Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchkey MK3 - How do I use the knobs?

So I am mostly a guitarist, but I like my little novation keyboard with my iPad. Below is a song on my channel that shows how I’m using it with the Groovebox app.

But, only the keys and the square lighted buttons do anything outside Groovebox, and maybe the pitch bend. But in other synth apps and even Garageband, I can’t control volume, Filter, arpeggio, and even the little modulation slider on the left just to add expression to virtual instruments.

(Remember, I’m totally using this with an iPad, not my Mac or ableton live.)

Unless I am using novation apps, is it basically only just a plain old midi keyboard and not really anything else? There are just so many knobs that I spin that do nothing unless I am using Groovebox. At the very least, I just wish I could control volume and modulation.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• If your app has a MIDI Learn function, you can probably connect the knobs to selected controls. You need to investigate the app settings menus to find it.

• Like @uncledave says, midi learn is your friend. You can do an enormous amount with that controller in an enormous amount of apps.

As examples, for knob action try in Pure Acid or Gadget (in gadget you might get lucky with default mapping). Also brilliant for Turnado, but really any app with midi controllable knobs will be good.

Worth noting, on my older Launchkey anyway, that the pads output exclusively on midi channel 10 (even though you use them to change the keyboard midi channel). In AUM or Audiobus you can filter the midi channel and route the pads and key/knobs to different apps.

Anyway, I love your post because I know you are going to have a great time once you figure it out, Groovebox is very much just the start (though GarageBand will indeed frustrate you). Enjoy.

• @Nolefinity said:
    So I am mostly a guitarist, but I like my little novation keyboard with my iPad. Below is a song on my channel that shows how I’m using it with the Groovebox app.

But, only the keys and the square lighted buttons do anything outside Groovebox, and maybe the pitch bend. But in other synth apps and even Garageband, I can’t control volume, Filter, arpeggio, and even the little modulation slider on the left just to add expression to virtual instruments.

(Remember, I’m totally using this with an iPad, not my Mac or ableton live.)

Unless I am using novation apps, is it basically only just a plain old midi keyboard and not really anything else? There are just so many knobs that I spin that do nothing unless I am using Groovebox. At the very least, I just wish I could control volume and modulation.

Thanks for any help!

Groovebox is preconfigured to respond to the midi cc (continuous comptroller) that the launchkey sends.

For other apps, you will have to configure them to respond.

• Awesome, thanks everyone for the good answers!

I will play around with midi learn today and report back here if I have success.

Appreciate all the wisdom and experience!

• @Nolefinity said:
    Awesome, thanks everyone for the good answers!

I will play around with midi learn today and report back here if I have success.

Appreciate all the wisdom and experience!

I recommend that you get a MIDI Monitor app -- there are some free ones. You can use that to see what MIDI CC numbers the launchkey sends out. This can be helpful to know.

• Good suggestion. I’ll check that out! Thanks

• @espiegel123 said:
    I recommend that you get a MIDI Monitor app -- there are some free ones. You can use that to see what MIDI CC numbers the launchkey sends out. This can be helpful to know.

CC21-28 knobs on my Launchkey mini mkII

• edited October 2020

@Nolefinity I just watched your video, a fine example to me of the benefits of keeping things simple. Two apps, a keyboard and a guitar all working seamlessly together - I’m so jealous that the only things cluttering your desk are two plectrums :)

I bought my Launchkey before Groovebox and blocs wave existed, so I’ve never really made the most of that functionality, you’ve inspired me to try a streamlined Novation session.

However... as you indicate in your original post, plenty more apps out there. I think Enso would suit your guitar playing on a decaying loop. That and a Bluetooth foot controller. Maybe you’re already on top of such things?

Will check out your other vids, enjoyed this one.

EDIT ‘steve guitar’ - you made a channel for me :)

• edited October 2020

Instant results here :) I’ve had my Launchkey hooked up indirectly for a couple of years, I.e. via Bluetooth or a 5 pin midi converter.

Very recently I got a CCK recommended here (link from @Gravitas below) with 2 USB ports, so now I can have my audio interface and a midi controller with no need for a usb hub.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-iPhone-8Pin-Lightning-to-USB-3-0-Camera-Adapter-Charging-Cable-OTG-Data-Sync/264758054301?hash=item3da4cf4d9d:g:WvwAAOSwB5Fe3y~7

Just reconnected my Launchkey the proper way (usb) with Groovebox and look at all the happy lights. Thanks @Nolefinity, rocking in my kitchen on a Sunday morning :)

• Thanks @steve99 ! Nice name ;-)

I really appreciate your suggestions and links, and that’s cool that you’ve enjoyed my video and music. Glad you like it!

That desk is actually a piano, and I go through times where it’s a bit messy, but I do try to keep it simple. Here’s a different view from a recent live stream, not close up, but you can see that The launch key is on top of the closed piano cover. I built the opening loop using Groovebox and my Stratocaster, and at 10;48, I start playing a “Pipa” instrument in garageband.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips. I’m going to try some stuff out that you recommend. 👍