Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why do human beings like listening to music?

edited December 2020 in General App Discussion

I have my own ideas and I'm sure there is scientific research that sheds some light on it. It's something that intrigues me though. What are your thoughts? Personally I feel I connect with music on a very deep emotional level which may be the same for everyone. E.g. tears for a beautiful vocal performance, tingles from a beautiful guitar sound/solo.

Comments

• what is your definition of music? Sounds? Arranged sounds?

• edited December 2020

I can travel backwards in time.
    I can listen to the Universe of our Now.
    I can see the potential Worlds of our futures.

Music is all.

• universe oscillates in C#

• Interpret music as you wish. Although I suppose the question could be extended to why do some sound get interpreted as enjoyable. Like listening to rain?

Although mainly I was thinking about it more from the point of view of, when you listen to what you think of as music, do you find it enjoyable. Not, I like mad guitar solos. Deeper than that.

• edited December 2020

For example:

While the human brain is hardwired to feel pleasure for basic survival necessities, such as eating and sex, music—although obviously pleasurable—doesn’t offer the same evolutionary advantages. So why do we respond to patterns of sounds that disappear in an instant? Why do we belt music from the top of our lungs, learn to play instruments, and empty our back accounts to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway?

https://www.dana.org/article/why-do-we-love-music/

• It's complicated.
    Great read (IMO) that speaks to questions like this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Your_Brain_on_Music

• It's interesting that the neuroscientist I linked to above suggests that different scientific disciplines will have different answers.

• @Ailerom said:
    E.g. tears for a beautiful vocal performance, tingles from a beautiful guitar sound/solo.

Same. I listen to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Amstrong singing “The nearness of you” with headphones and then begin to appear tears in my eyes and feel goosebumps, the same with any song from Donny Hathaway for example, EVEN without understanding the lyrics, I am Spanish and I can vaguely understand it while singing.

This is not related to sentimental things, is just sensorial.

• Cool, and yet the neuroscientist attributes the connection to a cognitive prediction and result concept. As he said, different disciplines will have different answers which is what I find interesting. Like you said, to me it seems like an emotional, and to an extent physical connection at a subliminal level beyond thought. Like an instinct. But for what purpose?

• @ecamburn said:
    It's complicated.
    Great read (IMO) that speaks to questions like this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Your_Brain_on_Music

Came here to say this.

• Great question! Everyone will have a different answer and rightly so. That’s why music is abundantly present and always evolving throughout all cultures around our planet. I’ve read somewhere that music resides on another plane based on frequencies and harmonics. Humans can tap into this easily because of our emotions. We like to mix emotions and music all together. And that’s a good thing.

• @Bob And so many emotional uses. Like when people walk into a club and they start to move and light up to the music, to listening to something relaxing after a long day, to remember someone at a funeral, in indigenous communities to induce a trance like frenzy. Amazing stuff to me.

• It focuses us on the now. The ultimate meditation hack.

• edited December 2020

Can't answer your question but I think the answer goes way back to our beginnings. Music can have a huge effect on me, physical and all, goosebumps and tears being amongst them.
    I was recently pondering how aliens would look upon us, all fiddling around on tiny screens, thumbing away to produce screeching noises that to them might not be musical at all.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    It focuses us on the now. The ultimate meditation hack.

Definitely. But IMO not just the now. It takes me anywhere in time and space. Brings back memories of what I was doing when I first heard an album etc.

• Dancing is weird too, somehow hearing certain sounds makes your body move in synchronization in all kinds of different ways.

• edited December 2020

Human being have been created to worship and praise God. With the use of music. Therefore we have such a strong and distinct link with Music. It just connects naturally to our spirit and has a very important role in our existence. In today's world - very much misused.
    Lucifer, the beaing God have created, was responsible for conducting choirs in Heaven. Directing the worship. Because of the power God has given him, pride rose in Lucifer and he started to believe he is above God and decided to abolish Him. But that was a big mistake and God kicked him out of Heaven and separated him from love and other high things God is the source of. So Lucifer has become satan (adversary) and in revenge is trying to destroy God's creation here on Earth. Music and also recently TV are very powerful tools to affect human's will emotions and thinking. Just looks what's going on in mass media, what is being promoted. The world is becoming more and more corrupt and we are in time of intense spiritual warfare. As influence of darkness increase, also presence of God rises.
    I can confirm all of theses because God Thank You Jesus) has saved me from the hands of the devil. And I wish everyone who thinks there is something very wrong with our world today, to also find God or to allow God to find you.

• @Ailerom said:
    Cool, and yet the neuroscientist attributes the connection to a cognitive prediction and result concept. As he said, different disciplines will have different answers which is what I find interesting. Like you said, to me it seems like an emotional, and to an extent physical connection at a subliminal level beyond thought. Like an instinct. But for what purpose?

Video of playing of a reconstruction of the 55,000 year old "Divje Babe Flute".
    Discovered in 1995 by archeologists in near Cerkno in northwestern Slovenia.
    Believed to have been made by either Neanderthal or Cro-Magnons.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divje_Babe_Flute

Personal opinion:

Evidence such as this may indicate that the development and use of music by ancient hominid populations, could be linked with the evolution of intelligence, and language development of early hominid species.

One might imagine that language development may have begun as a combination of vocalizations, and patterns of oral clicks (now known as Click consonants), use of hand claps, or use of tools to create percussive sounds.

"Whistled languages" are still in use today. They are most used to communicate over long distances. "Whistled languages" might be a remnant of past language development of early hominid species. The use of "Whistled languages" among groups of hunters may have been a useful form of communication resembling bird calls, and as such not as likely to alarm prey animals being hunted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistled_language

Time Media, youtube video about the "Silbo Gomero" Whistled language still in use in the Canary Islands.

• edited December 2020

@israelite said:
    Human being have been created to worship and praise God. With the use of music. Therefore we have such a strong and distinct link with Music. It just connects naturally to our spirit and has a very important role in our existence. In today's world - very much misused.
    Lucifer, the beaing God have created, was responsible for conducting choirs in Heaven. Directing the worship. Because of the power God has given him, pride rose in Lucifer and he started to believe he is above God and decided to abolish Him. But that was a big mistake and God kicked him out of Heaven and separated him from love and other high things God is the source of. So Lucifer has become satan (adversary) and in revenge is trying to destroy God's creation here on Earth. Music and also recently TV are very powerful tools to affect human's will emotions and thinking. Just looks what's going on in mass media, what is being promoted. The world is becoming more and more corrupt and we are in time of intense spiritual warfare. As influence of darkness increase, also presence of God rises.
    I can confirm all of theses because God Thank You Jesus) has saved me from the hands of the devil. And I wish everyone who thinks there is something very wrong with our world today, to also find God or to allow God to find you.

I reckon something like, God did it would suffice. The preachy stuff is really irrelevant to the topic. Personally I disagree with everything you said and I am as certain that the above is false as you are that it is true. Handy that you have an easy to comprehend idea about what makes you tick though, and I am happy to respect your different point of view.

• Indeed.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."

Frank Zappa
    RIP. Left us to early this day 27 years ago.

• The times reported the universe vibrates at Bb. Very bluesy. Strange that the universe isn’t into microtonal. Kind of hemispherocentric, don’t you think.

It’s the vibes, man.
    And the birdies
    It’s the heartbeat
    Not the wordies.

• I don’t know dude, but I sure do like it.

• @LinearLineman said:
    The times reported the universe vibrates at Bb. Very bluesy. Strange that the universe isn’t into microtonal. Kind of hemispherocentric, don’t you think.

That is crazy. Or is it that we created music around the natural tones of the universe, hence why it vibrates at the same frequency as a component of our system.

• Sometimes I wonder if those who are fluent in “Whistled languages” hear lyrics when a TB-303 self-oscillates.

• @jolico and click languages hear lyrics from an 808?

• @Ailerom said:
    @jolico and click languages hear lyrics from an 808?

Only the curse words.

• Those motherclickers!

• edited December 2020

@Ailerom said:
    For example:

While the human brain is hardwired to feel pleasure for basic survival necessities, such as eating and sex, music—although obviously pleasurable—doesn’t offer the same evolutionary advantages. So why do we respond to patterns of sounds that disappear in an instant? Why do we belt music from the top of our lungs, learn to play instruments, and empty our back accounts to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway?

https://www.dana.org/article/why-do-we-love-music/

Great article !! It's aso amazing example how world as is, and especiall our brain, is amazing exciting and interesting even without esoteric or religious nonsenses. There is eternal beauty in science.

This part is in my opinion totally crucial (ecen through whole topic is complex, it's worth to read whole article above)

An advantage of neuroscience is that we can relate our answer to established empirical findings and draw from two especially relevant domains: the neuroscience of auditory perception and of the reward system. To give away the punch line of my article, I believe that music derives its power from an interaction between these two systems, the first of which allows us to analyze sound patterns and make predictions about them, and the second of which evaluates the outcomes of these predictions and generates positive (or negative) emotions depending on whether the expectation was met, not met, or exceeded.