Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which of the FabFilter apps are absolutely must-have?

I already have (and love!) Saturn 2. What are the best of the rest that can't be covered by a ToneBosters (or other) equivalent???

Comments

• Just to refresh you memory:

• None. ;-)
    But I think ProQ3 is great and value over the TB equivalent despite the extra cash. I just think the interface is unbeatable. But maybe I'm used to it from desktop. If cash is an issue I would go with TB EQ without hesitation.

TB Barricade offers far more value being a limiter and a compressor in one. To buy the FabFilter Limiter and Compressor will cost something 5x the price of Barricade. So, much harder to justify the FF duo over TB Barricade IMO

• edited November 2020

Except for Saturn, I think of FF plugins as being the best for mixing in a DAW rather than for live performance.

I think they're all the best at what they do, so it depends on what you need.

Everyone needs EQ and Compressor, so I'd list these first:

Pro-Q 3
    Pro-C 2

MB is kind of neat, like a combo of Q and C, but maybe less essential for that reason? (Alternatively, if you buy MB then maybe C is less essential?)

Pro-MB

Pro-DS
    Pro-G
    Pro-L 2
    Pro-R

• @mojozart, would you recommend the Q 3 and C-2 over Magic Death Eye and the DDMF 6144???

• Yeah I'll echo the above, outside of Saturn, TB pretty much has you covered, but I think Pro-Q3, Pro-C, Pro-MB, and Pro-L are phenomenal and I use them along with TB apps on every track.

• @SNystrom said:
    @mojozart, would you recommend the Q 3 and C-2 over Magic Death Eye and the DDMF 6144???

MDE and 6144 are both great, but are more geared for mastering and not for surgical FX in a mix.

• FabFilter is the desktop king for EQ... All of there apps emphasize applying that Effect across a Frequency Spectrum.

My favorite general EQ from them is the MultiBand Compressor. You can spend time on
    a track or a mix dialing in a sonic image.

So... Pro-MB followed by ProQ3. (I think both support Side-Chain if your DAW does too).
    Learning to side-chain is a tremendous pro skill to add clarity to a mix. Google for Youtube and Learn this skill.

Saturn2 is a really wonderful #3 and if you have EQ (ToneBoosters) and Compression(Magic Death Eye Stereo) covered I'd go for Saturn2 as the next in line.

• edited November 2020

Essential, pro-q and saturn. Pro-g and pro-ds if you are doing vocals but there are other uses, ds is handy on acoustic for example. I use all FF on desktop but on iOS I'm doing different things so some/most can be replaced with alternatives that cost less and do a good enough job. Not sure I like the TB limiter a great deal but it's good enough. I'd use the FF alternative on desktop for sure. I love Pro-R but I have other reverbs that will suffice. If money were no object I'd just grab them all though. Because IMWO they are the best and I am very familiar with their wonderful interfaces. FF already have enough of my money for desktop gear so I'm not paying these prices for an iPad version.

• EQ3 is king
    Pro-R is a really good high quality reverb for iOS. I think it’s good to have a few different reverbs to go to.
    Saturn2 is amazing but you already got that!

• I'd say all are worth it, but the EQ is the absolute best and a must. I'm gonna put in a word for Pro-R here, too. Despite the Toneboosters reverb being very good itself, nothing tops the Pro-R for me as far as being an unintrusive, un-obnoxious reverb for producing when you want your reverb to be a tool for enhancement and not just as an effect, if that makes sense. The TB one is quite good, but Pro-R has a bit more magic; a fuller presence than the TB as well as a beautiful subtle chorus reverb effect. Plus the controls are immediate, intuitive, and simple to get what you want. TB reverb has some weird menu diving/odd navigation choices. Only small quibbles with the TB, but they add up and I just think Pro-R plain sounds better.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I'd say all are worth it, but the EQ is the absolute best and a must. I'm gonna put in a word for Pro-R here, too. Despite the Toneboosters reverb being very good itself, nothing tops the Pro-R for me as far as being an unintrusive, un-obnoxious reverb for producing when you want your reverb to be a tool for enhancement and not just as an effect, if that makes sense. The TB one is quite good, but Pro-R has a bit more magic; a fuller presence than the TB as well as a beautiful subtle chorus reverb effect. Plus the controls are immediate, intuitive, and simple to get what you want. TB reverb has some weird menu diving/odd navigation choices. Only small quibbles with the TB, but they add up and I just think Pro-R plain sounds better.

TB Reverb has a randomizer button.

• @jolico said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I'd say all are worth it, but the EQ is the absolute best and a must. I'm gonna put in a word for Pro-R here, too. Despite the Toneboosters reverb being very good itself, nothing tops the Pro-R for me as far as being an unintrusive, un-obnoxious reverb for producing when you want your reverb to be a tool for enhancement and not just as an effect, if that makes sense. The TB one is quite good, but Pro-R has a bit more magic; a fuller presence than the TB as well as a beautiful subtle chorus reverb effect. Plus the controls are immediate, intuitive, and simple to get what you want. TB reverb has some weird menu diving/odd navigation choices. Only small quibbles with the TB, but they add up and I just think Pro-R plain sounds better.

TB Reverb has a randomizer button.

Hahaha, you got me. Well-played!

• Insta-buy! 🤗

• Oh yeah, I also have THE DDMF NYC Compressor.

Would that affect anyone's suggestions?

• edited November 2020

@SNystrom said:
    @mojozart, would you recommend the Q 3 and C-2 over Magic Death Eye and the DDMF 6144???

You will end up with all of them eventually.

For now though, you need to decide if you want to use your ears only (6144 & MagicDeathEyeStereo)

or if you want to use your eyes (Q3 & C-2)

• I find the Pro-Q3s Eq matching feature pretty valuable for analyzing audio and trying to compare a mix of mine to a mix I am trying to emulate.

• Wow! So many great thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I'm definitely going to have to sleep on this one.

Nice problem to have.

Thank you all for your contributions!

• The tricky question: I already have the ProQ2. Is the Pro Q3 really worth the outlay?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The tricky question: I already have the ProQ2. Is the Pro Q3 really worth the outlay?

Dynamic eq is a no brainer

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The tricky question: I already have the ProQ2. Is the Pro Q3 really worth the outlay?

If you bought the Q2 as a standalone, there might be a bundle price that gives a discount on the q3

• I use them all, but the two I use the most are Pro-R and Pro L2.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

If you bought the Q2 as a standalone, there might be a bundle price that gives a discount on the q3

https://apps.apple.com/app-bundle/fabfilter-pro-q-3-upgrade/id1469374654

What price is this for you, @ExAsperis99 ?

I have both already, so cannot see.

• Been waiting on a deal for these things; got Saturn 2 and Q3 last night on advice of this thread. I'm now realizing how much fucking money I wasted trying to save money by buying other apps instead of these ones. Holy fuck these are good.

Looking at Pro-R now like I'd be robbing myself by not getting it. But now the pro bundle is 68$ which is only 38$ more than just getting pro-r.

Should I just get the whole damn thing and be done with it?

• @sclurbs said:
    Been waiting on a deal for these things; got Saturn 2 and Q3 last night on advice of this thread. I'm now realizing how much fucking money I wasted trying to save money by buying other apps instead of these ones. Holy fuck these are good.

Looking at Pro-R now like I'd be robbing myself by not getting it. But now the pro bundle is 68$ which is only 38$ more than just getting pro-r.

Should I just get the whole damn thing and be done with it?

yes

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Pro-Q3 is currently $21.99. To upgrade my bundle is $27. Not really a math guy, but....

I'm still not sure I'm going to get much more out of Q3 than I do with Q2. The dynamic EQ is interesting, but I find that so much surgical precision in EQing leads to deadened and never-finished tracks. At least for me, anyway.

I am in the market for a compressor, and I wonder if the multiband compressor (in conjunction with the EQ2) isn't money better spent....

• Hey y'all, a few hours ago the bundle price was showing as 68$ but now it's at 89$

What happened?

• I just want to know if FabFilter is cooking new apps with a release date not to far away...

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Pro-Q3 is currently $21.99. To upgrade my bundle is $27. Not really a math guy, but....

They’re definitely struggling with something with that pricing. Keep an eye on it. I had 2 ProQ3 and ProR already but when I clicked into the bundle last night, I was able to get all the remaining apps for $20. Should have been like $120 normally.

• @Obo said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

They’re definitely struggling with something with that pricing. Keep an eye on it. I had 2 of the apps already (ProQ3 and ProR) but when I clicked into the bundle last night, I was able to get all the remaining apps for $20. Should have been like $120 normally.

• @sclurbs said:
    Hey y'all, a few hours ago the bundle price was showing as 68$ but now it's at 89$

What happened?

That’s the normal price. Try scrolling all the way down and then back up. Sometimes that works.