Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IPAD PRO 12.9 DSP % INSIDE AUM USING DIFFERENT SETUP

Hello guys,

I just made some tests since lately I noticed some strange thing happens with DSP inside AUM using an iPad Pro 12.9 2020 1tb (700gb free) on iOS 13.7.

Here is my result using the same configuration inside AUM running 1 auv3 synth (Moog model 15), 1 IAA app (Groovebox) with both 2 effects (kymatica reverb and BLEASS filter) and 2 midi effects in the last lane (fugue machine and midi LFO).

1. IPad speaker 48hz, 512 ms latency dsp 27%
  2. IPad with usb c to jack original Apple adapter, 48hz, 512 ms, dsp 36%
  3. IPad with external audio card (Scarlett), usb c adapter Kingston nucleum, 44.1hz, 512 ms, 40% Dsp
  4. Same as third but with external Yeti mic attached dsp 45%
  5. IPad with third party usb c adaptor with headphone jack (EUASOO), 48hz, 512 ms, dsp 31%.

Do you know why this happens?

Why using external audio card or usb c to jack adapter saturated so fast iPad dsp?

Thanks for all the answers❤️

Comments

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Hello guys,

I just made some tests since lately I noticed some strange thing happens with DSP inside AUM using an iPad Pro 12.9 2020 1tb (700gb free) on iOS 13.7.

Here is my result using the same configuration inside AUM running 1 auv3 synth (Moog model 15), 1 IAA app (Groovebox) with both 2 effects (kymatica reverb and BLEASS filter) and 2 midi effects in the last lane (fugue machine and midi LFO).

3. IPad with external audio card (Scarlett), usb c adapter Kingston nucleum, 44.1hz, 512 ms, 40% Dsp
    5. IPad with third party usb c adaptor with headphone jack (EUASOO), 48hz, 512 ms, dsp 31%.

Why using external audio card or usb c to jack adapter saturated so fast iPad dsp?

Those CPU numbers are meaningless. Because of the way that CPU throttling works, CPU numbers pretty much are only really meaningful when you are approaching 100%. See: https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing&s[]=cpu

• @espiegel123 said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    Hello guys,

Those CPU numbers are meaningless. Because of the way that CPU throttling works, CPU numbers pretty much are only really meaningful when you are approaching 100%. See: https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing&s[]=cpu

Thanks for the link👌

• edited December 2020

@Charlesalbert said:
    Hello guys,

Yep the CPU meter in AUM is relative to the current clock speed of the processor, as determined by iOS. The constant throttling of the CPU by iOS makes it difficult to relate AUM CPU meter to the maximum processing power of the iPad. The previous answers and links have answered fully enough but just to add support to that.

Just one additional thought to add… I have found in AUM sets with a large number of plug-ins, and therefore a higher processing demand, the CPU usage is often more stable. If my theory is correct then in this kind of situation the AUM CPU meter might more accurately reflect the current percentage of maximum processing power which EUM is using, especially if known CPU heavy plugins are used.

Sometimes if I get CPU spikes in a set with a few plug-ins, I will add a few other plug-ins In an attempt to even out the CPU demand, both to deal with the CPU spikes By keeping the processor running at a higher clock speed , and also to estimate the true CPU usage, but this is just a theory and I would love to know if it actually has any basis in fact.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

There are many dozens of non related background processes that can be active at any one time on iOS. These will mess with any CPU meansurements as well. You would be amazed at all the background stuff that can and does kick in periodically. Combine this with all the factors already mentioned affecting CPU throttling.

Comparing CPU numbers at such this level of detail on iOS is futile.

• edited December 2020

Tried an AUM session with:

Frms by Imaginando
    SKIID
    DrumComputer
    IK multimedia Hammond
    Minimoog model D
    Continua

And some effects in each lanes.

With Jack adapter crash and 105 dsp, removing it and all is working at 87%.

Maybe this thing is not rilevante but when you attached something to the usb c port you have less room for auv3 instruments.

Remember Watching some videos from @Intrepolicious with dozens of synths and no dsp over 60%.

Maybe IPad Pro 12.9 is not good for music at all and there are better (and cheapest) alternatives?

• I have found using zeeon inside aum with just my edirol pcr800 keyboard connected i have no dsp issues and i can add 3 or 4 different effects and dsp only runnung at 30-40%.

As soon as i connect the pcr800 theough my 3rd gen focusrite scarlett 18i8 i get horrendous dsp spikes! And thats without adding any effwcts. Totally bizzare.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Tried an AUM session with:

Frms by Imaginando
    SKIID
    DrumComputer
    IK multimedia Hammond
    Minimoog model D
    Continua

And some effects in each lanes.

With Jack adapter crash and 105 dsp, removing it and all is working at 87%.

Maybe this thing is not rilevante but when you attached something to the usb c port you have less room for auv3 instruments.

Remember Watching some videos from @Intrepolicious with dozens of synths and no dsp over 60%.

Maybe IPad Pro 12.9 is not good for music at all and there are better (and cheapest) alternatives?

If someone was running dozens of synths, you need to know which ones. Some synths use much less CPU than others. Also, the buffer size makes a huge difference. Both Minimoog and FRMS can use a fair amount of CPU. They sound great, but you won’t be running dozens of them at once. But if you bump your buffer up, you will get more instances than you are now.

• edited December 2020

for comparing CPU oerformance it is good to use just few plugins wih huge cpu load - iťs much better than use many many different plugins with small CPU demand.. with many plugins you are not sure if some istance isn't broken or stuff like that.. with just few CPU-hog plugins you have lot more predictable / controllable test enviroment..

saying that, best APP for testing CPU performance, relative to other models (ort also for comparing different host apps on same device) is MODEL D. It has consistent stable CPU requirements no matter which patch and no matter if it is really playing some sound or not. It has no CPU load peaks or drops, it's very very stable (which is not the case with most of plugins, which is result of their CPU optimalisation - Model D is very bad CPU optimalised, which is ironically good thing for such test case)

So just keep loading Model D instances with default patch until you reach around 80-90% of CPU (on A12, A12x, A13, A13x it should be 6 instances, on A14 probably 7, maybe 8).

• @dendy said:
    for comparing CPU oerformance it is good to use just few plugins wih huge cpu load - iťs much better than use many many different plugins with small CPU demand.. with many plugins you are not sure if some istance isn't broken or stuff like that.. with just few CPU-hog plugins you have lot more predictable / controllable test enviroment..

saying that, best APP for testing CPU performance, relative to other models (ort also for comparing different host apps on same device) is MODEL D. It has consistent stable CPU requirements no matter which patch and no matter if it is really playing some sound or not. It has no CPU load peaks or drops, it's very very stable (which is not the case with most of plugins, which is result of their CPU optimalisation - Model D is very bad CPU optimalised, which is ironically good thing for such test case)

So just keep loading Model D instances with default patch until you reach around 80-90% of CPU (on A12, A12x, A13, A13x it should be 6 instances, on A14 probably 7, maybe 8).

I will try this as soon as I’ll return home and I will report you back.

Thanks for the tips.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@dendy said:

I will try this as soon as I’ll return home and I will report you back.

Thanks for the tips.

Ok i can confirm 7 instances here✌️

• At 44.1 Hz, you should be able to run thousands of instances, but you'd need very big speakers to actually hear anything 😉

• edited December 2020

@SevenSystems said:
    At 44.1 Hz, you should be able to run thousands of instances, but you'd need very big speakers to actually hear anything 😉

😂😂😂 sorry I wanted to write 44100Hz😂😂😂

Im using an iPad Pro 11” (2018), so it’s not your iPad. I’m planning on upgrading to the newest 12.9 soon.

There’s no real magic sauce, just a matter of which plug-ins you’ll use. You sort of have to experiment and see. Most of the time, for any particular sound, there’s always a lighter weight plugin that will do the job if you’re running low on cpu.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@SevenSystems said:
    At 44.1 Hz, you should be able to run thousands of instances, but you'd need very big speakers to actually hear anything 😉

😂😂😂 sorry I wanted to write 44100Hz😂😂😂

😄 no worries... sorry for the snarky smartass joke 😉