Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

daily screen capture jams (post and listen)

Comments

• @aleyas said:
    Dude, gave me a big smile when I saw this video! Great idea to throw some amp modulation on the output.
    Btw, I'm turning the rack into a processor, so you could run any oscillator (or sound source at all) into the 15 faders.

@reasOne said:
    here’s a quick idea using @aleyas drambo machine with WOV to get some rhythm, with some intention this could prove to be a great way to jam around!

i was going to ask you if it was possible to change the source, i looked thru your creation and was impressed with the build, quite a monster you have designed here , i don’t understand all the parts so i was not sure how to go about changing the source from a sine to something like a saw or sample, so that’s great news to hear it’ll be a processer!!

• digging everyone’s screen caps today! i enjoy seeing all these personally, they are very inspiring! keep ‘em coming

• edited November 2020

Okay, to change the source open the rack. There are 2 sine oscillators at the far left. You can turn those into any shape. The 2nd oscillator is the 2nd octave also, if you want the two octaves could be different shapes (or they don’t need to be octaves apart, creative license to do whatever!)
    If you want a sample or any other sound, just insert 2 samplers before the L/R to Stereo module. Route their outputs to the L/R inputs - but make sure the samples are 1 octave apart (and constantly looping).

@reasOne said:

@aleyas said:
    Dude, gave me a big smile when I saw this video! Great idea to throw some amp modulation on the output.
    Btw, I'm turning the rack into a processor, so you could run any oscillator (or sound source at all) into the 15 faders.

@reasOne said:
    here’s a quick idea using @aleyas drambo machine with WOV to get some rhythm, with some intention this could prove to be a great way to jam around!

i was going to ask you if it was possible to change the source, i looked thru your creation and was impressed with the build, quite a monster you have designed here , i don’t understand all the parts so i was not sure how to go about changing the source from a sine to something like a saw or sample, so that’s great news to hear it’ll be a processer!!

• @onerez said:
    New one today...... kind of rough...

Good one. Nice tone.

• Here’s a little Tardigrain jam I did with a recording I took of my girlfriend’s family talking outside of the hospital yesterday. Figured something beautiful and dark would be a good tribute for her grandma who passed.

• One more for the day. I ignored Endlesss for a while and I’m glad I started fooling around with it more. It’s a nice break from trying to be productive with music.

• @Obo said:

Man, I’m really digging this one. Definitely reminds me of Floyd. (Can you imagine if Floyd had AUM?!).

Yes. This one is really beautyful. I really like the way you are using til pitchbend. I don’t considder myself a pitch-bend-kind-of-guy but i love it in this track.
    And yes @Obo there is some Floyd to this and beautyful and Floyd is a perfect match 😊

• @aleyas man! thank you that makes sense.. loving this instrument

• Thought I would a embrace a certain degree of randomness to my offerings in this thread to force my creativity so I am using www.random.ok to generate a BPM between 20 and 150 which I am setting Piano Motifs to. Then using the same site to select a number of allowed bars between 20 and 80. Then generating a number between 1 and 10 for the number of goes at allowing PM to generate a random tune. Then I make the most of it!
    So this is 150bpm, D minor 3/4 time... not helped by the 3/4 bottle of Zinfandel just consumed...

• just in the mood for some sad chops today, so did a little chomplr drambo loop. i think i can fix the drums and make this better, drop it into koala

• edited November 2020

Experiment #5:

Experimental Conditions:

1: Use only the iPad
    2: Use multiple instances of the free Korg Module app as the sole instrument
    3: Use only sounds from a single purchased sound pack: ‘Cinematics’, currently £3.99
    4:Use MIDI effects and generators only - no audio effects, no manual mixing.
    5: Randomise everything!

Everything set to the Aeolian Scale in the key of D. All musical information in any app with a randomise generated solely by that function after initial setup conditions set, no post-hoc editing allowed. Where no randomiser available, (e.g. Fugue Machine) notes selected by stabbing at screen randomly, then setting scale.

(For anyone interested, at the end of the piece there is a little footage of the MIDI setup, etc)

• Here’s a little something I was goofing around with in Gadget this am. I liked the main flute riff and drums are okay but then just kinda didn’t know where to go. As it stands its too repetitive, sorry about that!

If you’re watching this, please TURN VOLUME DOWN. I’m not sure because I’m on AirPods at the moment but the vid is now coming through pretty loud on my end. There’s an abrupt change at 45 seconds to be mindful of (hey, you said you wanted rough drafts!)

I do have a question for anyone who watches this - is there a better way to fade out the one synth sound as opposed to what’s shown in the vid (halfway through second scene, about 1:00 minute into the vid). I’m trying to automate the frequency until it’s no longer audible but the way gadget has you draw in the automation is not ideal for this at all. I’m used to being able to make two points and connect them and end up with a perfectly straight line in the automation section as opposed to trying to freehand it over 16 bars or whatever. My project looks like my 3 year old used the automation section to practice his coloring!

I’m positive there’s a better way (I’m not even sure if fading the VCF frequency is ideal and if it is, assume there’s a better way).

Anyway, here goes nothing!

• @reasOne said:
    just in the mood for some sad chops today, so did a little chomplr drambo loop. i think i can fix the drums and make this better, drop it into koala

I dig it. Nice work man, love Chompler have het to use it for anything other than quick one snots in a song. This was inspiring!

• these are all> @Obo said:

@reasOne said:
    just in the mood for some sad chops today, so did a little chomplr drambo loop. i think i can fix the drums and make this better, drop it into koala

I dig it. Nice work man, love Chompler have het to use it for anything other than quick one snots in a song. This was inspiring!

thank ya man!
    it’s so fast to get things going in chomplr! and sequencing it with drambo pretty much let’s you come up with any groove you can think of. i mostly pitch it down and soak it in reverb to get pads, and make it loop over really small sections to get all kinds of cool sounds..
    just went thru your gadget jam and that had me locked into gadget about an hour haha. good stuff man i love this thread

• @reasOne said:
    these are all> @Obo said:

@reasOne said:

thank ya man!
    it’s so fast to get things going in chomplr! and sequencing it with drambo pretty much let’s you come up with any groove you can think of. i mostly pitch it down and soak it in reverb to get pads, and make it loop over really small sections to get all kinds of cool sounds..
    just went thru your gadget jam and that had me locked into gadget about an hour haha. good stuff man i love this thread

Right? That might be my favorite part of this thread - remembering apps I’ve forgotten or combos I’ve never tried!

• @tahiche said:
    I posted this in a thread about trying out a dawless performance in AUM, using LK as control center, iDensity, Drambo for drums (sampled from a Neu! video) and playing Cgb guitar stems drenched in RE-1 tape.

There is so much great stuff on this thread, and I want to heap praise all around. @aleyas your stuff is marvelous, and @onerez I could easily believe that your Mononoke jam came from some forgotten AUM session on my iPad. (Would love to hear what you're listening to.) Very inspiring, all of it.

But I must confess I was really blown away by the dead-accurate post-punk of this @tahiche track. It's like Fugazi or some Homestead band I used to love. It's like Live Skull got an iPad. Really quite amazing. It actually made me mad how good it is.

Excellent thread. Forgive me if I've left you out. I'm just dipping in randomly!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@tahiche said:
    I posted this in a thread about trying out a dawless performance in AUM, using LK as control center, iDensity, Drambo for drums (sampled from a Neu! video) and playing Cgb guitar stems drenched in RE-1 tape.

There is so much great stuff on this thread, and I want to heap praise all around. @aleyas your stuff is marvelous, and @onerez I could easily believe that your Mononoke jam came from some forgotten AUM session on my iPad. (Would love to hear what you're listening to.) Very inspiring, all of it.

But I must confess I was really blown away by the dead-accurate post-punk of this @tahiche track. It's like Fugazi or some Homestead band I used to love. It's like Live Skull got an iPad. Really quite amazing. It actually made me mad how good it is.

Excellent thread. Forgive me if I've left you out. I'm just dipping in randomly!

Wow, thank u so much!. It really means a lot, you just made me a very proud and happy man.
    The comparison with Fugazi blew me away!. I fcking love Fugazi. I didn’t see that relation, that comparison is about the best praise possible. I don’t know Homestead or Live Skull. I’m gonna play them right away.

It makes me specially happy that there’s more diversity in this forum, and thus the iOS music world, than it seems at first glance. Logically there’s a majority of “electronic” musicians , nut I do see the iPad as a very capable indie, or punk generating device. iOS apps are cheap, loads of amazing indie developers outsiders of the “industry”, weird and unorthodox instruments and sound manglers.... it’s definitely more of a “4 track” vibe and workflow than sitting in front of a MacBook Pro. (And Yes, it’s Apple, hugely incongruent, Fugazi would probably not approve, but hey...🙃).

Talking punk... you know what?. My iPad crashed. I had no backups. Lost that song, the project, the presets, the recordings, the samples, everything, bye, bye. So that screen capture is all that’s left. I was actually making it into a “proper” song and had added some real bass, not anymore.
    Thanks again, really appreciate your comment. Best fuel possible to keep going 🙏🙏🙏🤘🤘🤘

• keep posting! i wish there was a like button cuz if everyone replies to everything they like here the thread will be insane 😎😂 i’m liking and jamming to all these and so are many others... keep ‘em coming

• Bummer, @tahiche. No iCloud backups at all? Nice track; agree with @ExAsperis99 assessment of the musical lineage.

• @reasOne said:

That was nice and mellow :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Experiment #5:

Experimental Conditions:

1: Use only the iPad
    2: Use multiple instances of the free Korg Module app as the sole instrument
    3: Use only sounds from a single purchased sound pack: ‘Cinematics’, currently £3.99
    4:Use MIDI effects and generators only - no audio effects, no manual mixing.
    5: Randomise everything!

Everything set to the Aeolian Scale in the key of D. All musical information in any app with a randomise generated solely by that function after initial setup conditions set, no post-hoc editing allowed. Where no randomiser available, (e.g. Fugue Machine) notes selected by stabbing at screen randomly, then setting scale.

(For anyone interested, at the end of the piece there is a little footage of the MIDI setup, etc)

Very nice, I picked the same pack too, apart from the orchestra it was the only one that appealed...

• Awesome, here’s a playlist of some of my AUM jams

• edited November 2020

A real crazy drum session, seven of them. No midi sequence just their own engines driving each other. It got a bit too distorted but real fun it was. Trying to figure out 'Ape Midi Send' and things just grew out of control :D [2 minutes]

• @rottencat said:

Like this one. It kind og reminds me of my favorit art museum “Lousianna”. Long corridors of mysterious modern art. Love it 😊

• @Pxlhg said:
    A real crazy drum session, seven of them. No midi sequence just their own engines driving each other. It got a bit too distorted but real fun it was. Trying to figure out 'Ape Midi Send' and things just grew out of control :D [2 minutes]

Sounds like cannibal robot machines celebrating a ritual!. Don’t know how the hell you did it. What is Ape Midi Send?. Ape Matrix?.
    Nice one!

• edited November 2020

Mononoke | Roxsyn | Dedalus [5mins]
    Basically one—well, technically, two—human interactions in Monoke at the beginning. The rest is generative.
    Intended this to be a short, 2 min demo, but.....Dedalus!
    [Note: brief bout of clipping around 4mins.]

• Some great stuff on here , I especially like the drums from @Pxlhg. My contribution is a very short, random Piano Motifs creation using sounds from the new Noise sound pack as demonstrated recently on Sound Test Room.

• This may not make much sense without familiarity with the source material but I recorded one bit of dialogue and skewered it full on 80s max headroom style as homage to Clark G. Next time I will continue my Egoist explorations with a melodic/ambient piece to show the app’s versatility.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This may not make much sense without familiarity with the source material but I recorded one bit of dialogue and skewered it full on 80s max headroom style as homage to Clark G. Next time I will continue my Egoist explorations with a melodic/ambient piece to show the app’s versatility.

Madness!
    Who is Clark G?