Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: New Autechre

The latest record by Autechre just dropped. In the words of my former indie-rock bandmates who heard my iPad sounds after a couple of years away:
"It's ... not really music, is it?"

:) It actually sounds very harmonic for them.

Comments

• Cool. Will give it a listen. The track F7 sounds nice so far.

• Listened to it on Spotify today. Wasn't as impressed as I was hoping I'd be.

My first exposure to them was Tri Repetae. That took time for me to appreciate but eventually blew me away. Same with Exai a few years later. I think I have one other album but don't recall which one.

For fans... which studio album of theirs is hands down their best in your opinion?

• It's hard to say. I actually kind of like what I'm hearing.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1KBFcrlvo6vDVOSrWoYy3K

For me their peak was "Fold 4, Wrap 5," which is an amazing feat of speeding up and slowing down. I was just searched the song to make sure I had the title correct, and it seems there are MANY threads wondering how they did it!

From a Reddit post: Just realized that the tempo quadruples as it slows and the phrase repeats every five measures. It's like a barber pole or Shepard tempo!

• It’s hard to pin down a ‘best’ because each album of theirs is so unique. Tri Reptae, LP5, Amber, Envane, and Cichlisuite are among my favorite.. all albums from somewhat early in their career. They were undoubtedly more ‘conventional’ and melodic at that time, but to me I find that side of them the most moving and powerful. Krib from Cichlisuite still can give me goosebumps.. a reaction their later material just fails to match imo.

• Lol will have a listen the the new album on Spotify but I'm not too hopeful.
    Amber is an absolute masterpiece but to me things quickly became unlistenable after Tri Repetae.
    I'm not saying all music should be hummable but I need some kind of hook; a tapable rhythm, a moody chord progression, a melodic noodle of some kind, anything!

• I've only listened to a few tracks so far. My initial impression is that it is like a lot of electronic music - brilliant from a sound design perspective but not necessarily something I would see myself wanting to listen to much, except in tje context of thinking 'wow, how did they do that?'. Same goes even for something like Boards of Canada. Some incredible, incredible tracks that stay with me forever on every album. And then a fair bit of stuff that just doesn't grab me and that I find myself skipping over when I listen to the albums.

• @skiphunt said:
    Listened to it on Spotify today. Wasn't as impressed as I was hoping I'd be.

My first exposure to them was Tri Repetae. That took time for me to appreciate but eventually blew me away. Same with Exai a few years later. I think I have one other album but don't recall which one.

For fans... which studio album of theirs is hands down their best in your opinion?

Not too impressed with Signs. But it sounds technically beautiful. Lots of black space and great soundstage depth. I wonder what ADC/DACs they're using these days.

Chiastic Slide is my favorite. Along with Untilted and Quaristice. NTS Sessions is amazing. Not too impressed with their Max stuff. Or the ambient stuff.

• @skiphunt said:
    Listened to it on Spotify today. Wasn't as impressed as I was hoping I'd be.

I just discovered them about a month ago and started with Tri Repetae. The method of listening to them for me is on in the background - which I normally do not do with music. I’m finding it worming it’s way into my psyche this way. Suddenly something hits me and I need to stop and listen intently. The more I do this the more I find myself digging it. Anyhow, something new is exciting!

• edited October 2020

While much of Autechre's discography is harsh and challenging, they've also made a great deal of accessible music - much of which is utterly beautiful, or just makes you want to dance.

Here's a few songs that I think newcomers to Autechre would enjoy. Selections all predate 1998 (best Autechre period imo).

Eggshell

Arch Carrier

Corc

Krib

Slip

Bike

• @Gavinski said:
    I've only listened to a few tracks so far. My initial impression is that it is like a lot of electronic music - brilliant from a sound design perspective but not necessarily something I would see myself wanting to listen to much, except in tje context of thinking 'wow, how did they do that?'. Same goes even for something like Boards of Canada. Some incredible, incredible tracks that stay with me forever on every album. And then a fair bit of stuff that just doesn't grab me and that I find myself skipping over when I listen to the albums.

Marijuana?

• Hahaha, that is the missing link perhaps 😋

• I bought Borderlands on sale this morning, was thinking it would be good to go on an extended smokey journey there... instead I’m hosting a children’s party. Oh well. I can still dream.

• I have so much love for Autechre. Since hearing them in the first Artificial Intelligence compilation back in ‘93. The Incunabula LP is one of my most played records. Their more beats style with Gescom perfectly fused electronica and hip hop for me. I would have been happy for them to continue to make that early style for the rest of their career.

But then they forged ahead deep into their own path of electronic symphonies. Like no one else. They are one of the most singular music acts I can think of. Both in their sound and in their ethos and they way they interact with media.

They remind me of Sun Ra without the fashion sense. Seriously.

They are the closest I get to trance music.

I love that they are still making music. After the first listen, I know I am going to enjoy the new album SIGN very much. Inspiring.

• My favourite Autechre album is Incunubula. It's one of my all time favourites. I unwittingly obtained it when I purchased Surfing on Sinewaves by Polygon Window (RDJ). The CD audio contained Incunubula, despite being printed and packaged as Surfing on Sinewaves. I wrote to Warp Records about it, and they responded with a hand written note saying it was a printing error, and I could send it back to them for a replacement. I did not send it back.

Haven't listened to Sign yet but I'm looking forward to it!

• @Sapper said:
    My favourite Autechre album is Incunubula. It's one of my all time favourites. I unwittingly obtained it when I purchased Surfing on Sinewaves by Polygon Window (RDJ). The CD audio contained Incunubula, despite being printed and packaged as Surfing on Sinewaves. I wrote to Warp Records about it, and they responded with a hand written note saying it was a printing error, and I could send it back to them for a replacement. I did not send it back.

Haven't listened to Sign yet but I'm looking forward to it!

Wow that's gotta be some kind of holy grail for Warp geek collectors.

My mate Charlie wrote to Autechre to ask them about Amber (can't remember what exactly). He got a handwritten letter back with some rolling papers in the envelope!