Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How best to slow down / time-stretch audio?

I'm interested in working with some slowed down and stretched sounds, particularly piano and other ambient instruments.

Is AudioStretch the best app for this, or are there other, better apps, or do any of the DAWs or other apps offer these features?

Sorry, I must have missed the other posts in my search. Hope this isn't duplicating too much. I'll look again now.

Comments

• I think this was discussed before and many consider Audiostetch the best. Wait til a few more people chine in, you never know, maybe Drambo can do this now 😜

• @Gavinski said:
    I think this was discussed before and many consider Audiostetch the best. Wait til a few more people chine in, you never know, maybe Drambo can do this now 😜

Thanks @Gavinski. I haven't tried Drambo yet. Not sure if it's for me or not. But wondering if there's something that is a better investment than Audiostretch?

• To a degree you can use Aum for that too (in case you are using samples/audio files)

• Gauss can slow audio down to 0.01x with grid snap off, which is the same as AudioStretch. The only difference is that AudioStretch decouples the speed shifting from pitch shifting (the two are independent) whereas Gauss acts more like a tape machine and lowers the pitch as it slows audio down.

• @david_2017 said:
    To a degree you can use Aum for that too (in case you are using samples/audio files)

By slowing down the bpm? This will cause pitch changes though, I think there is no way to stretch in AUM without changing pitch, is there?I think the OP is looking for ability to stretch without changing pitch as well, if I understood the original message correctly

• @Gavinski said:

@david_2017 said:
    To a degree you can use Aum for that too (in case you are using samples/audio files)

By slowing down the bpm? This will cause pitch changes though, I think there is no way to stretch in AUM without changing pitch, is there?I think the OP is looking for ability to stretch without changing pitch as well, if I understood the original message correctly

Yes, you have that right @Gavinski, thanks.

• What about multitrack recorder?

Havent used. Maybe it has time stretch. Maybe you can also put audio on a channel. Then put audio on another channel at exact time other channel ends.

Ideally.

• Audio Evolution Mobile, TwistedWave, Auditor, BlocsWave, Amazing Slow Downer (Lite), Cubasis, Drambo re-pitch plus pitch shift = time stretch...
    My experience is that it's worth to try different ones if you want good quality. Different material requires different algorithms.

• AudioStretch

• edited November 2020

Audiostretch is the definitely the most straightforward. Auditor is also a good option, but it has a lot of functions and has more of a learning curve. Cubasis has active stretch, so you can enable that and then export as a wav. I believe Beatmaker 3 has a decent stretching algorithm as well, but I haven't used it.

Can Novation's Blocs Wave import long audio files, stretch and export also?

• Thanks everyone. I've downloaded Audiostretch lite and will upgrade if it works for me. I love the simplicity of the app. If I want more complex, I can combine it with other apps and effects. It's enough.

• Right, I was reading that he was searching for a solution to slow things down... e.g. „halfspeed is the best speed“ (Hainbach 2019) :)

Just one comment: love your picture you took in the first post! Really emotional. Nice shot!

@andowrites said:

@Gavinski said:

@david_2017 said:

Yes, you have that right @Gavinski, thanks.

• Does audiostretch sound as good as Beatmaker 3 for time stretching?

• edited November 2020

Meditation (or drugs or sex or misery or loathing or double physics homework).

• edited November 2020

Just adding to the list of options.

4pockets SlowMoFX

Also granular synthesizers can slow down (and reverse) samples. FRMS and SpaceCraft come to mind

• @audiblevideo said:
    Just adding to the list of options.

4pockets SlowMoFX

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• Someone suggested elsewhere (Facebook iPad Musician group) that I try Auditor Audio Editor.

Can anyone share experience with Auditor for this usage? I use other audio editors on my Mac for basic podcast editing etc, so I could sure make use of such a tool on the iPad.

• @andowrites said:
    Someone suggested elsewhere (Facebook iPad Musician group) that I try Auditor Audio Editor.

Can anyone share experience with Auditor for this usage? I use other audio editors on my Mac for basic podcast editing etc, so I could sure make use of such a tool on the iPad.

Auditor is a great app. You can search this forum to see discussions of it. For general audio editing (that doesn't involve applying effects), it is the most full-featured audio editor available for iOS. It also has some handy loop creation, slicing, spectrum analysis, and pitch/time effects.

• @espiegel123 said:

@andowrites said:
    Someone suggested elsewhere (Facebook iPad Musician group) that I try Auditor Audio Editor.

Auditor is a great app. You can search this forum to see discussions of it. For general audio editing (that doesn't involve applying effects), it is the most full-featured audio editor available for iOS. It also has some handy loop creation, slicing, spectrum analysis, and pitch/time effects.

So it sounds a useful tool for my work in general, as I'm by profession a writer, meditation teacher and podcaster, and besides making ambient music for my own delight, and my students, I edit audio for the podcast, and for recorded meditations. It could be really useful for this by the looks of it. I'm just working through the manual now.

My main wondering is if I would still find AudioStretch of use or not if I had Auditor? No need to buy both if I can avoid it.

• @andowrites said:

@espiegel123 said:

@andowrites said:

So it sounds a useful tool for my work in general, as I'm by profession a writer, meditation teacher and podcaster, and besides making ambient music for my own delight, and my students, I edit audio for the podcast, and for recorded meditations. It could be really useful for this by the looks of it. I'm just working through the manual now.

My main wondering is if I would still find AudioStretch of use or not if I had Auditor? No need to buy both if I can avoid it.

I don't have audiostretch -- so, I can't comment.

One thing to know about Auditor is that it does not handle long files well -- the programmer has said that he is going to rewrite the engine in order to handle them well. It was written with smaller files in mind.

And while it has layers, it was not intended as a DAW. That being said, when I put together instructional videos, I often use it for editing multiple voiceover takes into single takes.

• @espiegel123 said:

One thing to know about Auditor is that it does not handle long files well -- the programmer has said that he is going to rewrite the engine in order to handle them well. It was written with smaller files in mind.

Do you know what the maximum length is?

• @andowrites said:

@espiegel123 said:

Not sure. It will depend on the RAM in the iPad. I have an iPad 6 and have used auditor a fair amount for snipping bits out of 10 minute jams. It wasn't happy when I tried to work with a 40 minute audio file.

• @espiegel123 said:

@andowrites said:

@espiegel123 said:

Not sure. It will depend on the RAM in the iPad. I have an iPad 6 and have used auditor a fair amount for snipping bits out of 10 minute jams. It wasn't happy when I tried to work with a 40 minute audio file.

Thanks, that’s helpful to know.

• Anytune pro is my favorite. I use it all the time to learn all those little details of a song that I like to cover.

https://apps.apple.com/es/app/anytune-pro/id478293637

• Was looking into this topic recently again. Would anytune pro top the quality of Audiostretch? @Atlesbe Definitely Audiostretch is better than anything else I tried (eg Segments) and although Auditor manual says it would get stretching in an update, it looks like it never got that update, did it? Anything better than audiostretch these days? AUv3 that can be loaded in FX slot would be particularly welcome, but must be top quality, which rules out Segments, sadly.

• Example with audiostretch:

• from all my tests, Audiostretch (as Gav shows) is the best on iOS so far...

• Koala Sampler could be a good alternative.

• edited May 2021

israelite:
    Koala's is great qualitywise BUT is not realtime playable!

• @Gavinski said:
    Was looking into this topic recently again. Would anytune pro top the quality of Audiostretch? @Atlesbe Definitely Audiostretch is better than anything else I tried (eg Segments) and although Auditor manual says it would get stretching in an update, it looks like it never got that update, did it? Anything better than audiostretch these days? AUv3 that can be loaded in FX slot would be particularly welcome, but must be top quality, which rules out Segments, sadly.

From what I recall, Audiostretch is the better option. Anytune was fine when there was no competition.
    I had it on another account which now belongs to my nephew when I gave him my older ipad. :tongue:
    So no way to test it now, unfortunately