Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The best iOS app to chop one-shots is...

I need an app recommendation, and bonus points if I already own it.

My goal is to create "kits" of one-shots sourced from cool iOS apps, that I can load into my h/w groovebox (Digitakt).

The idea is that I record a dozen or so hits in AUM, spaced out, into a single WAV file. I'd like to do many of these WAV files.

What's the best app to take those single files of multiple hits, and chop it into a dozen one-shots?

I already own:

• AudioShare - it's not terribly precise for chopping; seems to automatically create new files with every chop, every normalize, etc.
  • BM3 - didn't gel with it, so I don't know it well
  • Cubasis 3
  • Logic - maybe the new Quick Sampler can export a kit? I don't have much experience with it yet

or maybe something else?

Comments

• @pete12000 said:

My goal is to create "kits" of one-shots sourced from cool iOS apps, that I can load into my h/w groovebox (Digitakt).

The idea is that I record a dozen or so hits in AUM, spaced out, into a single WAV file. I'd like to do many of these WAV files.

What's the best app to take those single files of multiple hits, and chop it into a dozen one-shots?

I already own:

• AudioShare - it's not terribly precise for chopping; seems to automatically create new files with every chop, every normalize, etc.
    • Cubasis 3
    • Logic - maybe the new Quick Sampler can export a kit? I don't have much experience with it yet

or maybe something else?

Auditor -- hands down.

• @espiegel123 said:

@pete12000 said:

I already own:

• Cubasis 3

or maybe something else?

Auditor -- hands down.

+1

• Was not AudioLayer the canonical way to do this?

• While I love Reslice as an amazing instrument, I think if one's primary interest is editing, slicing and exporting, Auditor has much more to offer. It can even export sliced loops that apps like Beathawk, Garageband, BM3 and Logic can use. It can export in any format you'd like and if you slice up loops, it can export a MIDI file to recreate the loop (ReSlice can do that if you jump through hoops)

• @espiegel123 said:

While I love Reslice as an amazing instrument, I think if one's primary interest is editing, slicing and exporting, Auditor has much more to offer. It can even export sliced loops that apps like Beathawk, Garageband, BM3 and Logic can use. It can export in any format you'd like and if you slice up loops, it can export a MIDI file to recreate the loop (ReSlice can do that if you jump through hoops)

I wish auditor was on iOS, but unfortunately for me it’s only on iPadOS.

• You could use Koala, open it in a send inside Aum and send whatever you want. The samplin' and choppin' is very easy and the latest merge options make it a joy to use.

• @pete12000 said:

I already own:

• Cubasis 3

or maybe something else?

I recently came across the same question. I field-recorded my entire acoustic drum set (wav files with several hits of one cymbal etc.) and wanted to prepare one-shots to use with my Digitakt. Also, I wanted to do some EQ adjustments with the Fabfilter plugins.

I used BM3 even though I have never even made a single loop in that program (grabbed it for free). I loaded the wav file, applied the FX, and sliced everything automatically on the different pads. BM3 can automatically detect transients. I then recorded another take of these samples with the FX but the individual samples can all be exported easily and at once. It was a somewhat tedious process and it took me roughly 3 hours to have processed and renamed one-shots of my entire drum set to use with the DT.

I'm happy to hear about different approaches. I wonder whether it is possible to 'apply' an effect on a wav file, just as you'd apply a filter on a photo without having to re-sample everything again with the effects/eq applied?

• @pete12000 said:
    " ..... * BM3 - didn't gel with it, so I don't know it well..."

You might like BM2 better - very powerful for chopping up samples and triggering them - I think the simpler (uglier?) interface is a lot easier to work with. Even though I immediately upgraded to BM3 (after the long wait), I still almost only use BM2 for the above tasks.

• I would pay money* to see Auditor at work this way. Every time I go in that app I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a 747. Use case: Long audio file of guitar noodling, for instance. I want to delete 90 percent of what's there but keep maybe a dozen phrases. What's the fastest way to do this?

*Seriously. If you're a YouTube tutorial type, I'll become a patron or whatever for this video tutorial.

• SeGments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I would pay money* to see Auditor at work this way. Every time I go in that app I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a 747. Use case: Long audio file of guitar noodling, for instance. I want to delete 90 percent of what's there but keep maybe a dozen phrases. What's the fastest way to do this?

*Seriously. If you're a YouTube tutorial type, I'll become a patron or whatever for this video tutorial.

Set playhead to beginning of phrase. Hit “Set Selection Start to Playhead”. Set playhead to end of phrase. Hit “Set Selection End to Playhead”. Hit Save. Turn on “Save Global Selection Range Only”. Name the file. Hit Export Audio. Rinse and repeat.

You can also define a series of regions and export in one shot but this way was easier to illustrate quickly.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I would pay money* to see Auditor at work this way. Every time I go in that app I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a 747. Use case: Long audio file of guitar noodling, for instance. I want to delete 90 percent of what's there but keep maybe a dozen phrases. What's the fastest way to do this?

😅 I feel your pain - I'm in the same boat. But if you try loading your file - then press the spanner (tools) at the top - then press ‘slicing’ on the pop up menu - then either use the manual mode or the sensitivity mode to set the slice points - then press ‘export slices with midi file’ - you can then choose where to save them in AudioShare and they will all appear. You can then play the list and they will run consecutively (if the loop checkbox next to the transport controls is off in AudioShare) - just follow on behind as they play deleting the ones you don’t like and you will be left with the good stuff. Don’t worry about the midi file bit - if you just want the audio then just delete it (it’s one file that appears at the bottom)

• Excellent advice, @anickt and @robosardine

Will dive in soon. (Although I just against all better judgment bought Pure Acid, and now I've spent the past hour in a haze where my house has turned into Camden Market circa 1990 and I'm browsing the cassette booths of acid house dj's.)

• @espiegel123 said:

@pete12000 said:

I already own:

• Cubasis 3

or maybe something else?

Auditor -- hands down.

In my opinion, Auditor absolutely.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Excellent advice, @anickt and @robosardine

Will dive in soon. (Although I just against all better judgment bought Pure Acid, and now I've spent the past hour in a haze where my house has turned into Camden Market circa 1990 and I'm browsing the cassette booths of acid house dj's.)

I had so so many of those tapes :)

• sEgments but maybe not exactly what your looking for...

• @Krupa said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Excellent advice, @anickt and @robosardine

I had so so many of those tapes :)

Right? All neon spines. Where are they now?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

In @anickt's first screenshot "Selection to region" is just below the red circle. Once you have them defined you can export all at once.

Another option is to just use Split at Playhead several times. Delete the regions you don't want or drag the regions you do want to a new layer.

Agree that the auditor UI can feel overwhelming. FWIW, if you long press on a button in the upper toolbar or the lower transport bar, you can configure which actions/buttons are shown. This made it a little more manageable for me anyway.

• Nystrodamus (the man who saw yesterday and wasn't very impressed) foresees an upcoming @Gavinski Auditor deep-dive tutorial!

• I had a stall at Camden Lock market in the late 80s but I didn’t sell those cassettes, just bought them. Fond memories.

+1 for Auditor.

• I really like Koala for that. I can sample what I want to a pad and build a whole kit from that loop really quickly

• I got the answer for you and it might surprise you, Koala sampler is the answer!!!! SP-404 inspired app (very straightforward, no minor tweaking) perfect for chopping samples, fun way to duplicate samples just dragging to empty pad, drag one sample to another pad and you can add it to the end of the sample (as you said a long wav with different shots), or you can "mix" them over, kind of layering, it is reallly awesome for drums!!

• @syrupcore said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

In @anickt's first screenshot "Selection to region" is just below the red circle. Once you have them defined you can export all at once.

Another option is to just use Split at Playhead several times. Delete the regions you don't want or drag the regions you do want to a new layer.

Agree that the auditor UI can feel overwhelming. FWIW, if you long press on a button in the upper toolbar or the lower transport bar, you can configure which actions/buttons are shown. This made it a little more manageable for me anyway.

Once auditor clicks it’s easy. I had to spend some focused time with it to sort it all out but now it’s easy.

• How does Auditor's time stretch / pitch shift compare to BM3?

• i like , eg sEGments
    great for sampling and chopping
    also koala is pure butter

• @illo said:
    How does Auditor's time stretch / pitch shift compare to BM3?

I think BM3’s is probably still the best on iOS

• To me BM3 is the best, it has transients detection or you can have the loop cut every frction of a beat, e.g. 1/16 etc. Also, time stretching is decent quality, which is rare on iOS.
    Another plus is nice integrated file browser.