Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dawless Krautshong - AUM with LK as “brain” + Drambo + iDensity

Hi!,
This is the follow up to the “Krautinthingy impro” here
I wanted a real attempt at making a “song” in AUM. In the post above I describe the problems I went through. It’s taken me ages to go through all the loopholes. Had to switch DigiStix for Drambo since the former has no scene change midi cc. LK behaves like champ, so does AUM but the audio part... not so great. Had to resort to Drambo sampler for guitar parts and it took a lot of prepping (thanks @rs2000 for your kind help), and there’s some audio drop when the parts trigger.
The lady counting in Spanish is from the “THE FREE SAMPLE FODDER THREAD” where @enkaytee posted a veeeeryyyy cool link to a “Number Stations Archive” that is just amazing.

Conclusion: not doing this dawless mess again until something like the new Loopy Pro comes along and treats audio heads with some love.

I’d love to hear your opinion and discuss about how we desperately need a proper audio clip/stem thingy.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Great track!!! I am too on the hunt back in AUM. I was just getting too stuck on the linear time line.

• @onerez said:
    Great track!!! I am too on the hunt back in AUM. I was just getting too stuck on the linear time line.

Planing on doing audio?. Share your findings!.

• Wow! Love it!

Isn’t LK’s Matrix a “proper audio clip/stem thingy”???

I’ve never performed any kind of clip launching type stuff like this, but your performance has me intrigued! I have LK and Matrix but haven’t been able to wrap my head around it yet. Any tips?

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Wow! Love it!

I’ve never performed any kind of clip launching type stuff like this, but your performance has me intrigued! I have LK and Matrix but haven’t been able to wrap my head around it yet. Any tips?

Hey, thanks for the comment!.
    No, LK has no audio, I wish it did. It’s only midi.
    Here LK is the brain, it:

• plays the bass notes and other synths.
    • Triggers iDensity to play the speaking lady
    • triggers one instance of Drambo with sampler where I loaded the guitars
    • Midi cc to set the scene for antother Drambo instance where I sequence the drums
    • Automate the RE-1 tape feedback and some volume automation.
      If you’re planing on doing a lot of audio I don’t recommend this setup as of now... it took me about 20 minutes to record the guitars and hours (many) to try to stich the whole enchilada together. I should have gone with good old Loopy HD.
  • @tahiche said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    Wow! Love it!

Hey, thanks for the comment!.
    No, LK has no audio, I wish it did. It’s only midi.
    Here LK is the brain, it:

• plays the bass notes and other synths.
    • Triggers iDensity to play the speaking lady
    • triggers one instance of Drambo with sampler where I loaded the guitars
    • Midi cc to set the scene for antother Drambo instance where I sequence the drums
    • Automate the RE-1 tape feedback and some volume automation.
      If you’re planing on doing a lot of audio I don’t recommend this setup as of now... it took me about 20 minutes to record the guitars and hours (many) to try to stich the whole enchilada together. I should have gone with good old Loopy HD.

Ah, I see! Thanks for breaking down your process.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!,
    I wanted a real attempt at making a “song” in AUM. In the post above I describe the problems I went through. It’s taken me ages to go through all the loopholes. Had to switch DigiStix for Drambo since the former has no scene change midi cc. LK behaves like champ, so does AUM but the audio part... not so great. Had to resort to Drambo sampler for guitar parts and it took a lot of prepping (thanks @rs2000 for your kind help), and there’s some audio drop when the parts trigger.
    The lady counting in Spanish is from the “THE FREE SAMPLE FODDER THREAD” where @enkaytee posted a veeeeryyyy cool link to a “Number Stations Archive” that is just amazing.

Conclusion: not doing this dawless mess again until something like the new Loopy Pro comes along and treats audio heads with some love.

I’d love to hear your opinion and discuss about how we desperately need a proper audio clip/stem thingy.

Cheers!!

That's awesome! I love it because it shows the power + flexibility of using clips + scenes.. you can improv the arrangement as you go.. It's alive!
    Very impressive how you used Drambo for your guitar parts.. I don't even want to think about how difficult that was.. I wouldn’t have the patience to wire all that up.. especially when I know how quick it can be done in Ableton..

I know for a fact I would've done it all in Ableton because of the audio clips.. I would’ve played or imported the guitar parts (probably Nembrini amps recorded in AUM) directly to Ableton.. if you need to trigger these clips in + out of your song, it’s just so easy..
    This is why I ❤️ Ableton because you CAN do this with midi + audio effortlessly.. if it's in a clip, it can be triggered..

So once again, excellent effort.. loved the drum sounds + driving beat.. the whole thing was pretty groovy..

I know Zenbeats does audio + midi clips.. I haven't attempted anything this big in it yet.. I believe it's a possibility.. that way it's all inside one playground and a little easier to keep track of..
    What will Loopy Pro bring to us? 🤷‍♂️ I know it’ll be an absolute blast!

Thanks for giving us the details + frustrations you encountered along the way.. believe me, it's happening to all of us that are looking for our complete Ableton workflow on iOS.. Perhaps one day..
    I’ve learned to use the best of both worlds.. right now, I love running iOS midi apps into Ableton.. we have so many great ones to choose from.. and I use Touchable Pro to control a bunch of stuff.. that’s a great app for Ableton.. Loads of fun!
    For me.. Ableton = Freedom..
    iOS is the creative mobile playground..
    I love them both.. equally..

• Cool track! That missing piece of convenient, workable audio triggering is frustrating indeed.

I'd also mention that mapping the song mode of Digistix is pretty easy. No good for real time re-ordering of the scenes, but if you know in advance the order, you can decide on the fly when to change by briefly switching song mode on and off, and LK could be used to send that command.

• edited November 2020

@royor I can confirm your experience. Ableton is perfect for a pattern based workflow, both audio and MIDI, mainly because it's so incredibly easy to use and there are basically no limits to routing and remote control.
    LK is coming closer but it approaches it from the MIDI side. Who knows, if one day there's an audio clip feature added, that might be a game changer for staying inside AUM.

Maybe also interesting for @tahiche:
    There are two paths I would consider if I needed audio clip recording and playback in AUM:
    1. Build a template using AudioLayer instances for audio recording and triggering playback with MIDI notes. This is a bit fiddly (AUM fans should be used to that 😄) but it gives you the huge advantage of being able to handle extremely long audio tracks, unlike most other AUv3s. This setup won't forgive you slow or sloppy playing, it's like a tape machine.
    2. The best solution for now, in my opinion, is to create kind of an "Ableton template" in AUM using multiple Drambo MFx instances in the effect path, each with an instance of Flexi Sampler loaded. Clip recording (up to 16 beats long), deleting and playback can either be triggered with the AUM transport running automatically, or be launched manually e.g. by using LK clips to trigger them by MIDI notes. MIDI note filters can be used to separate MIDI control from actual music notes if they have to be on the same MIDI channel. It takes some time to set up but you only do that once, save it as an AUM project template and you'll have a customized recording environment that fits your needs. With its latest additions, I find LK perfect for that but if you prefer another AUv3 MIDI sequencer then use that one.

• @rs2000 AudioLayer (don’t own it yet) + Drambo’s Flexi Sampler sound like a couple of worthy alternatives to test out.. Guaranteed I’ll learn a few things along the way..
    I know Drambo is an all powerful solution for a lot of things.. I really need to use it on a more regular basis.. it’ll happen.. especially when I view a great demo + hear the jaw-dropping results.. that includes some of your fantastic Drambo patches on patchstorage that you’ve shared.. 👏

Thanks for the great tips.. 👍 I’ll be adding them to the library of stuff-to-try..

• @royor said:
    @rs2000 AudioLayer (don’t own it yet) + Drambo’s Flexi Sampler sound like a couple of worthy alternatives to test out.. Guaranteed I’ll learn a few things along the way..
    I know Drambo is an all powerful solution for a lot of things.. I really need to use it on a more regular basis.. it’ll happen.. especially when I view a great demo + hear the jaw-dropping results.. that includes some of your fantastic Drambo patches on patchstorage that you’ve shared.. 👏

Thanks for the great tips.. 👍 I’ll be adding them to the library of stuff-to-try..

Thank you! 😃
    There's more to come, watch out for the next Drambo release with a wavetable oscillator, related FX and a short demo song showing them 😚

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!,

Cheers!!

What a great Performance, respect! I really enjoyed :-)

• @tahiche absolutely rocking'! iDensity is a fantastic instrument/tool and this track and the performance throughout just kept me in there 'til the end. I love Re-1 too...If you didn't tell people this was an iPad track would they ever know? Not that it should matter either way....music, love it.

• @arktek said:
    @tahiche absolutely rocking'! iDensity is a fantastic instrument/tool and this track and the performance throughout just kept me in there 'til the end. I love Re-1 too...If you didn't tell people this was an iPad track would they ever know? Not that it should matter either way....music, love it.

Thank u!. Your comment actually made me realize something... I did quite a few effects, but not nearly as many as I would’ve in desktop. In desktop I always add compressors and eq/s per tracks, then some more bus processing, then some more... and in a way it ends up sounding less natural. The iPad sort of forces you to keep things simpler. Less overthinking and over processing.
    Quality wise?. iPad apps are plenty good enough for me, I don’t see effects in terms of quality (probably cos I can’t tell) just if I like what I’m hearing. It’s funny how some people obsess over higher bitrates or extreme transparency just to end up adding a tape emulation with static noise on the master track to give it “warmth”.