Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tips for Finding Public Domain Samples?

I’m trying to find some samples from old television or radio shows. I’m trying to figure out the best way to find what I’m looking for. I don’t really have the time or money to try to clear the samples I’d actually want so I’m looking for something in the public domain.

I’m looking for something kind of eerie like the Twilight Zone. That was my original idea but I’m sure getting CBS to license those samples won’t be cheap.

Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Check out zvon memory collection. Last time I checked he had like 3 or 4 free collections. Cool because they are labeled. Internet archive also has a bunch of stuff, but it is a bear to search.

• edited October 2020

Yup, Archive.org is your friend. A lot of it gets posted to youtube but archrive.org is good for finding leads so to speak.

• edited October 2020

My favorite way to do it is to grab the mp3s off of archive.org or download videos off youtube using PlayerXtreme and then just queue the sound files up in a daw (desktop or Cubasis) and then just jump along the timeline. Some episodes have better sound quality than others of course. I typically gravitate to a tone or a character/actor. Doesn’t take long to just skip through a 30 min episode. You usually know within a couple minutes if an episode has much potential for what you are looking for.

• @AudioGus what do you put in search bar on YouTube? Seems less tedious to find on YT if you know the right search terms. Archive is almost too vast.

• +1 Archive.org ..90% of it is in the public domain but if not it shows the license attribution info for each sample. Multiple download formats as well.

And like @AudioGus said, old radio shows like Suspense are great. All these are in public domain:

Secret Chamber
    Beyond Midnight
    Escape
    Quiet Please
    Nightfall
    Macabre
    The Weird Circle
    Lights Out
    The Black Mass

..but if I'm not mistaken, you'd also be fine sampling an audio clip from twilight zone, without having to worry about licensing.

• edited October 2020

@king_picadillo said:
    @AudioGus what do you put in search bar on YouTube? Seems less tedious to find on YT if you know the right search terms. Archive is almost too vast.

Nice thing with archive.org is you can download tons of files quickly. So I would think the typical sleuthing of choice (web, Bittergums ;) ) then just punch it into archive.org and see if it has a huge batch download.

Here is a link of every single X Minus One in a single zip file for example...

https://archive.org/compress/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles/formats=VBR MP3&file=/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles.zip

Found on this page...

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles

• @BitterGums said:
    +1 Archive.org ..90% of it is in the public domain but if not it shows the license attribution info for each sample. Multiple download formats as well.

And like @AudioGus said, old radio shows like Suspense are great. All these are in public domain:

Secret Chamber
    Beyond Midnight
    Escape
    Quiet Please
    Nightfall
    Macabre
    The Weird Circle
    Lights Out
    The Black Mass

..but if I'm not mistaken, you'd also be fine sampling an audio clip from twilight zone, without having to worry about licensing.

Why do you say that regarding the Twilight Zone?

• @AudioGus thank you very much for the help and examples

• @DukeWonder said:
    I’m trying to find some samples from old television or radio shows. I’m trying to figure out the best way to find what I’m looking for. I don’t really have the time or money to try to clear the samples I’d actually want so I’m looking for something in the public domain.

I’m looking for something kind of eerie like the Twilight Zone. That was my original idea but I’m sure getting CBS to license those samples won’t be cheap.

Anyone have any tips?

INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH samples on sale on LOOPMASTERS.COM.

They have one.

• edited October 2020

@DukeWonder said:

@BitterGums said:
    +1 Archive.org ..90% of it is in the public domain but if not it shows the license attribution info for

Why do you say that regarding the Twilight Zone?

Well at first I was assuming you meant spoken samples in which case, yeah CBS still owns Twilight Zone but if you were just sampling some brief dialogue from an episode i think you'd be fine because I;m not aware of any algorithm that can scan for samples from old television shows the way YouTube can for recorded music. and copyright law is weird before 1972 but it IS still there. It's a legal grey area and not 100% okay but if it's an independent release and you aren't making a ton of money off it, you'll likely be okay. [ AND If it ever gets on a bigger label and sees wider release they'll have a lawyer who's job it is to clear samples and get permission etc.]

IF you were talking about sampling some of the music from the shows it's a different story. But i'd still do it. ( ! ) ! And sampling from television is slightly different than sampling from pre-recorded released music. It has something to do with the material 'not competing' with each-other in the marketplace as one is music and one is television. [] i.e. CBS isn't in danger of not selling twilight zone episodes suddenly because there are people who want to buy your song. They don't compete. Your music won't detract from the profits of the original work or act as a replacement.
    and If they did ever decide it's worth their time/$ to address it you'd get a cease and desist before anything else.