Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an Auv3 Midi Envelope Generator?

Does anything exist that can generate midi CC envelopes from a note trigger for AUM?

Comments

• edited November 2020

FAC Envolver can - I'm assuming it's an audible note not a MIDI note

• @mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver can

Thanks! Will check it out. Just occurred to me that Mozaic might do it? I'm not familiar with it though.

• edited November 2020

Drambo is the right tool for the job.
    You can easily adjust the CC number to be sent, use different envelope generators (a graphic one with free ENV shape drawing is included too) and even filter by notes if you only eant certain notes to trigger the envelope, or if you want different notes to trigger different envelopes.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Spud said:

@mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver can

Thanks! Will check it out. Just occurred to me that Mozaic might do it? I'm not familiar with it though.

https://patchstorage.com/midi-adsr/. No deep knowledge of Mozaic needed, just load the sepcript and send it notes.

This one is useful too: https://patchstorage.com/blueboard-switch-ramper/. Even though it was designed as a Blueboard helper, it doesn’t have to be used with one. Anything that sends notes can trigger it.

I haven’t tried this one, but it looks lik it could be good.

• @wim said:

@Spud said:

@mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver can

https://patchstorage.com/midi-adsr/. No deep knowledge of Mozaic needed, just load the sepcript and send it notes.

This one is useful too: https://patchstorage.com/blueboard-switch-ramper/. Even though it was designed as a Blueboard helper, it doesn’t have to be used with one. Anything that sends notes can trigger it.

Perfect - thanks so much wim :smile:

• @Spud said:

@wim said:

@Spud said:

@mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver can

Perfect - thanks so much wim :smile:

oops. I forgot the link in the last sentence there...

I haven't tried this one, but it looks like it could be good: https://patchstorage.com/envelope/

• edited November 2020

miRack can also be used as a midi fx, and you also have lots of options from traditional ADSRs to Rise/Fall functional generators.

• edited December 2020

@wim Should the midi-adsr script be using a lot of CPU? On my Air2 it spikes the cpu from 35% to 85% on triggering and occasionally causes a massive DSP overload crash. Same behavior even with no output patched. I know it's an old iPad, but not sure if it's normal for this to use so much CPU. Cheers :-)

• @Spud said:
    @wim Should the midi-adsr script be using a lot of CPU? On my Air2 it spikes the cpu from 35% to 85% on triggering and occasionally causes a massive DSP overload crash. Same behavior even with no output patched. I know it's an old iPad, but not sure if it's normal for this to use so much CPU. Cheers :-)

It may be trying to send MIDI messages continuously, even when not necessary, like during Sustain. Try running it into a MIDI monitor, like the free MIDI Wrench, to see what it's sending. And see if there's a control to set the update rate.

• @auxmux said:
    miRack can also be used as a midi fx, and you also have lots of options from traditional ADSRs to Rise/Fall functional generators.

X2

• edited December 2020

@uncledave said:
    It may be trying to send MIDI messages continuously, even when not necessary, like during Sustain. Try running it into a MIDI monitor, like the free MIDI Wrench, to see what it's sending. And see if there's a control to set the update rate.

Thanks, I had a look in midiwrench and it is sending plenty of midi, even when not triggered, but I can send more using say Rozetta LFO x3 and the CPU usage isn't really affected. Looks like something else is going on. Any ideas @brambos ?

• If you have iVCS3 or Model-15, I believe you can use the envelopes by running them in AU effect slots.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@Spud said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks, I had a look in midiwrench and it is sending plenty of midi, even when not triggered, but I can send more using say Rozetta LFO x3 and the CPU usage isn't really affected. Looks like something else is going on. Any ideas @brambos ?

I'll check it out, but I never noticed high CPU usage. My first thought was that maybe you have a midi loop? That seems somewhat likely by your comment that it sends midi even when not triggered. That can't happen as far as I know.

What are you sending midi from and to?

• @wim said:

@Spud said:

@uncledave said:

I'll check it out, but I never noticed high CPU usage. My first thought was that maybe you have a midi loop? That seems somewhat likely by your comment that it sends midi even when not triggered. That can't happen as far as I know.

yeh, I'm pretty sure you have to have a loop happening somewhere. The app doesn't send anything when not being triggered. It causes only 2% - 3% additional CPU load when triggered on my iPad Air 2 on iOS 13.7.

It's possible that the CPU spike is coming from the app you're sending to also. But it sounds to me more like a midi loop.

If you provide more details about your setup and routing, I may be able to look into it further.

Lastly, at the very top of the script is a parameter for how often the messages are sent. You could try increasing this value, but then you may get steppy response in the app you're controlling.

• @wim said:

@wim I've just set it up as the only thing running in AUM, and it spikes the CPU to 100% when triggered from the AUM keyboard then drops away - the spike is only while midi notes are being received by Moziac. Same behaviour when sent midi from external keyboard. No midi loops as far as I can see. It continues to send a midi value of 0 for about 15sec after ending the release phase. Thanks for the help!

• @Spud said:

@wim said:

@wim I've just set it up as the only thing running in AUM, and it spikes the CPU to 100% when triggered from the AUM keyboard then drops away - the spike is only while midi notes are being received by Moziac. Same behaviour when sent midi from external keyboard. No midi loops as far as I can see. It continues to send a midi value of 0 for about 15sec after ending the release phase. Thanks for the help!

Have you tried my suggestion?

• @rs2000 said:

Have you tried my suggestion?

Not yet, I'm hoping Moziac will work out. But thankyou, the suggestion is appreciated and I'll check it out if this doesn't work :-)

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@Spud said:

@wim said:

Ok, well I can’t reproduce it, so I can’t fix it. Maybe it’s iOS version related. Are you on iOS 14? I assume you’ve tried rebooting your device?

Sorry, but I’m not updating to try it out. ;)

• edited December 2020

@wim said:

@Spud said:

@wim said:

Ok, well I can’t reproduce it, so I can’t fix it. Maybe it’s iOS version related. Are you on iOS 14? I assume you’ve tried rebooting your device?

Haha, me neither 😅

Just curious: Given that mozaic is not really optimized for performance, are you limiting the rate of CC value calculation and sending in any way?
    I mean, 20..30 values per second should usually give a smooth enough modulation.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@Spud said:

@wim said:

Haha, me neither 😅

Just curious: Given that mozaic is not really optimized for performance, are you limiting the rate of CC value calculation
    and sending in any way?

By default the script sends a value every 10ms when active. That can be changed as noted above.

What makes you claim Mozaic isn’t optimized for performance?? IMO it is amazingly well optimized. I can’t believe some of what I’ve gotten away with in one of my experimental scripts.

• @wim because I remember high CPU load with some mozaic scripts as well.
    If your experience is different, I might have to investigate why that is...

• @rs2000 said:
    @wim because I remember high CPU load with some mozaic scripts as well.
    If your experience is different, I might have to investigate why that is...

Not all scripts are well coded. I know that for a fact as many of those are mine. :D

• @wim said:

>

@wim No problem, thanks for trying!

What I discovered was that the problem goes away if I show the code and hit upload without any changes. Really odd. Latest iOS and have rebooted.

• Now that's a weird one! 🤔

• I had a very quick look. Perhaps you should increase the timer interval in the script on slower devices. I think the script sets it to 20, but you could try setting it to 40 or 50 on older iPads and see if that solves the high CPU.

• @brambos check the AUM CPU meter in the video!

• edited December 2020

Just tried the same thing on my own iPad Air 2, iOS 14.2, and the CPU doesn’t go over 20%. So I can’t reproduce the issue (could screen capture be adding to the CPU load too?).

The Air 2 has reached a respectable age by now and CPU throttling on iOS means CPU loads are more like arcane magic than exact science until you see them redlining over 100% :)

• @brambos said:
    Just tried the same thing on my own iPad Air 2, iOS 14.2, and the CPU doesn’t go over 20%. So I can’t reproduce the issue (could screen capture be adding to the CPU load too?).

The Air 2 has reached a respectable age by now and CPU throttling on iOS means CPU loads are more like arcane magic than exact science until you see them redlining over 100% :)

What about the drastic CPU drop after hitting "upload" again? Any idea?

• @rs2000 said:

@brambos said:

What about the drastic CPU drop after hitting "upload" again? Any idea?

Upload resets everything, such as stopping any running timers.