Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miniKorg 700?

Anyone have suggestions for a good miniKorg 700 mock-up for iOS?

The miniKorg 700 was Korgs first synth (also sold as a Univox), released in ~ 1974.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/mini700s.php

Fantastic for "70's synth sounds (Cars, Kraftwerk, etc.)", at least I think so.

I still have one (one of my only old analogue synths I still have), and have written a number of tunes on it.

The problem - I can't find a modern equivalent, either in hardware or software, even though it is a simple synth. (and I'd rather not drag out my ~50 year old synth to play for 8 people in a bar).

Sure, a number of hardware or soft synths can do similar things, but by equivalent, what I mean is a combination of very good fundamental tones, with very easy to use controls - kind of like an old Telecaster - a somewhat one-trick pony, but what it does, it does really well).

Anyway, the two main things I am missing (besides the fundamental tone of the oscillators and filters) is the ability to easily sweep the filter vs the resonance (accomplished with teh two sliders on the lower left), and the "Repeat" function.

The latter "repeat function" is very useful for making fake arpeggio riffs on the fly while you play around with the filter and resonance - here's an example starting at the 3:10 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DX-dx6ONsi0

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

roy

Comments

• Try Synth One by AudioKit (it’s free) and load this patch into it. Sweep the filter with the onscreen mod wheel, play the keyboard like in the video you posted.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff6co4s1kk952o9/PB Repeat MW Filter Sweep.synth1?dl=0

• Wow man, thanks - that was fast!

I have to say, you've gotten pretty close to nailing the feel of the "repeat" function for the miniKorg 700!

Now I just have to work on getting the tone nastier/more analogy, but maybe if I run through some other effect.

Also, if nothing else, you have given me some new insights into how to do this on other synths - I get why the filter and envelopes settings you made work, but what is causign the "repeat" function? (I'm not very familiar with Synth One, looks like I need to change that!)

Thanks again,

Roy

• Ahh, I see - a "no octave" arpeggiator- nice!

• dang, I love those old organ top synths. Something about the 700 that is just so lovely.

so... I know that certain people get irked at this answer, but it's true... either Drambo or MiRack are your best bet in modeling that particular repeat function (and can even go after that great ring mod that some of them had). the graphic shaper is great for modeling oscillators, too to get the exact timbre you're after. I realize that not everybody wants to go down the modular path, but for these types of things, it really is superb.

If you didn't want to take the time to program it, you could easily use Drambo's Sampler module to sample the key range you wish to use and do it that way.

• I loved my MiniKorg 700, stolen in 1989.. I miss it terribly

• @roygbiv said:
    I still have one (one of my only old analogue synths I still have), and have written a number of tunes on it.

Congrats for keeping it!

The problem - I can't find a modern equivalent, either in hardware or software, even though it is a simple synth. (and I'd rather not drag out my ~50 year old synth to play for 8 people in a bar).

It sounds quite good,
    I don't know of one either.

Anyway, the two main things I am missing (besides the fundamental tone of the oscillators and filters) is the ability to easily sweep the filter vs the resonance (accomplished with teh two sliders on the lower left), and the "Repeat" function.

Resonance? Aren't the sliders actually low and high pass cutoff controls and resonance only switchable between two values?

The latter "repeat function" is very useful for making fake arpeggio riffs on the fly while you play around with the filter and resonance - here's an example starting at the 3:10 mark:
    Should be easy to do on any monophonic synth with a square LFO

Any suggestions?

I would build one with Drambo but maybe you can purchase a synth like this on the Appstore... I don't know.