Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Okay, I get it. Boundaries. That's why I can't use Logic to originate stuff.

I just realised this evening. Why I can't use Logic to originate anything. I should be able to, it's superbly capable, it should be the thing to go to first.

It's because it's on exactly the same computer that I use all day to do actual work on. That's why.

Comments

• EXACTFUCKINGLY. At least with the iPad you ditch the mouse and use your fingers...
    I always explain it that way. I’m working on my laptop 8-10h straight. I finish and I’m supposed to switch to “creative Funtime” while being in the exact same position, hinged to a mouse. No.
    Ideally it’d be all knobs and loose the big screen, that is., no iPad. But that’s just too much, too hard,

• Yup, on paper, Reason is everything I want / need / etc. But yeah, after sitting in front of the laptop for a full day’s work it is exactly the LAST thing I wanna do lol.

• Behringer synth and volcas calling your names and mine too

• @u0421793 said:
    I just realised this evening. Why I can't use Logic to originate anything. I should be able to, it's superbly capable, it should be the thing to go to first.

It's because it's on exactly the same computer that I use all day to do actual work on. That's why.

Yep. This is why I reached complete paralysis making music on computers for several years. As soon as I would sit down at a DAW my creativity would just ... evaporate. It wasn't until I got an iPad that I could create anything except on my guitar again. It's why, even with all the limitations of iOS, I can only be creative away from the desktop.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2020

Yes, I find it very hard to be creative sitting at a computer desk; it tends to come much easier relaxing on the couch with an iPad.

• great point.
    i've found it's best to have a few key pieces of hardware that compel you to sit at them and write/rec/play... & the DAW just functions as the tape machine.

• The problem with daws is that it takes a bit of time to get going. I’ve seen a lot of producers on youtube saying that they either compose on the piano, guitar or just load a simple piano patch into the daw and write the song with that first. If it starts with a lot of sound design, it’s hard to switch back to idea generating mode. Ipad apps tend to be quicker and more shallow, so you get a limited feature set but you get it fast.

I think it’s a matter of approach. You can get there just as well on a full-featured daw if you go at it very methodically – from general to particular, structure to detail. But that means drawing your own limits while you work.

• Exactly, Desktops and Daws are great for finishing but not inspiring for starting projects. So ipad +/- hardware is where I begin.

• Songs start in my head, not on any computer. And then I need something to print it as quickly as possible.

• edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I might be the opposite. I switched to a Chromebook that runs Android as my daily computer so I (re)bought FL Studio Mobile last night and already I've doodled out more music than I have on my iPads in recent memory. In fact, I switched over and made something in FLM between writing the last sentence and this one. I've never gotten on with touch screens (I can use mouse and keyboard in FLM on CB) or the "hands-off!" (non)handling of files in iOS so I think my next computer will be a Macbook.