Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - November 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Sometimes I feel a shiver
    Going right through me
    A dark and dirty sliver
    of pure dishonesty
    If one and one makes two
    Where does that leave me and you?

When the lights are low
    I see the doubt in your eyes
    There’s something I don’t know
    Something concealed in your lies
    There is no belief
    In those words you say to me
    Just empty lies, that in the end
    Won’t have the outcome you intend

There’s something to consider
    In this comedy
    Deceit does not deliver
    It backfires horribly
    If one and one make two
    Why is that so hard for you?

When the lights are low
    There is no belief

• edited November 2020

I used the Launchpad app and its LoFi House Soundpack samples to create the music.

Then I used the Transcribe+ app to break the audio track into four stems: vocals, instruments, bass, and drums. (Even though this one didn’t have vocals, Transcribe+ placed a fair amount of musical content into that stem.) Having four stems gave me more flexibility when I mixed it on my PC with Vegas Pro.

This one is titled Daylight.

• edited November 2020

Hi all,

Long time ago I posted here. Have always really liked this monthly topic. Great to hear all those different styles of music.

This track is my latest release. Its a Lofi hiphop style track that I created using NanoStudio and various AUv3’s.

https://song.link/nl/i/1536071099

@richardyot; As always, this song is very well composed when it comes to production. Compared to the last time I was here, I find it very pleasant to listen to your voice. I've thought differently about that 🙈

@DavidEnglish; first thing i noticed is that the track starts very direct. I was suspecting a house track because of the samplepack but this was a surprise. Not the music I normally listen to, but that makes this topic so cool. I think your track sounds very pleasant, especially after the break from 1.57. I think a version with drums can also be very cool.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I used the Launchpad app and its LoFi House Soundpack samples to create the music.

Then I used the Transcribe+ app to break the audio track into four stems: vocals, instruments, bass, and drums. (Even though this one didn’t have vocals, Transcribe+ placed a fair amount of musical content into that stem.) Having four stems gave me more flexibility when I mixed it on my PC with Vegas Pro.

This one is titled Daylight.

Nice laid-back jazzy feel. I think maybe the drums should come up a bit in the mix.

The horn riffs are my favourite bit, they're really cool.

• @DrRinkel said:
    Hi all,

Long time ago I posted here. Have always really liked this monthly topic. Great to hear all those different styles of music.

This track is my latest release. Its a Lofi hiphop style track that I created using NanoStudio and various AUv3’s.

https://song.link/nl/i/1536071099

Nice low-key track, with some moody samples and a nice vibe. It's probably a bit too short :) but it's got a great chilled lo-fi vibe.

@DrRinkel said:
    @richardyot; As always, this song is very well composed when it comes to production. Compared to the last time I was here, I find it very pleasant to listen to your voice. I've thought differently about that 🙈

Haha, no worries. I learnt to sing in my forties, so it's been an uphill struggle. Glad to hear I'm improving though! 🐵

• @richardyot I like the sound of what you've got going here. There were two acts that came to mind when I listened to this:
    The Go-Betweens and Japan. Very nice production.

@DavidEnglish this track had good dimensionality to it. It is nice to hear this type of thing being produced out of apps that have been designed more towards using beats. I thought the breakdown was good. Personally, I missed having a little more impact at this point. Not sure what.....but, overall really nice.

@DrRinkel Nice start. Had me in there and then it just stopped. Was wanting to hear a little more. Sounds good though.

• @arktek said:
    @richardyot I like the sound of what you've got going here. There were two acts that came to mind when I listened to this:
    The Go-Betweens and Japan. Very nice production.

🙏 Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

• edited November 2020

Edited.

• edited November 2020

@richardyot
    U r doing well, better production and composition parts (+volume to synths into chorus parts) good chorus, and when the guitar appears is stunning..
    Good work Man

• edited November 2020

• edited November 2020

• @Mencey said:
    A simple song..
    Cubasis 3, Rock DM, Pro Q3, Strummer FX, TfxReverb, Chstrip, House:Mark I, Microsonic, DRC, Tape Pro, Bass Leveller -iPad mic-

https://menceymusic.bandcamp.com/track/dancing

Very nice slice of synth-pop. The opening riff has a lovely bittersweet feel to it, as has the vocal melody. The chorus takes it up a notch and provides some great happy vibes.

It's well performed and well-produced, with a catchy melody and some hooky riffs. Great job 👍

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Going right through me
    A dark and dirty sliver
    of pure dishonesty
    If one and one makes two

When the lights are low
    There is no belief

In this comedy
    Deceit does not deliver
    It backfires horribly
    If one and one make two

When the lights are low
    There is no belief

@richardyot this is one of my favorites of yours. The lyrics the tempo all were perfect for what I’ve come to know as your style. The baseline and it’s sound was a lovely glue. Well played. The solo was perfect. I wish a bit of it to show up earlier in the song, though that might mess things up. I just liked the sound and melody too much. Alright, enough gushing... take it easy on the stereo panning at the beginning. ❤️

• @mencey Nice melody, reminds me of the Chills, like 'heavenly pop hit' vibes.

• edited November 2020

Great idea—here is a song of my new 2-men-band Klopstock for this month:

• @Kitusai said:
    I feel some breath air suddenly!

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/kitusai-windup

Nice Ambience, I like the live-improv feel.

• Hello everyone, daylight has really potential...here is my contribution 😀

• @Kitusai said:
    I feel some breath air suddenly!

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/kitusai-windup

It's an interesting mesh of textures: live guitar over what sounds like a sampled and probabilistically sequenced banjo, which creates a strange juxtaposition of algorithm versus human improvisation. If that is indeed what is going on it's a cool concept.

The lead guitar is great, very atmospheric and melodic, with great tone.

• @Janka said:

Such an interesting musical journey... great mix too!
    Care to share what instruments were used?

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Going right through me
    A dark and dirty sliver
    of pure dishonesty
    If one and one makes two

When the lights are low
    There is no belief

In this comedy
    Deceit does not deliver
    It backfires horribly
    If one and one make two

When the lights are low
    There is no belief

Probably the best mix I’ve heard here. 👍
    The only thing I would try is to bring up volume of that pad type sound that runs with the chorus to increase the contrast.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @richardyot this is one of my favorites of yours. The lyrics the tempo all were perfect for what I’ve come to know as your style. The baseline and it’s sound was a lovely glue. Well played. The solo was perfect. I wish a bit of it to show up earlier in the song, though that might mess things up. I just liked the sound and melody too much. Alright, enough gushing... take it easy on the stereo panning at the beginning. ❤️

Thanks, I really appreciate both the listen and the feedback!

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Probably the best mix I’ve heard here. 👍
    The only thing I would try is to bring up volume of that pad type sound that runs with the chorus to increase the contrast.

Thank you, good idea with the chorus pad.

• @Janka said:

Very cool, it's got a really unusual folk/ethnic feel that we rarely get to hear around these parts. It would make a great soundtrack. The performances are really tight, some excellent musicianship here.

Lots of interesting musical sounds to listen out for as well, with synths mixed with real instruments (or are they samples?). And to top it all off some great melodies played using exotic scales.

• @Overdosed_Ape said:
    Hello everyone, daylight has really potential...here is my contribution 😀

The background textures are very atmospheric and evocative, and I really like the feel they lend to the piece. The riff is too repetitive for me though, I would like more variety there, with either some changes or a drop, so that there is a greater feeling of being on a musical journey. It's also a bit too long for me.

I think if it were cut back to 4 or 5 minutes with some more thought put into the compositional aspect of the piece it could be a great track though.

• edited November 2020

@richardyot said:

@Janka said:

Very cool, it's got a really unusual folk/ethnic feel that we rarely get to hear around these parts. It would make a great soundtrack. The performances are really tight, some excellent musicianship here.

Lots of interesting musical sounds to listen out for as well, with synths mixed with real instruments (or are they samples?). And to top it all off some great melodies played using exotic scales.

@richardyot Thank you very much for your kind feedback!

@0tolerance4silence Sure, hardware-wise we used a Yamaha ModX (actually, almost all the guitars and other real sounding instruments in this song are out of this thing – it is really good) and an old MPC 1000. All other sounds were completely done on my iPad 2018. Apps used on this song were Cubasis 3 for arrangement and mixing, GarageBand for the loop, that starts of the song, the bass sound and a few drums, SpaceCraft, Moog Model D, Koala Sampler. Also the (I think) free Stepfilter-App was used quite a lot.

If you guys are interested, you can check out the whole EP on our YouTube-Channel or on https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/C1VEJ3pTBmgxeGbYA

• @richardyot said:

@Overdosed_Ape said:
    Hello everyone, daylight has really potential...here is my contribution 😀

The background textures are very atmospheric and evocative, and I really like the feel they lend to the piece. The riff is too repetitive for me though, I would like more variety there, with either some changes or a drop, so that there is a greater feeling of being on a musical journey. It's also a bit too long for me.

I think if it were cut back to 4 or 5 minutes with some more thought put into the compositional aspect of the piece it could be a great track though.

Yes, I agree on that. I really like the atmosphere, the sound, and the overall groove—but it gets a little bit repetitive after a while.

• edited November 2020

@Janka @richardyot Thx for the feedback... I will overthink the Idea of being a reminiscence to the time where minimal was music from the cologne label profan + the adding of spacey ambient melody textures.

• ">

Here's my November entry called Colours of the Fall. Music done in Garageband and video edited in Luma Fusion.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    ">

Here's my November entry called Colours of the Fall. Music done in Garageband and video edited in Luma Fusion.

Good job. It's got a nice groove and some great musical elements.

The chordal backing is very effective with a strong chord progression, the chime-like melody is simple but very catchy and the strings complement it very well. The melodies work really well and I particularly like the way that you have two melodies interweaving in the second section with the string-like melody playing against the chime.

It's a great instrumental that I enjoyed listening to.

• Made this last night, put the finishing touches on it this morning.
    I used Lagrange, Animoog, mark 1, drum computer, fugue, Gauss, multiple fx. Made the video in Videoleap and capcut.