Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Compressor Shootout Poll

If you had to choose one simple go-to compressor, what would it be?
(I originally had a poll attached, but there are too many compressors on iOS to list!)

Comments

• ToneBoosters is pretty solid. It’s still more complex than I understand but it has quite a lot going on.

• Among the contenders:

• TB Compressor
    • 4Pockets Visual Multi-Band Compressor
    • FabFilter Pro-C2
    • FabFilter Pro MB Multiband Compressor
    • DDMF New York Compressor
    • Klevgrand Pressit Multiband Compressor
    • Klevgrand Korvpressor
    • Audio Damage Rough Rider 3
    • Bleass Compressor
    • Woodpressor
    • Mani Consulting Mix Bus Compressor
    • Cornflower Compressor
    • Comp 609
    • Nembrini Analog Rack Compressor

• @DukeWonder said:
    ToneBoosters is pretty solid. It’s still more complex than I understand but it has quite a lot going on.

+1 TB Compressor for advanced

MagicDeathEye for simple go-to that sounds great.

• I use MB for different uses than a straight compressor. FF-C2, full feature set, transparent, and I use it on the computer all the time so I’m at home with the interface. Love TB as an alternative on iOS.

• Other than CompressorFX and Woodpressor, do any of these other compressors support external sidechain that can work in hosts other than AUM. I know a lot of them support auv3 multibus now, but unfortunately I’m not holding my breath for that to get added to Cubasis 3 😂

• edited November 2020

@jolico said:

@DukeWonder said:
    ToneBoosters is pretty solid. It’s still more complex than I understand but it has quite a lot going on.

Magic Death Eye is simple? That wasn’t my impression at all. Really intriguing. I’m inclined to go with the DDMF NY Compressor, if the quality/magic of the 6144 EQ is any guide.

• App "Mix Bus Compressor"

Developer: Mani Consulting Limited Company
    URL: https://apps.apple.com/app/mix-bus-compressor/id1467711076

Minimum OS Version: 10.2
    Universal: Yes
    Price: $5.99

DESCRIPTION:

This compressor has the lowest total harmonic distortion of any plugin we have seen, including desktop units. At the heart of it is a unique envelope follower design that makes it possible to compress the signal without creating distortion harmonics.

On the spectrum of compressor tone that ranges from "vintage analog" to "pristine digital", this plugin sits at the extreme end of low-noise digital clarity, but it is different from other low-noise digital designs because it doesn't use digital look-ahead. Therefore its response time is immediate, it adds no extra delay to the signal chain, and it works great for processing real-time performance effects.

It uses no oversampling so there is no phase distortion or loss of high-frequency energy from anti-aliasing filters. It also uses no digital-style filters (FIR filters) and no digital look-ahead, so it adds no additional latency to the signal chain. Although it is not a model of an existing piece analog hardware, every component of its signal path is realizable in the analog domain. We think of it as a digital model of our ideal analog compressor: it could exist as an analog circuit but would be very expensive to build with physical analog electronic parts.

The user interface is 100% scalable, designed specifically for iOS, so it looks beautiful at any screen size or orientation, from tiny portrait views in AUM on iPhone to the largest full-screen views on iPad Pro.

RELEASE NOTES: Version 1.0.9

Saving Custom User Presets on iOS14.0

• edited November 2020

Never mind, classic case of user-malfunction on my part regarding the side-chain in Bleass Compressor...

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@jolico said:

@DukeWonder said:

Magic Death Eye is simple? That wasn’t my impression at all. Really intriguing. I’m inclined to go with the DDMF NY Compressor, if the quality/magic of the 6144 EQ is any guide.

• 😂 I do all of this. Oh, except for the advanced 🙄

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    (I originally had a poll attached, but there are too many compressors on iOS to list!)

For a transparent compressor, the Blue Mangoo (Blue Mani) compressor can't be beat. They do a great job of limiting the parameters so that you don't spend hours making adjustments that won't have an impact. The interface is friendly. CPU-use is low.

• FF Pro C2 has the best UI IMO, it's really clear and lets you see exactly what's happening to the signal.

• I have both the Fabfilter C2+MB and the Roughrider. The only other one I am considering is Mani's Mix Bus Compressor.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

For a transparent compressor, the Blue Mangoo (Blue Mani) compressor can't be beat. They do a great job of limiting the parameters so that you don't spend hours making adjustments that won't have an impact. The interface is friendly. CPU-use is low.

Do you mean the multi-band compressor? Or the mix-bus compressor? I can’t see any reason not to get the multi-band.

• $2?!?!?! 🤣

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Do you mean the multi-band compressor? Or the mix-bus compressor? I can’t see any reason not to get the multi-band.

Multiband can also be used as a single band, so that does kind of make the other one obsolete.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

They are both excellent. Jolico is probably right that the newer MB compressor can cover both multi and nonmultiband uses. And a multi band compressor is invaluable.

• I knew that that title was familiar!

• I use Woodpressor because it has sidechain, its pretty clean.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

They are both excellent. Jolico is probably right that the newer MB compressor can cover both multi and nonmultiband uses. And a multi band compressor is invaluable.

The best explanation about the Blue Mangoo Mani Consulting Limited Multiband-Compressor:

• edited November 2020

@jolico said:

Multiband can also be used as a single band, so that does kind of make the other one obsolete.

Depends upon what tradeoffs were made between the Mix Bus and Multiband compressors in architecture, development, and actual implementation. My hypothesis would be that if you ran the Mani Multiband and Mix Buss compressors through the same shootout linked by @ExAsperis99, you'd find the Mix Bus distinctively cleaner -- by design. Maybe not. In which case, I'd expect the Multiband to consume more resources. There's no free lunch.

• @kidslow said:

@jolico said:

Depends upon what tradeoffs were made between the Mix Bus and Multiband compressors in architecture, development, and actual implementation. My hypothesis would be that if you ran the Mani Multiband and Mix Buss compressors through the same shootout linked by @ExAsperis99, you'd find the Mix Bus distinctively cleaner -- by design.

I don't think so, in single band, they should be the same - at least i seem to understand the above video in this sense.

Maybe @Blue_Mangoo could comment :)

• @tja said:

@kidslow said:

@jolico said:

Depends upon what tradeoffs were made between the Mix Bus and Multiband compressors in architecture, development, and actual implementation. My hypothesis would be that if you ran the Mani Multiband and Mix Buss compressors through the same shootout linked by @ExAsperis99, you'd find the Mix Bus distinctively cleaner -- by design.

I don't think so, in single band, they should be the same - at least i seem to understand the above video in this sense.

Just did a null test between the two with identical settings and there is a very small difference.

• tjatja
    edited November 2020

@jolico said:

@tja said:

@kidslow said:

@jolico said:

Just did a null test between the two with identical settings and there is a very small difference.

Me not.

Please note that Multiband-Compressor comes with a default of 6dB output gain, which I reduced to 0 dB like Mix-Bus Compressor.

• What test signal did you use @tja? Your two curves look similar to each other, but your test signal does not appear to be the same logarithmic sine sweep as https://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sweep.php

• What about TB Barricade? I can’t decide wether to get TB Compressor or Barricade. I’ve been mulling this over awhile now... I want something flexible for a channel or mix bus, but can also be used on the master bus.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    What about TB Barricade? I can’t decide wether to get TB Compressor or Barricade. I’ve been mulling this over awhile now... I want something flexible for a channel or mix bus, but can also be used on the master bus.

They’re pretty different. Barricade has a very basic compressor. Compressor is a full featured compressor.

Get Barricade if you need a limiter that has compression. Get Compressor if you need a compressor.

• edited November 2020

Good advice, @DukeWonder Thanks! how’s Tb compressor with another limiter, a hassle or similar results?

• TB Barricade is a compressor-limiter, I think designed mostly for the master bus. The compressor has far fewer parameters to adjust than TB's regular compressor. If I understand correctly.