Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Invited this new drummer over last night!

edited October 2020 in Creations

I offered him a beer, but he declined. Apparently he doesn’t drink. Doesn’t eat either! Nor does he smoke, sleep, pee, poop, pay taxes, or complain!

He just shows up to do his job and that’s it. I really like this guy! This drummer guy; that live inside the Soft Drummer app by Luis Martinez.

Entourage

Comments

• It gets much more interesting when iBassist is added..
    Nice..

• Nice job, @Intrepolicious!.

Love that groove!

• @RajahP said:
    It gets much more interesting when iBassist is added..
    Nice..

Thanks!

Y’know, I bought iBassist, but ended up deleting it a while back when I was trying to free up some space on my 64GB IPP. I keep hearing good things about it, but at the time, I just couldn’t gel with it. Maybe I should revisit?

I don’t know if its the way the UI is laid out or the fact that it seems like a “cheat”; where I’m just playing loops of someone else’s playing. That’s a big thing with me; I don’t like using other people’s “loops” in any of my music other than the occasional drum loop. In other words, if I have a loop playing in one of my songs, it’s a loop of my own creation. Even if it’s a simple one, consisting of only a few notes.

That’s why I also deleted apps like “BlocsWave” where it seemed like a cool app and concept, but then realized it’s basically a loop player with a built in “store” of other people’s loops you can buy and arrange into your own songs? I never really got that concept, and feel like it takes away from the musicianship. I guess it’s the difference between a composer or an arranger.

• Sweet. I like the bright pluck juxtaposed with dark deep bass.

• @SNystrom said:
    Nice job, @Intrepolicious!.

Love that groove!

Thanks! I appreciate you listening!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Sweet. I like the bright pluck juxtaposed with dark deep bass.

Thank you! I felt the contrabass went well with this.

• Excellent! Love the Reggae and Funk drummers, too. Oh, also Middle East.

• Very good. Future Drummer is also a marvel.

• Whoa, that’s awesome. Thanks for reminding me to check out Soft Drummer. I got like 3 of lumbeats app and this was a great reminder to check them all out.

• @Schmotown said:
    Excellent! Love the Reggae and Funk drummers, too. Oh, also Middle East.

Thanks! I have my eyes on the Middle East.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Very good. Future Drummer is also a marvel.

Thanks Mike

• Middle East drummer is pretty awesome!

Too bad you missed the 50% discount a month or so ago.

One complaint about your track. It’s become a massive ear worm since listening to the track this morning. I just can’t get it out of my head! 🤗😊👍🏻

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Whoa, that’s awesome. Thanks for reminding me to check out Soft Drummer. I got like 3 of lumbeats app and this was a great reminder to check them all out.

Thank you Seon!

@SNystrom said:
    Middle East drummer is pretty awesome!

Too bad you missed the 50% discount a month or so ago.

One complaint about your track. It’s become a massive ear worm since listening to the track this morning. I just can’t get it out of my head! 🤗😊👍🏻

Well then I must have done something right! lol

• @Intrepolicious- like that tune - very nice. Did you play the keys into ATOM? Didn’t know, that it is possible...
    👍🏽🧔🏼🤙🏽
    Not to neglect: drummer can eat‘n‘drink a lot, I mean really a lot. So Luis Martinez saves us money for more of his apps.

• edited October 2020

Mmmm really? I’d take a real drummer over this any day. I mean a good drummer. Most of those I know will also add backing vocals and play other instruments and have some ideas for the song. Yes, it’s messy, noisy and you might even have to hang out with them but hey, could be worse ;)

• edited October 2020

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Y’know, I bought iBassist, but ended up deleting it a while back when I was trying to free up some space on my 64GB IPP. I keep hearing good things about it, but at the time, I just couldn’t gel with it. Maybe I should revisit?

I don’t know if its the way the UI is laid out or the fact that it seems like a “cheat”; where I’m just playing loops of someone else’s playing. That’s a big thing with me; I don’t like using other people’s “loops” in any of my music other than the occasional drum loop. In other words, if I have a loop playing in one of my songs, it’s a loop of my own creation. Even if it’s a simple one, consisting of only a few notes.

That’s why I also deleted apps like “BlocsWave” where it seemed like a cool app and concept, but then realized it’s basically a loop player with a built in “store” of other people’s loops you can buy and arrange into your own songs? I never really got that concept, and feel like it takes away from the musicianship. I guess it’s the difference between a composer or an arranger.

Nah.. iBassist you can build in the sequencer.. then hit that ‘Make Drums’ button.. pretty amazing what the ‘AI’ comes up with..

Edit.. yet to see anything like it.. even on desktop..

• edited October 2020

@Satie said:
    @Intrepolicious- like that tune - very nice. Did you play the keys into ATOM? Didn’t know, that it is possible...
    👍🏽🧔🏼🤙🏽
    Not to neglect: drummer can eat‘n‘drink a lot, I mean really a lot. So Luis Martinez saves us money for more of his apps.

That’s right. Atom has “Live input” MIDI recording, so you can “play” the MIDI notes into your sequences with your controller as you record, as well as all your standard editing features. Can’t wait for the upcoming update!

Thank you btw!

• @RajahP said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Nah.. iBassist you can build in the sequencer.. then hit that ‘Make Drums’ button.. pretty amazing what the ‘AI’ comes up with..

Edit.. yet to see anything like it.. even on desktop..

Hmm, I’ll have to give it another whirl. Might be time for a new iPad with more space also.

Thanks!

• @supadom said:
    Mmmm really? I’d take a real drummer over this any day. I mean a good drummer. Most of those I know will also add backing vocals and play other instruments and have some ideas for the song. Yes, it’s messy, noisy and you might even have to hang out with them but hey, could be worse ;)

Honestly, I would too. But for the quick n dirty couch compositions, these apps get the job done without pissing off the neighbors. That, and I don’t have to give up all the real estate in my garage.

• edited October 2020

@Intrepolicious said:

@supadom said:

Honestly, I would too. But for the quick n dirty couch compositions, these apps get the job done without pissing off the neighbors. That, and I don’t have to give up all the real estate in my garage.

Agreed, it is a practical as opposed to a gut choice. I remember liking some aspects of it and still occasionally use Logic’s drummer for inspiration but more often than not end up re-recording drums myself because there’s so many variants in actual drummer’s playing that AI equivalents still lag behind.

• @Intrepolicious said:

I agree with you in general, but the slicer in Blocs Wave is an excellent instrument/sequencer in its own right - record your own sample loop live into it and then it can yield great results. As IAAs go it integrates pretty well in an AUM set.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

I feel the same about loops! I tried iBassist but the bass line seem very boring cliché. Maybe I don’t understand how it works.

Nice tune I came back to listen a couple times.

• @ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

I feel the same about loops! I tried iBassist but the bass line seem very boring cliché. Maybe I don’t understand how it works.

Thank you!

Yeah, I reinstalled iBassist yesterday to see what all the fuss is about, but I don’t get it either. Like you, I’m sure it’s a matter of my lack of understanding how it works. I see the “make drums” buttons that connect these apps together somehow, but I still just can’t gel with this app. Maybe watching a few tutorials are in order..

Or, maybe I should just go buy an actual bass guitar... There’s more than one way to skin a cat!

• @Intrepolicious said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Thank you!

Yeah, I reinstalled iBassist yesterday to see what all the fuss is about, but I don’t get it either. Like you, I’m sure it’s a matter of my lack of understanding how it works. I see the “make drums” buttons that connect these apps together somehow, but I still just can’t gel with this app. Maybe watching a few tutorials are in order..

Or, maybe I should just go buy an actual bass guitar... There’s more than one way to skin a cat!

Go for the bass. I am still trying to convince myself I don’t need this one.
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/ca/harley_benton_rb_414cs_classic_series.htm

• edited October 2020

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Thank you!

Sorry y’all not feeling the iBassist thing.. It will take a ‘2 left-hander’ like me 2 lifetimes to play bass like this iBassist (and matching drums grooves). Maybe when ATOM 2 Drops, it’s midi madness will be shared and showcased..

• FYI - You can write your own basslines in iBassist.. it can be as exciting and/or boring as you please..

• @RajahP said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Thank you!

Sorry y’all not feeling the iBassist thing.. It will take a ‘2 left-hander’ like me 2 lifetimes to play bass like this iBassist (and matching drums grooves). Maybe when ATOM 2 Drops, it’s midi madness will be shared and showcased..

Bass is on of the easiest instrument to get started on. I have seen many bassist who after a month of playing were in bands. It is one note at a time after all for most bassist.

Not trying to put down bassist there are so amazing bassist. But to be considered a competent bassist does not take much practice and time. To master the instrument well that like anything it takes effort and talent.

• edited October 2020

@ecou said:

@RajahP said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@ecou said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice..

Thanks!

Thank you!

Bass is on of the easiest instrument to get started on. I have seen many bassist who after a month of playing were in bands. It is one note at a time after all for most bassist.

Not trying to put down bassist there are so amazing bassist. But to be considered a competent bassist does not take much practice and time. To master the instrument well that like anything it takes effort and talent.

Guess, I’m a techie-push-button-ey kind of guy..
    maybe in the next life... I’ll have that talent..

• @royor said:
    FYI - You can write your own basslines in iBassist....

I see that. I get the appeal of iBassist, and I can see why a lot of people like it. It just seems like a complicated app at first. There’s no doubt a learning curve to it. (As with all of Martinez’s apps) I think it also helps to know a bit of music theory going in so one is familiar with the lingo used in various sections of the app.

Thing is, with me, by the time I figure out how to use the app, I could have already written a bassline for my simple synth stuff in Atom of another sequencer etc. and moved on to the next song.

I think maybe if I wanted to do a piece that had a more intricate bass part, or one where the bass is more of a centerpiece to the song, then learning iBassist could be helpful.

@royor said:

it can be as exciting and/or boring as you please

Just like a real bass. Take this song I posted for example; it has a pretty dang simple bass line. That’s what I wanted. I could have added some kind of Stuart Ham Neo-classical bass part to it, but it wouldn’t be the same.

I think it’s great that we have so many options! You can have a piece like this, with a simple bass line that’s a driving part of the rhythm, where you can let an “app” handle your light work, or if you want a more “bass-centric”, bass virtuoso part, well there’s an app for that too, that is, if you don’t want to learn how to play the actual instrument.

@RajahP @ecou

• @Intrepolicious Cool track.. I think Soft Drummer worked perfectly in this case.. it left space for the plucky panning element to move + still be heard clearly.. good sound choices..
    Using the word boring in my original comment (re: writing your own bassline in iBassist) was a poor choice.. I should have used the word simple.. I just wanted to remind iBassist owners that you could write your own line, in case they weren't aware of it.. or had forgotten..

You're right about writing a bassline quicker in Atom instead of firing up iBassist and searching for a line that'll work.. or trying to write the same line in iBassist.. I say, if you hear it in your head, write it as you hear it.. Especially if you think you're going to forget that line right away.. I live by that rule.. hum, tap, whistle, sing that line into a voice memo or something first.. you can then follow that when it comes time to record + then pick the appropriate instrument + sound.. capture the initial inspiration BEFORE it's gone..
    This is one of Atom's strengths.. quick + easy..

The cool thing about iBassist for me is that it can adapt the bassline to the particular flavour of chord.. e.g. major, minor, seventh etc.. So no matter what the chord progression is, iBassist will follow and change certain notes (3rd, flat 3rd, 7th, flat 7th) according to what is needed and/or written in the original bassline. That can very handy BUT It doesn't always workout.. As you already mentioned, a little bit of music theory could be beneficial BUT is not a necessity.. happy accidents and all that..

FWIW, DigiKeys does a similar thing in its sequencer when you pick the right key for your song.. great for melodies or catchy riffs (+basslines) that need to follow the changes.. (as an aside, I think you could've easily used 1 instance of DigiKeys for the 3 Atoms that you had here.. it's pretty useful for this kind of stuff.. and a nice option to have when you're attempting to run more than 4 Atoms)..

So.. if you have a very cool bassline that runs through major + minor etc.. chords, you might only have to write ONE bassline (in iBassist) and it'll change to match.. whereas in Atom, you'll probably have to write a bassline for each different chord change (or the entire progression).. (that may change in Atom 2.0) and nothing wrong with that as you can make each line unique..
    Of course the other bonus (with iBassist) is that it can pick a drum pattern (for ANY of the Lumbeat Drummers) that will match up quite well with the included factory bass patterns.. I love to test out what Afro Latin, Middle East + Brazilian Drummers come up with anyway.. as an added percussion track.. very cool stuff..
    This is not a huge deal if you're going to write everything from scratch anyway..

Totally agree.. It is great that we have SO MANY options.. pick your poison + if that doesn't seem to be gelling, try something else.. that too, can become a major time waster.. If you don't have ALL the parts figured out yet, Lumbeat apps (or MANY other iOS apps) may be of good use..

As always, YMMV..