Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Looks like they are ripping off the Keystep

• Haha, Arturia keystep pro is here!

• I see he mentioned the Behringer up and coming DAW.

• I always found the build quality of Arturia superior to Behringer so I’m not fazed by the price.

• Obviously, that’s just an Arturia Keystep Black with a different rocker switch. Which is a shame, because I was hoping for Behringer’s new poly aftertouch technology...

• I don't get the point of this. Absolutely shameless ripoff and for what? It doesn't add anything and is barely cheaper.

I don't really have a problem with Behringer cloning older, out of production gear. Their clone of the still-in-production Mother 32 at least had the decency to change up the design and fix some bugs.

But this literally just a black Keystep with a rocker switch instead of a slide toggle.

• The Behringer DAW will be a Live ripoff then?

• @walkie my thoughts exactly! if you're going to rip something off, at least add something interesting to it.
    if it had 8 knobs or sliders, it would be a bit more forgivable.

• Where are all of the B apologizers with the "But the design is old and in the public domain and the original company chose to stop making it...." responses now?

• Gah. This is just shameful. B has a whole lot of money and a whole lot of smart people working for them—they could be making the coolest shit. Instead... gross.

• @david_2017 said:
    The Behringer DAW will be a Live ripoff then?

Probably, but with extra features, like anti-sync and battery combustion technology.

• @syrupcore said:
    Gah. This is just shameful. B has a whole lot of money and a whole lot of smart people working for them—they could be making the coolest shit. Instead... gross.

Yes, I agree. At this point they are just straight up copying. It’s not even like they’ll try to compete, with new ideas or better production, just carbon copy already existing stuff.

It’s like they are black marketeers.

• @walkie said:
    I don't get the point of this. Absolutely shameless ripoff and for what? It doesn't add anything and is barely cheaper.

I don't really have a problem with Behringer cloning older, out of production gear. Their clone of the still-in-production Mother 32 at least had the decency to change up the design and fix some bugs.

But this literally just a black Keystep with a rocker switch instead of a slide toggle.

The point is to dominate the low end market by whatever means necessary and they've been doing that from the start.

• @BroCoast said:

@walkie said:
    I don't get the point of this. Absolutely shameless ripoff and for what? It doesn't add anything and is barely cheaper.

The point is to dominate the low end market by whatever means necessary and they've been doing that from the start.

It still seems like a more effective tack would be to actually improve on the Keystep in some way or at least tweak the design to make it a less blatant ripoff. There are lots of obvious, easy things they could have done to improve on the Keystep: full-size USB port, power switch, second sequencer track, a few assignable midi knobs, ...

Adding all of those maybe raises the price point, but even just adding a full-size USB port and power switch fixes the most obvious flaws of the Keystep, or adding a second sequencer track (which maybe doesn't even require a hardware change) would make it really stand out in comparison.

I just don't see the point of such a shameless clone, down to even cloning the flaws, when you're talking about a device that's still in production and at such a similar price point. Seems like wasted effort and missed opportunity on Behringer's part, not to mention alienating even more potential customers with the laziness and shamelessness of this product.

• edited November 2020

From FB

Arturia and Behringer both have licences to produce it from its designer, an independent company called DesignBox.

https://www.design-box.de/produkt-design/

• edited November 2020

Cheaper prices (as long as it lasts, & is a quality product?).. Im up for it.. Cheaper prices means healthier competition, which is good for us all, in these difficult times financially.. Im glad Berhinger is doing this.. It takes away the greed from other music companies.. IMO..

• @syrupcore said:
    Where are all of the B apologizers with the "But the design is old and in the public domain and the original company chose to stop making it...." responses now?

That’s how they started off. Their first hit products were rip offs of Mackie mixers and drawmer compressors. I even had a 32 channel B mixing desk back in the 90s. It was fine. It cost a lot less than a 16 channel Mackie. It was the only 8 buss mixer I could afford (needed 8 busses for my 8 track reel to reel).

So I can’t take the moral high ground :lol:

I think if memory serves, B won a court case in the US against Drawner over the fact that a circuit board couldn’t be protected by design patents.

Anyway. I’m happy if they make clones of old analogue synths, including making clones of the original circuits that have long since been discontinued. I have a Pro-1 (which was a gift from my wife last Xmas) and I love it.

But This one? Leaves a very bad taste. When they’re cloning current models which aren’t even particularly expensive, just go buy the original. I’d never buy a B stomp box instead of a Boss.

But I realise I am a hypocrite, picking and choosing which products are ok to rip off.

• @cyberheater said:
    From FB

Arturia and Behringer both have licences to produce it from its designer, an independent company called DesignBox.

Oh. That makes a big difference. It shows the value of not jumping to conclusions too.

• To criticize Behringer from an Apple device is sort of like condemning livestock slaughter while enjoying a hamburger. Also hamburger hipocrisy if you own any Chinese pedal clones (jojo, mooer), or Thomann (Harley Benton...), or buy at Amazon,

• I was more shocked about the Crave being a Mother 32. And that for a quarter of the price. Allthough I love the Moog apps their hardware is to expensive for me. I am sure the eurorack modular world is happy with their more affordable offerings.

Also remember the comotion about Arturia using the open source code for plaits in their Micro Freak. I love that Micro Freak, even more then my Deepmind...

The swing will go very well with their new arp 2600.

• @cyberheater said:
    From FB

Actually this puts it into perspective. So basically there is a design that is sold to Arturia to use for a certain period with exclusivity rights. After that time expires another company can buy the license and produce it. Sounds fair and makes the rip off accusation invalid.

It makes sense as I’ve been seeing mini lab replicas on eBay for half the price but I’m always wary of the software not being up to scratch.

Still, they could have improved it somewhat. To me, not enough controls on it.

• The terms of their licence may not allow them to improve the design.

• @cyberheater said:
    From FB

The question for me is: why didn't Behringer mention this in their presentation? It is obvious for anyone that the design is identical to the one Arturia used in their original Keystep. Do they simply not care or is it just another publicity stunt according to the old saying "There is no such thing as bad publicity"?

• edited November 2020

@cyberheater said:
    From FB

This would make a whole hell of allot of sense! but...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ralis said:

@cyberheater said:
    From FB

This makes a whole hell of allot of sense!

Can we please put down the torches and pitchforks. Behringer is marketing this to people that do not own the Arturia or may not be aware of it. Of course there will be some cross markets. Licensing is nothing new many companies license the right to sell a product and even have the same factory make the product and just stamp their name on it. It is not illegals or immoral if you pay for the right to do it.
    Look at sound bars or stereo receivers, TV’s-Pyle, pioneer, teac etc all the same just a different brand name. The same thing with clothes. Sure license their mics to many other companies no one is screaming for their heads.

I don't know that it's just totally fine? Arturia's response on Twitter was pretty sharp.

• I agree with the points made of Ipad musicians bashing Behringer doesnt hold much water.
    Uli B gets painted like some sort of dastardly pantomime baddy, whilst we don't mention the Apple factories suicide nets or Apples known corporate bullying techniques. That reeks of double standards to me. Its fair to say some of the most vocal against Uli B have a "conflict of interests".
    After bashing Uli and ignoring low paid workers splattered blood stains on Apples factory footpaths, we all get really excited when the next 909 or whatever clone app comes next.
    We ignore the bits about Apple that we dont like, due to the Ipads convenience, and low priced apps, many of which are clones of hardware still onsale.
    Personally, i will ignore the bits people don't like about Uli B too, because i'm consistent with my logic.
    "hey dont buy behringer.. its unethical maaan". Its virtue signalling. Nothing else to it.

I'm not sure the design being licensed by Behringher is true or speculation and I'm not convinced the design of the Keystep is unique enough for a design patent - laws vary around the world, in my opinion the Keystep looks like the Samson Graphite M32 (from 2014) is its Dad.

I think This situation isnt a million miles from insisting a plain white rectangular toaster with browning knob control and cancel button is a unique design that shouldnt be copied.

Maybe the keystep is just a generic, derivative keyboard with 64 step sequencer etc. A bit like how an ascii keyboard with multimedia controls is a norm, or a gerber style multitool or a swiss army knife rip off are common place.
    Yup, it's a copy, such a thing occurs regularly. The keystep was good enough for the money and its become a yardstick.. a standard.
    I dont think many people will pay Uli Bs suggested price either. Why would you when The Arturias just 10$ more?.. so it will be cheaper if manufactured, markets do this, lower prices when things dont sell.