Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy (HD) / AUM Best Practices?

124»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

GTL is a great app. Perhaps the point of this thread wasn't clear. The genesis of this was finding a nice realtime looping workflow for people that really dig their AUM setup and are looking to bring realtime looping in that context.

It could also apply to people that love ApeMatrix.

I have it clear and stated myself clear (so agree) but arguing some info gets out of context and needs put things clear.

Realtime isn’t equal to gig oriented. I can do realtime looping with iOS but I need to test GTL (or any single app) as stable option for gigging. Adding extra layers goes against stability so no option for me at gigging. If I can’t trust any single app I will keep iDevices just for home (realtime or not) and use just hardware for gigging.

If we talk about best practices for looping, or for gigging or for gigging looping with AUm/AB/Apematrix it makes a huge difference... but let’s try to be common sense talking about layers and stability (including crashes and usb inconsistent behaviour) and make clear the context with our affirmations.

Said that I explain (and try to understand each) POV and even suggest how to be useful in the long run. I don’t want to sound cathegoric just answered because you quoted me :wink:

I get lot of useful info and better background from all of you so I can discuss properly and share info wisely. <3

I am not arguing that you should do anything differently.

You imply that adding anything--I.e the AB3/AUM/Loopy combination-- adds instability. I can say confidently that it is a stable combination. One needs to be careful about which plugins and synths use but that is a completely separate issue.

So, I'd be careful about implying that this is not a stable setup.

I know mate but again crossed quotes and assumptions. I'm not saying AUM/AB3 are a problem per se, I'm saying more layers of cpu charge which it's obvious hard to keep stable than just single app. In fact iOS itself could be a problem for live gigging (and heaven for studio at same time)
    It could be that app (being GTL or any looper) could be worst coded than AUM/AB3 so make my argument weak but since I only use one app at time and none of them (AUM/AB3/Loopy or any single looper I found) offers quantized part launch (Michael said years ago this was in the roadmap for Loopy Masterpiece) I'm not going to add extra layer (midiflow) to try emulate what GTL does by default. One lf the biggest points of crashes (in my experience and maybe related to my interfaces) is connecting/disconnecting IAA and AUv3 between them, as host (for AB3) and to the hardware interface (as example Pure Synth or NeoSoul keyboards are madness in my set doing it no way for live rehersals... and I'm not affraid to say it loud and state things clear as most as I can in my experience (and trying to be polite and helpful) because I lost too much time and effort to make things work and found that simple sunny day puts my iPad into warning mode and waters the party...

But that's my setup and personal stability levels and it's in that context I state myself. Less layers should mean less cpu stress by definition but I can be wrong for sure... and I hope iPadOS even makes things better for everyone.

If I didn't need song part switching I will go for loopy since for me it's the most stable app but trying to replicate it (with or without midiflow) makes the whole setup just a mess (with app switching etc). I hope someday LMp arrives but probably I will be full hardware for this tasks at that moment of time (since I'm now with trio+ and I'm happy).

This should be my last post in this topic because I'm repeating myself but answering due being quoted and expecting be able to add something useful to someone... so I will recap to end my intervention:

• less (apps) is more (cpu free power for stability)
    • Harware usually is more stable than soft.
    • Software is usually more flexible than hardware.
    • I love flexibility for studio and stability for gigs.
    • iOS wasn't designed for music apps in mind but devs like Michael done an amazing job to prove Apple why it should be.
    • iPadOS seems the true answer to our needs and wishes as musicians but still complex software based (hybrid hardware) and we need to see true performance vs dedicated hardware solutions.
    • I'm not talking about personal taste (in fact I loved those bizarreous setups) more than applied experience so I needed to ditch this path and go more and more conservative for professional use (gigging). Shame but true (almost in my context)
    • I'm happy if other users find their own needs filled and can experience full iOS potential without drawbacks. It makes me keep hopes.
    • Opinions are personal and should be taken as grain of salt but facts should be set an standard. Performance tests should include sunny day performance more than controlled studio environment if we are giving advices for live gig use.

That's all I can remember and say after 2 days without sleeping and playing rumba 10 hours yesterday :lol:

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

GTL is a great app. Perhaps the point of this thread wasn't clear. The genesis of this was finding a nice realtime looping workflow for people that really dig their AUM setup and are looking to bring realtime looping in that context.

It could also apply to people that love ApeMatrix.

I have it clear and stated myself clear (so agree) but arguing some info gets out of context and needs put things clear.

Realtime isn’t equal to gig oriented. I can do realtime looping with iOS but I need to test GTL (or any single app) as stable option for gigging. Adding extra layers goes against stability so no option for me at gigging. If I can’t trust any single app I will keep iDevices just for home (realtime or not) and use just hardware for gigging.

If we talk about best practices for looping, or for gigging or for gigging looping with AUm/AB/Apematrix it makes a huge difference... but let’s try to be common sense talking about layers and stability (including crashes and usb inconsistent behaviour) and make clear the context with our affirmations.

Said that I explain (and try to understand each) POV and even suggest how to be useful in the long run. I don’t want to sound cathegoric just answered because you quoted me :wink:

I get lot of useful info and better background from all of you so I can discuss properly and share info wisely. <3

I am not arguing that you should do anything differently.

You imply that adding anything--I.e the AB3/AUM/Loopy combination-- adds instability. I can say confidently that it is a stable combination. One needs to be careful about which plugins and synths use but that is a completely separate issue.

So, I'd be careful about implying that this is not a stable setup.

I know mate but again crossed quotes and assumptions. I'm not saying AUM/AB3 are a problem per se, I'm saying more layers of cpu charge which it's obvious hard to keep stable than just single app. In fact iOS itself could be a problem for live gigging (and heaven for studio at same time)
    It could be that app (being GTL or any looper) could be worst coded than AUM/AB3 so make my argument weak but since I only use one app at time and none of them (AUM/AB3/Loopy or any single looper I found) offers quantized part launch (Michael said years ago this was in the roadmap for Loopy Masterpiece) I'm not going to add extra layer (midiflow) to try emulate what GTL does by default. One lf the biggest points of crashes (in my experience and maybe related to my interfaces) is connecting/disconnecting IAA and AUv3 between them, as host (for AB3) and to the hardware interface (as example Pure Synth or NeoSoul keyboards are madness in my set doing it no way for live rehersals... and I'm not affraid to say it loud and state things clear as most as I can in my experience (and trying to be polite and helpful) because I lost too much time and effort to make things work and found that simple sunny day puts my iPad into warning mode and waters the party...

But that's my setup and personal stability levels and it's in that context I state myself. Less layers should mean less cpu stress by definition but I can be wrong for sure... and I hope iPadOS even makes things better for everyone.

If I didn't need song part switching I will go for loopy since for me it's the most stable app but trying to replicate it (with or without midiflow) makes the whole setup just a mess (with app switching etc). I hope someday LMp arrives but probably I will be full hardware for this tasks at that moment of time (since I'm now with trio+ and I'm happy).

This should be my last post in this topic because I'm repeating myself but answering due being quoted and expecting be able to add something useful to someone... so I will recap to end my intervention:

• less (apps) is more (cpu free power for stability)
    • Harware usually is more stable than soft.
    • Software is usually more flexible than hardware.
    • I love flexibility for studio and stability for gigs.
    • iOS wasn't designed for music apps in mind but devs like Michael done an amazing job to prove Apple why it should be.
    • iPadOS seems the true answer to our needs and wishes as musicians but still complex software based (hybrid hardware) and we need to see true performance vs dedicated hardware solutions.
    • I'm not talking about personal taste (in fact I loved those bizarreous setups) more than applied experience so I needed to ditch this path and go more and more conservative for professional use (gigging). Shame but true (almost in my context)
    • I'm happy if other users find their own needs filled and can experience full iOS potential without drawbacks. It makes me keep hopes.
    • Opinions are personal and should be taken as grain of salt but facts should be set an standard. Performance tests should include sunny day performance more than controlled studio environment if we are giving advices for live gig use.

That's all I can remember and say after 2 days without sleeping and playing rumba 10 hours yesterday :lol:

What don’t you get?

Loopy (HD) / AUM Best Practices?

The topic of the thread was very specific and you know exactly what the thread was attempting to discuss......

🥴😉🤐

• Hi. If I buy loopy just for the timer in sidebar. Is there a way of sidebar being viewable in iaa? But with the iaa hosted in aum?

Dont think it can. For sidebar to be viewable in iaa ( tc performer ) App needs to be hosted in audiobus and then sent to aum but this stops (show app ) possibilty via midi.

Just dont want sidebar covering apps. Just a timer in sidebar.

And obviously timer correspomding via link to drambo timer circle.

• Just cant see loop position in iaa. Its ok but on 64 beats. Its kind of a guess unless you remember the sound. Kind of stops you from reseting loops then re-recording with different patches in iaa.

• @sigma79 said:
    Hi. If I buy loopy just for the timer in sidebar. Is there a way of sidebar being viewable in iaa? But with the iaa hosted in aum?

Dont think it can. For sidebar to be viewable in iaa ( tc performer ) App needs to be hosted in audiobus and then sent to aum but this stops (show app ) possibilty via midi.

I don't quite understand. You can have apps hosted in Audiobus showing up in AUM. If you haven't watched them, see the video tutorial about setting up Loopy to be used with AUM under Audiobus palette control

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Hi. If I buy loopy just for the timer in sidebar. Is there a way of sidebar being viewable in iaa? But with the iaa hosted in aum?

I don't quite understand. You can have apps hosted in Audiobus showing up in AUM. If you haven't watched them, see the video tutorial about setting up Loopy to be used with AUM under Audiobus palette control

Hi mate. If I host iaa in audiobus and route to aum. I lose switch to app function for midi controller. If pos. Just need loopy timer in sidebar ( I think its a timer ) which would hopefully tally with drambos )

So need loopy timer and side bar in iaa apps but apps hosted in aum.

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Hi mate. If I host iaa in audiobus and route to aum. I lose switch to app function for midi controller. If pos. Just need loopy timer in sidebar ( I think its a timer ) which would hopefully tally with drambos )

So need loopy timer and side bar in iaa apps but apps hosted in aum.

See the tutorial videos. If you include AUM as an app hosted in Audiobus, you can use the floating palette to switch between all the apps.

• edited July 2021

Is there a way to save presets for Midi controllers in AUM, when you're loading Audiobus projects?
    Saving them in Audiobus saves the opened AUM Instruments. Because Loopy Needs Audiobus I don't know If I can/how to save my midi controllers presets. I want to use it both in AUM and Audiobus, I mean It should be able to work, what do you think?

• edited July 2021

@_smund said:
    Ia there a way to save presets for Midi controllers in AUM, when you're loading Audiobus projects?
    Saving them in Audiobus saves the opened AUM Instruments. Because Loopy Needs Audiobus I don't know If I can/how to save my midi controllers presets. I want to use it both in AUM and Audiobus, I mean It should be able to work, what do you think?

I am not sure that I understand the question. When you save your Audiobus session, it will also save the entire AUM session and setup. So, if your AUM setup includes your MIDI controller presets (and those presets normally state save in AUM) then you are good to go. Audiobus will also save whatever MIDI setup you created there.

AUM doesn't know anything about Audiobus' state -- so AUM can't save information about what you set up in Audiobus. Just use Audiobus as your launching point and you should be good to go. (You don't need to save the AUM session separately -- it will be stored in your Audiobus preset).

• @espiegel123 said:

@_smund said:
    Ia there a way to save presets for Midi controllers in AUM, when you're loading Audiobus projects?

I am not sure that I understand the question. When you save your Audiobus session, it will also save the entire AUM session and setup. So, if your AUM setup includes your MIDI controller presets (and those presets normally state save in AUM) then you are good to go. Audiobus will also save whatever MIDI setup you created there.

AUM doesn't know anything about Audiobus' state -- so AUM can't save information about what you set up in Audiobus. Just use Audiobus as your launching point and you should be good to go. (You don't need to save the AUM session separately -- it will be stored in your Audiobus preset).

Ai, OFC! This is nice, I will keep at it.
    Thanks(:

• edited April 2022

Edit: Solved! Solution. Upgrade to Audiobus 3! Forgot Id upgraded a few months ago.

Original message:
    Audiobus 2 - Tonebridge - Loopy question. I record guitar using my iPhone. My chain of tools is guitar > Focusrite Scarlett > Audiobus 2. In Audiobus 2 the Input is System Audio Input (ie my guitar through my Focusrite). Effect is Tonebridge. Output is Loopy (v 2.7.19). Tonebridge is running and through headphones to my Focusrite I can hear Tonebridge effects applied to my guitar input. But in Audiobus 2 Tonebridge displays “Tap to Launch”, so the guitar input (and guitar effect) doesn’t come into Loopy. Does anyone else use this same chain of tools and/or have advice? I’m spending more time on troubleshooting than creating! Appreciate any help or suggestions. After re-booting, reinstalling all apps is my next step.

• @elmoregrooves said:
    Edit: Solved! Solution. Upgrade to Audiobus 3! Forgot Id upgraded a few months ago.

Original message:
    Audiobus 2 - Tonebridge - Loopy question. I record guitar using my iPhone. My chain of tools is guitar > Focusrite Scarlett > Audiobus 2. In Audiobus 2 the Input is System Audio Input (ie my guitar through my Focusrite). Effect is Tonebridge. Output is Loopy (v 2.7.19). Tonebridge is running and through headphones to my Focusrite I can hear Tonebridge effects applied to my guitar input. But in Audiobus 2 Tonebridge displays “Tap to Launch”, so the guitar input (and guitar effect) doesn’t come into Loopy. Does anyone else use this same chain of tools and/or have advice? I’m spending more time on troubleshooting than creating! Appreciate any help or suggestions. After re-booting, reinstalling all apps is my next step.

What happens if you launch tonebridge first? Many IAA apps need to be launched first. You also might want to consider using a more modern amp/effects app that can run as an AUv3. Tonebridge is a bit long in the tooth.