Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Mixing desk for live jams

How do I mix with control & purpose on iOS?
The choices here are endless with so many apps. I’m need to learn some foundations. Learn the principles of mixing sounds with a choice of setup, rather than just randomly throwing in the latest on sale app in AUM till I like the sound. 🙈😎💩

What’s your solid mixing set up? Combining levels, eq, compression, reverb outside of a daw etc?

...recommendations from pro engineers/producers. what are the most basic needs in setting up a rig, to be able to sculpt sounds together simply? What combo of apps do you always use for this?

Ma genre: synths with prominent bass and rhythm

Comments

• First.

What is your output apps or set up with apps?

Do you use hardware?

What genre music?

What is your knowledge base of gain staging?

What did you use before iOS?

What are you trying to accomplish?

• I'm not sure what you want to achieve but I do everything via AUM. On iPad I use Fabfilter plugins for compression, limiting etc on the master.

For my drum channel I'll have FAC Transient to add punch of create tails on the hit (depending what I need) and some tape saturation from one of the many options (DAW Cassette, Tape Pro, Reelbus etc) with something like Degrader adding crunch. Maybe iVCS3 spring if the track suits it.

Bass is mostly EQ or filtering.

Mids will have spring and filter to add movement (RRS Polivoks, Bleass Filter etc). Also probably some kind of delay (there are iterally dozens so see what works for the track).

Other than that I'll put sidechaining on everything aside from drums via FF or if I'm on iPhone Sidekick/Pumphouse.

The key to it all is bussing eveything properly. Use an external controller if that helps too - the tactility makes it feel less in the box.

As far as sequencing, I used Xequence 2 until a few days ago or Bram Bos Rozeta suite. At present I'm using LK. There are two videos in this thread that show you what I'm doing:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42163/eg-pulse-lk-ableton-performance-edited#latest

• edited November 2020

@RUST( i )K said:
    First.

What is your output apps or set up with apps?

AUM or Audiobus

Do you use hardware?

Yes

What genre music?

In my head it sounds like: 60’s evangelical major chord folk music, battling minimal repeats of yiddish harmonic minor melodies, held together with urban dub-pop soundsystem riddims of techno chord stabs and fat sine sub basslines. The chorus is usually, a classic sample lifted from an ragga MC singing, or a pitch-shifted self-help guru from you-tube.

What is your knowledge base of gain staging?

None apart from not letting sum of all the channels make the master too hot. I need to learn the basics, keep it simple. i.e.. in control of the sound.

What did you use before iOS?

A deluge for about a year, a circuit before that, mixed lots of dialogue in video editing software, I know a little bit of Ableton, Max, audiacity, proTools, logic, sl-1200s, built basic soundSystems, radio transmitters.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Use iOS to mix and FX send/return a mixture of hardware/software sources. iOS usually does drums.
    Not looking to master recordings, just experiment while jamming, with the mixing as a instrument I can practice with live, rather than constant fiddling with setups.

• edited November 2020

In my head it sounds like: 60’s evangelical major chord folk music, battling minimal repeats of yiddish harmonic minor melodies, held together with urban dub-pop soundsystem riddims of techno chord stabs and fat sine sub basslines. The chorus is usually, a classic sample lifted from an MC singing, or a pitch-shifted self-help guru from you-tube.

Same.

• You can't really go wrong with the FabFilter bundle, though you might want to wait in case it goes on sale. (Maybe it is?)
    Or you could have a slightly less versatile compressor/reverb/limiter combo by looking at the ToneBoosters apps. Can't go wrong either way.

As for learning mixing? It sounds like you probably know as much as anybody on the forums. I would absolutely recommend the FabFilter tutorial videos by Dan Worrall.

• edited November 2020

@PeteSasqwax said:.

The key to it all is bussing eveything properly.

How to setup a base configuration with eq’s and send and returns, and what do you put on those sends always(thanks for the tips!). I like how you use lk, to structure the jam with clip launching.

• edited November 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:
    In my head it sounds like:.

Same.

Telepathy init

Yes those fabFilter videos are excellent. ta+

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38986/toneboosters-vs-fabfilter/p1

• edited November 2020

So while the sales are on... the FF bundle is now £70 off!

So I have to decide to go down the TB or FF route. As they are the same price.

I’ve only got TB ReelBus. It’s super easy to use, and the presets sound sweet, and are well tweekable, and It’s always on the output, and my fav. sounding space echo.

On the FF side I’ve only got proQ2. I love this shaping tool with the visual feedback, it’s a one trick pony, that’s on most of my buses.

The only thing I don’t like about the FF is that AUM main parameter control is not exposed due to the midi (three horiz lines) being there to the left of the insert, instead of the half-circle slider (maybe just my lack of knowledge).

I really like the mixing part of the process when jamming, and this choice will impact the next year, as I can’t afford both (in time learning and cost). Wish the TB did a bundle.
    Ideas?