Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone considering going M1 Air instead of iPad, in future?

Anyone considering not getting an iPad again in future, but instead simply using an M1 Air for the same job?

In a way, I think Apple should have released a MacBook Air in exactly the same kind of form factor as a modern iPad Pro + keyboard thingy. That’d have blurred the boundaries.

Comments

• I’d miss the touch experience of I pad...

• When it has a tactile surface yes.
    It means around 2027 or sooner if iPad sales falls.

• Not instead of, but as well as...
    Am interested to know out of curiosity if you can use an external touch screen with an M1 Mac + ipad apps and if this touch enables the apps.

• @u0421793 said:
    Anyone considering not getting an iPad again in future, but instead simply using an M1 Air for the same job?

In a way, I think Apple should have released a MacBook Air in exactly the same kind of form factor as a modern iPad Pro + keyboard thingy. That’d have blurred the boundaries.

That's why Apple didn't release something like an iPad Pro but kept the new devices looking exactly like the devices they replace. They are trying to drive user expectations to two separate user experiences.

There are going to be some people who currently use iPads to do what the Air better fits and they'll make the move. On the other hand, I know someone who got excited about the new Air and decided to get one yesterday and ended up ordering an iPad instead.

• What I am confused about (I've seen a lot of hyped reviews now etc) is that some are saying that the new M1 audio capability (1000+ plugins running in Logic) is because the ipad chips have been so good with audio...

But this makes me scratch my head, iPad audio efficiency is fairly mediocre I think with no where near that amount of plugins being able to run, so does this mean iOS is the problem? or will we see much more unlocked audio potential in next gen ipads which are based more in line with the new M1s?

• @Carnbot said:
    What I am confused about (I've seen a lot of hyped reviews now etc) is that some are saying that the new M1 audio capability (1000+ plugins running in Logic) is because the ipad chips have been so good with audio...

But this makes me scratch my head, iPad audio efficiency is fairly mediocre I think with no where near that amount of plugins being able to run, so does this mean iOS is the problem? or will we see much more unlocked audio potential in next gen ipads which are based more in line with the new M1s?

There are several problems with iOS for audio. The base OS is pretty much the same, so you get the high priority audio threading and stuff like that. But, plugins in iOS have to run in a sandbox as a separate process from the host. This is a big performance hit. Another thing that usually is true is that on iOS devices are using the class-compliant USB drivers. Apple's drivers are really good, but even on macOS, using the custom drivers for my MOTU has much lower latency than with the generic USB drivers. There are also some pretty heavy memory limitations on apps and plugins in iOS.

Apple has introduced some new threading constructs for working with audio in the new libraries, these may end up helping with performance on iOS too, but I don't know how much yet.

• @Carnbot said:
    Not instead of, but as well as...
    Am interested to know out of curiosity if you can use an external touch screen with an M1 Mac + ipad apps and if this touch enables the apps.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Also, how well does trackpad multi-touch map to iOS apps using gestures? Lots of iOS apps are going to be nearly useless on the Mac if this doesn't work well. It's a real pain to work with in the simulator for Xcode when I'm developing iOS apps. If that experience is close to what's happening with iOS apps on macOS, it's not going to be good.

• @Carnbot said:
    What I am confused about (I've seen a lot of hyped reviews now etc) is that some are saying that the new M1 audio capability (1000+ plugins running in Logic) is because the ipad chips have been so good with audio...

The M1 is basically an A14x. The next iPad SOC will be the same minus a few extra chips iPad don’t need.

Logic performance figures are shown using built in plug ins which are often magnitudes of order more efficient than third party AUs. And iPads don’t have logic.

iOS does prioritise efficiency over performance. Mac OS doesn’t. Also the extra RAM Macs have (even M1 Macs which Max out at 16Gb) helps a bit.

What is clear though is that the Apple SOCs are a huge upgrade over Intel. The future for the Mac and iPad processors is bright.

Im quite surprised how little the processor of the M1s seems to be throttled in the air too. The efficiency cores are very powerful, and the performance cores don’t need to slow too much to avoid overheating.

But yes. Logic, even running in my 2016 Intel MacBook Pro, feels way more powerful than anything on iOS. Then again it is way more powerful.

I don’t try and use iOS as I use the Mac.

And yeah, I’m more inclined to get a Mac than an iPad for music. Much more so.

• Not especially. I’ve owned an iPad for ten years - my current 2018 Pro is my third. I’ve never owned a personal laptop.

• I would probably my an MacBook Air instead of upgrading my ipad 11 (2018 512gb).

The prices of ram and ssd upgrades for MacBook are eye watering though!
    (I don’t think 256gb ssd is enough)

• Does anyone use an Apple Mouse or Apple Trackpad on their iPad (remember the mouse support appeared not long ago)

• @klownshed said:

@Carnbot said:

The M1 is basically an A14x. The next iPad SOC will be the same minus a few extra chips iPad don’t need.

Logic performance figures are shown using built in plug ins which are often magnitudes of order more efficient than third party AUs. And iPads don’t have logic.

Yeah the reviews are pretty frustrating because so far they are all about benchmarks which don't always relate to real world use from pros. Most are just from Youtube bloggers.
    But I am used to the difference in performance from desktop OS to iOS, I use many software with Graphics + audio including Ableton but it's why I'm frustrated with ipad audio performance.
    But hoping that the combined development of IOS and MacOs on the same chip will improve ipad performance significantly going forward :)

What remains to be seen how good it works with multiple intensive desktop apps running simultaneously which is often my use case.

For me these Macs will always be a secondary computer because they are too locked in, restricted graphically and non adaptable as a base machine. But because I need multiple computers for different situations one of these can fit into workflow quite nicely I think. Especially as I can use my ipad apps on them :)

@Jelleebean said:
    I would probably my an MacBook Air instead of upgrading my ipad 11 (2018 512gb).

The prices of ram and ssd upgrades for MacBook are eye watering though!
    (I don’t think 256gb ssd is enough)

Yes they are saving a tonne of money with removing Intel from the equation but not reducing prices at all really, hoping these performance boosts will be enough for people.

So if I was to buy a MacPro I would need to spend at least 2K as the base is not enough ram and SSD so suddenly these new improvements are not that great value any more

@NeonSilicon said:
    Apple has introduced some new threading constructs for working with audio in the new libraries, these may end up helping with performance on iOS too, but I don't know how much yet.

Fingers crossed this will help :)

• This is quite useful info. It seems for video if you're using h264, h265 and Pro res (a lot of consumers) which are optimised for M1 then performance is great, otherwise not so good.

• My wife was recuperating from surgery months ago and wanted a pre-M1Air (which was on sale at Best Buy at the time). Once she was back on her feet she kind of abandoned it, and I seized the opportunity to purchase and explore Logic Pro X. I've had no performance problems with it (my mixes aren't that sophisticated.. yet).

In the process, I've discovered that the interop between the iPad Pro and the Mac is amazing. My workflow now generally revolves around creating audio content on the iPad (mostly) and using LPX as the main DAW. For that reason, I would probably consider an M1 Air in the future, but I don't think I could ever completely abandon the iPad. It's just too convenient, and after purchasing so many great apps, I can still use their sounds in my LPX mixes. I've read about the M1's ability to run iPad apps, but I assume if you were to go that route, you'd be doing a lot more app switching if the M1 was your only device.

• I’m more thinking of alongside as well, my old dual Xeon Mac Pro is still serviceable but the benchmarks of these new wee beasties is at least double of that and I’m stuck a couple of OSs back on that, Al with space and electricity saved and being able to idam as well as use the pencil like my cintiq it seems like a no brainer... I’m just waiting to see how graphics software I use for work stacks up and if I can sneak an Apple employee discount from somewhere...

• I would like an iPad the size of an iMac and all apps on all machines. I have this with Gadget and it is absolutely great how all platforms synchronize. You can edit the same project on your phone, the tablet or on the desktop. Eventhough I have Logic on my iMac and I use it for final production I use Gadget far more often because it is to accsessible and always in reach if you have an idea everywhere you are.

• When Apple builds a laptop that can be repaired, I’ll… probably still not buy one. A desktop computer + iPad is the sweet spot for me. If I need to do serious work, I can stay put in one place. If I need to be mobile, I can be properly mobile and still have a touch and pen-enabled display. A macbook is the worst of both worlds, and they break so much! No need for one.

• No, I am keeping my iPad and getting an M1 Mac Mini. I’m not traveling much these days anyway and I’m mostly invested in iPad apps anyway. I’ve been barely using desktop for music, though I just bought Logic. I’m hoping at least a few of these iOS plugins will work on the Mac.

• Waiting for more benchmarks like how it does with VCVRack. Maybe go for M2. That said, been using Windows more recently, and the drivers are so much better than when I went towards iOS 100% a few years ago. Getting decent performance with a 2012 desktop with updated drivers.

• @u0421793 said:
    Does anyone use an Apple Mouse or Apple Trackpad on their iPad (remember the mouse support appeared not long ago)

I really wanted mouse support before it came out. In practice I find it not all that useful compared to just using the touchscreen. It would be helpful perhaps for someone that does a lot of midi editing/timeline work but even then I think the pencil does a much better job.

• @u0421793 said:
    Does anyone use an Apple Mouse or Apple Trackpad on their iPad (remember the mouse support appeared not long ago)

I love it for text editing, and for using keyboard shortcuts. The trackpad is great for text, switching apps, using contextual menus, and so on. I prefer touch for more accurate work. It’s a great combo though. Trackpad doesn’t replace touch, but offers a compelling alternative that’s better at some things.

• I just got n M1 Mac mini to replace an old iMac. I will try iPad apps on it, but for me the biggest features are things like airdrop, and other integrations. Also stoked about trying Logic sequencer with the iPad remote.

This is the perfect setup for me. A desktop mac and an iPad. No need for a MacBook. I find the iPad to be way more flexible, and when I want to do mac-only stuff, big screen is usually better.

• So, I guess this M1 thing and ios apps throws everything up in the air now?

• @RajahP said:
    So, I guess this M1 thing and ios apps throws everything up in the air now?

Not yet. I

would not buy an M1 Mac to run iOs apps on. I think it’s a feature best thought of as not yet ready for prime time. But it gives iOS developers a chance to plan what they will do if they want their apps on the Mac. Some of them might thing catalyst is the way to go (which Mac-ifies iPad apps with things like proper Mac controls and menus).

The future for both Mac and iOS looks good to me but there is a bit of a mess in the crossover at the moment.

• @klownshed said:

@RajahP said:
    So, I guess this M1 thing and ios apps throws everything up in the air now?

Not yet. I

would not buy an M1 Mac to run iOs apps on. I think it’s a feature best thought of as not yet ready for prime time. But it gives iOS developers a chance to plan what they will do if they want their apps on the Mac. Some of them might thing catalyst is the way to go (which Mac-ifies iPad apps with things like proper Mac controls and menus).

The future for both Mac and iOS looks good to me but there is a bit of a mess in the crossover at the moment.

Paying attention to see how this develops... as a PC guy..

• I'm Hackintoshing, just waiting for the USB stick with the OS on to turn up. I do think it's a good call though.

• Does it work ok?

• In the same camp as the mac mini / future Apple silicon iMac camp. Because of young kids and lack of time + space, there's not a compelling reason to get engrained in any kind of desktop workflow. But... the 5-10 year plan is to pick up a Mac desktop of some kind, continue using iPad and make heavy use of IDAM and all the Core Midi/Audio goodness to feed stuff to Reason.

That's the dream at least. We'll see! A lot changes in five years lol..

• When I use my iPad Pro, it always has the keyboard cover folded out in front of it. It’s never been used any other way.