Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

daily screen capture jams (post and listen)

Comments

• @nickneek cool!! Love the Ice Works!!

• @aleyas said:
    Man, I didn’t even think to use the morph scenes! Glad I shared it cause now ya’ll are giving me ideas 🙌🏻

@Krupa said:

@reasOne said:

@aleyas said:
    @reasOne @onerez @Krupa
    You guys showed some interest in the project, so here it is! The Polydrone is finished. I'm kinda proud of this one, so I hope you guys enjoy playing it! Pairs extremely well with Gauss, loopers, and modulation fx. The next thing I want to do is map the faders to my nanokontrol 2 and play it physically.
    https://patchstorage.com/polydrone-ambient-instrument/

Features:
    2 octaves of playable faders
    Tuning of 7 scale modes + harmonic minor available with quick scale selector
    'Character' from pitch shifting down (2) saturated sine oscillators.
    Tone control from pre saturation + wave shaping.
    Midi control over every parameter.

Here's a demo of it soloing over Gauss (check out the harmonic minor at 3:30)

dude there it is! so ready to jam on this after work! this is a great idea and creative thinking, thanks for sharing the project man!!! downloading now!!

It works really nicely with the A/B fader as a way to move between chords, great work, it is indeed like a mellow fundamental...

Marvellous, tbh it’s the first time I’ve used them properly as well, I was trying to change chord and remembered that their was a feature for that :)

• @onerez said:
    @nickneek cool!! Love the Ice Works!!

Thanks. I especially like kroniker at the moment.

• Super nice thread this is. I’m enjoy it.
    Great so see how people work. I may share some music in the future 🪕

• @Lorichs said:
    Super nice thread this is. I’m enjoy it.
    Great so see how people work. I may share some music in the future 🪕

You should. I almost never play anything I made to anyone -the only other thing I ever put on this forum was a minute of me fiddling with velvet machine when i first bought it- but what i like about this thread is that ReasOne made it was clear for ideas and jams, rather than polished stuff.

• @aleyas said:
    Dirt is beautiful sometimes - which is why plugins like bitjuggler and reelbus exist.
    I wanted to make something that had that dirty, imperfect digital character so I turned to pitch shifters.
    This is what a sine through 8 pitch shifters in major scale sound like with saturation. And played with faders, not keys.

Cool! You are playing the melody on the volume controles 😃. Great workflow.
    That’s why this is a great threat. Maybe i’m a newbie but I would never had thought of this my self 😉.

• edited November 2020

I'm also learning new things from this thread. What a great idea really.
    Often the only documented evidence of our most intriguing experiments come in form of these brief screen recordings. Nice for them to finally have an outlet!

@Lorichs said:

@aleyas said:
    Dirt is beautiful sometimes - which is why plugins like bitjuggler and reelbus exist.
    I wanted to make something that had that dirty, imperfect digital character so I turned to pitch shifters.
    This is what a sine through 8 pitch shifters in major scale sound like with saturation. And played with faders, not keys.

Cool! You are playing the melody on the volume controles 😃. Great workflow.
    That’s why this is a great threat. Maybe i’m a newbie but I would never had thought of this my self 😉.

• @aleyas said:
    @reasOne @onerez @Krupa
    You guys showed some interest in the project, so here it is! The Polydrone is finished. I'm kinda proud of this one, so I hope you guys enjoy playing it! Pairs extremely well with Gauss, loopers, and modulation fx. The next thing I want to do is map the faders to my nanokontrol 2 and play it physically.

Features:

How easy would it be to route each of the drones to a separate track in AUM. ie, what modifications need to be made in the Drambo patch to take advantage of multi-bus audio out?

• edited November 2020

@zilld2017 said:

@aleyas said:
    @reasOne @onerez @Krupa

Features:

How easy would it be to route each of the drones to a separate track in AUM. ie, what modifications need to be made in the Drambo patch to take advantage of multi-bus audio out?

There are 2 octaves // 15 faders in the rack.
    Multi-out only supports 8 outputs at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.
    For multi out - if you route the octave pairs each to an output that would total 7 tracks (so like C2+C3 on track 1, D2+D3 on track 2, etc).
    I don't think it would be too difficult to modify. I'll take a look at it and post a project file for you later when complete.

• New one today...... kind of rough...

• Amazing idea. As a total newbie to the mobile production scene errr.. scratch that, as a total newbie to anything musical unless you count recording songs from the radio onto blank cassette tapes in the 90’s - this is a great excuse for me to share without shame.

• Here’s a link to a song I’ve been working on. This is pretty close to “done” for me anyway. Still some things left to do and then I might upload it to a proper DAW and see what else can be done to clean it up further. No worries about it being mixed or mastered - I don’t know how to do that (yet anyway!)

I don’t know music theory so I just sort of fumble around until finding some chords that sound okay to me. I actually don’t usually end up using chords for this reason. I’ve been working on this off and on for a while so it might not be a great example but first time really sharing anything - I just got into music production within the past year and while I’ve spent a ton of time on learning everything I can, I know there are wide gaps of things I don’t know (but I mostly don’t know what I don’t know!).

Anyway, more than open to feedback/critique. Sorry about the fumble mid-vid. I wanted to open up the tracks and effects to show what was going on behind the scenes more but Auxy automatically flips to loop the current set when you do that (started out trying to flip back quick enough but figured that wouldn’t be much fun to watch!). That’s why you’ll see a spot where it starts to loop and I flip it to next scene.

https://youtu.be/oORYvzQqBdE

• Man, I’m really digging this one. Definitely reminds me of Floyd. (Can you imagine if Floyd had AUM?!).

• @Obo nice one!!!! Dont worry about the flubs...... those lead to happy accidents!! 😂.

• @Obo said:
    Amazing idea. As a total newbie to the mobile production scene errr.. scratch that, as a total newbie to anything musical unless you count recording songs from the radio onto blank cassette tapes in the 90’s - this is a great excuse for me to share without shame.

haha man that is how i started making music, tapes in the 90s. i got to the point where i got banned from the library since i would borrow their tapes and ruin them. i used to chop them up and make weird loops and sound effects in like 94/95 before i even knew tape looping was an actual thing. i was just trying to take my fav parts from tapes and mash them into some kind a soup 😎😂

• here’s a quick idea using @aleyas drambo machine with WOV to get some rhythm, with some intention this could prove to be a great way to jam around!

• @reasOne .... dig it!! So funny cuz I am like that app is cool.. I might go buy it. And of course I already have it!!!! 😂

• @onerez said:
    @reasOne .... dig it!! So funny cuz I am like that app is cool.. I might go buy it. And of course I already have it!!!! 😂

lol it’s hard to keep track of it anymore

• @onerez said:
    @Obo nice one!!!! Dont worry about the flubs...... those lead to happy accidents!! 😂.

Haha! Sometimes right? Thanks man!

• @reasOne said:

@Obo said:
    Amazing idea. As a total newbie to the mobile production scene errr.. scratch that, as a total newbie to anything musical unless you count recording songs from the radio onto blank cassette tapes in the 90’s - this is a great excuse for me to share without shame.

haha man that is how i started making music, tapes in the 90s. i got to the point where i got banned from the library since i would borrow their tapes and ruin them. i used to chop them up and make weird loops and sound effects in like 94/95 before i even knew tape looping was an actual thing. i was just trying to take my fav parts from tapes and mash them into some kind a soup 😎😂

Lol, man that just brought back some memories for me as well. I totally forgot but I remember grabbing my favorite parts of songs and recording on tapes as well. Remembering trying to catch the song in time on the radio? You’d have to have your spot lined up on the tape in advance or you’d risk recording over something you meant to keep (or rewinding, then fast forwarding furiously to where you’d only end up getting the last half of the song!). I remember times making that calculated risk when the right song would hit the radio though the DJ says the band name, one finger on play, one on record, you hope to god the song you’re recording is better than whatever you’re recording over! 🤣

• @onerez said:
    New one today...... kind of rough...

'

Man I really dig this one!

Newbie question for you. What’s the purpose of those bus effects you have going on a handful of those tracks? I’ve routed the audio to buses and then created like a master track that plays through to external audio speakers but never used whatever it is you have going on in those effect slots. I think it’s the bus icon but I might be wrong... just saw the same on the vid hackedtopieces posted so I feel as if I’m missing something important if both of you are doing this and I don’t even know what it is!

• edited November 2020

@Obo Bus sends are a way to save CPU or resources or whatever if you lets say in the example below I have 2 synths and I know that I want to apply WOOTT to them. I can set up bus sends and have WOOTT on its own bus. Then I can control what amount each synth gets. You can do a lot with bus sends. Also for me I send all my channels into a “Master” bus so i can control what I want all all... like your typical Master channel in a Daw. Hope that helps. Most typical bus sends are delay and reverb.

• @onerez said:
    @Obo Bus sends are a way to save CPU or resources or whatever if you lets say in the example below I have 2 synths and I know that I want to apply WOOTT to them. I can set up bus sends and have WOOTT on its own bus. Then I can control what amount each synth gets. You can do a lot with bus sends. Also for me I send all my channels into a “Master” bus so i can control what I want all all... like your typical Master channel in a Daw. Hope that helps. Most typical bus sends are delay and reverb.

Nice! That makes total sense, appreciate it and the visual! 👊

• @Obo said:

@reasOne said:

@Obo said:

Lol, man that just brought back some memories for me as well. I totally forgot but I remember grabbing my favorite parts of songs and recording on tapes as well. Remembering trying to catch the song in time on the radio? You’d have to have your spot lined up on the tape in advance or you’d risk recording over something you meant to keep (or rewinding, then fast forwarding furiously to where you’d only end up getting the last half of the song!). I remember times making that calculated risk when the right song would hit the radio though the DJ says the band name, one finger on play, one on record, you hope to god the song you’re recording is better than whatever you’re recording over! 🤣

ha man absolutely! it was always so maddening to hit record thinking “this is it” then it would be something else 😂 like man come on!
    also me and my brother would call in and request the same song like 15 times using different voices so they wouldn’t think it just us lol looking back clearly they knew it was the same kids !
    my parents had no problem buying me blank tapes but when they ran out i remembering learning you could just put tape over the top of a professional cassette and record over stuff you didn’t like anymore 😂

• edited November 2020

This one I did start but then forgot about. It's an Apematrix thingy only using Humble (ERik Sigths) fantasic apps. Funny story: I contacted him about something and although I knew he was Swedish I did not know we're from the same city and he turned out to live just a short walk from me :smile: (we have not met though). This was also me trying to figure out apematrix which I'm still not too familiar with. Cheers. It got a bit long ...

• edited November 2020

Well, here’s a quick contribution from me, celebrating the fact that the awesome sounding, bargain priced WT-1 Groovebox app https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/wt1-wavetable-groovebox-synth/id1536924873 has now shaken off it’s own self isolation to the extent of becoming IAA and thus actually useful. AUV3 is likely never to happen, but hey, I can live with that, and hold out hope that the Analog and FM variants might also get the same treatment.

• Haven’t had an opportunity to listen to everyone else’s but just finished this one. I had done this one a while ago but lost the video.

• @DukeWonder said:
    Haven’t had an opportunity to listen to everyone else’s but just finished this one. I had done this one a while ago but lost the video.

Nice Duke - I dig it man. I dig it.

Makes me want to bust out Pure Acid, I think I will!

• Dude, gave me a big smile when I saw this video! Great idea to throw some amp modulation on the output.
    Btw, I'm turning the rack into a processor, so you could run any oscillator (or sound source at all) into the 15 faders.

@reasOne said:
    here’s a quick idea using @aleyas drambo machine with WOV to get some rhythm, with some intention this could prove to be a great way to jam around!

• I heard ya'll like tape loops. Here's my take on live looping, with a natural, degrading tape decay. I call it Drambo 1989.