Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for an AUV3 Host that's as simple as Gadget [SOLVED]

edited November 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi folks,

I was digging around in Gadget lately after I omitted it for months and I wondered if there's an AUV3 host that is similar in its simplicity like Gadget. I have tons of effects and synth auv3 apps and I love the generative aspect and modular approach of AUM as any other but the interface is kind of cluttered and I can't seem to build a song properly. Where on the other side Gadget is more focused on song structure but hasn't the right sounds I'm looking for.

I'm really undecisive at the moment whether to go all into Gadget again and ditch all those other apps or maybe I'm missing something? I've also tried Beatmaker 3 but it's really painful to go through all these hoops to finish a song. It's taking forever it seems... any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• If you can get your songs done in Gadget, but like the sounds you get from stuff running in AUM, you could try switching out all your gadgets to Taipei gadgets so you can send the Midi to AUM.

• @osKar I would have switched already if a straightforward alternative existed. It all works so well together inside Gadget that I'd rather spend my time composing than finding one workaround after another...

• ok, I‘ll give the Taipi gadget a try - thanks @CracklePot
    exporting to midi might also be an alternative.

@rs2000 yeah that‘s probably true. I have yet to try out all those workarounds first before I make that decision though.

• Zenbeats might be worth looking at

• Honestly I haven‘t looked at Zenbeats yet. It‘s free so why not. Thanks for your advice!

• Try Garageband

• Woah, I haven‘t followed the developement of Garageband since iOS 9.3! Thanks this might be just what I was looking for.

• Nanostudio2 is the other app I took to immediately, just like gadget.

• Does NS2 support AUV3s? I thought it has its own things going with the Obsidian Synth and so on... again I learned a thing here - thanks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @osKar said:
    Does NS2 support AUV3s? I thought it has its own things going with the Obsidian Synth and so on... again I learned a thing here - thanks!

Yes, just not audio tracks. But Gadget doesn’t have them either.

• Cubasis 3 is the most straight forward in my opinion. Very simple to use DAW.

• Drambo, once it has AU hosting and piano roll I think it could have a similar workflow to Gadget for pattern based sequencing.

• I recommend checking out LK if you haven’t.
    You can try it for free, and it is on sale at the moment for the IAPs, making it a great deal.
    Also, Atom 2 when it gets here should be incredible.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@ecamburn said:

@osKar said:
    Does NS2 support AUV3s? I thought it has its own things going with the Obsidian Synth and so on... again I learned a thing here - thanks!

Gadget does have Zurich for audio tracks.

• Thanks everybody for your recommendations!
    Drambo is definitely on my wishlist! I‘ll check out LK for sure.
    I forgot that I bought NS2 during the sale. so that‘s something to try out as well. I didn‘t have the time yet to explore all the possibilities.
    Thanks guys!

• @osKar By the way, there's a little library of NS2 sound banks done by different users on
    https://patchstorage.com/platform/nanostudio/

• nice tip! that library is quite huge. :-)

oh and if ModStep wouldn‘t crash on me that often it would be my top contender! btw Is there any news on ModStep v2?

• @osKar said:
    nice tip! that library is quite huge. :-)

oh and if ModStep wouldn‘t crash on me that often it would be my top contender! btw Is there any news on ModStep v2?

It's one of the numerous apps that have been announced forever and then nothing.

AUM+LK+Drambo are my personal ModStep 2 now.

• Aaw what a shame about Modstep 2... :-(

Anyways, NS2 is a killer app! if it gets audio tracks, it will be a good companion for my Circuit I guess.

LK seems quite powerful but I have no need for it at the moment anymore. I‘m sticking with NS2 for now.

Sidenote: Man, I already shed out too much money on presets. I wonder which apps will get discounted in the coming days. I hope for Drambo.

• I had the same issue when using korg gadget. Once I started with aum I decided to setup Xequence 2 together with AB. Its the perfect complete editor combo for midi. Sorry, no audiotracks, but this workflow has given me much more freedom than I had in korg gadget.

• yes I got Xequence 2 as well, but I have problems setting up the midi channels and the whole thing. I believe it is a powerful tool though. It‘s just not that intuitive to work with

• edited November 2020

@wim said:

@ecamburn said:

@osKar said:

Gadget does have Zurich for audio tracks.

Ah, forgot about that gadget. Pretty limited implementation of an audio track IMO but it’s there. Apologies to OP if what I wrote was misleading

• no problem! I think I found now my goto-DAW of choice in NS2.
    workarounds are not necessary anymore me thinks

• NS2 Sequencer is very similar to Gadget. Hosts AU's. Easy and quick to use though no Audiotracks is holding it back from greatness.

• The piano roll controls in NS2 are so clean. I love the little “handles” on the side for moving notes around and changing velocity, etc (not sure what they’re called).

I agree with whomever said Cubasis is the simplest most straight-forward DAW available on iOS. I just can never make anything worth listening to in Cubasis for some reason. Something about the user experience seems to take any nugget of creativity that might be blooming and swiftly flushes it down the toilet. It could have to do with the way the piano roll reacts to the Apple Pencil - I cannot get it to play nice. I hope one day to be able to change my experience there as I can tell there’s a lot of strong capability just waiting to be used.

• @Obo said:
    The piano roll controls in NS2 are so clean. I love the little “handles” on the side for moving notes around and changing velocity, etc (not sure what they’re called).

I agree with whomever said Cubasis is the simplest most straight-forward DAW available on iOS. I just can never make anything worth listening to in Cubasis for some reason. Something about the user experience seems to take any nugget of creativity that might be blooming and swiftly flushes it down the toilet. It could have to do with the way the piano roll reacts to the Apple Pencil - I cannot get it to play nice. I hope one day to be able to change my experience there as I can tell there’s a lot of strong capability just waiting to be used.

That was me, and it’s funny because that’s the only DAW I seem to be able to really make something in.

• @DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:
    The piano roll controls in NS2 are so clean. I love the little “handles” on the side for moving notes around and changing velocity, etc (not sure what they’re called).

That was me, and it’s funny because that’s the only DAW I seem to be able to really make something in.

So you went from disliking Cubasis to where now it’s your go to? Anything specific you figured out that changed things?

• @Obo said:

@DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:

So you went from disliking Cubasis to where now it’s your go to? Anything specific you figured out that changed things?

Yeah would also like to know where this koolaid is so I can drink it too. On paper, Cubasis 3 is everything I want. In practice, I always end up... so.... aaaueeeurrruugghhhh.....

• edited November 2020

@Obo said:

@DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:

No sorry, I meant it was me who said that. I’ve liked it from the beginning, though it definitely had issues at first.

I learned music production on Sequel, another Steinberg product, so their style is familiar to me. And it’s just the most full featured DAW on iOS right now. It has audio tracks and you can automate AUv3. It comes with some decent native synths, samples, and effects as well as IAPs. It’s super easy to airdrop projects between devices. I start most projects on my iPhone and finish them on my iPad. I’ve also finished several entirely on my phone. It’s super easy to play on the piano roll or punch notes in and adjust them. I find it a lot more friendly than NS2’s piano roll. I’ve also had the fewest issues with AUv3 scaling. Zenbeats, NS2, and AUM all have some weirdness with how some AUs are displayed. CB3 has been super consistent.

Edit: everything on my Spotify channel has been done in Cubasis 3 https://open.spotify.com/artist/4QdkHVRyeWXy4wVJDE0UhQ?si=BlgkH4eqTKGrcPOUGbpFEQ

One note, I don’t mix/master in CB3. I prefer to mixdown the individual tracks and do the rest in AUM. Mostly from a resourcing perspective. AUM is super light and I tend to be a bit heavy with the AU effects.