Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best headphone for iPad BELOW 100$ as a second pair

I already have 2 outstanding Beyerdynamic pairs of headphones but I used it at home only. I'm looking for a pair less expensive that I can throw in my bag without fear of breaking it. I don't know why, but headphones tends to brake when in contact with me.

Do you have suggestions for headphones less than 100$? I was looking for this: 50MM Drivers Studio Headphones MAONO AU-MH601 Over Ear Stereo Monitor Closed Back Headphones

It's hard to know when you cannot tried it but I really trust this forum so I'm open to your suggestions.

Cheers!

Comments

• edited October 2020

Not too sure about build strength but Homie is open to answering questions of you want to ask him I am pretty sure he would reply.

• edited October 2020

Oh and you could always consider getting a hard shell case for them if they fold down well. i use Senheiseer 380HD pro which have a case but alas I think the pads do not like glasses and fall apart easily. I have bought three pairs now (one for the mrs) but will probably be moving on to buddies recommendation above as I need to replace pads too much or not wear glasses.

• I’ve used these for years, replaced the pads about 5 times and they still work perfectly. They’re pretty flat. Good for mixing, probably not as exciting for listening.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/

• Some people look down on them and frankly the build quality isnt amazing but i really enjoy my Skullcandy cans.

Skullcandy crusher, i think. The older non bt model. I dont use the sub bass function which requires a AA battery but it is kind of cool, like a haptic vibration. They can be found so cheap on ebay.

My other headphones are AudioTechnica ATHM50, Shure SRH840 and a cheap pair of KZATE earbuds (which sound very impressive for the super low price) that i take on commutes.

• @AudioGus said:

Not too sure about build strength but Homie is open to answering questions of you want to ask him I am pretty sure he would reply.

Whats up with the presenter pulling a derpy face on the thumbnail.

• @sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

I just assumed that youtube must reject videos without inane reaction thumbnails.

• @AudioGus said:

@sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

I just assumed that youtube must reject videos without inane reaction thumbnails.

Poor form from them. I refuse to click on videos with derpy presenters.

• @robertreynolds and I agree. Incredible! Sony MDR7506

• @LinearLineman said:
    @robertreynolds and I agree. Incredible! Sony MDR7506

Yes. They aren’t the sexy choice today, but they’re tried and true and were industry standard, for what felt like eons.

• @sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

@sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

YouTube is more difficult than ever, and unfortunately for some, clickbait/attention grabbing thumbnails are just the norm to be a successful channel. Clearly his formula is working: 621,000 subscribers and 31,000 views in 5 days!

• Not going to say the best, but I’ve been very satisfied with my ath m40x. They’re reasonably flat and punch well above the $75(find a sale)or so I paid for them. For the sake of comfort I’d suggest replacing the pads.

• Superlux HD 681B translate good.

• Here's another Beyerdynamic advertisement:

Decent <$100 Closed-back Headphones that are fairly balanced:
    Status Audio CB-1 $60. The $300 Mackie headphones are based on these.
    AKG K361 $99. Designed around the Harman curve.

Decent <$100 IEMs that are reliable:
    Yamaha EPH-100 $150/70. Analytical.
    Shure SE215 $90. Balanced.
    Panasonic ErgoFit RP-HJE120/125 $9. Better than many $50 headphones.

• @AudioGus That's a fairly reasonable review!
    I can confirm the AKG 702 vs DT770 shootout.
    Wih the 702, transparency, clarity, depth win and if I had to choose a headphones to listen to modern music for hours, I would use this one. Bass isn't as super prominent as with the DT770 and modern music wich usually has a lot more bass than older mixes can get fatiguing on the DT770. Plus you don't get hot ears as with the DT770 especially in summer.
    The DT770 however has excellent isolation (you won't disturb others and you won't hear too much noise from around you) and its bass boost characteristics can be fun, especially when you're listening to music from the 70s and 80s which had much less bassy mixes. I mostly use it when composing and doing sound design on the iPad but I do have to swap headphones when I need to get a neutral image of my mix.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

@sippy_cup said:

@AudioGus said:

YouTube is more difficult than ever, and unfortunately for some, clickbait/attention grabbing thumbnails are just the norm to be a successful channel. Clearly his formula is working: 621,000 subscribers and 31,000 views in 5 days!

his formula or the bar has been set too low.

• Sennheiser HD280

I’ve broken 2 pairs of MDR7506 travelling.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @robertreynolds and I agree. Incredible! Sony MDR7506

Yes. They aren’t the sexy choice today, but they’re tried and true and were industry standard, for what felt like eons.

+1

Have also heard great things about Sennheiser HD280

• @waynerowand said:
    Not going to say the best, but I’ve been very satisfied with my ath m40x. They’re reasonably flat and punch well above the $75(find a sale)or so I paid for them. For the sake of comfort I’d suggest replacing the pads.

I second this!

• There is no flat sounding headphone at this price range (and arguably at any price range, but there are certainly less glaring flaws at higher price ranges), so it's really a case of choosing the sound signature you prefer.

If you want a brighter sounding headphone then go for the MDR7506, Status Audio, or AKG.

If you prefer a warmer sounding headphone then choose the DT770s, Audio-Technicas, or Sennheisers.

Although the DT770s could actually be described as both warm and bright (scooped mids, deep bass, prominent highs). For me personally the MDR7506 and AKG are just too shrill, but plenty of people seem to like them (especially the Sonys).

I thought the video posted above that compared 10 budget models was pretty accurate, and in this price range the DT770s are probably the best bet, unless you really hate bass.

• edited October 2020

I love bass, but the DT770 16/32/80-ohm's ~100hz bump sounds unnatural to my ears. Same with the ATH-M50s. Personal preferences, of course. My ears are much less-sensitive to treble and sub-bass than they were 20 years ago, so I'm finding AKG's K361 and K371's Harman curve design to be nearly ideal.
    I say get a fairly-balanced set for your particular ears, and make comfort a top-priority, Impedance and sensitivity measurements matter, of course.

• @Sequencer1 said:
    I love bass, but the DT770 16/32/80-ohm's ~100hz bump sounds unnatural to my ears. Same with the ATH-M50s. Personal preferences, of course. My ears are much less-sensitive to treble and sub-bass than they were 20 years ago, so I'm finding AKG's K361 and K371's Harman curve design to be nearly ideal.
    I say get a fairly-balanced set for your particular ears, and make comfort a top-priority, Impedance and sensitivity measurements matter, of course.

Harman curve is good, I haven't checked out those models - they seem well-priced.

The bass (and highs) in the DT770s can easily be tamed with Morphit, which will make them sound much flatter and make them more useful for mixing. But of course that applies to any headphones that Morphit supports.

• I will always suggest Sony MDR 7506, I love them so much for mixing

• @richardyot said:

@Sequencer1 said:

Harman curve is good, I haven't checked out those models - they seem well-priced.

The bass (and highs) in the DT770s can easily be tamed with Morphit, which will make them sound much flatter and make them more useful for mixing. But of course that applies to any headphones that Morphit supports.

The new K361/371's don't have the signature AKG sound (boosted upper-mids, weak sub-bass). The K371s extend a little more in the sub-bass versus the K361s, and are a touch warmer in the trebles. Some may say that the K361s are more analytical, though nothing approaching K702 65ths or DT880s. I got the Bluetooth version first, and even when wired they don't sound as good as the regular versions.

• If you want cheap and cheerful, Sennheiser HD 201, if they still make them. Think they cost me £17

• @Sequencer1 said:

@richardyot said:

@Sequencer1 said:

The new K361/371's don't have the signature AKG sound (boosted upper-mids, weak sub-bass). The K371s extend a little more in the sub-bass versus the K361s, and are a touch warmer in the trebles. Some may say that the K361s are more analytical, though nothing approaching K702 65ths or DT880s. I got the Bluetooth version first, and even when wired they don't sound as good as the regular versions.

Well I just looked into the AKG K371, and apparently they're within 1db of the Harman curve, in which case I can't imagine there is a better headphone to be had in this price range.

I listen to my HD650s corrected to the Harman curve on my PC, it's pretty close to ideal IMO. And I'm sure Morphit is using something very close to the Harman curve as well.

• edited October 2020

These Philips SHP9500 are a huge value. They sound great and are fairly neutral. Big plus: the cable is detachable; if it breaks (and they always do), swap in any stereo mini cable. Another big plus: they are open-back.

• @Jocphone said:
    If you want cheap and cheerful, Sennheiser HD 201, if they still make them. Think they cost me £17

My first descent headphones ! I don’t think they are in production

I have the 380 pro , balanced ,a bit low mid oriented , excellent depth of field , average stereo field , bad built quality
    My DT990 remain best headphone ever , had the DT770 but sold them quickly , the bass was boomy all over the place (and I play a bass). They are great for drummers

Since I’m looking for new ones has anyone tried the DT880?

• @Korakios Yup, owned both. DT880 are flatter, DT990 are V-shaped. They make a 32-ohm version for each.

@richardyot They're remarkable for the money. $80 on sale at Amazon occasionally. K361 replaced the DT770 32-ohm with the 2017 iPad with headphone jack. Tested the K371 too, but my ears preferred the K361 - they're seemingly a touch brighter.

• edited October 2020

Another fan of Sony MDR7506s, which I've used forever, but considering the application, here's a recommendation that could get me tossed from the forum...

These ridiculously inexpensive Panasonic headphones perform way above their price point. You wouldn't mix on them, and they're leaky so they can't be used in front of a mic, but they're super lightweight very listenable. They will definitely break sooner or later so I always buy more than one, and the little foam pads wear out, too, but they're also replaceable.

For the price of a latte they may be worth checking out.

• I just recently got a pair of MDR-7506's to replace my ATH-M50x which 'broke down'. The padding they used got all mushy and flaky and how should I put it 'sticky' so I had like black powder everywhere after wearing them for a while and my ears get all sweaty.

I know the earpads on the MDR-7506's will wear out sooner or later but at least replacements are easily find :)

Soundwise I just have to say, why did I wait so long to get them?!?
    ...I would have saved a lot cash on cans over the years by going straight fro the 7506's...
    They are also very easily driven with just about anything and will go to damagingly loud levels!

I've heard that you either love or hate the sound of the 7506's...
    ...I'd take the 7506's over M50x without hesitation! :D
    (I did try the DT770 Pro 80Ohms but preferred the sound of the 7506's so I got them instead).

Cheers!