Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Current sequencer apps with "ratchet" support?

Morning all -
Apologies if this has been covered in depth elsewhere ~

I'm starting to get back into to electronic music production (hobby only) after a long hiatus, and am very interested in something akin to the Tangerine Dream "sound".

With this in mind, would anyone have any recommendations for some current multitrack sequencers (iPad Pro) that feature per-step "ratchet"/note repeat?

Not really interested in a full-blown DAW replacement, as I have that well covered with my desktop music PC. I'm look more for AUM / Audiobus sequencer apps that can be used for real time "jam" sessions that can sync to & control apps & external hardware.

Thanks!

RR

Comments

• I’m not sure if it still in the App Store (don’t have my iPad at hand), but the
    Rubycon sequencer (can’t remember the dev) obviously has ratcheting.

• Patterning 2 and DrumComputer.

• @zilld2017 said:
    Patterning 2 and DrumComputer.

Appreciate the feedback guys.
    How well do Patterning2 & DrumComputer sync with and / or control external hardware?
    I'm really more interested in that aspect than the availability of the onboard sounds.

• Groove Rider GR-16 has a really nice ratchet feature

• steppolyarp

• edited November 2020

@rrcopter said:

@zilld2017 said:

Appreciate the feedback guys.
    How well do Patterning2 & DrumComputer sync with and / or control external hardware?
    I'm really more interested in that aspect than the availability of the onboard sounds.

They both send MIDI out, so they will work fine with external synths/machines. Still getting a handle on DC, but Patterning 2 is exactly what you are looking for I think.

• edited November 2020

Patterning 2

• Quantum and ModStep are sequencers that I've heard performance-oriented musicians controlling external hardware rave about.

• @zilld2017 said:

Can we control external synth with the step sequencer in Drum Computer?

• edited November 2020

@Montreal_Music said:

@zilld2017 said:

Can we control external synth with the step sequencer in Drum Computer?

Yes. MIDI out.

• Drambo has ratchets for days, with lots of controls. Whipped up a quick and dirty demo for you. It also does the sequence transpose thing that's so essential for Berlin School.

• Do any of the AUv3 synths with nice arps allow you to send midi out to another synth?

• I see, to take just one example, Lagrange can be loaded in midi slot in AUM, but it actually doesn't seem to send any midi out, so I fins this quite confusing, hoping someone can clarify.

• StepBud, Cykle, Octachron

• The drum sequencer in GarageBand. Oh my, I really love this thing. But no MIDI-out. Bummer!

• @JeffChasteen said:
    I’m not sure if it still in the App Store (don’t have my iPad at hand), but the
    Rubycon sequencer (can’t remember the dev) obviously has ratcheting.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rubycon/id838972691

• Thesys

Don’t underestimate the power of Quantum. IMHOP an under rated app.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Thesys

Don’t underestimate the power of Quantum. IMHOP an under rated app.

Thesys is a real sequencing beast. But as powerful as it is, as awkward is the Sugarbytes UI.

• Awesome list guys - appreciate all the ideas!

• I’m just giving this question a bump as no-one answered it and i am really curious -

Why do Lagrange etc appear in midi channels in AUM but don’t seem to actually send midi out? I was wondering if i could use an IceGear arp to arp another synth?

@Gavinski said:
    Do any of the AUv3 synths with nice arps allow you to send midi out to another synth?

• Those icegear (ice works?) apps have the best arps. I always get really musical results from them. It’s really a shame they dont do midi out. I wonder if the dev (forgot his name) would make a midi processor app that’s basically just that arp section.. might email the question actually.

The Drambo arp is pretty versatile though, you can actually manually trigger the steps which is pretty cool. Easy enough to place it in between your sequencer / keyboard and the app you want to control. Got a new ‘strum’ module also which can make lovely patterns.

@Gavinski said:
    I’m just giving this question a bump as no-one answered it and i am really curious -

Why do Lagrange etc appear in midi channels in AUM but don’t seem to actually send midi out? I was wondering if i could use an IceGear arp to arp another synth?

@Gavinski said:
    Do any of the AUv3 synths with nice arps allow you to send midi out to another synth?

• Thnx! @aleyas on a more general note though, why do apps even appear in the midi channel slots if they can't send midi I am wondering!

• Another vote for Quantum here, it is superb for sequencer based Tang nostalgia.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/quantum-sequencer/id1207932898

• Agree that Quantum's the most Tangerine Dream-y sequencer on the platform. Very deep and powerful app (over a million lines of code in there) but I could never make much progress with it.

Patterning 2 has the best UX of all step sequencers imho. It's so much more than a drum machine. Highly recommended.

I mean, it's really good.

StepPolyArp Unit is excellent and offers a different approach.

And Drambo is Drambo, and it's Drambo. It has the advantage of parameter locks (conditional parameter locks were a revelation to me) but its openness could lure you away from the Berlin school, and into the abyss.

If you really get into step sequencing, you can put your name on the waiting list for a Cirklon. There'd be plenty of time to save up.

• Future Drummer does ratchets. Don’t know if they work on midi out though.

• Been playing with the ratchet function in step poly arp tonight, it is very cool how it has been implemented. That dev really knows his stuff, master of interface design too imo. Very intuitive for such a deep app