Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Weird instruments you wish you could play

Gotta be the theorbo, especially when you mic it up to a Marshall stack.

Comments

• I would need a taller ceiling

• @craftycurate said:
    Gotta be the theorbo, especially when you mic it up to a Marshall stack.

Weird instruments you wish you could buy

• Sitar or tabla would be great to learn (properly, not just try to play Western music on them). Not weird as much as learning them is based on learning a while new basis to music theory and practice.

• I wish I knew how to play the hammered dulcimer. I guess I’d probably need to own one too.

• The Cristal Baschet

• Lots of them. Whenever there are events with presence of merchants from other countries, I like to see if they are selling instruments :lol:

But if I had to pick one, that would be the Hurdy Gurdy. It's the kind of thing I would never find here in Brazil

• @senhorlampada said:
    Lots of them. Whenever there are events with presence of merchants from other countries, I like to see if they are selling instruments :lol:

But if I had to pick one, that would be the Hurdy Gurdy. It's the kind of thing I would never find here in Brazil

I so want a quality hurdy gurdy, but they are rather pricey.
    I love their sound. Some day though...
    In my more macabre moments, I like to imagine hurdy gurdy men playing in the crowds during public executions in the old days of Europe. It just adds to the eerie and chilling atmosphere.

• The waterphone

• I spent a lot of years playing around with wierd instruments. Had Tabla lessons for a couple of years, then went off on a folk dance tangent and learnt the melodeon.
    It's quite difficult to take them out of their cultural context often being quite specific. Particularly with the traditional Indian music it requires a lot of time (as in years) and huge dedication to get to a point where you can really start to get that buzz. For an outsider to that community it's not easy to sustain that level of involvement.
    I just got bored with Folk dance stuff. The Melodeon is a quirky beast, makes a proper racket, fun to play, again not easy to master. Great for Hornpipes and Morris dancing, on the Americas side, Cajun and Quebecois. I found it difficult to break out of musical enclave from where they came, it's like being trapped in some historical reinactment. It's good to know something about these things but does get limiting.
    Wierdest instrument I'd like to learn, the Linnstrument.

• Morena Baccarin.

• edited October 2020

Handpan, Kantele. I have a basic Kantele, that's straightforward to play because it's diatonic but a concert Kantele would be a dream.

Also, Sitar.

• Hardingfele. Love the tone on that instrument.

I'd also love to mess around with an NS/Stick, but that feels like cheating since I can already play guitar/bass.

• I've wanted one of these for many years, but can never get the manufacturer to reply to me:

• @auxmux said:
    Handpan, Kantele. I have a basic Kantele, that's straightforward to play because it's diatonic but a concert Kantele would be a dream.

Also, Sitar.

I actually studied sitar at music college under a pupil of Ravi Shankar. There’s a lot of discomfort involved. You have to sit cross-legged on the floor, with the bowl of the sitar resting in the concave part of your foot, which promptly goes to sleep, and the misrab (plectrum) is a wire frame which you wear on the end of your index finger a bit like the wire holding the cork in a bottle of champagne, only in this case it’s real pain because the wire digs into your finger like a bastard, which is nearly, but not quite, enough to distract from the fact that running the end of your other index finger up and down another length of wire gets quite uncomfortable after a while. Oh, and all sitar players smell of coconut, because you have to use generous amounts of coconut oil to stave off the blisters caused by friction...

Great instrument though. I should have listed mine in the Gear You Regret Selling thread.

• Wow @TheOriginalPaulB Good to know about first hand experience. LOL at coconut.

• Confirm the first hand experience with sitar, it caused me to stop. I now play persian setar wich is a much more friendly instrument. You have to get at ease with the sound of persian scales with their 3/4 tones intervals though.

• This. (first one)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

That’s two of us, my brother.

• @ecamburn said:
    I wish I knew how to play the hammered dulcimer. I guess I’d probably need to own one too.

Michael Eskin offers a very good iOS emulation of one.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @JeffChasteen said:

@ecamburn said:
    I wish I knew how to play the hammered dulcimer. I guess I’d probably need to own one too.

He removed Audiobus compatibility from many of his apps, so check prior to purchase.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@ecamburn said:

He removed Audiobus compatibility from many of his apps, so check prior to purchase.

Very true.

I don’t know why he did so.

• Theremin