Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

external storage, what do you use?

As it's black Friday there are some great deals on external storage. I've been looking at SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB Up to 550 MB/s Read

It has a read speed of up to 550mb/s read. Do you think this would be suitable for streaming samples like in Neo soul keys studio 2 etc?

Comments

• @Sandstorm Will you be connecting it to a USB-C iPad, or at least to a USB 3.1 port?

• Samsung T5 or T7's for everything here. Small, fast, works with iPad and laptop.

• @Sandstorm said:
    As it's black Friday there are some great deals on external storage. I've been looking at Sand Disk like this one;https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-SSD-Read/dp/B078STRHBX/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=sandisk+ssd+1tb&qid=1606415308&s=computers&sr=1-21

It has a read speed of up to 550mb/s read. Do you think this would be suitable for streaming samples like in Neo soul keys studio 2 etc?

I use extreme Pro version - the best quality+transfer speed Ive ever seen -tried many other brands like seagate,samsung etc. Id never recommend any of them 😢

• @uncledave said:
    @Sandstorm Will you be connecting it to a USB-C iPad, or at least to a USB 3.1 port?

Sorry forgot to mention. I have an Ipad Pro 2nd Gen. So lightning connector.

• @Tarekith said:
    Samsung T5 or T7's for everything here. Small, fast, works with iPad and laptop.

Thanks for the info.

• @cazel said:

@Sandstorm said:
    As it's black Friday there are some great deals on external storage. I've been looking at Sand Disk like this one;https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-SSD-Read/dp/B078STRHBX/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=sandisk+ssd+1tb&qid=1606415308&s=computers&sr=1-21

I use extreme Pro version - the best quality+transfer speed Ive ever seen -tried many other brands like seagate,samsung etc. Id never recommend any of them 😢

Thanks for the response. I looked at those and they carry a hefty price tag but like you say you get lightning speed read and write. Just wondered if the one I linked would be a good choice as I'm using Ipad pro 2nd gen?

• @Sandstorm said:

Thanks for the response. I looked at those and they carry a hefty price tag but like you say you get lightning speed read and write. Just wondered if the one I linked would be a good choice as I'm using Ipad pro 2nd gen?

yeah! I think its also a great choice! caus Im using extreme pro 1tb with mac -for Ableton factory packs+user library- it runs smooth πŸ™ŒπŸΏ

• @cazel said:

@Sandstorm said:

yeah! I think its also a great choice! caus Im using extreme pro 1tb with mac -for Ableton factory packs+user library- it runs smooth πŸ™ŒπŸΏ

• @Sandstorm said:

@uncledave said:
    @Sandstorm Will you be connecting it to a USB-C iPad, or at least to a USB 3.1 port?

Right. So you'll be using the Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter and the vendor's USB-C to USB-A adapter. Should be OK, but it'd be good to hear some experience from iPad owners. This external drive thing is still pretty new for us, unlike the Mac owners.

• Samsung T7 Touch (w/ a fingerprint scanner) - small, very fast and secure though encryption is totally optional

• @uncledave said:

@Sandstorm said:

@uncledave said:

Right. So you'll be using the Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter and the vendor's USB-C to USB-A adapter. Should be OK, but it'd be good to hear some experience from iPad owners. This external drive thing is still pretty new for us, unlike the Mac owners.

Works fine but you'll need an external power source

• edited November 2020

@uncledave said:

@Sandstorm said:

@uncledave said:

Yes correct. I think i may try some pen flash drives first. They now go up to 512gb. If it doesnt work I can still use it as a back up for my laptop plus they are way cheaper!

Thanks

• @yug said:
    Samsung T7 Touch (w/ a fingerprint scanner) - small, very fast and secure though encryption is totally optional

Been looking at these also. Get great reviews on amazon.

Thanks

• Last I checked, iOS doesn't support safely ejecting external storage. Are there any clear UI indicators when the disk is being written to? Has anyone here corrupted a disk yet?

• @orchid said:
    Last I checked, iOS doesn't support safely ejecting external storage. Are there any clear UI indicators when the disk is being written to? Has anyone here corrupted a disk yet?

Would that not have been implemented with IOS13 which allowed the use of external storage. Surely this wouldn't have been overlooked?

• Is the ios external storage mainly for storing files that are not being used (frequently) or is it possible to use it as a working directory of certain apps to save internal storage?

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Sandstorm said:

@orchid said:
    Last I checked, iOS doesn't support safely ejecting external storage. Are there any clear UI indicators when the disk is being written to? Has anyone here corrupted a disk yet?

Would that not have been implemented with IOS13 which allowed the use of external storage. Surely this wouldn't have been overlooked?

When I plug a USB stick that's been removed from an iOS device into a Windows PC, I get a notice that the drive needs fixing - even if there was no activity at all on the drive when removed. I doubt there's any corruption on the drive, but they evidently don't set some flag that says it was cleanly shut down to Windows PCs. That doesn't happen when plugging into a Mac, but it tells me that Apple wasn't as thorough as they should be.

Hey. It's Apple. They would rather not support external storage at all if they could get away with it. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

• @wim said:

@Sandstorm said:

@orchid said:

When I plug a USB stick that's been removed from an iOS device into a Windows PC, I get a notice that the drive needs fixing - even if there was no activity at all on the drive when removed. I doubt there's any corruption on the drive, but they evidently don't set some flag that says it was cleanly shut down to Windows PCs. That doesn't happen when plugging into a Mac, but it tells me that Apple wasn't as thorough as they should be.

Hey. It's Apple. They would rather not support external storage at all if they could get away with it. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

When I unplug my 10 year old iomega external hard drive from my laptop there is no facility when I right click to get the drop down menu to remove device. As long as there is no data transfer it's fine to just unplug it. Now this could be that, because of it's age, it has to run from a power socket rather than USB powered that there's no need to safely remove device.

So there is no facility to safely remove device from your ipad when removing the USB stick?

It doesn't make sense to give us external storage but not to implement safe removal.

• @GLacey said:
    Is the ios external storage mainly for storing files that are not being used (frequently) or is it possible to use it as a working directory of certain apps to save internal storage?

One reason I originally asked was because I was thinking of getting Neo soul keys studio 2 which states it can run from an external storage device. But I would mainly use it to back up songs, apps etc.

• Ok I have the external storage sorted. I am using a Sandisk cruzer flash drive and it seems to be working great. I have saved my AUM, Cubasis 3 and Korg Gadget 2 files to the memory stick. AUM and Cubasis both load correctly back into their respective apps but the korg gadget 2 files only give me an error message, something like "Oops file not found"!

They do seem to transfer from my ipad to the memory stick BUT unlike the AUM and Cubasis 3 files there isn't a logo inside each file. So I'm assuming the file transfer isn't working as I though!

Any ideas please?

• So are people here successfully using external storage for direct use with apps or mainly as a backup/repository? Just got my hub today will have a play on the weekend with my external drive.

On the subject of external storage, can anyone tell me if the 8th gen iPad's have USB3. I can only assume so but it I can't see USB speed mentioned anywhere for these units.

• @Cambler said:
    So are people here successfully using external storage for direct use with apps or mainly as a backup/repository? Just got my hub today will have a play on the weekend with my external drive.

On the subject of external storage, can anyone tell me if the 8th gen iPad's have USB3. I can only assume so but it I can't see USB speed mentioned anywhere for these units.

USB 2.0, according to gsmarena. Could be wrong.

• @uncledave said:

@Cambler said:
    So are people here successfully using external storage for direct use with apps or mainly as a backup/repository? Just got my hub today will have a play on the weekend with my external drive.

Limited by lightning port

• @audiobussy said:

@uncledave said:

@Cambler said:

Limited by lightning port

Depends on the device. With some older iPads Pro like my 10.5” Pro, Apple’s CCK performs at USB3 speeds

• I've used an external USB drive with my Ipad & reading it is fine using a powered hub. I think the files still copy over to the Ipad though before use instead of reading directly from it. Is this just how they are?

• @bmoo said:
    I've used an external USB drive with my Ipad & reading it is fine using a powered hub. I think the files still copy over to the Ipad though before use instead of reading directly from it. Is this just how they are?

I think it depends on the app. Some, like Soundfonts, have an option to copy files, or use in place.

• @uncledave said:

@bmoo said:
    I've used an external USB drive with my Ipad & reading it is fine using a powered hub. I think the files still copy over to the Ipad though before use instead of reading directly from it. Is this just how they are?

I think it depends on the app. Some, like Soundfonts, have an option to copy files, or use in place.

oh right, I'll have to do some further investigations. Cheers