Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland Sound Canvas missing from store

Am I making a mistake, or Sound Canvas by Roland was removed from App Store?

Comments

• Hopefully it will be replaced with an updated version...
    ...I would hate to loose that app in case I get a new iPad and had 'disappeared' from my purchase history.

• looking at the store page from my purchase history, it straight up says it doesn't work on iOS 14. so you're not seeing it in the app store because you're on an unsupported OS now

hopefully Roland updates it, but I don't have high hopes

• @The_Bard_sRc said:
    looking at the store page from my purchase history, it straight up says it doesn't work on iOS 14. so you're not seeing it in the app store because you're on an unsupported OS now

But it works on iOS 14!

• And it is still missing :'(

• I'm actually restoring my iPad Air 2 running iOS 13.5.7 on a brand new Pro 11" that I've been forced to update to iPadOS 14.3.
    SOUND Canvas has just been installed and loads correctly too.
    The only apps which seem to be lost forever for me, and that I will miss a lot, are Diode108 and Flux:FX 😭😩.

• @Gratouilli said:
    I'm actually restoring my iPad Air 2 running iOS 13.5.7 on a brand new Pro 11" that I've been forced to update to iPadOS 14.3.
    SOUND Canvas has just been installed and loads correctly too.

Good to know, thank you. I bought these sounds and I'm not done with them.

@ecstaticax - Roland has a habit of repackaging its considerable IP, so this won't be the end of the story. I expect it signals the end of the SOUND Canvas app, though. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if SC sound packs turned up within the Zenbeats/ZENOLOGY/ZEN-Core store(s), but they won't want to step on the toes of the new-ish VST version, so who knows?

You can try googling for sf2 soundfonts if you're desperate, or look to KORG's iM1, which covers a lot of the same ground.

I think if I had the time/money/room to start a rack, I'd get an XV-5080.

• @ecstaticax said:

@The_Bard_sRc said:
    looking at the store page from my purchase history, it straight up says it doesn't work on iOS 14. so you're not seeing it in the app store because you're on an unsupported OS now

But it works on iOS 14!

I've noticed there's actualy some bugs with it on iOS 14, which is probly why they removed it. trying to load the builtin demo MIDIs is just a mess, and theyre not sending the PC's to it so the instrument doesnt change to what the demo is supposed to be using. so my guess is Roland ran into problems with that, and wrote off the whole app as not compatible for now even though it's usable to be drivien by MIDI commands. consiering the app was originally just a MIDI file player and the actual use we have of it now was added later, that may be why

• Roland's web page for it says it's discontinued, so I guess no update is coming.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/sound_canvas_for_ios/

• I just updated from IOS 13 to IOS 14.6 and Sound Canvas no longer works I was just wondering if there is anyone out there running IOS 14, who are still able to use Sound Canvas?
    I particularly loved some of the guitar sounds on SC , so does anyone have any alternative recommendations? I do already have BS-16i and THU, but was wondering if there is anything I have overlooked that offers decent guitar sounds , preferably in the Funk sounding genre ?

• @Musicfan said:
    I just updated from IOS 13 to IOS 14.6 and Sound Canvas no longer works I was just wondering if there is anyone out there running IOS 14, who are still able to use Sound Canvas?

You should be able to delete it from the iPad/iPhone and re-download from your purchased items list.
    That is what I did when iOS/iPadOS14.6 was released, It still works...

The problem is that the app has not been updated in ages (and Roland has officially dropped support for it) and it currently lacks a proper certificate to run. Deleting/re-downloading it will fix it even if there's no longer a way to purchase the app.

Good luck!
    (I still have Soundcanvas installed on both my iPhone 8 and iPad Air 2 both running iOS/iPadOS14.6).

• @Samu Thank you so much, I will try that. The last time I encountered this issue with another app that was no longer supported or available , I used the iMazing program to reinstall the app from my backup and it worked like a charm

• edited July 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:
    https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/opl-auv3-fm-synth/id1516617949

Maybe I’m wrong and I wasn’t a sound canvas user but isnt this a different but decent alternative ?

I remember using OPL3 presets 20 years ago on my computer (Yamaha soundcard), it was very similar to GM sounds.

It’s a giant difference. OPL3 presets on sound cards were good for videogames, but not suitable for professional play. SoundCanvas was a professional product used all around the world for midi songs in pianobar and simple live executions.
    It’s very bad Roland does not suppor SoundCanvas app anymore, and I don’t understand why.

• @ecstaticax said:
    It’s very bad Roland does not suppor SoundCanvas app anymore, and I don’t understand why.

I would guess the "why" is that it wasn't making them enough money to make it worth committing the resources to update it for new operating systems.

iM1, Thumbjam, and Sampletank are some that come to mind as possible replacements. Though while they may have similar "multimbral rompler" functionalities, they will not sound the same.

• @anotherscott2 said:

@ecstaticax said:

I would guess the "why" is that it wasn't making them enough money to make it worth committing the resources to update it for new operating systems.

iM1, Thumbjam, and Sampletank are some that come to mind as possible replacements. Though while they may have similar "multimbral rompler" functionalities, they will not sound the same.

In the 90s there was a giant production of GM midi files, and many of them were also GS compatible (gs was a sub-standard of “general midi” created by Roland with their Sound Canvas expanders). Actually, if you search for a midi song on the net, it’s 99% it will be general midi compatible. SoundCanvas was 100% with such files, it was like a CD player for the billions of CDs still around in the world. There are a lot of GM sound fonts, but they will never sound like the Roland original one. Even hardware expanders GM compatible by Yamaha and Korg did not sound so good like the Roland ones.
    SoundCanvas app was perfectly compatible with new iOS releases, it’s very strange. Probably they want to exit the market, with the exception of their daw, that they didn’t create from scratch, but adapted from another older app.

• Sound Canvas is now only available through Roland Cloud premium membership from what I can tell.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Sound Canvas is now only available through Roland Cloud premium membership from what I can tell.

But not on iOS..

• @ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Sound Canvas is now only available through Roland Cloud premium membership from what I can tell.

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

Even if I think that actually latest iOS systems could easily manage such kind of software.

• @ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

Even if I think that actually latest iOS systems could easily manage such kind of software.

I’m pretty sure this is about revenue vs maintenance cost rather than iOS capability.

• @MadGav said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

I’m pretty sure this is about revenue vs maintenance cost rather than iOS capability.

Has to be. You can't even buy it outright. Only have access via a premium membership.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@MadGav said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

Has to be. You can't even buy it outright. Only have access via a premium membership.

Are you sure?

https://www.thomann.de/it/roland_cloud_sound_canvas_va.htm

• @anotherscott2 said:

Also, Pure Synth Platinum

• BS-16i is one of the few viable options for 'SoundCanvas' replacement as it's 16 part multi-timbral and responds to GM specific Midi CC's...

• Sound canvas has always provided great sample fodder. Luv the fact you can screen record then drop it into koala so easily.

I would ultimately love for it to turn into a AU

• @stormywaterz said:
    Sound canvas has always provided great sample fodder.

+1

It's really quick to make sample chains going through its browser. You can even tune the preview button (with 'K Shift').

• Possibly Korg M1 would be a good replacement.

• @cyberheater said:
    Possibly Korg M1 would be a good replacement.

M1 was not GS compatible. O3/R was, but there's no app.

• @ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@MadGav said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@ecstaticax said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

But not on iOS..

Yeah desktop only.

Are you sure?

https://www.thomann.de/it/roland_cloud_sound_canvas_va.htm

I wasn't sure lol. Just saw it on Roland Cloud and their synths have a lifetime key option. Which this didn't. Also found it on sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RCldCanvas--roland-sound-canvas-synthesizer-software