Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kraut thingy impro. Playing with DigiStix probability and iDensity

Hi!. This is my first video so be kind...
Droning/generative/random kraut. Playing with DigiStix to explore the great probability factor and iDensity which I bought on sale and i just love.

Sampled Neu! (Kraut legends) from YouTube and made a DigiStix kit (via export from BeatMaker 3 sampler). A few patterns with slight changes but with loads of “probability” (snares that trigger or not...). Also round robin layers for further movement.
iDensity is a brand new purchase, love it. Sampled my 3 string CGB and made a dronish thing.
The rest is basically one pattern in LK triggering 3 instances of ModelD. I was looking for a bass sound and kept duplicating whenever a preset sounded good. One of the model D is LK -> Rozetta scaler to make a harmony from the same pattern.
For Fx: NuRack (drums), Kosmonaut, eventide rotary, lofi dirt, Eos reverb bus, rough rider in master....

I added guitars using MultiTrack AUV3 but they kept getting out of sync. Something to do with sample rate I believe. So I ditched them.

Comments

• sounds great. what's a CGB by the way?

• Nice one! I like it a lot.

• Thanks for the feedback!.

@SimonSomeone said:
    sounds great. what's a CGB by the way?

Cigar Box Guitar. I got a 3 string (tuned low open G) and 4 string (higher open D). I almost always use the 3 string one, 4 is too many 🙈 Haven’t played my real guitar in ages. So much fun.
    Here’s it’s pretty much unrecognizable, used for the iDensity drone thingy.
    Here’s them:

Might add some guitars to this impro and try to make something out of it. If I do I’ll post follow ups.
    I’m really happy with the drums. It’s amazing how you can sample something and play it yourself, and the variations in DigiStix with little effort, so great.

Btw... one thing I can’t figure out, and I asked in another post... how the hell do you change patterns on DigiStix via midi?.

Cheers!

• @tahiche, I love cigar box guitar. I almost built one but it turned into pretty rough BTG (biscuit tin guitar!). was still fun to play though.

And I actually answered your question in your other thread. It's not exactly good news, but there's a workaround... :)

• You had me at Neu! and CBG!
    Sounds great.

• Yeah, CGB rules!. It’s so basic and straight to the gut, to me it’s like it bypasses the brain.
    I’m putting out a record soon, I just have to master it. It’s a 3 piece playing live in studio, I do the guitar and bass with the CGB, a splitter, octaver on to 2 amps. Sounds monstruos, so simple and so good.
    Now it’s just me and the iPad... want to start doing shit, all I do is chat in this forum!. Forums about mak8ng music are the perfect excuse to not make music!.

• This is amazing stuff. I got worried when the battery went lo-warning :lol:

• Good one. Yeah, add guitars.

• Like it. Good kit samples. Maybe synths could be dirtier (RE-1 echo type stuff)? Good work 👍🏻

• Great sound.

I love the krautrock thing. I keep reading Julian cope’s krautrock sampler and it always makes me feel good. This time round I picked up two bits of info. Neu! Is pronounced noy like boy and the monotonous (here it’s a thing to be celebrated) drumming style is called Motorik which has its own wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorik

I’m told Damo Suzuki is still is a huge ball of energy that can set any scene on fire.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Like it. Good kit samples. Maybe synths could be dirtier (RE-1 echo type stuff)? Good work 👍🏻

Man, I just checked out RE-1 after your comment... do i need it?.
    I already have Nembrini delay3000, Dubstation, kosmonaut, DLYM... but this one does look amazing. It’s not too cheap so just tell me straight away. You’re bad for GAS.

The samples are from a YouTube video. Screen capture, extracted the audio and chopped it up in BM3. I wanted to try that out and it’s surprisingly good. The quality is good enough. Specially since I’m gonna lo-if it anyway, who cares about the 96khz resolution...

I might go ahead and finish it, but I have a huge problem with DigiStix. You can’t change patterns via midi!!. How was that omitted?. You can change virtually anything, like the reverb length, yet you can’t change patterns. It baffles me.
    Do you have to commit to a song structure in DigiStix and replicate that in your daw or whatever. If you want to change something you have to do it twice and probably play everything form the beginning. Really sucks.
    Do you know if EG Pulse can change patterns via midi messages?. Or I might try Drambo. I don’t understand why they omitted this.

• Sounds great! I totally missed your post at first.

• @tahiche said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Like it. Good kit samples. Maybe synths could be dirtier (RE-1 echo type stuff)? Good work 👍🏻

I already have Nembrini delay3000, Dubstation, kosmonaut, DLYM... but this one does look amazing. It’s not too cheap so just tell me straight away. You’re bad for GAS.

I have a ton of delay apps. RE-1 rarely gets used.

• @Richtowns said:
    Great sound.

I love the krautrock thing. I keep reading Julian cope’s krautrock sampler and it always makes me feel good. This time round I picked up two bits of info. Neu! Is pronounced noy like boy and the monotonous (here it’s a thing to be celebrated) drumming style is called Motorik which has its own wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorik

I’m told Damo Suzuki is still is a huge ball of energy that can set any scene on fire.

Yeah, kraut is like yoga for the mind, some minds that is.
    It’s also dangerous cos you can so the same shit over and over and never get tired. It’s also the most fun to play live. I’ve always had a krauty song or two in my bands and they were the most fun live.
    The apps/sequencers with randomizing and probability triggers are just perfect, they’re like a kraut drummer except they don’t puke on stage!.

• edited October 2020

This track is excellent; thank you for reminding about iDensity!

And here's a tribute to Damo Suzuki that isn't really krautrock but is remarkable anyway.

• @ExAsperis99 i love The Fall!. Saw them live twice, amazing tornado.

• @tahiche said:

@Zerozerozero said:

The samples are from a YouTube video. Screen capture, extracted the audio and chopped it up in BM3. I wanted to try that out and it’s surprisingly good. The quality is good enough. Specially since I’m gonna lo-if it anyway, who cares about the 96khz resolution...

I might go ahead and finish it, but I have a huge problem with DigiStix. You can’t change patterns via midi!!. How was that omitted?. You can change virtually anything, like the reverb length, yet you can’t change patterns. It baffles me.
    Do you have to commit to a song structure in DigiStix and replicate that in your daw or whatever. If you want to change something you have to do it twice and probably play everything form the beginning. Really sucks.
    Do you know if EG Pulse can change patterns via midi messages?. Or I might try Drambo. I don’t understand why they omitted this.

I have Nembrini and DYLM but can’t vouch for the other two. RE-1 is very different. Obviously iOS can’t touch an actual space echo but to me RE-1 is the closest. The saturation/feedback isn’t too bad. Other possible is K7D. Not as authentic but great amount of controllers. Some out of control grit would be a winner for me over the clean, punchy drums/bass ✌🏻

• I’m working on a new “version”. Added my world famous CGB per popular demand.

But what in here to tell you is that doing a “song” structure in AUM when it involves audio is virtually impossible.

It took me like 20 minutes to improvise and lay down some guitar riffs. I cheated and used Zenbeats which is so fast at that in clip mode. It’s taking me days to try to put together something useful in AUM.
    LK is the “master” sequencer in AUM. Working good. I like the midi cc per clip, you can control everything that’s controllable in AUM and plugins in a centralized manner. Me likes.

• Made a whole new kit in Drambo in place of DigiStix. DigiStix has no “pattern change” midi control, which I find almost unbelievable, given how how you can control the bloody reverb decay time. So no way to change DigiStix pattern from LK. This is easy peasy in Drambo, so Drambo it is.
    • On another “Drambo replaces 4pockets” moment I had to go from MultiTrack to Drambo for the guitar parts. I had 2 MultiTracks (loaded with the ZB guitar parts), one for verse/intro, one for chorus. The thing is they keep in sync with AUM timeline, but you can’t “reset” and tell MuktiTrack to play from the beginning. Either with “sync to host” or “remote” modes, it will be running in the background. So say I’m on the verse, and I switch to chorus (unmute that MuktiTrack instance) the play head might or might not be at the beginning...
    • So I use Drambo to play the guitar parts in AUM. I launch a Drambo pattern from LK, that way I know the samples will play from the beginning when changing scene. This is not straightforward either. @rs2000 has been very helpful in the Drambo forum. These more “traditional” song parts, that can be long (whole verse or whole chorus) are a pain to deal with.

Long story short... it’s not worth it. I’ll finish it cos I’m a stubborn mule and I want to say “I did try it” next time someone suggests how great the AUM-Daw idea is.
    Seems like electronic musicians rule the world. This Kraut thing in AUM was fine fun until I wanted to add a song change. Meaning things that change notes in tandem, also known as verse/bridge/chorus, also known as “do something with that jam”. I had Zenbeats and AUM synced via Ableton to record the CGB guitar parts, solid and easy. The clip mode is such a great feature. If only you could trigger scene/clip changes in ZB via midi from AUM/LK. Btw I tried L7 looper and it was a crash after crash, unusable.
    AUV3 audio clip launcher. Like ZB clip mode, like Loopy... that’d be awesome and it shouldn’t be too hard. Until that day comes I’m done with songs involving audio in AUM. I will upload this one, though, when I get the Drambo looping situation sorted.

Cheers.

• Hey!
    Just finished the hell test. And I say finish as in “I quit” 😂
    I was close enough!.

@tahiche said:
    Hi!,
    This is the follow up to the “Krautinthingy impro” here
    I wanted a real attempt at making a “song” in AUM. In the post above I describe the problems I went through. It’s taken me ages to go through all the loopholes. Had to switch DigiStix for Drambo since the former has no scene change midi cc. LK behaves like champ, so does AUM but the audio part... not so great. Had to resort to Drambo sampler for guitar parts and it took a lot of prepping (thanks @rs2000 for your kind help), and there’s some audio drop when the parts trigger.
    The lady counting in Spanish is from the “THE FREE SAMPLE FODDER THREAD” where @enkaytee posted a veeeeryyyy cool link to a “Number Stations Archive” that is just amazing.

Conclusion: not doing this dawless mess again until something like the new Loopy Pro comes along and treats audio heads with some love.

I’d love to hear your opinion and discuss about how we desperately need a proper audio clip/stem thingy.

Cheers!!

Btw @Zerozerozero i got RE-1 and it’s f****g all over the place!. Don’t know about delay, but it’s the best feedback machine I’ve encountered in iOS. I listen to you guys!.

Here’s the link.

Dawless Krautshong - AUM with LK as “brain” + Drambo + iDensity

• Cool @tahiche. Great result!
    Funny, just this morning I've played with RE-1 over a new Drambo Wurly patch, it does add some vibe.
    I like the short delays the best.

Have you ever tried to get friends with Drambo running inside Beatmaker 3?

• @rs2000 said:
    Cool @tahiche. Great result!.

Hi!
    Thank u for your help on the Drambo side!. I have to say after all the trouble I believe Drambo isn’t made for “stem” or longish audio files playing. There’s a noticeable “pump” when notes trigger the file, like it takes a few milliseconds, and it spoils the “looping”. I was gonna approach you in the Drambo forum about this... if you don’t mind

Funny, just this morning I've played with RE-1 over a new Drambo Wurly patch, it does add some vibe.
    I like the short delays the best

Yes, it’s the first time I use it and it’s all over the place. @Zerozerozero here recommended it for “dirtier” and I’m all into sonic filth. Love how it feedbacks, very real. So yes, short delay, messy, To me it’s not really a delay, don’t know if it’s supposed to be. I actually tried it to play the guitar stems with its looper but it only goes 8 bars and my stems are long so it was chipmunks cgb.

Have you ever tried to get friends with Drambo running inside Beatmaker 3?

Not with BM3 but I did manage to get it working with Zenbeats, and I believe it’s the same or similar scenario, using Drambo as a plugin.
    I commented here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34795/roland-zenbeats-by-roland-corporation-auv3/p63
    It’s a bit hacky but it works. I tried both using Drambo as seq and sampler and just as sequencer playing Zenbeats drum machine. If you want me to try out in BM3 let me know, I owe you a few!.

• Nice.. enjoyed that. Would something like mm-1 mute master help coordinate song structure changes in AUM maybe? (I’ve not used it, as I use external sequencers, and have yet to get beyond jamming)

@tahiche said:
    Hi!,
    This is the follow up to the “Krautinthingy impro” here
    I wanted a real attempt at making a “song” in AUM. In the post above I describe the problems I went through. It’s taken me ages to go through all the loopholes. Had to switch DigiStix for Drambo since the former has no scene change midi cc. LK behaves like champ, so does AUM but the audio part... not so great. Had to resort to Drambo sampler for guitar parts and it took a lot of prepping (thanks @rs2000 for your kind help), and there’s some audio drop when the parts trigger.
    The lady counting in Spanish is from the “THE FREE SAMPLE FODDER THREAD” where @enkaytee posted a veeeeryyyy cool link to a “Number Stations Archive” that is just amazing.

Conclusion: not doing this dawless mess again until something like the new Loopy Pro comes along and treats audio heads with some love.

I’d love to hear your opinion and discuss about how we desperately need a proper audio clip/stem thingy.

Cheers!!

Btw @Zerozerozero i got RE-1 and it’s f****g all over the place!. Don’t know about delay, but it’s the best feedback machine I’ve encountered in iOS. I listen to you guys!.

Here’s the link.

Dawless Krautshong - AUM with LK as “brain” + Drambo + iDensity

• edited November 2020

@jollyDodger said:
    Nice.. enjoyed that. Would something like mm-1 mute master help coordinate song structure changes in AUM maybe? (I’ve not used it, as I use external sequencers, and have yet to get beyond jamming)

Don’t know if you saw the “song version” here Dawless Krautshong - AUM with LK as “brain” + Drambo + iDensity I use LK to coordinate the song structure in AUM. It’s actually great for that. I also do all the plugin automation like the feedbacks and stuff. As i said, LK handles all the midi stuff really well. It’s on the audio side where things get complicated.
    You can also sequence external hardware with LK.

• Btw @Zerozerozero i got RE-1 and it’s f****g all over the place!. Don’t know about delay, but it’s the best feedback machine I’ve encountered in iOS. I listen to you guys!.
    @tahiche
    Glad you got on ok with RE-1. Automating to tame it is a good plan.
    Your track sounds great. Krautrock trance feel definitely acheived. Chord changes are great also.
    If Drambo doesn’t like long audio clips could you switch to a dedicated sampler and sequencer? Koala seems to be able to take pretty long clips...

• @Zerozerozero said:
    @tahiche
    Glad you got on ok with RE-1. Automating to tame it is a good plan.
    Your track sounds great. Krautrock trance feel definitely acheived. Chord changes are great also.

Hi!.

If Drambo doesn’t like long audio clips could you switch to a dedicated sampler and sequencer? Koala seems to be able to take pretty long clips...

I like koala, it’s fast and straightforward. But no multiple outs, so no way to add auv3 effects per guitar track, volume change, etc...
    Thing is a sampler is not really a clip player. It’s a workaround. The closest to a nice and simple file player is AUMs own but...

That “sync quantum” setting means it’s always late... you send a midi cc and it waits for at least one bar, which makes it unuasable. Or we have to come back to the “plan in advance”. As it currently stands, every audio clip solution demands to “plan in advance” which sucks, it’s too much work. I’m sticking to Zenbeats clip mode for now, even though it’s got it’s own gremlins and shortcomings. But at least the audio side is well taken care of. Where Zenbeats is a pain is to use outside sequencing, like Drambo, that part is great in AUM. So it comes down to putting things on a balance. One of them will eventually fill in the missing gaps, I hope.