Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Maschine+ iPad Combo Playground : Contribute Tracks

Greetings. I know that a few of us are venturing into the Maschine+ world, and I thought it might be a good thing to start a thread independent of the comparison one already up.

So, to start things off, here are 2 early examples of how I'm fairing with this new workflow. I am learning a little bit more each day and really enjoying the process of creating tracks which leverage great synths on the iPad and great instruments and drums on the M+. The combo of the 2 pieces of kit just feels right at my fingertips. I wish I had known how nice the Maschine workflow was, as I would have opted for an MK3 a long time ago, instead of going down the MPC route...which if I'm being honest, always seemed like a good idea, until I really wanted to get in to a state of 'flow' while making music...all too often small things would interrupt my thought process and I'd find myself messing around too often with the software, and less time tweaking my sounds and compositions.

I'm happy to report, the M+ almost disappears while I'm exploring sounds and textures as I try and move them in ways that feel good to my heart. It really feels like an instrument, which I find really satisfying.

Ok, enough woo woo muttering. Here are a couple vids and photos to kick off the thread of 2 Great Devices coming together to create magic. I hope @WillieNegus @dreamrobe @AlaErt and other Maschine+Headz add to this thread with their work...

Experiment 1:

Experiment 2:

Comments

• these sound awesome man!
    are you able to tweak the ios synths from m+ or is it handling the sequencing /triggering only?

• @WillieNegus said:
    Nice work as usual. 💪🏽

I’m experiencing random reboots every hour or so and am told by support to swap it out. Look forward to having something to contribute here shortly.

Doh...sorry to hear that man...hope it's fixed ASAP

Here's a little longer groove from today:

• @echoopera how do you manage the low audio input volume of M+?
    It seems to suffer from the same issue as MK3. You really need to drive that signal in order for Maschine to pick it up.

• Hrmmm...haven't really noticed it as a problem for my stuff as of yet...

• Another Day with this instrument is making this whole music making thing a ton of fun again:

• edited October 2020

So had a few moments to test things out and was able to successfully get the following setup:

The FocusRite Scarlett is feeding all audio to the Maschine+
    The M+ is sequencing the following:
    . Toraiz AS-1
    . DigiTone
    . Arturia MicroFreak
    . iPad running Aparillo in AUM

So this is going to be a good thing. Can’t wait to push it even further.

• @echoopera said:
    So had a few moments to test things out and was able to successfully get the following setup:

. Toraiz AS-1
    . DigiTone
    . Arturia MicroFreak

Is the Novation Audiohub involved?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@echoopera said:

. Toraiz AS-1
    . DigiTone
    . Arturia MicroFreak

Is the Novation Audiohub involved?

Yes. The iPad is connected to it and the Mio is routed from the M+ to sequence it. Audio goes into the Scarlett.

• edited October 2020

A little midi routing how to:

• @echoopera said:

hi, nice tutorial ! but does AUM see your maschine+ as USB midi device ?! does it mean that the M+ is (midi)class compliant? my ipad does not recognize it - i tried different cables. for me it was clear that its not midi class compiant (like the octatrack and the mpc live aren't) so i used a 5pin-midi to usb interface and i did achieve the same result you did. but over usb would be much nicer. how did you do it .. or what am i missing? thnx

• @AlaErt said:

@echoopera said:

hi, nice tutorial ! but does AUM see your maschine+ as USB midi device ?! does it mean that the M+ is (midi)class compliant? my ipad does not recognize it - i tried different cables. for me it was clear that its not midi class compiant (like the octatrack and the mpc live aren't) so i used a 5pin-midi to usb interface and i did achieve the same result you did. but over usb would be much nicer. how did you do it .. or what am i missing? thnx

Thanks. The M+ shows up as a USB Midi device on the iPad in AUM. I just plugged the USB from the M+ into the USB Hub that the iPad is the host of and all is good.

• thnx ! very strange. i tried 3 different hubs and 2 different cables/adapters. no way. Hope the usb port of the M+ is not fried

• edited October 2020

Be sure to turn on the USB Midi port in the Settings>Midi on the M+. It defaults to Midi as the Output. Around 1:15 in the video.

• i did that. No chance i’m afraid my usb port has a problem.
    BTW another interesting info: i connected a system-1m and a roland tr8s to the maschine+‘ s usb via usb hub, and both are recognized as audio interfaces (besides as midi over usb), which is quite cool, considering that both devices in the past needed a driver to achieve that on osx/win 👍🏻

• @AlaErt Which iPad are you using? It appears that echoopera is using a USB-C iPad. And a USB hub.
    And did the System-1m & TR-8s recently get the class-compliant update like MC-707 did?

• @Sequencer1 said:
    @AlaErt Which iPad are you using? It appears that echoopera is using a USB-C iPad. And a USB hub.
    And did the System-1m & TR-8s recently get the class-compliant update like MC-707 did?

ipad pro 2020 12.9” with usb-c hub, with usb-hub with power, without power, with usb-b to direct usb-c cable, with usb-a to C adapter ... everything. ;) Tonight i’m going to try to connect the M+ to a mac so i can understand if it’s usb port is gone.

regarding system1 tr8-s: yea, could be that the tr8s got class compliant with the latest 2.0 update, which would be an explanation. But in the case of the rather old system1m that’s not the case for sure. so i’m confused why it is showing up as audio interface ! :)

• That is really strange, esp. if System-1m hasn't been updated in a while. Maybe Maschine+'s Linux has the drivers already.

Even stranger that it and the TR8s show up on the M+, but not your iPad.

Hopefully your M+ is okay. :)

• Do you feel satisfied with the cost and product? Did you use older machine?

• @AlaErt said:
    i did that. No chance i’m afraid my usb port has a problem.
    BTW another interesting info: i connected a system-1m and a roland tr8s to the maschine+‘ s usb via usb hub, and both are recognized as audio interfaces (besides as midi over usb), which is quite cool, considering that both devices in the past needed a driver to achieve that on osx/win 👍🏻

Oh man. Submit that support ticket now. Sorry to hear.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Do you feel satisfied with the cost and product? Did you use older machine?

Well if Native never changed a thing on the device I’d still be happy with the purchase. It’s my first Maschine and opted for the stand alone because of that.

• same for me. I do understand the complaints i read everywhere (lack of editable automation lanes, piano roll editing, no full komplete support, why not using an mk3 + computer, sound design from scratch) but one has to understand that the perfect standalone thing does not exist. For MY workflow it’s almost perfect at it is, already- for sure WAY better than the MPC. Some of the missing features will be fixed through an update. For me it’s a keeper.
    The only thing that COULD be better would be a standalone ableton push in the future - maybe/ But as i said: Probably a standalone push will have some of the maschine lacks fixed, but at the same time it would almost certainly miss some
    if the m+ great features.

• A little morning jam using the Maschine+ to sequence the goodness that is Korg Module Pro as auv3 in AUM:

• @echoopera said:

@AlaErt said:
    i did that. No chance i’m afraid my usb port has a problem.

Oh man. Submit that support ticket now. Sorry to hear.

wtf... a stupid reboot of the iPad did it. All good. thnx for your support. next step is try to figure out how to use all the 16 inputs of the expert sleepers ES-9 simultaneously on the M+ not "just" 8 ;)

• Awesome. Great to hear!

Get rocking'!

• I’ve always been an MPC guy and never really got into the past Maschines, but I’m looking hard at this one.
    And now the Akai force update as well, man might have to buy one or the other soon!

• Here's a track from a day of using the M+ to sequence the latest update to Korg Module Pro and some great new patches and synth they are offering:

• edited October 2020

Just figured out how to setup Custom Macros for controlling external gear. Let me know if you want the Sound file. You can tweak and add Pages via the desktop app.

• edited October 2020

Some really good news.

Just did a longer test. I have my FocusRite Scarlett18i8 gen 2 plugged in to the USB port of the M+ and all the I/O shows up. What’s great about this is that i have instant access to the following gear hooked up to the Scarlett:
    Microfreak
    Minilogue
    AS-1
    DigiTone
    OctaTrack
    What’s great about this is that all audio is routed thru the Scarlett to the M+ so it’s easy to sample all of my gear and since it’s all connected via an Anker USB Hub i can midi sequence everything.

Super cool to have it all accessible in the Maschine+

Will run more tests today during a jam session. 😬

• It would be awesome if native instruments took the the iMaschine app and made it into a controller for maschine+.

• @stormywaterz said:
    It would be awesome if native instruments took the the iMaschine app and made it into a controller for maschine+.

Why would you want to do that out of curiosity? It would be better the other way around wouldn’t it?