Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - October 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

If I never told you
    what you mean to me
    If I never let you
    close enough to see
    the real man
    who’s not so bad
    the father that you never had

I left when you were young
    You were only four
    I left behind my old life
    You never saw me anymore
    All my life
    There was a void inside of me
    All my life
    A child that I wished I could see

I often think about you
    Do you think of me?
    I wish that could find you
    I miss you terribly
    But maybe you
    Have got a dad
    A real one who’s not so bad

I left when you were young
    You were only four
    I left behind my old life
    You never saw me anymore
    All my life
    There was a void inside of me
    All my life
    A child that I wished I could see

• edited October 2020

I’m using Launchpad and its Soundpack samples again for this month's song.

This one is more whimsical than my previous efforts.

It's titled UFO.

• Hello this month we post an important contribution to US elections. As far as we know here in our far far mountains, this question has never been asked.

Who will you bequeath your toupee to?

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/manors-kitchen

• @DavidEnglish said:

It's titled UFO.

Nice arrangement and good choice of sounds. The track builds nicely before winding down again. Cold and futuristic.

• edited October 2020

@Kitusai said:
    Hello this month we post an important contribution to US elections. As far as we know here in our far far mountains, this question has never been asked.

Who will you bequeath your toupee to?

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/manors-kitchen

The little atmospheric sounds that lurk behind the arpeggio are what make this track for me. The percussion elements are great, and they add a nice element of variation over the repeated riff.

The music is as whimsical as the theme.

• @Mencey said:
    Recorded & Mixed in Cubasis
    https://menceymusic.bandcamp.com/track/locky

A solid arrangement and a good vocal. It's well-produced and well mixed to a professional standard. Some good vocal melodies and some nice instrumental ideas to go with them. My only crit is that it's a bit long, I would be tempted to shave a minute or two off the track but otherwise it's very good.

• My first post to Song of the Month. I wrote this song for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and recorded it at home during the corona virus lockdown. The piano sound is my version of the Salamander Grand (I have posted sf2 versions on this forum) but all instrumentation and recording was done on my Korg Pa3x.

• @Reuben said:
    My first post to Song of the Month. I wrote this song for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and recorded it at home during the corona virus lockdown. The piano sound is my version of the Salamander Grand (I have posted sf2 versions on this forum) but all instrumentation and recording was done on my Korg Pa3x.

Welcome to the club, and what a great first entry!

It's extremely polished and well-written and produced, and has the feel of a classic ballad, I could imagine Elton John singing this in the mid-eighties.

The piano intro is excellent, the Salamander sounds really good, sparkly and bright. The vocal is excellent, softly sung but with a great vocal tone. The melody is very good, and really sets the song apart from the crowd. The little instrumental break half-way through is a nice touch, just before the strings come in and the lift the song to another level.

The ending is also very well arranged, with the doubling on the vocals and the increased volume building the song towards the finale. All in all this is a stellar track, well-written and composed, well performed and well produced. Great job. 👍

• Thanks for taking the time to listen Richard and I appreciate your encouragement. I've got to say I was a little reluctant to post this song because I feel like it perhaps was not relavant to the audiobus audience. I'm kind of stuck in the 70/80's music genre of strong melody and real instruments so I'm very happy you liked it!

• @Reuben said:
    Thanks for taking the time to listen Richard and I appreciate your encouragement. I've got to say I was a little reluctant to post this song because I feel like it perhaps was not relavant to the audiobus audience. I'm kind of stuck in the 70/80's music genre of strong melody and real instruments so I'm very happy you liked it!

Nothing wrong with strong melody and real instruments. This is the Song Of The Month Club after all. 🎹

• Ob-x, story sample and Tfx Reverb

• @Sergiu said:
    Ob-x, story sample and Tfx Reverb

Simple and to the point, with some atmospheric spoken word samples. It could maybe do with fleshing out a bit though, because it feels a little one-dimensional to me, there's not much going on over the four and a half minutes other than the filter modulation on the arp. Maybe a change of pace or a different riff for the arp to play to introduce some variety?

• Good points Richard! Yeah it is just a short jam/phrase ! Thx

• @Mencey said:
    Recorded & Mixed in Cubasis
    https://menceymusic.bandcamp.com/track/locky

Perfectly at home with late eighties Roxy Music

• @DavidEnglish said:

It's titled UFO.

I feel like the sounds could use a bit more body - some mid range. It’s a bit “sterile”. Nice dynamics.

• @Reuben said:
    My first post to Song of the Month. I wrote this song for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and recorded it at home during the corona virus lockdown. The piano sound is my version of the Salamander Grand (I have posted sf2 versions on this forum) but all instrumentation and recording was done on my Korg Pa3x.

Very, very well arranged. Do you have a pop filter for your mic? I wanted a bit more vocal dynamics the rest of the stellar performance was begging for it. You wouldn’t have to yell, just pull back from the mic and open up a bit. <3

• @Sergiu said:

Filter fun! Great sounds and layering. What @richardyot said.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Reuben said:

Very, very well arranged. Do you have a pop filter for your mic? I wanted a bit more vocal dynamics the rest of the stellar performance was begging for it. You wouldn’t have to yell, just pull back from the mic and open up a bit. <3

Good tip - thanks. I just used a SM58 so a better mic and filter would be the way to go.

• Thanks Audible! Yeah, filter, eg and some modulation for a simple jam. Thanks for your videos. Really informative and clear explanations.> @audiblevideo said:

@Sergiu said:

Filter fun! Great sounds and layering. What @richardyot said.

• @Sergiu said:

Sounds good. Nice futuristic metropol feel.
    The lead is maybe a litle bit loud but i really like the way you are working with layers. The subtle textures in the background made me curios and made me listen carefully. The voice sounds absolutly awesome.

• Thx Lorichs! Yeah...i really dig the sound of the Ob-x on ios...the plugin it's getting better and better. I didn't spend enough time with this file...to look for the dynamics. If im not using a traditional linear song mode/daw, then all Aum stuff ends up in a short jam ( but I love Aum ) and Im sure you can make full tracks with it.> @Lorichs said:

@Sergiu said:

Sounds good. Nice futuristic metropol feel.
    The lead is maybe a litle bit loud but i really like the way you are working with layers. The subtle textures in the background made me curios and made me listen carefully. The voice sounds absolutly awesome.

• @DavidEnglish @Mencey @Reuben @Sergiu please don't forget to listen and comment on the other tracks posted in the thread. The Club only works if everyone plays fair.

• @richardyot
    "I left when you were young" - I really like the composition and arrangement here. The bass especially; sort of dark, sinister and yet energetic, keeping the song moving. The guitar with the effects really give this one a feel of frayed ends; of a worn out quality. It works really well. And that solo toward the end was a refreshing change to the vocals and yet equally mournful. But man, what a subject for the lyrics! :smile: Good stuff as always!

@DavidEnglish
    "UFO" - I enjoyed this one tremendously. The bells, like droplets falling and the kind of random beat with the mix of synths gives this peace a very otherworldly feel. But it is entirely a pleasant otherworldliness - if that makes sense. This piece deserves a well produced video (alas, not the one posted) :) Very well done!

@Kitusai
    "Manor's Kitchen" - At first I was like, wah?, Then I was like "oh?" then I kind of felt "ah". This is again a strange little piece that evokes all kinds of imagery. I love it for that. What was being said by the audio sample in the middle? I like the reverbed guitar counterpointing the muted one. The noises add a nice texture too. It felt like it was going somewhere but faded out before that. Awesome contribution for SOTM!

@Mencey
    "Locky" - Looks like Nick Cave crashed our drinking party and he was already ... Nick Caved enough. :smiley: This track was such an enjoyable listen. That little glissando on the synth works well here. And the vocals; yeah damn good. I think a lot of lovely ideas are in this song but I think there maybe too many ideas for the one piece. Or so i felt. But man, this was a solid piece of work.

@Reuben
    "Forever Love" - Very nicely produced and arranged ballad! The vocals, the vocal recording and the piano are very good. That piano tone is very pleasant as well. I only wished that there was a bit more vocal range in use during the singing. Other than than this is a lovely piece and refreshing to listen.

@Sergiu
    "Otamirato" - It is what it is; an experimental jam and I like it very much for that. The jam goes well with the imagery of neo-Tokyo I think with the vocal samples adding a nice dimension to it. Pretty good.

Thank you all for sharing your music. I have enjoyed all of them and look forward to more to be added this month (fingers crossed)! :smile:

• Here's my entry for the SOTM October 2020. The original idea for this piece was put together way back in Feb or March of 2020. I have revisited that first piece here and applied some of the new techniques I have picked up over the months. The song was supposedly the first track of the space journey themed concept album I had in mind. I hope I have given it a fitting facelift.

Beware, it is quite synth heavy. Composed entirely (as always) on Korg Gadget. Not mixed nor mastered; just exported.

Thanks for listening. Your critique and comments would mean a lot to me. :smile:

• @spyrogaia nice ballad! Great instrumentation and dynamics! If I would have anything to change in this track...maybe more texture to the instruments ( sounds pretty "preset" like)...a bit more modulation maybe! ( that's my personal take)

• @richardyot
    Another polished song with an excellent choice of instrumentation that does a great job of complementing and supporting the vocals. This one seems to place the vocals spatially on top of the instruments better than previous songs. Maybe that's because of the particular instruments. Or maybe it's a different approach to your mixing. Either way, it's highly effective.

@Kitusai
    I really like the strumming feel of the instruments. One of them sounds like a balalaika. Not sure if it is. Whatever it is, it's very good. The vocals unexpectedly enter about half way through. That works well to intensify the interest in the question posed. (Maybe Biden will ask Trump about it at the debate tonight.) Overall, it's a fine, almost whimsical song.

@Mencey
    The beginning has a nifty beat and lo-fi sound. The vocals fit right into the groove and feel of the song. I like the shift to a less lo-fi sound in the middle. Then it opens up nicely with additional instruments and a chorus. Great build-up with a smooth transition back to earlier instrumentations. It's a very polished journey with excellent sonic turns along the way.

@Reuben
    This is a nice heartfelt song. The mix functions well to allow the vocals to shine through. Overall, it's a very polished production. I assume she was happy with this melodic anniversary gift.

@Sergiu
    This song has an engaging electronic energy that sustains itself throughout. It reminds me of the times when I progressed through the Tokyo Station, as we took one escalator and another, moving from a lower level train all the way up to the ground floor.

@spyrogaia
    Atmospheric and mysterious. I really like how it shifts into a higher gear about a third of the way through. It progresses well by building a melodic line on top of the atmospheric base. I think the structure of the song does a good job of echoing the title of the song. It's as though the first third is the boarding and starting-the-engines phase. And the rest of the song is the lifting-off and flying-away phase.

• edited November 2020

• @spyrogaia said:
    Here's my entry for the SOTM October 2020. The original idea for this piece was put together way back in Feb or March of 2020. I have revisited that first piece here and applied some of the new techniques I have picked up over the months. The song was supposedly the first track of the space journey themed concept album I had in mind. I hope I have given it a fitting facelift.

Beware, it is quite synth heavy. Composed entirely (as always) on Korg Gadget. Not mixed nor mastered; just exported.

Thanks for listening. Your critique and comments would mean a lot to me. :smile:

This is nice. I enjoy the rythmic feel and the sound of it. “mysterious” is a good word for the atmosphere.
    I really miss an intro. It is like pushing play in the middle of a track. The outro could also need a bit of attention however a longer fade out might do the trick. 😊

• @spyrogaia said:
    Here's my entry for the SOTM October 2020. The original idea for this piece was put together way back in Feb or March of 2020. I have revisited that first piece here and applied some of the new techniques I have picked up over the months. The song was supposedly the first track of the space journey themed concept album I had in mind. I hope I have given it a fitting facelift.

Nice motifs. Try upping the tempo just a tad at the transition and then easing back down at the end. It might give it a little added oomph.