Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge updates to AudioShare and AUM

Comments

• edited November 2020

@CracklePot said:
    @sigma79
    I don’t know, but I assume it is limited to what your device is capable of.
    You can record all the channels to their own files simultaneously, and you can create at least 64 channels, but probably couldn’t run that many at once anyway.

Hi CracklePot. Thanks.

Should has just seen if it can but are you saying I can send a synth to a bus of effects and aum will record a copy of synth with effects and a copy without effects?

• Nuva question good fellow.

In Korg editor for a nanokey. Is there a cc setting, which can make a knob on nanokey, successfully ( show plugin ) instead of not be able to show plugin. At mo it sort of strobes the plugin. Maybe because off cc or because its not possible via knob.

Thanks

• @sigma79 said:

@CracklePot said:
    @sigma79
    You can record all the channels to their own files simultaneously, and you can create at least 64 channels, but probably couldn’t run that many at once anyway.

Hi Cra> @CracklePot said:

@sigma79

Hi CracklePot. Thanks.

Should has just seen if it can but are you saying I can send a synth to a bus of effects and aum will record a copy of synth with effects and a copy without effects?

Yeah, each channel can be armed individually, and all can record separate files simultaneously.
    So if you recorded 5 channels, you would have 5 audio files after 1 recording pass.

• @CracklePot said:

@sigma79 said:

@CracklePot said:
    @sigma79

@sigma79

Hi CracklePot. Thanks.

Yeah, each channel can be armed individually, and all can record separate files simultaneously.
    So if you recorded 5 channels, you would have 5 audio files after 1 recording pass.

Of course. Otherwise it would make bus sends pointless.

• @sigma79 said:

@CracklePot said:

@sigma79 said:

@CracklePot said:
    @sigma79

@sigma79

Hi CracklePot. Thanks.

Of course. Otherwise it would make bus sends pointless.

Here is what I think you are describing

• Hi. Yeah. Some tracks. Say SB Drum computer. Are bussed to a (drum) bus then sent to master bus. Would it still record if there were a mix bus in place of headphone?

Thanks mate

• @sigma79 said:
    Hi. Yeah. Some tracks. Say SB Drum computer. Are bussed to a (drum) bus then sent to master bus. Would it still record if there were a mix bus in place of headphone?

Thanks mate

Any channel can be recorded to disk. The destination at the bottom doesn’t matter.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Hi. Yeah. Some tracks. Say SB Drum computer. Are bussed to a (drum) bus then sent to master bus. Would it still record if there were a mix bus in place of headphone?

Thanks mate

Any channel can be recorded to disk. The destination at the bottom doesn’t matter.

Thanks espiegel. Might help complete a track being able to add effects after but with track and effects also recorded if needed.

• edited November 2020

@j_liljedahl or anyone who knows: how do I get Audioshare to update the contents of a folder?

Ther folder is actually an external ssd full of samples that I have changed quite extensively. My iPad has changed the view of the drive to reflect the changes, the deleted and added files and folders, but Audioshare is still showing Before rather than After.

• @ashh said:
    Ther folder is actually an external ssd full of samples that I have changed quite extensively. My iPad has changed the view of the drive to reflect the changes, the deleted and added files and folders, but Audioshare is still showing Before rather than After.

Are you really working in Audioshare directly with the external SSD? I thought you can only import/export with USB drives...

• @krassmann said:

@ashh said:

Are you really working in Audioshare directly with the external SSD? I thought you can only import/export with USB drives...

If by 'directly' you mean can I open Audioshare, browse to the contents of an external drive, choose a file from that drive and then import it into whatever I'm using? Then the answer is yes.

• AFAIK the answer is actually ‘no’.
    Your content on the hard drive had to be imported at some point in AS - duplicated on your iDevice. That’s why you don’t see the ‘up to date content’.

• edited November 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:
    AFAIK the answer is actually ‘no’.
    Your content on the hard drive had to be imported at some point in AS - duplicated on your iDevice. That’s why you don’t see the ‘up to date content’.

I see what you mean. I guess that is the correct answer. At the end of the day, I think that the important part is that I can browse to the drive and use it's contents. What happens in between isn't the bit they were interested in. That's the bit I'm interested in.

So, back to my question, is there a way to force Audioshare to update? I think I can delete what As is seeing but I'm not sure if that means that when I delete it, As actually deletes the files? Or just it's record of them, whilst leaving the actual files intact?

• I proposed but not sure if possible and havent thought it through.

Aum. You have tracks which are mainly apps. You perform track, then when you play an audio sample sort of an interlude. Some special magic loads all the next synths but also keeps cpu under 100 percent ( but aum cant even do that at the mo ) A session import to the audio track. I guess faders would need to be saved closed as it would be tied to link. This way you could perform an album. It would always ( always ) be better than a DAW ( although it might always be anyway )

• I always feel I need to mix. Which is sort of evident in my track making.

• I just unplugged the drive, deleted the old folder and pointed Aum at it after I plugged it back in. Job done.

• When you browse to an external Files location (regardless if it's iCloud Drive, an USB drive, or any other FileProvider plugin), that view is shown and handled by iOS itself and there's no way for the app itself to refresh or reload it. It should show the exact same content as you'd see in the iOS Files app.

• edited December 2020

@j_liljedahl, my sample library is much bigger than the storage I have on my iPad, so when iPadOS 13 introduced support for USB drives I hoped that this would ease my pain. But it actually didn’t as it is impossible to work directly with the files that are stored on the drive. But I have some ideas that I’d like to introduce:

A preview function in the file select a dialogue. The app Auditor has got this feature and it also works with USB drives. There’s a little speaker icon in the dialogue and when activating it the audio files are played back when selected. With this feature you could preview the files before importing them.

The other idea is that AudioShare would keep track of the audio files that are in use by other apps. Actually I don’t know if this is possible. And when you delete a whole directory tree with audio files within AudioShare there would be an option to keep these files that are still being used. That would allow to swap out parts of my library while ensuring that used files are not being removed.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    When you browse to an external Files location (regardless if it's iCloud Drive, an USB drive, or any other FileProvider plugin), that view is shown and handled by iOS itself and there's no way for the app itself to refresh or reload it. It should show the exact same content as you'd see in the iOS Files app.

That would be nice.

• AudioShare and iPadOS Share Sheet.... So I thought I’d try to streamline the apps that I can send audio files to other apps. Edited the share sheet, hit done and motherfu— 80% of the apps are gone!

It appears to be linked to file type—I edited the sheet with a .wav so it applies to those file types. I can still share, for example, .MP3’s the way I could before.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting those back? I suppose I could restore from last night’s backup, but that’s just inviting a bigger disaster. Thanks.

• @krassmann said:
    @j_liljedahl, my sample library is much bigger than the storage I have on my iPad, so when iPadOS 13 introduced support for USB drives I hoped that this would ease my pain. But it actually didn’t as it is impossible to work directly with the files that are stored on the drive. But I have some ideas that I’d like to introduce:

A preview function in the file select a dialogue. The app Auditor has got this feature and it also works with USB drives. There’s a little speaker icon in the dialogue and when activating it the audio files are played back when selected. With this feature you could preview the files before importing them.

Are you sure? It doesn't show any of that in the AppStore screenshots (I don't have Auditor installed currently so can't check). The file picker view is provided by iOS itself so I can't think of any way to include preview buttons in there.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Are you sure? It doesn't show any of that in the AppStore screenshots (I don't have Auditor installed currently so can't check). The file picker view is provided by iOS itself so I can't think of any way to include preview buttons in there.

Auditor adds a speaker icon to the file picker...

It can be toggled on/off.

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Auditor adds a speaker icon to the file picker...

It can be toggled on/off.

I see, so when toggled, selecting a file does not import it but plays it instead?

• @j_liljedahl said:

I see, so when toggled, selecting a file does not import it but plays it instead?

Yepp and you can then long-tap and 'Open In Editor' or disable the speaker and tap to open.

It's quite handy, tapping on a new file cancels the playback of the previous file or restarts the playback if the same file is tapped again, tapping on speaker mutes stops the playback and the speaker has to be tapped again to resume preview mode.
    (Apparently it's a bit tricky to stop playback by tapping the already playing file since it doesn't remain selected).

I do wish Apple would add a proper view function and 'fix' the buggy quicklook preview that skips the beginning of files when previewing the same file twice (it's the same bug in macOS as well even under Big Sur).

Cheers!

• edited December 2020

@j_liljedahl It seems that the keyboard in AUM has some kind of 'bug' that can cause hanging notes?!

Here's a screen dump from Midi Monitor, I tap the AUM keyboard once.

Here's another screen dump from Midi Monitor using KB-1, again I just tap the keyboard once.

The AUM behavior can cause hanging notes with some AUv3's and hardware while KB-1 works without issues?!
    Don't know if any changes have been made to the midi keyboard but I recall it has not been like this before...

For me personally it's not a biggie just an observation of a behavior that may need an adjustment.
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.3).

Cheers & Happy Holidays!
    /Samuel

• @sigma79 said:
    Basically to not have all effects recorded on recording ( but also to have effects on recording in case good )

This way the option of re-adding effects, when not having to tweak synths.

People might seen to transfer to a DAW. Is it that effects are always transfered on audio?

Made a setup with over 20 channels but never used all channels ( this is without the potential of above. Where every channel has an additional send or receive ) Wouldnt want to find aum can only record max of 16 channels.

Simple: put the FX on busses. Then you can choose to record the dry channel or the one with the FX. Be sure to mute one or the other depending on whether you want the FX or not. Otherwise you'll get the sound doubling up.

• @Samu said:
    @j_liljedahl It seems that the keyboard in AUM has some kind of 'bug' that can cause hanging notes?!

Here's a screen dump from Midi Monitor, I tap the AUM keyboard once.

Here's another screen dump from Midi Monitor using KB-1, again I just tap the keyboard once.

The AUM behavior can cause hanging notes with some AUv3's and hardware while KB-1 works without issues?!
    Don't know if any changes have been made to the midi keyboard but I recall it has not been like this before...

For me personally it's not a biggie just an observation of a behavior that may need an adjustment.
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.3).

Cheers & Happy Holidays!
    /Samuel

MIDI Note On with velocity 0 is a legitimate note off. If a synth treats it otherwise, it would be a bug in the synth.

• @espiegel123 said:

>

MIDI Note On with velocity 0 is a legitimate note off. If a synth treats it otherwise, it would be a bug in the synth.

Honestly Note On with Velocity 0 makes absolutely no sense when there's a proper Note Off function...

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

>

Honestly Note On with Velocity 0 makes absolutely no sense when there's a proper Note Off function...

Not so. It is a norm. It significantly cleans up code. It may be even more common than sending note off.

• @espiegel123 said:

Not so. It is a norm. It significantly cleans up code. It may be even more common than sending note off.

Oh well, I do not have a single hardware instrument/controller that sends note on with velocity 0 when lifting the fingers from the keys/pads...

It's like counter-intuitive with Note ON but not if velocity is 0, and synths that do that will never respond to release-velocity...