10.5 2017 iPad Pro? Here as well. Requesting the iaa list isn’t even working in AUM to bring AUV3 back. As useless as it may seem, I’d send feedback to Apple.

• Has anyone been able to find a solution to the disappearing AUv3 bug yet? I’m still experiencing this so often but maybe this is somehow fixed or have solution in the 14.3 betas?

• edited December 2020

It’s still not fixed in the 14.3 release.

Edit: I did report the bug to Apple as feedback on 14.3 beta 2, but who knows if anybody reads those things.

• @ahallam said:
    It’s still not fixed in the 14.3 release.

Yep 😢

There’s another thread about the issue
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39567/auv3-not-appearing-in-aum

Better submit a bug report to Apple and hopefully with enough traction they’ll get this thorn removed soon.

• edited December 2020

• This is ridiculous already i can’t work like this constant restarts i have 2018 iPad Pro experiencing this as well still how can anyone even use GarageBand it does the same in all the daws, AUM, Cubase 3, BeatMaker 3, and nanostudio. Is it just happening for the pro devices?

• godgod
    edited December 2020

@djsun1 said:
    This is ridiculous already i can’t work like this constant restarts i have 2018 iPad Pro experiencing this as well still how can anyone even use GarageBand it does the same in all the daws, AUM, Cubase 3, BeatMaker 3, and nanostudio. Is it just happening for the pro devices?

Nope, it happens to me on the iPhone 8 Plus.
    I think it actually happens more on older devices.

Edit: you can help get Apple’s attention by reporting this bug. The more people report about this the higher the chance Apple will fixe this already.

• @djsun1 said:
    This is ridiculous already i can’t work like this constant restarts i have 2018 iPad Pro experiencing this as well still how can anyone even use GarageBand it does the same in all the daws, AUM, Cubase 3, BeatMaker 3, and nanostudio. Is it just happening for the pro devices?

I have the ipad pro 11 ( 2018 ) and do not have this issue

• I have the 2020 12.9 inch Pro and haven't had this problem...

• Pro 11” 2018 and pro 10.5 no issues.

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I will check Drambo, i did report this to apple but they gave me the runaround and said I needed to contact another department and they would not forward the issue which really pissed me off! Anyone have a link?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2020

@Max23 said:
    Drambo doesn't have this problem :)
    works very well, no missing AU icons ...
    who knows what everything else does cough
    I dont care :)

Unfortunately, it also happened to me in Drambo (iPadOS14.2, iPad 5)

• @Max23 said:

@dmnc said:

@Max23 said:
    Drambo doesn't have this problem :)
    works very well, no missing AU icons ...
    who knows what everything else does cough
    I dont care :)

Unfortunately, it also happened to me in Drambo (iPadOS14.2, iPad 5)

can you repeat this?

It happened to me twice in Drambo. Unfortunately, I don't remember under what circumstances. It also happened in AUM. But all in all it was very rare and I use both apps every day. I'll try to reproduce it, but I have the feeling that it happened very randomly.

• @Model10000 said:
    @Orafu I wonder how many others this is happening with a 10.5 2017 iPad Pro? Here as well. Requesting the iaa list isn’t even working in AUM to bring AUV3 back. As useless as it may seem, I’d send feedback to Apple.

That hack-around is for another bug: missing AUv3 icons. That is, the AUv3's are listed as they should, but all are missing their icons. For that, retrieving the icon for an IAA app first kick-starts the system and brings back the AUv3 icons.

I have not found any hack-around for when the system thinks there are no installed AUv3's at all, other than rebooting. Weird thing is that it seems to affect only some users. I have never seen it happen on any of my devices running iOS 14. I can even install an AUv3 while the node list is open in AUM and see it pop up, just as was my intention when writing the code :)

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @j_liljedahl That’s what I was thinking, but was ready to try everything including juggling my iPad and casting spell on it to get that weird ghost bug to go away. It’s systemwide, not just AUM and if it’s any consolation, I’ve only had it happen once in the AUM pre-release beta and iOS 14.3. Before it was happening multiple times a day. Bought some of your AUV3 effects and it’s made me appreciate sliders on a touch screen more. Thanks for the update

• edited December 2020

@j_liljedahl said:

@Model10000 said:
    @Orafu I wonder how many others this is happening with a 10.5 2017 iPad Pro? Here as well. Requesting the iaa list isn’t even working in AUM to bring AUV3 back. As useless as it may seem, I’d send feedback to Apple.

That hack-around is for another bug: missing AUv3 icons. That is, the AUv3's are listed as they should, but all are missing their icons. For that, retrieving the icon for an IAA app first kick-starts the system and brings back the AUv3 icons.

I have not found any hack-around for when the system thinks there are no installed AUv3's at all, other than rebooting. Weird thing is that it seems to affect only some users. I have never seen it happen on any of my devices running iOS 14. I can even install an AUv3 while the node list is open in AUM and see it pop up, just as was my intention when writing the code :)

I have never been able to reproduce the issue with any certainty, it’s more a case of “Crap!” and a reboot when it crops up. I have not yet experienced it with the beta of 14.4 however, so fingers crossed it’s been addressed.

Edit: I spoke too soon, being unable to see AUv3 apps in either Cubasis or AUM this morning.

• @ahallam said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Model10000 said:

I have never been able to reproduce the issue with any certainty, it’s more a case of “Crap!” and a reboot when it crops up. I have not yet experienced it with the beta of 14.4 however, so fingers crossed it’s been addressed.

Ooh there is hope, then. Perhaps Apple has quietly fixed this. I so hope they did because this bug is hella annoying and, yeah, for as much as I’m trying to, I just can’t reliably reproduce it. So many reboots.. sigh 😭

• I'm wondering if this has something to do with an AU crashing and invalidating the AU cache. I actually wrote an AU with a "crash" button to test this, but haven't been able to get it to cause the the disappearing AU's to happen yet. Maybe I'm crashing it wrong. So, anyone see anything that might make them suspect crashing AU's to be involved?

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I'm wondering if this has something to do with an AU crashing and invalidating the AU cache. I actually wrote an AU with a "crash" button to test this, but haven't been able to get it to cause the the disappearing AU's to happen yet. Maybe I'm crashing it wrong. So, anyone see anything that might make them suspect crashing AU's to be involved?

Interesting idea. But I doubt there would be a connection between runtime behaviour of a plugin and the system AUv3 registry. More likely that there's something in the metadata (Info.plist) of the installed plugins that triggers the bug.