Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for tutorial/video on Lumbeat & Ableton connection

Hey all, just trying to use Lumbeat apps with Ableton Suite and having trouble googling and YouTubing a tutorial.

I have Ableton link on in funk drummer (but I have all but jazz, in case one isn't compatible), and I tell it to send midi notes out, however, Ableton isn't seeing the midi out. I've tried turning the midi out off and on and restarting, and regardless of routing Ableton doesn't see the signal in from the lumbeat app.

I know I can send midi out because I can do so through KB-1 and that works fine. So I'm thinking I have some additional settings to change or some of that midi learning function (that I've never done with any app)?

If anyone uses Lumbeat apps in Ableton and could point me in the direction of a tutorial I'd be grateful. I didn't see anything on the lumbeat site (granted I can search deeper), and like I said youtube was a nogo.

I'd like to be able to record the midi out to a drum track.

Thanks,

RM

Comments

• edited December 2020

You have to make the Midi connection in the Lumbeat app.
    Hopefully you can see an Abelton midi port in the midi output choices in the Lumbeat app.
    If so, select it, turn on send notes, and give it a try.

The problem is that the Lumbeat virtual midi ports don’t seem to work. If you select it in Abelton, no midi is received by Abelton.
    Also, if you are trying to use use the Lumbeat app as a sound module, and you try to send to the Lumbeat virtual midi in, it doesn’t receive the midi and nothing plays.

So for your case, just avoid any midi ports named Funk Drummer, and it should work.

• @CracklePot said:
    You have to make the Midi connection in the Lumbeat app.
    Hopefully you can see an Abelton midi port in the midi output choices in the Lumbeat app.
    If so, select it, turn on send notes, and give it a try.

The problem is that the Lumbeat virtual midi ports don’t seem to work. If you select it in Abelton, no midi is received by Abelton.
    Also, if you are trying to use use the Lumbeat app as a sound module, and you try to send to the Lumbeat virtual midi in, it doesn’t receive the midi and nothing plays.

So for your case, just avoid any midi ports named Funk Drummer, and it should work.

I often find that Audiobus is needed as a middle man to get MIDI into LUMBeats apps since the LUMBeat virtual ports don't work and some apps don't let you choose their own output ports. For example to get MIDI from AUM to Lumbeats apps, you have to send to Audiobus, route that to the audiobus virtual midi port and then have the Lumbeats app lisen to Audiobus.

@LuisMartinez has said that he will address it. I hope so.

• @CracklePot @espiegel123 Thanks to both of you, I’ll double check as soon as I get back to my desk at least that gives me some other things to try. Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Managed to get midi into ableton by turning OFF ableton link, LOL. And then just choosing the midi port properly across the board for midi in, out, time in, and time out. Even managed to be able to start and stop it through ableton that way.

So I think my biggest mistake was having ableton link on when using it with ableton. hahaha

This was all in standalone mode, btw. I still haven’t gotten to the audiobus testing.

Thanks again gents!

• Good to hear it is working for you.
    😊