Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Where to place our shiny new compressor/equalizers in the signal chain?

Like dozens of forum members I purchased Magic Death Eye, 6144, and a couple of others in the past days. Now comes the hard part: signal-chain positioning. As a guitarist (primarily) I would have placed the compressor and EQ before the amp — but these aren't didly little stomp boxes.

So, are these new toys fine there, or should they be relocated to a different signal-chain address (or should the EQ be placed before the compressor?)

Also interest in the same for keyboards/synths...

Comments

• @SNystrom said:
    Like dozens of forum members I purchased Magic Death Eye, 6144, and a couple of others in the past days. Now comes the hard part: signal-chain positioning. As a guitarist (primarily) I would have placed the compressor and EQ before the amp — but these aren't didly little stomp boxes.

It not hard with MDE(S). Anywhere you put it you'll get extra Tube Harmonics and it will make a electronic tone shape sound more analog. It adds mids and a touch of air/room.

It's a lot more computationally complex than the stomp box FX so it needs to be added once somewhere in a complex DAW set up... maybe twice. You're audio out will tell you because you'll start to get audio drop outs that tell you to back off on the FX use.

I find MDE in MDES adds even more tube-y goodness but I rarely ever get the older product out since it's not a lot less computationally intense and the MDES adds extra EQ knobs and the ability to use it with side-chain inputs in a DAW that supports that.

The "Stereo" in the name refers the to real hardware it models:
    Magic Death Eye was a mono hard unit. The AUv3 implements it as a pair of these.
    Magic Death Eye Stereo is a new hardware until for stereo inputs.

Both AUv3's process stereo signals. This is NOT like the PSA 1000 and PSA 1000 Jr case.

• @SNystrom Which version of MDE did you pick up? Asking because I’m mainly tracking.. guitar (electric + acoustic), bass, drums.. and still on the fence as to which would suit me better.. 🤷‍♂️

leaning toward the original.. never have anything finished enough to need a master buss version.. 🤣

• @royor said:
    @SNystrom Which version of MDE did you pick up? Asking because I’m mainly tracking.. guitar (electric + acoustic), bass, drums.. and still on the fence as to which would suit me better.. 🤷‍♂️

leaning toward the original.. never have anything finished enough to need a master buss version.. 🤣

The current delta of $4 would make me get the Stereo for the extra EQ controls and side-chaining. When did a guitar player ever NOT need tone controls on a stomp FX box?

• @royor said:
    @SNystrom Which version of MDE did you pick up? Asking because I’m mainly tracking.. guitar (electric + acoustic), bass, drums.. and still on the fence as to which would suit me better.. 🤷‍♂️

I purchased the stereo. I read somewhere here you can use it in mono mode as well.

Plus a just thought a stereo Death Eye must be twice as powerful as a mono Death Eye! 🙃

• Posted this on the Death Eye thread but thought I actually should have posted it here:

Around 22:00 Rick talks about whether to place compression before or after EQ...

• I generally don't eq pre amp. I use the amp as main eq and then eq post cab. Although in general I'm not a fan of eq before dynamics on anything.

• I'm a big fan of Rick Beato!

@SNystrom said:
    Posted this on the Death Eye thread but thought I actually should have posted it here:

Around 22:00 Rick talks about whether to place compression before or after EQ...

• I don't think of the MDE(S) as compressors. They are tone enhancers for my purposes. The compression feature is just a nice extra. But that sonic footprint is gold. Most prefer a transparent compressor for the uses outlined in this video. It's like a 1968 Fender Twin Reverb amp. There are a million amps but that tone is why collectors by the old Fender.
    If Fender is not your thing use Vox, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, EVH, or any other tone based
    hardware unit.

• Yeah, @McD I'm guessing MDE will end-up working for me exactly as you say. Typically in the past I have used cheap stomp box compressors to add sustain to my guitar ala Santana, Gary Moore and others.

Stomp boxes are a heavy club. I'm thinking Death Eye is a subtle pinch of finishing spice.

• MDE's are like the Voodoo Labs "Sparkle" pedal to add color/depth. Not strictly a compressor but it is one. All the DDMF hardware targets were chosen for epic coloring, I think.

• I’ve read a little on the difference between putting EQ or compression first. If you’re using a transparent compressor, order shouldn’t matter much. If you’re using something that’s adding some color, it depends how much you want that color to shine. If you want the full effect of the compressor, leave it at the end.