Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit House Mark I electric piano released! Walkthrough video

House: Mark I by AudioKit Electric Piano for iOS Walkthrough Demo

House: Mark I by is a beautiful-sounding sampled vintage electric piano Audio Unit app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) made in collaboration with AudioKit by 2 world famous producers, Henny Tha Bizniz and Kennard Garret, who have worked with the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Sting and Jay Z. This tutorial demos the presets and guides you through all the key features of the interface. I also towards the end discuss how this might compare with something like apeSoft’s Electric Vintage, another great sampled Rhodes, and finish off with some reflections on why this app might be a good thing for iOS music. I have three FREE copies of the app to give away to subscribers viewing in the first two days of release - see the pinned Youtube comment at the top of the YouTube comments section for details.
Quick apology: Daniela Rivera, one of the engineers who made a preset here is a girl, I mistakenly referred to her as a guy. Sorry Daniela!!

00:00 intro & giveaway details
02:43 preset demo and app walkthrough
13:20 adding external fx
14:54 this vs apeSoft Electric Vintage, concluding thoughts

https://apps.apple.com/app/house-mark-i/id1481734663

Comments

• Our stick with my I Electric APESOFT version I think.

• Here is the App Store blurb:

Created by two Grammy-winners, HOUSE: MARK I was custom made exclusively for your iPhone & iPad. Perfect for the studio, songwriting, and performance.

“Really kind of blowing me away... It sounds so freaking great”
    – Justin Gilbert (Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, Eminem)

“This is killer... Really phenomenal.”
    – Tracyan Martin (Janelle Monae, Musiq Soulchild, Fantasia)

Every bit of a famous vintage electric piano was recorded and lovingly hand edited by award-winning producers. The tines. The noise. The feel. The vibe. It’s all here.

Handmade by Henny Tha Bizness (Grammy-winning/Platinum-selling Producer) and Kennard Garrett (Grammy-winning Producer/Songwriter), HOUSE: MARK I has already been endorsed and used by professional musicians and hit-making engineers.

“HOUSE: MARK I is an app we play EVERYDAY on the records we create”
    – Westview Drive, producer team for Sting, Jay-Z, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Black Eyed Peas, J. Cole, Young Jeezy, R. Kelly, Brandy, Ice Cube, Wiz Khalifa, Rick Ross, and many others.

FEATURES:
    • Easy-to-use controls. Only the knobs you need.
    • Pro Sound quality. It’s all about the Vibe.
    • 4 Velocity Layers, meticulously hand edited and under 150mb
    • Studio quality sound – on the go. Create wherever you are.
    • Feels "Real" with carefully sampled key noise and air

PLUS:
    • Use a MIDI keyboard & pedal to play
    • Standalone app, plus iOS AUv3 Plug-in
    • Universal: For one low price you get both the iPhone & iPad versions

audiokitpro.com/house

“We really love the heck out of this thing! Hopefully you will as well”
    – Henny tha Bizness

WATCH VIDEO:

"This thing sounds amazing. Velocities are inspiring. Fun and vintage!"
    – The AudioDabbler, iOS YouTuber

“It sounds beautiful! Feels great”
    – Daniela Rivera (Kylie Minogue, Coldplay, Selena Gomez)

• Bought. Thanks @Gavinski for the demo, it does sound great. Another Audiokit winner!!!

• Bought! I didn’t see any mention of this being one of their “limited edition” apps though?

• ALBALB
    edited October 2020

I may check out the walk through, but I must ask: What does this offer that I can't get with Neo Soul Keys and the Apesoft Electric? I cannot imagine that it sounds better, but maybe it sounds different in an interesting way. Honestly, seeing the words "Grammy-winners" in the blurb is enough to make me avoid it altogether.
    EDIT: going straight to Gavinski’s closing thoughts to find my answer...

• Thanks for the heads up!
    Gonna watch your video in a few minutes.

Watching Henny using it in a few videos made me dig it. Time for a full dive now

• Nice demo as always, bought even if I hate electric piano😂😂😂

• @ALB As an owner of Neo soul keys I can tell you that you probably could duplicate any of these sounds and have even more controls with that immense app. Many of the apps out there are able to replicate each other’s sounds nowadays. If this app had sounds that were impossible to duplicate it likely would not sound like any electric piano you’ve ever heard before.
    My ears like it. Listen to Gavinski’s demo and see what you think. It’s cheap, it’s small footprint, it’s not complicated, it’s AUv3, Grammy or not it’s a good app.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @ALB As an owner of Neo soul keys I can tell you that you probably could duplicate any of these sounds and have even more controls with that immense app. Many of the apps out there are able to replicate each other’s sounds nowadays. If this app had sounds that were impossible to duplicate it likely would not sound like any electric piano you’ve ever heard before.
    My ears like it. Listen to Gavinski’s demo and see what you think. It’s cheap, it’s small footprint, it’s not complicated, it’s AUv3, Grammy or not it’s a good app.

Now I’m on the fence having watched Gavinski’s demo. And... it’s really cheap.

• One thing - as I mention towards the end of the vid - it's pretty cpu heavy, which is surprising for a sampled app I'd have thought, no?One instance hits about 20 to 25 percent on my ipad Pro 3rd gen.

• @Intrepolicious this is not limited edition but the price will go up to 12.99 at some point. Not sure when though.

• Wait, buying this app benefits Morehouse College? I never ceased to be impressed by Henny.

• Regarding cpu - just tested again. 1 instance brings my iPad Pro from zero to almost 40 on the cpu. Definitely room for improvement there!

• edited October 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Regarding cpu - just tested again. 1 instance brings my iPad Pro from zero to almost 40 on the cpu. Definitely room for improvement there!!

Are there any limits on polyphony or does every key get a voice? Could this explain anything?

• This has much better polyphony than apesoft electric. Apesoft Electric can generally not handle 4 tracks of midi from Polyphase, it cuts out after a while, it gets overloaded. House Mark I can handle tons. So yeah, maybe they need to introduce optional polyphony limits on this to hell bring down the cpu load, good point, worth mentioning here to @analog_matt

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @ALB As an owner of Neo soul keys I can tell you that you probably could duplicate any of these sounds and have even more controls with that immense app. Many of the apps out there are able to replicate each other’s sounds nowadays. If this app had sounds that were impossible to duplicate it likely would not sound like any electric piano you’ve ever heard before.

Yeah, I can't speak for NepSoul keys as I don't have it, but this definitely has a different character to Electric. Electric strikese as more gruff and bluesy. It has hairs on its chest. This is like Electric's pretty and sweet natured little sister.

• edited October 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Regarding cpu - just tested again. 1 instance brings my iPad Pro from zero to almost 40 on the cpu. Definitely room for improvement there!

Yea but do you know about the cpu thing. I don’t quite know all the terminology and whatnot but basically If you Have 1 or 2 apps open it’s not using the full processing power, add a couple more apps and it will go over the initial limit, and open up the full processing power thus lowering the DSP/CPU. I learned about it in this forum. I believe @Samu explained it in a thread awhile back. Maybe he could chime in to help me explain it better. I’ll look for the thread.

• Here’s a comment from @brambos in another thread. “ It seems weird at first, but keep in mind that all CPU cores can and will be throttled (i.e. run at less than their max speed). So it could be that opening the GUI tickles a throttled core and forces it to start working at full speed, causing the overall percentage of CPU load to go down (because more power suddenly becomes available).“

• Comment from @wim in another thread. “ CPU monitors in iOS aren't accurate representations and shouldn’t be relied on. For one thing, the device curtails processor power when not needed to prolong battery life. You could well see CPU utilization go down by loading it more heavily.

What counts is how much you can load it down without getting crackles.”

• Thanks guys, I don't know much about the technicalities of that but sure I have noticed weird things like sometimes adding a new app into the mix actually brings dsp down! It's still heavy though. One instance of Apesoft Electric in aum comes to 6-7 percent.

• Hmm, that does sound really good. Thanks for the video, @Gavinski. I’m still on the fence cos I have the apesoft one and Neo-Soul Keys but I do love electric pianos

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Here’s a comment from @brambos in another thread. “ It seems weird at first, but keep in mind that all CPU cores can and will be throttled (i.e. run at less than their max speed). So it could be that opening the GUI tickles a throttled core and forces it to start working at full speed, causing the overall percentage of CPU load to go down (because more power suddenly becomes available).“

Yepp, It's the CPU throttling that is playing tricks. Under lower CPU usage the slower cores are used and when cpu demand rises it's handed over to the higher efficiency cores. (Just like it should for saving battery and keeping the device cool).

As far as I know there is now way to manually enable/disable high-efficiency cores other than faking a CPU-load.
    I've stopped looking at the CPU %. If it works it works if it crackles even after adjusting buffers I'm pushing it too hard.

I may end up getting the app later but I've already got a bunch of electric pianos and I tend to prefer DX-Type sounds...
    (The AudioKit Retro Piano more than well covers my needs for this type of piano sounds as well).

Cheers!

• Hmm, strangely, now I opened a lone instance of House in AUM and it’s only hitting 10 percent, weird.

• @Gavinski said:
    Hmm, strangely, now I opened a lone instance of House in AUM and it’s only hitting 10 percent, weird.

Classic case of CPU throttling. CPU might have been 'hot' when you launched it ;)

• Now I have fugue machine playing 5 instances and totalling about 30 dsp. So yeah, seems fine sometimes, nothing to see here, carry on, app-ologies for the drama 😂

• @Gavinski said:
    @samu thnx

You're welcome. Don't know how well it will run on my ancient iPad Air 2. Have not gotten the app yet...

• Wow...this Piano sounds beautiful. Awesome to see Henny branching out into this world.

• Love Audiokit apps. Another winner. And only $3.99!